26 December 2020 Military News
- No U.S. Troops? Taliban In Gov't? Peace? What Lies Ahead For Afghanistan In 2021 RFE/RL Gandhara 26 Dec 2020 -- The war in Afghanistan - the world's deadliest ongoing conflict - enters a crucial phase in 2021.
- Police Targeted In Spate Of Kabul Bombings RFE/RL Gandhara 26 Dec 2020 -- At least two Afghan police officers were killed in a spate of bomb attacks in the capital, Kabul, on December 26.
- Afghan police officers latest victims of bombings in capital Press TV 26 Dec 2020 -- These past couple of days have been deeply disturbing for Afghanistan's capital.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Iraqi govt. urged to take Trump's pardons for Blackwater guards to intl. court, UNSC Press TV 26 Dec 2020 -- A member of the security and defense committee in the Iraqi parliament has sharply criticized US President Donald Trump's decision to pardon four former Blackwater contractors jailed over the killing of 14 Iraqi civilians, calling on the Baghdad government to take the case to an international court as well as the UN Security.
- Russian 'Doomsday' Plane Theft: Details of Equipment Heist Emerge Sputnik 26 Dec 2020 -- Over 30 radio station units were nicked earlier this month from one of the hatches of a Russian Il-80 – one of the four jets currently in service in the country, which can serve as an airborne command point should such a necessity arise.
- Japan declares Taiwan as 'red line,' seeks Biden's backing against Chinese 'aggression' Press TV 26 Dec 2020 -- Japan's deputy defense minister has taken a tough stance against "aggressive" China, declaring Taiwan's safety a "red line" and calling on US president-elect Joe Biden to "be strong" in backing the island territory claimed by Beijing in the face of a Chinese aggression.
- The Joint Forces Command of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen: Terrorist Houthi Militia Launches Ballistic Missile (Saturday) Morning from ('Amran) Gov., Falls Short in (Al-Jawf) Gov. SPA 26 Dec 2020 -- Statement by the Official Spokesman of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen Brigadier General Turki Al-Malki
- Iraqi PM Seemingly Wins Tug-of-War With Pro-Iranian Militias Over Rocket Attacks on US Embassy VOA 26 Dec 2020 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Mustapha al-Kadhimi appears to have come out on top in a battle with pro-Iranian Shi'ite militias allegedly responsible for recent rocket attacks on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad. Arab media is reporting Saturday the alleged leader behind the attacks is being held by government forces, along with several accomplices.
- Iraq's prime minister highlights security, warns of firm response if necessary after rocket attack Press TV 26 Dec 2020 -- A week after several rockets targeted the US embassy in Baghdad, Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi has warned that his government is ready for a "decisive confrontation" if necessary to ensure the country's security after several people were arrested in connection with the attack.
- UN hails prisoner exchange between Libyan parties as part of Geneva ceasefire deal Press TV 26 Dec 2020 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has welcomed the exchange of prisoners between warring parties as part of a ceasefire agreement inked more than two months ago in Geneva.
- Russia defends envoy amid Israel's ire over criticism of Tel Aviv Press TV 26 Dec 2020 -- Russia has defended its envoy to Tel Aviv, who was summoned to the Israeli foreign ministry over an interview critical of the occupying entity, saying his remarks are perfectly in line with Moscow's well-known position on Middle East issues.
- Death toll from western Ethiopia massacre climbs to 222: Red Cross Press TV 26 Dec 2020 -- The death toll from a recent attack in Ethiopia's Benishangul-Gumuz region has climbed to 222 people, said a Red Cross volunteer in the African country.
- Children at Risk of Deadly Diseases in Mozambique's Volatile Cabo Delgado Province VOA 26 Dec 2020 -- A quarter of a million displaced children in Mozambique's conflict-ridden Cabo Delgado province are at risk of deadly diseases with the onset of the rainy season UNICEF warns.
- Three UN peacekeepers killed in Central African Republic on eve of national elections Press TV 26 Dec 2020 -- Unidentified "armed combatants" have killed three UN peacekeepers in the Central African Republic (CAR), the United Nations says, as the country prepares for Sunday's key presidential and legislative elections amid the continuation of fighting between rebels and government forces.
- UN chief urges peaceful, credible elections in Central African Republic UN News 26 Dec 2020 -- On the eve of general elections in the Central African Republic (CAR), the United Nations Secretary-General has called on all stakeholders to ensure that the polls are held in a peaceful, inclusive and credible manner.
- 3 Peacekeepers Killed in Central African Republic Ahead of Election VOA 26 Dec 2020 -- Three United Nations peacekeepers from Burundi were killed and two others wounded by what the U.N. termed "unidentified armed combatants" in the Central African Republic on Friday as the country heads toward national elections Sunday.
- 19 Detained As Long-Running Khabarovsk Protests Continue RFE/RL 26 Dec 2020 -- Police in the Russian Far Eastern city of Khabarovsk have detained at least 19 people who were participating in a demonstration in support of the region's jailed former governor, activists say.
- Russian Justice Ministry Expands 'Foreign Agents' List To Include Navalny Foundation RFE/RL 26 Dec 2020 -- The Russian Justice Ministry has expanded the list of so-called "foreign agents" to include a foundation of Kremlin critic Aleksei Navalny and other human rights and health-care organizations, the head of the international human rights group Agora said on December 25.
- Cold War-Era Double Agent George Blake Dies In Russia, Age 98 RFE/RL 26 Dec 2020 -- Prominent Cold War-era double agent George Blake has died in Moscow at the age of 98, Russian authorities have reported.
- Legendary Soviet Double Agent George Blake Dies Aged 98, Russian Intelligence Service Confirms Sputnik 26 Dec 2020 -- Legendary British spy and Soviet double agent working in MI-6, George Blake, has died aged 98, Russia's Foreign Intelligence Service Spokesman Sergey Ivanov told Sputnik.
- China's two sessions to be held in March PLA Daily 26 Dec 2020 -- China's top legislature will hold its fourth annual session in Beijing on March 5, according to a decision announced by the National People's Congress Standing Committee on Saturday.
- China to launch core module of space station in first half of 2021 People's Daily 26 Dec 2020 -- China plans to launch the core module of its manned space station in the first half of 2021, a senior official said Friday.
- Chinese anti-submarine plane intrudes into Taiwan's ADIZ CNA 26 Dec 2020 -- A Chinese military Y-8 anti-submarine aircraft entered Taiwan's southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Saturday, but left the area after Taiwanese fighter jets scrambled in response to the intrusion, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said that day.
- Rouhani: Government spares no single second to thwart sanctions IRNA 26 Dec 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Saturday that the Government spares no single second to thwart the sanctions.
- Official says Iran focuses on petrochemical projects to replace crude oil & gas exports IRNA 26 Dec 2020 -- Caretaker of planning and development department of National Petrochemical Company of Iran Hassan Abbaszadeh said on Saturday that the company is focusing on leading petrochemical projects to replace the crude oil and gas exports.
- Rouhani: Iran government trying to render US sanctions ineffective Press TV 26 Dec 2020 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani has censured the US for blocking the import of almost everything to the country, including medicine and COVID-19 vaccine, saying, however, that his government is doing its best to make the illegal US sanctions ineffective.
- Netanyahu has 'friendly' call with Morocco's king, invites him to visit Israel after normalization deal Press TV 26 Dec 2020 -- Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu has invited Morocco's King Mohammed VI to Tel Aviv in the wake of the US-sponsored normalization deal between the regime and the North African country.
- Turkey's Erdogan voices readiness to talk, cooperate with every country Press TV 26 Dec 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Ankara is ready to talk and cooperate with every country, a day after he said he "would have liked" better ties with Israel.
- UK-EU divorce overshadowed by coronavirus People's Daily 26 Dec 2020 -- Britain and the European Union (EU) struck a post-Brexit trade deal Thursday, which will have many implications for everyday life and Britain's future relationship with other countries.
- Niger: UN chief urges security forces to protect civilians during polls UN News 26 Dec 2020 -- The United Nations Secretary-General has called on the security forces in Niger to "make every effort" to protect civilians as they take part in Sunday's elections.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|