05 November 2020 Military News
- Iraq's Kata'ib Hezbollah warns of 'tougher' war if US troops refuse to leave Press TV 05 Nov 2020 -- Iraq's anti-terror Kata'ib Hezbollah group, a faction of the country's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) or Hashd al-Sha'abi, has warned that a "tougher and stronger" confrontation awaits US forces should they defy a timetable set for their withdrawal from the Arab country.
- Taliban Aims Multipronged Offensive At Second Afghan City RFE/RL Gandhara 05 Nov 2020 -- An offensive by Afghanistan's Taliban militants appears to be aimed at reclaiming Afghanistan's second city, which once served as the capital for the hard-line movement nearly a quarter-century ago.
- Afghanistan violence jumps 50 percent despite peace talks: Watchdog Press TV 05 Nov 2020 -- Violent attacks across Afghanistan have increased by 50 percent in recent months even as Kabul is negotiating with the Taliban, a US watchdog says.
- Violence Spikes in Afghanistan Despite Peace Efforts VOA 05 Nov 2020 -- If U.S.-Taliban peace negotiators expected the Taliban to reduce violence in Afghanistan, the latest report from a key government watchdog is a rude awakening.
Defense Policy / Programs
- 10 more U.S. soldiers, civilians in S.Korea test positive for COVID-19 People's Daily 05 Nov 2020 -- Five more U.S. soldiers and five other individuals in South Korea tested positive for COVID-19, the U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) said Thursday.
- Coalition Task Force Sentinel Conducts Joint Exercise in the Arabian Gulf CENTCOM 05 Nov 2020 -- Coalition Task Force (CTF) Sentinel executed combined exercise Sentinel Shield in the Arabian Gulf, which showcased the interoperability between coalition warships supporting Sentry and Sentinel patrols in the coalition's area of operations Oct. 27.
- 3rd MAW strengthens as WTI 1-21 concludes USMC News 05 Nov 2020 -- Upon the completion of Weapons and Tactics Instructor course 1-21, over 100 newly qualified instructors return to their respective squadrons throughout the Marine Corps.
- Foreign media stir trouble by hyping China's draft coast guard law Global Times 05 Nov 2020 -- Chinese experts slammed foreign media hype of China's draft coast guard law released on Wednesday, noting that any country has the right to enforce laws in the airspace and waters under its administration.
- PLA long-distance maneuver exercise in plateau includes Type 15 tanks Global Times 05 Nov 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Tibet Military Command recently conducted a long-distance maneuver exercise featuring heavy equipment, including dozens of Type 15 light tanks and different types of infantry fighting vehicles and trucks, in a move experts said demonstrated the PLA's rapid, comprehensive deployment capabilities in high-altitude border regions.
- Drone sale will help U.S.-Taiwan wartime information-sharing: expert CNA 05 Nov 2020 -- A proposed maritime drone sale approved by the U.S. Tuesday will pave the way for Taiwan and the U.S. to engage in intelligence-sharing during wartime, a local military expert said Thursday.
- Chinese defense ministry opposes planned U.S. drone sale to Taiwan People's Daily 05 Nov 2020 -- A Chinese military spokesperson Wednesday firmly opposed and strongly condemned the plan approved by the U.S. State Department to sell aerial drones to Taiwan.
- IRGC Unveils New Ballistic Missile System Radio Farda 05 Nov 2020 -- While people in most countries of the world, including Iran, had focused their attention on the outcome of the U.S. elections, the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps presented a "new missile system."
- Canada - Standard Missile 2 (SM-2) Block IIIC Missiles DSCA 05 Nov 2020 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Canada of Standard Missile 2 (SM-2) Block IIIC missiles and related equipment for an estimated cost of $500 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh: Determined to protect India's sovereignty and territorial integrity ; outlines broad principles for national security at a Webinar of National Defence College's Diamond Jubilee Celebrations India PIB 05 Nov 2020 -- Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh inaugurated Diamond Jubilee celebrations of the National Defence College (NDC) here today. Shri Singh delivered a key note address while declaring open of a two-day Webinar ( 05-06 Nov 2020) with the theme 'India's National Security- a Decade Ahead'.
- 5 November 2020 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 05 Nov 2020
- Yemeni security forces kill high-profile Daesh terrorist in southern Ibb province Press TV 05 Nov 2020 -- Yemeni security forces have carried out a military operation targeting the hideouts of Daesh Takfiri terrorists in the country's southwestern province of Ibb, killing a senior militant in the process.
- The Joint Forces Command of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen: Interception, Destruction of Bomb-Laden UAV Launched by Terrorist, Iran-Backed Houthi Militia Toward the Kingdom SPA 05 Nov 2020 -- Statement by the Official Spokesman of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen COL Turki Al-Malki is issued as follows:
- Billions locked in troubled Lebanese banks behind economic crisis: Syria's Assad Press TV 05 Nov 2020 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has blamed the financial downfall in neighboring Lebanon and not the sweeping US sanctions as the root cause of the ongoing economic crisis in the war-torn country.
- Syria: No justification for chemical weapon use 'under any circumstances' – UN disarmament chief UN News 05 Nov 2020 -- The top UN disarmament official on Thursday briefed the Security Council on progress made by Syria towards eliminating its chemicals weapons programme, complicated by the coronavirus pandemic.
- Azerbaijani Forces Close In On Nagorno-Karabakh's 'Unassailable' Mountain Fortress City RFE/RL 05 Nov 2020 -- A century-old Armenian expression says, "Whoever controls the city of Shushi controls the whole of Nagorno-Karabakh."
- Fighting Over Nagorno-Karabakh Continues As Negotiations Falter RFE/RL 05 Nov 2020 -- Azerbaijan and Armenia have both reported fresh fighting in and around the breakaway Nagorno-Karabakh region, with each side laying blame on the other as hopes for a resumption of cease-fire negotiations between the two sides dwindled.
- IRGC's chief commander: Any threat to our borders will be met with firm, timely response Press TV 05 Nov 2020 -- The chief commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says any possible threat posed to the country's border areas as a result of the ongoing conflict between the Republic of Azerbaijan and neighboring Armenia will be met with a "firm and timely" response.
- MPs Approve State of Emergency After Ethiopia Launches Military Operation in Tigray VOA 05 Nov 2020 -- Ethiopia's parliament on Thursday validated a six-month state of emergency in the rebellious northern Tigray region, where the federal government has launched a military campaign despite international pleas for negotiation to avoid a civil war.
- Ethiopia PM claims military success against rebels in north Press TV 05 Nov 2020 -- Ethiopia's Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed says the military has suppressed rebels in the northernmost region of Tigray.
- Malawi to be 1st African country to open embassy in Israeli-occupied Jerusalem al-Quds Press TV 04 Nov 2020 -- The Republic of Malawi is set to become the first African country to follow the United States and open an embassy in Israeli-occupied Jerusalem al-Quds.
- Malawi Plans Embassy in Jerusalem VOA 05 Nov 2020 -- Malawi will establish an embassy in Jerusalem, its foreign minister announced during a visit to Israel.
- Dozens displaced in largest demolition in years in the West Bank, reports UN relief office UN News 05 Nov 2020 -- Seventy-three people, including 41 children have been displaced after Israeli authorities demolished their homes and other structures, and destroyed belongings in the Palestinian community of Humsa Al Bqai'a in the West Bank, the UN humanitarian wing has reported.
- Kosovar President Resigns After Confirming War Crimes Charges RFE/RL 05 Nov 2020 -- leader during the country's war for independence from Serbia in the 1990s, has resigned after confirming that he has been indicted for war crimes and crimes against humanity.
- Former Kosovar Parliament Speaker To Face War Crimes Charges In The Hague RFE/RL 05 Nov 2020 -- A former guerrilla leader and ex-speaker of Kosovo's parliament has been transferred to The Hague to face charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity after his arrest during a special operation in Pristina.
- Two South Sudan Aid Groups Suspend Operations After Workers Killed VOA 05 Nov 2020 -- Two aid groups have suspended operations in parts of eastern South Sudan after gunmen killed two of their workers late last week.
- Cameroon Teachers, Students Abandon Schools After Attacks VOA 05 Nov 2020 -- Authorities in Cameroon say schools in rebel areas that reopened for the first time in four years are again being abandoned due to lack of security. Separatist forces are blamed for recent attacks that killed at least six teachers and seven schoolchildren.
- Remarks by President Trump on the Election The White House 05 Nov 2020
- In Europe, Calls Grow Louder for United Front Against 'Political Islam' VOA 05 Nov 2020 -- Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz is urging fellow European leaders to form a common front against what some leaders call "political Islam."
- Russia says US election system has 'obvious shortcomings' Press TV 05 Nov 2020 -- Russia says the electoral system of the United States suffers from "obvious shortcomings" due to the outdated nature of the relevant legislation and a lack of regulation.
- Briefing by Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova, Moscow, November 5, 2020 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 05 Nov 2020
- They Count The Votes?! Watching U.S. Nail-Biter, Many Russians Bemoan The State Of Their 'Democracy' RFE/RL 05 Nov 2020 -- Many of Russia's politicians and state-media commentators have done little to hide their schadenfreude over the bitterly contested U.S. presidential election.
- Bailiffs Search Headquarters Of Navalny's Anti-Corruption Foundation In Moscow RFE/RL 05 Nov 2020 -- Officers of Russia's Federal Bailiffs Service (FSSP) have searched the premises of outspoken Kremlin critic Aleksei Navalny's Anti-Corruption Foundation (FBK) in Moscow.
- Bill On Ex-Presidents' Immunity Proposed By Two Russian Lawmakers RFE/RL 05 Nov 2020 -- Two Russian lawmakers have proposed a draft law on the extension of immunity for former presidents and their family members.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on November 5, 2020 PRC MofA 05 Nov 2020
- China hopes new US govt to get ties back on track: FM Global Times 05 Nov 2020 -- Right ahead of the unveiling of the US presidential election results, remarks by Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Le Yucheng that he hoped the new US administration will uphold the spirit of non-confrontation and win-win cooperation to jointly push the China-US relations onto the right track are viewed by analysts as a positive megaphone, sending messages to the new US administration that China is willing to take past irrational and hostile moves by the US as intended to serve the interests of the election, and would love to thaw the relationship with the new US administration.
- China hopes new US govt will push relations onto right track: Chinese Vice FM Global Times 05 Nov 2020 -- Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Le Yucheng said on Thursday that he hoped the new US administration will uphold the spirit of non-conflict, non-confrontation, and win-win cooperation to jointly push the development of China-US relations onto the right track.
- Dissidents Hope Winner of US Race Will Keep Pressure on China Radio Free Asia 05 Nov 2020 -- Whoever wins the U.S. presidential elections, dissidents in China are hoping the occupant of the White House will maintain pressure on Beijing to bring about democratic and economic reforms in the world's most populous nation.
- BRI projects 'positive force' against COVID-19: FM Global Times 05 Nov 2020 -- China's Foreign Ministry said projects under the China-proposed Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) have made positive contributions to countries where these projects are located amid the global fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
- HK sets up anonymous national security hotline to fight crimes Global Times 05 Nov 2020 -- The Hong Kong Police Force (HKPF) has set up a hotline for the public to provide information on national security issues through social media platforms, promising anonymity. Experts said this was a general approach in combating crimes and they called for its normalization.
- Hong Kong police sets up national security hotlines Global Times 05 Nov 2020 -- The Hong Kong Police Force (HKPF) have set up hotlines for the public to provide information on national security issues through social media platforms, and promised not to request or disclose any information to third parties through the hotline.
- HK Chief Executive meets with ministers in Beijing, discusses measures to support the city Global Times 05 Nov 2020 -- Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam met with three ministers in Beijing on Wednesday during her visit to the capital, discussing the central government's supportive measures to Hong Kong, including economy, COVID-19 vaccine and air service.
- Hong Kong police launches national security hotline People's Daily 05 Nov 2020 -- Hong Kong police launched a hotline Thursday inviting residents to report breaches of the national security law in Hong Kong via various channels such as WeChat and email.
- Hong Kong Police Call For Anonymous 'National Security' Tip-Offs Radio Free Asia 05 Nov 2020 -- Hong Kong's police force on Thursday launched an anonymous tip-off line to encourage people to report each other for alleged violations of a draconian national security law imposed on the city by the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) from July 1.
- US Drops ETIM From Terror List, Weakening China's Pretext For Xinjiang Crackdown Radio Free Asia 05 Nov 2020 -- The U.S. government has removed the East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM) from its list of terrorist organizations after nearly two decades, weakening China's anti-terror pretext for a draconian crackdown on Uyghurs in its Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR).
- Pro-Taiwan cross-party consensus in U.S., no matter who wins: Tsai CNA 05 Nov 2020 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) assured the Taiwanese public on Thursday that U.S.-Taiwan relations will continue to flourish no matter who wins the U.S. presidential election, as supporting Taiwan is a cross-party consensus there.
- President Rouhani: Next US administration should submit to Iranian nation's will Press TV 05 Nov 2020 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says regardless of who becomes the president of the United States, the next US administration will have to submit to the will of the Iranian nation.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Mocks U.S. Election 'Spectacle' RFE/RL 05 Nov 2020 -- Iran's supreme leader has mocked the U.S. presidential election, calling the tight race a "spectacle" that has exposed the weakness of democracy.
- OSCE Moscow Mechanism Report Details Widespread Rights Violations in Belarus US Dept. of State 05 Nov 2020 -- The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE)'s Moscow Mechanism report on Belarus released on November 5 describes sustained human rights violations and abuses committed on a massive scale and with impunity by the Belarusian authorities during the fraudulent August 9 election and its aftermath.
- Britain Calls For New Vote In Belarus After 'Damning' Report On Rights Abuses RFE/RL 05 Nov 2020 -- British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab is calling for new elections in Belarus after the publication of an independent report into the "falsified" presidential election in August and a brutal crackdown on postelection protests.
- UK calls for fresh presidential elections in Belarus UK FCDO 05 Nov 2020 -- The Foreign Secretary welcomed the publication of an independent report into electoral fraud and human rights violations committed by the Belarusian authorities.
- Myanmar Military Chief Urges Troops to Vote in Support of Three 'National Causes' Radio Free Asia 05 Nov 2020 -- Myanmar's armed forces and their families can "cast their votes freely" in national elections this weekend, but should back candidates that support the military's "Three Main National Causes," the country's powerful defense chief said Thursday as concerns arose about secrecy of army voting lists.
- Saudi Arabia To Ease Restrictions On Foreign Workers RFE/RL Gandhara 05 Nov 2020 -- Saudi Arabia has announced that it intends to relax key restrictions on millions of foreign workers, under reforms to its labor legislation that is blamed for widespread abuses and exploitation.
- France Condemns Turkey's 'Declarations Of Violence' RFE/RL 05 Nov 2020 -- France has condemned what it called "declarations of violence" by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and raised the possibility of new sanctions against Ankara.
- UN Expert Slams Limits On Minorities' Rights To Worship, Citing Russia, Iran, Among Others RFE/RL 05 Nov 2020 -- A top UN expert has urged countries to repeal laws infringing on minorities' rights to worship and hold beliefs, singling out Iran, Tajikistan, Afghanistan, Russia, and Moldova, among countries of concern.
- UK statement on the 31 October 2020 presidential elections in Côte d'Ivoire UK FCDO 05 Nov 2020 -- Minister for Africa James Duddridge gave a statement on Côte d'Ivoire's presidential election on 31 October 2020.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|