16 August 2020 Military News
- US sends truckloads of military, logistic reinforcements to Syria's oil-rich Hasaka: SANA Press TV 16 Aug 2020 -- The United States has dispatched a convoy of trucks carrying arms and logistics supplies to Syria's oil-rich Kurdish-populated province of Hasakah, a local media report says.
- US Asks Afghans to Swiftly Begin Peace Talks to Deter Spoilers VOA 16 Aug 2020 -- The United States has called on Afghanistan's warring sides to start negotiations without further delay to deter "those who seek to disrupt the peace process."
Defense Policy / Programs
- Poland, U.S. sign military agreement People's Daily 16 Aug 2020 -- Polish Defense Minister Mariusz Blaszczak and visiting U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo signed an agreement on Saturday for the expansion of the U.S. military presence and the creation of a regional headquarter in Poland.
- US mulls midrange missile deployment in Asia to counter China Press TV 16 Aug 2020 -- The United States is reportedly seeking to mobilize support from its Asian allies to deploy medium-range missiles in their countries to counter what it calls the "immediate threat" of China's nuclear arsenal.
- US to Lobby Allies to Deploy Midrange Missiles in Asia Against China, Trump's Envoy Says Sputnik 16 Aug 2020 -- No longer bound by the INF Treaty with Russia, which it unilaterally quit last year, Washington is seeking to up its deterrence game against Beijing, with little success so far.
- Seoul, Washington briefly postpone joint drills after S Korean officer tests positive for COVID-19 Press TV 16 Aug 2020 -- South Korea and the United States have briefly postponed their annual joint military drills after a South Korean officer tested positive for the new coronavirus.
- Russia Scrambles Su-27 Jet Over Black Sea to Identify Italian Plane, Defence Ministry Says Sputnik 16 Aug 2020 -- Russia's Su-27SM fighter scrambled over the Black Sea to identify an Italian Navy aircraft approaching the country's border, the Russian Defence Ministry's National Defence Control Center said on Sunday.
- Indigenous airborne munitions dispenser can paralyze airfield in one shot Global Times 16 Aug 2020 -- China has revealed a type of domestically developed airborne munitions dispenser, a hybrid weapon that lies between an air-to-ground missile and a guided bomb droppable by an aircraft from a safe distance, that can release hundreds of submunitions that cover a large area. This kind of weapon can effectively paralyze an airfield in one shot, leaving enemy warplanes grounded or destroyed, experts said on Sunday.
- NCC all set for a major expansion to cover 173 border and coastal districts India PIB 16 Aug 2020 -- Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh has approved a proposal of the National Cadet Corps for a major expansion scheme to meet the aspirations of youth in all the border and coastal districts.
- Iran's Defense Ministry ready to unveil new Cruise missile: Gen. Hatami ISNA 16 Aug 2020 -- Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier-General Amir Hatami stressed that the defense industry is the strategic depth of defense and security of the country and science and technology field is the support for the defense industry of the country.
- Defense Minister: Iran thwarts any threats by "active defense" strategy IRNA 16 Aug 2020 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami announced here on Sunday that Iran thwarts any threats by "active diplomacy just like the campaign against terrorism.
- Iranian nation, Armed Forces to make radical change in approach to UAE after Israel deal: Top general Press TV 16 Aug 2020 -- Iran's highest ranking military commander says the Iranian nation and Armed Forces will make a radical change in their approach to the United Arab Emirates after Abu Dhabi's recent step to normalize relations with Israel.
- Iran Defense Minister Says UAE Responsible For Any Insecurity Inflicted By Israel In Region Radio Farda 16 Aug 2020 -- The Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier-General Amir Hatami speaking on the occasion of Defense Industries day on Sunday said the United Arab Emirates (UAE) will be responsible for any insecurity caused in if Israel finds its way to the Persian Gulf region with their help.
- Sensitive Data Breach Possible as Germany's Bundeswehr Transport Service Hacked Sputnik 16 Aug 2020 -- The attack on the German company was reported to have occurred last week, with no clear details regarding the extent of the breach and its impact.
- No injuries reported in Taoyuan military warehouse blaze CNA 16 Aug 2020 -- A fire broke out at a military warehouse in northern Taoyuan City Sunday, but no fatalities or injuries were reported, the military said that day.
- The Joint Forces Command of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen: Interception, Destruction of Ballistic Missiles Targeting the Kingdom SPA 16 Aug 2020 -- Statement by the Official Spokesman of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen COL Turki Al-Malki
- 8 Children in Syria's Al-Hol Camp Die From Preventable Illnesses VOA 16 Aug 2020 -- U.N. officials are expressing dismay and alarm at the recent deaths of eight children under the age of five in al-Hol Camp, northeastern Syria, where tens of thousands of displaced from the conflict with the Islamic State Group are housed.
- Rocket lands near US embassy in Baghdad's Green Zone: Reports Press TV 16 Aug 2020 -- At least four Katyusha rockets have been fired at the US embassy in Baghdad's heavily fortified Green Zone, one of which has landed in an area where American troops are stationed at the diplomatic mission, according to media reports.
- One Rocket Hits Baghdad's Green Zone Sputnik 16 Aug 2020 -- Baghdad's Green Zone is home to government headquarters and embassies, including that of the United States.
- Netanyahu Says UAE-Israel Peace Deal Shows Arab Countries Won't be 'Held Hostage by Palestinians' Sputnik 16 Aug 2020 -- The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Israel on Thursday agreed to sign a treaty to begin the process of normalising relations, in a deal said to have been brokered by US President Donald Trump. The Israeli Prime Minister claims that the new relationship between Abu Dhabi and Tel Aviv will lead to an agreement with the Palestinians.
- UAE opens phone services with Israel, unblocks Israeli websites following normalization accord Press TV 16 Aug 2020 -- The United Arab Emirates has removed a block on telephone services with Israel and unblocked Israeli websites as part of their new agreement to normalize bilateral relations
- PLO chief says UAE-Israel agreement will kill 'two-state solution' Press TV 16 Aug 2020 -- Secretary General of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) Saeb Erekat says the normalization deal between Israel and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) will kill the so-called two-state solution, strengthen "extremists" and undermine the "possibility of peace."
- Israeli Tanks Attack Hamas Positions in Gaza Strip, IDF Says Sputnik 16 Aug 2020 -- On Sunday, the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) said in a statement that soldiers had repelled an attempted "terror attack" against Rachel's Tomb in the city of Bethlehem, detecting "terrorists who tried to hurl a Molotov cocktail toward the Tomb area".
- Israel totally closes Gaza fishing zone, steps up aerial, land attacks Press TV 16 Aug 2020 -- Israel has tightened its naval blockade of the Gaza Strip, entirely closing its offshore fishing zone following a night of Israeli land and aerial attacks on the besieged Palestinian enclave.
- Turkey won't back down against sanctions, threats amid Mediterranean standoff: Erdogan Press TV 16 Aug 2020 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Ankara will never cave in to international threats and sanctions over its energy exploration in the waters of the eastern Mediterranean, which have been the subject of a territorial row between Turkey and Greece.
- Over 10 Dead in Mogadishu Hotel Gun and Bomb Attack, Reports Say Sputnik 16 Aug 2020 -- According to some media reports, a car loaded with explosives exploded outside a hotel in Lido Beach.
- Somali Troops End Militants' Siege of Mogadishu Hotel VOA 16 Aug 2020 -- Somali security forces battled militants for more than four hours Sunday before ending an attack and siege of a beachfront hotel.
- India's Congress Party Slams Narendra Modi Over Ladakh: 'Cowardice Allowed China to Take our Land' Sputnik 16 Aug 2020 -- India's main opposition Congress party has been critical of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's policies, including the handling of recent border skirmishes with China, in which Indian 20 soldiers were killed. Congress has also been critical of the government's claim that China did not occupy or intrude into Indian territory.
- Cameroon Civilians Protest Growing Separatist Barbarism, Increasing Violence VOA 16 Aug 2020 -- Hundreds of Cameroonians have braved a heavy military presence and separatists' threats to protest increasing violence and barbarism in the central African state's restive English-speaking regions. The protest in the southwestern town of Muyuka was provoked by the killing of civilians and other brutality by the military, which is searching for separatists said to be responsible for a recent wave of attacks and murder of women and aid workers.
- UN Warns of Waste Released by Beirut Blast VOA 16 Aug 2020 -- The U.N. Development Program warns a lot of toxic waste, potentially dangerous to health and the environment, was discharged when 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate exploded at the port of Lebanon's capital Beirut nearly two weeks ago.
- US demands 'credible' probe into Beirut blast, conditions help on 'reforms' Press TV 16 Aug 2020 -- The US government has called for a "credible" probe into the massive port explosion in the Lebanese capital of Beirut, further conditioning any financial support on its version of reforms in the Arab country neighboring the US-sponsored Israeli regime.
- Over 20,000 Gather in Bangkok for Anti-Government Rally – Free Youth Movement Sputnik 16 Aug 2020 -- More than 20,000 of mostly young people protested in Bangkok on Sunday against the government of Thailand's former junta leader, the largest such demonstration in years.
- Thai Anti-Government Protests Draw Largest Crowd Since Coup VOA 16 Aug 2020 -- Thousands of protesters called for radical changes to the Thai government Sunday - the latest in near daily protests lead by students against the government.
- UK's barring HK police training may 'tighten mainland-city bond' Global Times 16 Aug 2020 -- The Hong Kong Police Force (HKPF) said on Sunday that it has voluntarily decided to postpone sending officers overseas and the mainland to attend training courses given the current COVID-19 epidemic situation after reports claimed that the UK government has barred UK military personnel from training the Hong Kong police force and two other organizations amid strained ties.
- Postponing HKSAR LegCo election ensures efforts of COVID-19 response People's Daily 16 Aug 2020 -- Chinese lawmakers on Tuesday, August 11, voted to adopt a decision for the sixth Legislative Council (LegCo) of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) to continue performing duties for no less than a year until the term of the seventh LegCo starts.
- Mainland, not US, to decide time of national reunification Global Times 16 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese mainland will not let the US decide when and how to reunify the island of Taiwan, and as the People's Liberation Army (PLA) has an overwhelming advantage in the region, reunifying Taiwan by force is not urgent as long as the separatist authority on the island and Washington do not cross the red line, said mainland experts on Sunday in response to a sensational projection by a US Navy think tank that the mainland could launch an attack on Taiwan in January, 2021.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Sends Medical Supplies to Flood-hit Area KCNA 16 Aug 2020 -- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un sent medical supplies to the people in Taechong-ri, Unpha County, North Hwanghae Province.
- Rodong Sinmun on Importance of Recovery from Flood Damage KCNA 16 Aug 2020 -- Rodong Sinmun Sunday editorially says that the most important and urgent task set forth at the 16th meeting of the Political Bureau of the 7th Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) is to concentrate all efforts on repairing the flood damage and providing the people with a stable life.
- Proposed Transparency Plan In Leader's Office Not Welcomed, Anti-Corruption Activist Says Radio Farda 16 Aug 2020 -- Anti-corruption activist and former conservative lawmaker Ahmad Tavakoli says two years ago after consultation with the Supreme Leader he proposed a plan for transparency in Khamenei's office but his plan was not welcomed.
- Vaezi warns Trump of consecutive failures IRNA 16 Aug 2020 -- Head of the Presidential Office Mahmoud Vaezi in a message said equations in politics are different from those of business, saying US President Donald Trump must wait for repeated failures.
- Iran says US knows it has not right to invoke snapback clause of JCPOA IRNA 16 Aug 2020 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Sunday that the United States is well aware that they cannot invoke the snapback clause of the Joint Comprehensive Plane of Action against Iran.
- Trump should await consecutive losses: Vaezi ISNA 16 Aug 2020 -- Chief of staff of the Iranian president, Mahmoud Vaezi stressed that US President Donald Trump should await consecutive losses if he does not introduce change in his past policies.
- US in no position to invoke JCPOA snapback mechanism to reinstate UN Iran sanctions: EU Press TV 16 Aug 2020 -- The European Union says the United States is not a party to the 2015 nuclear deal anymore and therefore cannot force the reinstatement of UN sanctions on Iran via the so-called "snapback" mechanism stipulated in the agreement.
- Zarif: US cannot use snapback to reinstate sanctions on Iran Press TV 16 Aug 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has denounced US attempts to invoke a controversial mechanism to unilaterally reinstate sanctions on Tehran - a move with huge repercussions for the Iran nuclear deal.
- EU Says US Is Not Entitled To Use JCPOA 'Snapback' Option Radio Farda 16 Aug 2020 -- The European Union announced Sunday that the United States is not entitled to force the reinstatement of international sanctions on Iran via the so-called "snapback" mechanism stipulated in the 2015 nuclear deal.
- China welcomes Putin's proposal of holding online summit over Iranian nuclear issue People's Daily 16 Aug 2020 -- Trump says 'probably not' to join Putin-proposed summit on Iran
- Trump says "probably not" to join Putin-proposed summit on Iran People's Daily 16 Aug 2020 -- Putin proposed holding an urgent online meeting of the heads of the five states that are permanent members of the UN Security Council with the participation of the leaders of Germany and Iran to discuss Iran and the Persian Gulf situation.
- Zarif reacts to US' claim about seizure of Iranian tankers ISNA 16 Aug 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif in a tweet referred to US recent allegation about seizure of four Iranian tankers, saying hollow and cheap propaganda doesn't deflect from miserable failure of the US diplomatic malpractice at UN.
- Majles Committees, Judiciary, Legislative Chiefs Torpedo Rouhani's 'Economic Breakthrough' Radio Farda 16 Aug 2020 -- The Iranian parliament has effectively torpedoed President Hassan Rouhani's plan to make up for the country's nearly 50 percent budget deficit.
- Foreign Minister Says Ukraine Will Not Make Compromise With Iran If Humiliating To Victims Radio Farda 16 Aug 2020 -- Following the recent bilateral talks with Iran concerning compensation for the victims of Flight PS752 downed in February by Iran's Revolutionary Guard, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba says that Ukraine will not make any compromise that will humiliate the victims of the tragedy or fail to satisfy their relatives' demands.
- Russia says ready for military help as violent anti-Lukashenko protests rage in Belarus Press TV 16 Aug 2020 -- Russia says it has told Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko it is ready to offer military assistance as violent protests continue against Lukashenko and his contested re-election in the ex-Soviet republic.
- Putin Tells Lukashenka Russia Ready 'To Provide Help' Militarily If Needed RFE/RL 16 Aug 2020 -- The Kremlin says Russian President Vladimir Putin has told Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka that Russia is ready to assist Belarus in accordance with a collective military pact, if necessary.
- Lukashenka Rules Out Repeat Vote As Massive Crowd Turns Out For Opposition RFE/RL 16 Aug 2020 -- Huge crowds gathered in the Belarusian capital in the biggest outpouring yet of opposition to the disputed reelection of President Alyaksandr Lukashenka as pressure mounts for him to step down after 26 years in power.
- Biggest Crowd Yet Protests in Belarus VOA 16 Aug 2020 -- The largest crowd so far turned out Sunday in Belarus for the ninth straight day of protests against what they say was a stolen presidential election by longtime authoritarian leader Alexander Lukashenko.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|