04 December 2021 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Remarks by Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III at the Reagan National Defense Forum (As Delivered) DoD 04 Dec 2021
- US accuses Russia, China of planning invasion; warns them of consequences Press TV 04 Dec 2021 -- The Biden administration has accused Russia and China of planning invasions of the US allies, warning them of consequences if Moscow and Beijing launched any offensives.
- Austin Tells Reagan Forum How U.S. Will Take on Challenge of China DoD News 04 Dec 2021 -- "China is not 10-feet tall," Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III said at the Reagan Library in California today, and the United States is not a "country that fears competition."
- US Not Panicking Over China's Newfound Military Might VOA 04 Dec 2021 -- Top U.S. defense officials admit recent Chinese military advancements, including the test of a hypersonic weapon system, are reason to worry, but the secretary of defense says if Beijing was hoping to intimidate or scare the U.S., that is not happening.
- Р5 Conference Paris, 2-3 December, 2021 FINAL Joint communique Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 04 Dec 2021
- Zemmour Says He 'Would Like' to Withdraw France From NATO Sputnik 05 Dec 2021 -- French far-right presidential candidate Eric Zemmour said on Sunday that he would like France to leave the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
- Biden to talk with Putin amid US accusations against Russia Press TV 04 Dec 2021 -- US President Joe Biden will talk with Russian President Vladimir Putin next week amid American accusations against Russia of a military buildup on the border with Ukraine.
- Russian Ruling Party Sticks With Medvedev As Chairman, Other Familiar Faces RFE/RL 04 Dec 2021 -- Dmitry Medvedev, the former president and longtime sidekick to Vladimir Putin, has won a new five-year term as chairman of the ruling United Russia party.
- Biden, Putin Set Video Call For Next Week To Discuss Ukraine, Other Issues RFE/RL 04 Dec 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden and Russian leader Vladimir Putin will hold a secure video call on December 7 to discuss Ukraine and other topics, the White House and Kremlin have confirmed.
- Statement by Press Secretary Jen Psaki on President Biden's Upcoming Call with President Vladimir Putin of Russia The White House 04 Dec 2021
- US Defense Secretary Talks Regional Stability with Japanese Counterpart VOA 04 Dec 2021 -- The United States is reaching out to more allies in the Indo-Pacific, hoping to keep tensions in the region from boiling over amid growing concerns about China and North Korea.
- U.S. Afghan Envoy Urges Taliban To Ensure Women's Rights In 'All Aspects Of Society' RFE/RL Gandhara 04 Dec 2021 -- The U.S. special representative for Afghanistan, Thomas West, has welcomed a Taliban decree calling for the enforcement of certain women's rights, but said much more is needed to protect their rights "in every aspect of Afghan society."
- France's Macron Says Europeans Working To Open Diplomatic Mission In Kabul RFE/RL Gandhara 04 Dec 2021 -- The U.S. special representative for Afghanistan, Thomas West, has welcomed a Taliban decree calling for the enforcement of certain women's rights, but said much more is needed to protect their rights "in every aspect of Afghan society."French President Emmanuel Macron has said several European countries are working on opening up a common site for diplomatic representation in Kabul that would enable their ambassadors to return to Afghanistan following the Taliban takeover in August.
- Macron: France, European countries seeking diplomatic representation in Afghanistan Press TV 04 Dec 2021 -- Several European countries are considering opening a common site for diplomatic representation in Afghanistan following Kabul's fall to the Taliban in August, says French President Emmanuel Macron.
- US Special Envoy Welcomes Taliban Decree Expanding Women's Rights in Afghanistan Sputnik 04 Dec 2021 -- US special envoy for Afghanistan Thomas West welcomed an order of the Taliban*, under which a woman can not be married against her will, but noted that even more is needed to be done to ensure women's rights in all spheres in Afghanistan.
- French Foreign Ministry Says Evacuated Over 300 People From Afghanistan Sputnik 04 Dec 2021 -- The French Foreign Ministry has said that it's evacuated nearly 260 Afghans, 11 French citizens, and about 60 Dutch nationals from Afghanistan, with the assistance of Qatar.
- Joint Statement on Reports of Summary Killings and Enforced Disappearances in Afghanistan US Dept. of State 04 Dec 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released initially by the Governments of the United States of America, Australia, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Denmark, the European Union, Finland, France, Germany, Japan, the Netherlands, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and Ukraine.
- Pakistan to Host OIC-led International Meeting on Afghanistan VOA 04 Dec 2021 -- Pakistan said Saturday it will host a conference of foreign ministers from Islamic countries later this month in a bid to avert a looming humanitarian and economic crisis in Afghanistan.
- Russia dismisses US media reports about potential invasion of Ukraine Press TV 04 Dec 2021 -- Russia has dismissed new allegations by the media in the United States that it is planning a large-scale attack on Ukraine, accusing Washington of seeking to aggravate the situation through blaming Moscow at a time of tensions between the two neighbors.
- Biden Says He'll Make It 'Very Difficult' For Russia To Attack Ukraine RFE/RL 04 Dec 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden has said that he is prepared to "make it very, very difficult" for Russia to launch an attack against Ukraine, amid growing Western concerns over Moscow's intentions in the face of a Russian military buildup near the Ukrainian border.
- US Intel Accuses Russia of Planning 'Multi-Front Offensive' Against Ukraine as Early as 2022 Sputnik 04 Dec 2021 -- Over the last several weeks, tensions have remained high between the US and Russia as American authorities have accused Moscow of laying the groundwork for a potential invasion of neighbouring Ukraine. The Kremlin has repeatedly rejected the unsubstantiated claims.
- Kremlin Says Biden and Putin to Discuss Ukraine Crisis Next Week VOA 04 Dec 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden and Russian President Vladimir Putin are set to discuss rising tensions Tuesday along the Russian-Ukranian border, where a Russian troop buildup is seen by the West as a sign of a potential invasion.
- Attacks Kill Dozens of Displaced People in Eastern DR Congo VOA 04 Dec 2021 -- The U.N. refugee agency has expressed outrage at the sharp rise in deadly attacks by armed groups in the Democratic Republic of Congo's Ituri and South Kivu provinces.
- Israeli spyware Pegasus used to hack into phones of 11 US diplomats: Reports Press TV 04 Dec 2021 -- Apple Inc. has notified at least 11 US diplomats that their iPhones have been hacked by unknown assailants using Pegasus spyware developed by the Israeli cyberarms firm NSO Group, according to multiple reports.
- Vladimir Putin addressed participants in third phase of United Russia party 20th congress President of Russia 04 Dec 2021
- 'Bathed In Light': Glowing Bio Of Strongman Kadyrov's Father Now Required Reading In Chechen Schools RFE/RL 04 Dec 2021 -- In March 2019, strongman Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov's speech marking Constitution Day in the North Caucasus region took an unusual turn: He compared the region's turbulent history in the 1990s and early 2000s to the popular television series Game Of Thrones.
- China issues white paper on its democracy People's Daily 04 Dec 2021 -- China's State Council Information Office on Saturday released a white paper titled "China: Democracy That Works."
- Update: China expounds on its democracy with confidence, strength Global Times 04 Dec 2021 -- China released on Saturday a white paper on its democratic model, elaborating in a comprehensive way with details and examples on how the whole-process democracy with people's full participation in China works, why China can't copy the so-called Western model of democracy, and why China is confident and has the strength in expounding on its democracy.
- White paper expounds on China's whole-process people's democracy under CPC leadership People's Daily 04 Dec 2021 -- A white paper released on Saturday has expounded on China's whole-process people's democracy under the leadership of the Communist Party of China (CPC).
- China releases white paper on whole-process democracy Global Times 04 Dec 2021 -- China on Saturday released a white paper on its democratic model, elaborating with details and examples on how the whole-process democracy with people's full participation works in China.
- Chinese regulators say Evergrande default an individual case, impact controllable People's Daily 04 Dec 2021 -- The recent default of property developer China Evergrande Group is an individual case and will pose little impact on the market, the country's regulatory authorities said Friday.
- Xi pledges enhanced relations with Laos, PRP People's Daily 04 Dec 2021 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee and Chinese president, met with Thongloun Sisoulith, general secretary of the Lao People's Revolutionary Party (PRP) Central Committee and Lao president, urging enhanced ties between the two countries and parties as well as pragmatic cooperation.
- Xi calls for adding momentum to cooperation between China, LAC countries People's Daily 04 Dec 2021 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping addressed the third Ministers' Meeting of the Forum of China and the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (China-CELAC Forum) via video link on Friday, calling for adding momentum to cooperation between China and Latin American and Caribbean (LAC) countries.
- China-Laos Railway roars in full swing, brings Laos into modern transport era amid BRI endeavor Global Times 04 Dec 2021 -- The 1,035-kilometer-long China-Laos Railway, a signature project under the China-proposed Belt and Road Initiative, officially went into full operation on Friday, catapulting the landlocked Southeast Asian nation into a Chinese standard-powered modern railway era that honors China's promise of enabling inclusive growth along the BRI routes.
- China-Laos Railway opens, putting Laos on track from landlocked to land-linked People's Daily 04 Dec 2021 -- The China-Laos Railway, a landmark project of high-quality Belt and Road cooperation, started operation on Friday.
- China invasion attempt of Taiwan 'potentially disastrous': Blinken CNA 04 Dec 2021 -- U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Friday that any move by China to invade Taiwan would be "potentially disastrous," with Washington's top diplomat reiterating that the U.S. remains committed to ensuring Taiwan's self-defense capability.
- Pentagon Chief Says US Ready to Support Taiwan in Face of China's Military Rise Sputnik 04 Dec 2021 -- China is rapidly strengthening its nuclear capabilities, but Washington is prepared for competition and will also work on supporting Taiwan's ability to defend itself, US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said.
- Blinken: Any Move by China to Invade Taiwan Will Result in 'Terrible Consequences' Sputnik 04 Dec 2021 -- China continues to perceive Taiwan as a breakaway province, while the authorities in Taipei have repeatedly rejected Beijing's proposal to stick to the "one country, two systems" principle.
- Four Iranian satellites in line for launch IRNA 05 Dec 2021 -- Four Iranian satellites are going through the final tests to be ready for launch soon.
- Iran's Army Says Air-Defense 'Test' Behind Blast Over Nuclear City Of Natanz RFE/RL 04 Dec 2021 -- Iranian state television has said the country's military fired a missile to test air defenses over Natanz, a city that houses nuclear sites.
- Briefing With Senior State Department Official On the Seventh Round of the JCPOA Talks US Dept. of State 04 Dec 2021
- US Official Accuses Iran of Reneging on Nuclear Compromises VOA 04 Dec 2021 -- A senior U.S. State Department official on Saturday accused Iran of reneging on the compromises it made in the last round of talks to revive the 2015 nuclear agreement and making more demands in its most recent proposals.
- US renews sanctions waiver for Iraq to import Iranian energy Press TV 04 Dec 2021 -- The United States has granted Iraq a 120-day extension to a sanctions waiver allowing the Arab country to import energy from neighboring Iran.
- Illegal gold mines operate unchecked in Myanmar's Kachin state since coup Radio Free Asia 04 Dec 2021 -- Illegal gold mine operations have run unchecked in the capital of Myanmar's Kachin state since the military seized power 10 months ago, raising concerns for villagers who spent years protesting a massive Chinese-backed dam project in the early 2000s.
- Belarus Alleges Border Violation By Ukrainian Military Helicopter RFE/RL 04 Dec 2021 -- Belarus's border authority has alleged, without producing evidence, that a Ukrainian military helicopter flew up to a kilometer into Belarusian territory, underscoring increasingly tense bilateral relations as Minsk and its ally Moscow test Western resolve in the region.
- Belarusian FM: Minsk is ready to end confrontation with West Press TV 04 Dec 2021 -- Belarus is ready to end confrontation with Western nations, Foreign Minister Vladimir Makei has said, adding that Minsk has made firm proposals to that effect.
- 'First Brother': Bolat Nazarbaev Goes From Plumber To President's Spoiled Sibling RFE/RL 04 Dec 2021 -- They say you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family.
- Joint Statement on French President's Visit to Saudi Arabia SPA 04 Dec 2021 -- A joint statement was issued today on today's visit of the French President Emmanuel Macron to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|