31 January 2021 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- US-led military convoy targeted in Iraq's Babil province Press TV 31 Jan 2021 -- A US-led military coalition's logistics support convoy has been targeted in the central Iraqi province of Babil.
- Afghan Negotiators Say Taliban Must Return Soon To Peace Talks RFE/RL Gandhara 31 Jan 2021 -- A member of the Afghan government's peace negotiating team said on January 31 that if the Taliban doesn't return to peace talks in Qatar soon, the Kabul government could recall its representatives before a deal is reached.
- Biden Faces Calls To Obtain Release Of U.S. Man Kidnapped In Afghanistan RFE/RL Gandhara 31 Jan 2021 -- Relatives of Mark Frerichs, a U.S. contractor thought to have been kidnapped by a Taliban-linked militant group, are calling on U.S. President Joe Biden not to withdraw additional troops from Afghanistan unless Frerichs is released from captivity.
- FM Zarif: Iran ready to facilitate dialog between Afghan gov't, Taliban, other groups IRNA 31 Jan 2021 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said in a meeting with the Taliban delegation in Tehran on Sunday that Iran is ready to facilitate dialog among Taliban, Afghan Government, and other Afghan groups and hoped that with the restoration of peace, the pretext for occupation will come to an end in Afghanistan.
- Taliban delegation meets FM Zarif in Tehran ISNA 31 Jan 2021 -- A delegation of the Taliban, led by deputy head of the group's political bureau Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, held talks with Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif at a meeting in Tehran on Sunday.
- Iran backs Islamic government in Afghanistan representing all factions : Zarif Press TV 31 Jan 2021 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the Islamic Republic supports the formation of an Islamic government in neighboring Afghanistan, which represents people from all political groups and factions of the country.
- US, Allies Slam Taliban for Destroying Vital Infrastructure as Peace Talks Stall Sputnik 31 Jan 2021 -- The United States and its NATO allies demanded on Sunday that the Taliban end a string of assassinations, kidnappings and destruction of vital infrastructure in Afghanistan, after intra-Afghan talks on national reconciliation grounded to a halt.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Gabrielle Giffords Returns from Rotational Deployment US Navy 31 Jan 2021 -- Independence-variant littoral combat ship USS Gabrielle Giffords (LCS 10) returned to its homeport of Naval Base San Diego, January 31, following a 17-month rotational deployment to the U.S. 7th Fleet and U.S. 4th Fleet areas of operation.
- New US Administration Demonstrated Political Will in Extending New START Treaty, Kremlin Says Sputnik 31 Jan 2021 -- Earlier this week, Russia and the US agreed to prolong the US-Russian Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START) by five years. Russian President Vladimir Putin ratified the agreement on Friday.
- Civil Defense in Jazan: Military Projectile Launched by Iranian-Backed Terrorist Houthi Militia Falls Near Al-Harth General Hospital With No Losses SPA 31 Jan 2021 -- The Spokesman for the Civil Defense Directorate in Jazan Region, Colonel Mohammed bin Yahiya Al-Ghamdi has stated that the directorate received a report about the fall of a military projectile launched by the Iranian-backed Houthi terrorist militia from inside Yemen towards Al-Harth Governorate in Jazan Region.
- 11 killed in car bomb explosions in Syria's Aleppo province Press TV 31 Jan 2021 -- At least eleven people were killed when two separate car explosions rocked Syria's northern Aleppo province, a London-based monitoring group reports.
- Children among dead following bomb attacks in northern Syria UN News 31 Jan 2021 -- Several people, including four children, are reported dead, with many more injured, following a weekend of deadly bomb attacks in towns in northern rural Aleppo, Syria.
- UN Warns of Dangers to 120,000 in Northern Syria VOA 31 Jan 2021 -- United Nations aid agencies warn more than 120,000 people who have fled war in northern Syria are struggling to survive weeks of torrential rains and heavy winds that have flooded and wreaked havoc on their campsites.
- Fresh Clashes Erupt Between Kurdish, Government Forces in Northeast Syria VOA 31 Jan 2021 -- New clashes were reported Sunday between Kurdish forces and militias affiliated with the Syrian government in a major city in northeastern Syria.
- Iraq arrests top Daesh informant in Saladin province Press TV 31 Jan 2021 -- The Military Intelligence Directorate of the Iraqi Ministry of Defense says a top Daesh informant has been arrested in a suburb of Shirqat town in Saladin province.
- US Coalition Says Joint Operation Killed Daesh Commander in Iraq After Baghdad Takes Sole Credit Sputnik 31 Jan 2021 -- The Iraqi and Syrian militaries and their allies have spent the past three years engaged in mop-up operations to liquidate the remnants of the so-called Daesh (ISIS)* 'Caliphate' – a vast jihadist-controlled territory which once stretched across wide swathes of northern and western Iraq and eastern Syria.
- Huge Explosion Rocks Hotel in Somalia Capital VOA 31 Jan 2021 -- A car bomb exploded near a popular hotel in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, Sunday. The explosion was followed by a shootout between militants and police.
- US Capitol Police beef up security amid domestic terror concerns Press TV 31 Jan 2021 -- US Capitol Police have beefed up security amid concerns of home-grown terrorism and threats against the nation's lawmakers.
- Burmese Military Arrests of Civilian Government Leaders US Dept. of State 31 Jan 2021
- Statement by White House Spokesperson Jen Psaki on Burma The White House 31 Jan 2021
- Aung San Suu Kyi, Ruling Party Leaders Arrested in Sweeping Myanmar Military Crackdown Radio Free Asia 31 Jan 2021 -- Myanmar's military has arrested leader Aung San Suu Kyi, the country's president, and state ministers in wave of detentions of ruling National League for Democracy figures an early Monday morning that followed rising tensions over disputed 2020 election results, an NLD spokesman said.
- Myanmar Leader Aung San Suu Kyi, Others Detained by Military VOA 31 Jan 2021 -- Myanmar's de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi and a number of other ruling party officials were detained Monday, a spokesperson said.
- Myanmar Leader, President Reportedly Arrested Amid Assumed 'Military Coup' Sputnik 31 Jan 2021 -- Earlier, it was reported that tensions had escalated in Myanmar between the government and the military, sparking fears of a possible coup, as the army reportedly believes that the nation's recent election was fraudulent.
- Russian Police Deploy Batons, Tasers As More Than 4,000 Detained Amid Nationwide Protests RFE/RL 31 Jan 2021 -- Russian police used batons and tasers on peaceful protesters after tens of thousands of citizens took to the streets for a second-straight weekend to demand the release of jailed opposition politician Aleksei Navalny and voice their discontent with the government.
- Thousands Detained in Pro-Navalny Rallies Across Russia VOA 31 Jan 2021 -- Thousands protested in cities across Russia on Sunday, defying threats of arrest by the government for a second straight weekend, demanding the release of jailed opposition leader Alexey Navalny.
- Russian police arrest hundreds of pro-Navalny protesters Press TV 31 Jan 2021 -- Russian police have arrested hundreds of people who staged illegal protests in support of detained Western-backed blogger Alexei Navalny.
- Unauthorised Rallies in Support of Navalny Held in Moscow and St. Petersburg Sputnik 31 Jan 2021 -- On 23 January, a number of Russian cities were hit by protests in support of opposition figure Alexei Navalny, who was detained in Moscow earlier this month for probation violations. The police warned that the demonstrations were not authorised and reminded rally-goers about coronavirus-related restrictions on public gatherings.
- Kremlin says Russia, US need intensive dialog to resolve 'deep differences' Press TV 31 Jan 2021 -- Moscow says Russian President Vladimir Putin and his new American counterpart Joe Biden have confirmed that deep differences between the two countries need to be resolved in an intensive dialog.
- Britain Allowing Hong Kongers to Seek Residency Under New Policy VOA 31 Jan 2021 -- Millions of Hong Kong residents who seek to leave the territory amid a new national security law imposed by China are now able to apply to live and work in Britain.
- China will take 'further action' after derecognizing BN(O) passports Global Times 31 Jan 2021 -- China has officially withdrawn its recognition of British National (Overseas), or BN(O), passports as a valid travel and ID document starting from Sunday (January 31) as the UK began accepting citizenship applications for BN(O)-eligible Hong Kong residents starting on the same day. Experts said this is just the first of many countermeasures that China can take to retaliate against the UK regarding the violation of China's sovereignty.
- Playing the 'BN(O) card' a losing game for UK: Global Times editorial Global Times 31 Jan 2021 -- The UK started from Sunday implementing new policies to accept citizenship applications for Hong Kong residents who possess British National (Overseas) [BN(O)] passports. The Chinese Foreign Ministry and the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government have announced they will "no longer recognize this passport as a valid travel document or for identification" starting from Sunday.
- Chinese central govt agencies blast UK for betraying trust over so-called BNO passport for HK residents Global Times 31 Jan 2021 -- Both the liaison office of the central government in Hong Kong and the Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office of the State Council denounced the UK's new immigration scheme which grants a pathway to citizenship for Hong Kong residents with BN(O) passports, calling it an act of treachery and manipulation to turn a large proportion of the Hong Kong people into "second-class citizens."
- Britain betrays trust over so-called BNO passport: various sectors in Hong Kong People's Daily 31 Jan 2021 -- In response to the British government's announcement of the so-called British National Overseas (BNO) passport and visa policy, various sectors in Hong Kong said it was a breach of trust and justice, and that it was natural for China to oppose it and take countermeasures.
- British citizenship plan for Hong Kong residents leaves China less than impressed Press TV 31 Jan 2021 -- A British plan to offer Hong Kong residents a path to British citizenship will take effect on Sunday (January 31).
- First nuclear unit with Hualong One reactor starts commercial operation People's Daily 31 Jan 2021 -- China's first nuclear power unit using Hualong One, a domestically designed third-generation reactor, entered commercial operations, paving the way for mass construction and export.
- Chinese, U.S. military aircraft fly near Taiwan's airspace CNA 31 Jan 2021 -- Five Chinese military aircraft flew into Taiwan's southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Sunday, the same day the Ministry of National Defense (MND) revealed a United States military reconnaissance aircraft was monitored flying close to Taiwan's airspace.
- Recent Chinese intrusions into Taiwan's ADIZ aimed at U.S.: analyst CNA 31 Jan 2021 -- Amid Beijing's frequent air sorties into Taiwan's southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ), the two largest maneuvers on Jan. 23 and 24 were directed more at the new Joe Biden administration of the United States than Taiwan, according to an expert with a government-funded think tank in Taiwan.
- PLA holds exercises near Taiwan Straits almost daily in Jan, warning on 'independence' Global Times 31 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) reportedly sent warplanes for exercises near the Taiwan Straits almost every day of the first month of 2021, and analysts said that the Chinese mainland has talked the talk by warning that "Taiwan independence" means war, and it is also walking the walk by preparing to fight the possible war through exercises, so foreign and Taiwan secessionist forces should not miscalculate.
- S Korean Opposition Seeks Probe Into Seoul's Alleged Plan to Build NPP in N Korea, Reports Say Sputnik 31 Jan 2021 -- The main opposition party in South Korea, the People Power Party (PPP), has called for an investigation into the government's alleged intentions to help build a nuclear power plant (NPP) in North Korea, the Yonhap news agency reported on Sunday.
- Iran writes letter about removing sanctions to IAEA IRNA 31 Jan 2021 -- Iran's Ambassador and Permanent Representative to International Organizations in Vienna Kazem Gharibabadi said on Sunday that a letter has been written and sent to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and its member-states about the backgrounds and reasons of Majlis' law of strategic measure for sanctions removal.
- Iran raps French President's comments on new nuclear deal ISNA 31 Jan 2021 -- The spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran dismissed the French president's recent remarks about the need for a new nuclear deal with Tehran.
- Iran's Parliament speaker says US must prove commitment to JCPOA, lift sanctions Press TV 31 Jan 2021 -- Iran's Parliament speaker says instead of setting preconditions for returning to the JCPOA, the administration of US President Joe Biden must first prove its commitment to the nuclear deal by offering a roadmap to the removal of unilateral sanctions imposed on Tehran.
- Belarus Police Detain More Than 160 As Protests Against Lukashenka's Rule Continue RFE/RL 31 Jan 2021 -- Police in Belarus detained more than 160 people during demonstrations on January 31 calling for longtime strongman Alyaksandr Lukashenka to step down.
- Ukrainian Security Service Raids Aeronautics Firm's Board Meeting After Kyiv Sanctions Potential Investors RFE/RL 31 Jan 2021 -- Ukraine's state security service (SBU) is investigating a shareholder meeting of Motor Sich, the maker of jet engines for the defense industry, after the government imposed sanctions against Chinese investors seeking to purchase a stake in the company.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|