15 August 2020 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Female Afghan Peace Negotiator Survives Assassination Bid VOA 15 Aug 2020 -- Officials in Afghanistan said Saturday a prominent female peace negotiator had survived an assassination attempt ahead of U.S.-brokered negotiations with the Islamist Taliban.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US, Poland Sign Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement VOA 15 Aug 2020 -- The United States and Poland signed a recently negotiated Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA) Saturday in Warsaw.
- Statement by the President Regarding the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement with the Republic of Poland The White House 15 Aug 2020
- F-16 fighter jet deal deemed another US provocation amid rising Taiwan Straits tensions Global Times 15 Aug 2020 -- The island of Taiwan has formally signed an agreement with US arms firm Lockheed Martin to buy 66 F-16V fighter jets, reports said on Saturday, further raising tensions in the Taiwan Straits, and coming just two days after the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) announced large-scale drills in response to US provocations and Taiwan secessionist activities.
- Taiwan sings deal to purchase US F-16 fighter jets amid tensions with China Press TV 15 Aug 2020 -- Taiwan has signed a 62-billion-dollar deal to purchase F-16 fighter jets from the United States - the biggest arms pact between Washington and Taipei which is expected to increase tensions with China.
- U.S. condemns Chinese military exercises in Taiwan Strait CNA 15 Aug 2020 -- The United States State Department on Friday said it "strongly objects" to China's attempts to "coerce" Taiwan, one day after the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) announced that it had recently conducted military exercises in the Taiwan Strait.
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo And Polish Foreign Minister Jacek Czaputowicz At a Press Availability US Dept. of State 15 Aug 2020
- The Joint Forces Command of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen: Interception, Destruction of Multiple Bomb-Laden (UAVs) in Yemen SPA 15 Aug 2020 -- Statement by the Official Spokesman of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen COL Turki Al-Malki
- UN Chief: 'Catastrophic' Consequences if Experts Cannot Access Aging Oil Tanker off Yemen VOA 15 Aug 2020 -- U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres urged Yemeni rebels on Friday to allow international experts to access an old, neglected oil tanker carrying more than a million barrels of crude oil, which is at risk of leaking or completely spilling into the Red Sea.
- How the Abraham Accord Might Impact the Middle East VOA 15 Aug 2020 -- From behind the Resolute Desk in the Oval Office Thursday morning, U.S. President Donald Trump announced a "historical peace agreement" between the United Arab Emirates and Israel to commence "full normalization of relations." Part of the deal includes Israel's commitment to suspend annexation of Palestinian lands in the occupied West Bank.
- Israel, UAE agree to normalization of relations Global Times 15 Aug 2020 -- Israel and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) agreed to the full normalization of relations, according to a joint statement of the United States, Israel, and the UAE on Thursday.
- IRGC warns US against future of UAE-Israel deal ISNA 15 Aug 2020 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) in a statement on Saturday strongly condemned the agreement between the Zionist regime and the United Arab Emirates on normalizing of relations, describing the move as a strategic mistake, historical foolishness and a poisonous sword on the body of the Islamic Ummah.
- UAE-Israel normalization historic idiocy, doomed to fail: IRGC Press TV 15 Aug 2020 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has lambasted the recent deal between the UAE and Israel to fully normalize bilateral relations, saying the agreement is an instance of "historic idiocy" and doomed to fail.
- Israel launches air raids against Hamas positions in Gaza Press TV 15 Aug 2020 -- The Israeli military has launched fresh airstrikes against the positions of the Palestinian resistance group Hamas in the besieged Gaza Strip.
- Israeli military carries out fresh aerial, ground attacks against Gaza Strip Press TV 15 Aug 2020 -- The Israeli military has launched fresh aerial and ground attacks against targets across the besieged Gaza Strip, in the latest of a series of attacks carried out overnight this week.
- Iran-Backed Afghan Militants Vow To Fight For Annihilation Of Israel Radio Farda 15 Aug 2020 -- An Iran-backed Afghan militant group called the Fatemiyoun Brigade vowed on August 14 to carry out its fight until the "annihilation of Israel" and creating the "new Islamic civilization.
- 6 Years After Pakistani Military Operation, Some in North Waziristan Still Await Damage Surveys VOA 15 Aug 2020 -- It has been six years since the Pakistani military launched Operation Zarb-e-Azb in North Waziristan to eliminate Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), but the mountainous region of northwest Pakistan is still in ruins, according to local residents.
- Somali, AU Forces Capture Shabab Stronghold VOA 15 Aug 2020 -- Somali government troops, backed by African Union (AU) forces, have taken control from the al-Shabab militant group of a strategic town in the Lower Shabelle region, freeing dozens of children in the process, residents and official said.
- Wang Yi visits Tibet, says diplomatic front to work with region in safeguarding national security Global Times 15 Aug 2020 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said the diplomatic front will work with people in Tibet to safeguard national security and support Tibet's opening-up as he visited the region on Friday, the Tibet Daily reported on Saturday.
- How the QAnon Conspiracy Theory Went Global VOA 15 Aug 2020 -- Until recently, the fringe conspiracy theory known as QAnon was largely an American phenomenon – a belief that U.S. President Donald Trump is secretly battling a "deep state" cabal of pedophiles that control the world.
- Huge Protests Continue in Russia's Khabarovsk Over Arrest of Ex-Governor VOA 15 Aug 2020 -- Huge crowds took to the streets of the Russian city of Khabarovsk Saturday in continued protests following the arrest of former governor Sergey Furgal.
- Hong Kongers granted residency in Taiwan jump 116% CNA 15 Aug 2020 -- The number of Hong Kong residents awarded residency in Taiwan during the first six months of this year totaled 3,161, up 116 percent from the same period of 2019, according to the latest immigration statistics.
- China slams U.S. designation of Confucius Institute U.S. Center People's Daily 15 Aug 2020 -- China said that the U.S. move is borne out of "ideological prejudice and self-interest" and "have brutally interfered with and obstructed normal bilateral cooperation projects".
- U.S. Welcomes Lithuanias Ban of Hizballah as a Terrorist Organization US Dept. of State 15 Aug 2020 -- Lithuania is demonstrating true leadership in Europe, and within the European Union, by labeling Hizballah as a terrorist organization in its entirety and banning Hizballah affiliates from entering its territory.
- Decree of Amnesty Promulgated in DPRK KCNA 15 Aug 2020 -- The Presidium of the Supreme People's Assembly of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea promulgated a decree of amnesty on July 30 on the occasion of the 75th founding anniversary of the Workers' Party of Korea.
- Bumper Harvesters Increase in DPRK KCNA 15 Aug 2020 -- A campaign for scientific farming and a competition for bumper harvest are getting brisk in rural communities across the DPRK.
- Mosaddegh: The Coup That Failed Radio Farda 15 Aug 2020 -- In the early morning hours of August 16, 1953, Colonel Nematollah Nassiri, the commander of the Imperial Guard, delivered a decree hand-signed by Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi to the office of the Prime Minister, Mohammad Mosaddegh. It was an order for the Prime Minister's dismissal. Hours earlier, Nassiri had handed over another signed order from the Shah to Major General Fazlollah Zahedi, according to which Zahedi was appointed Prime Minister. Fearing the forces loyal to Mosaddegh, Zahedi had been hiding in a safehouse.
- Trump Says U.S. Will Seek 'Snapback' Of UN Iran Sanctions Next Week RFE/RL 15 Aug 2020 -- President Donald Trump says the United States will try to trigger a "snapback" of sanctions on Iran at the United Nations next week, in a move that could kill the Iran nuclear deal and plunge the UN into a diplomatic crisis.
- Iran Media Reacts To UNSC Vote On Arms Embargo; 'A Diplomatic Catastrophe for U.S.' Radio Farda 15 Aug 2020 -- Iranian media shared reactions on Saturday, August 15 to the United Nations Security Council's rejection of the resolution suggested by the United States to extend the arms embargo against Iran beyond October 18.
- Iran says US should learn from failures IRNA 15 Aug 2020 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi wrote in a tweet on Saturday that the US regime should learn a lesson from its failures or it will be more isolated.
- UN Security Council rebuffs US attempt about trigger mechanism as well: Envoy IRNA 15 Aug 2020 -- Iran's Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations Majid Takht Ravanchi says that the UN Security Council rebuffs the US attempt to extend arms embargo on Iran is tantamount to turning down the US bid to invoke the trigger mechanism as well.
- Whining Pompeo vows to do utmost to renew Iran arms embargo Press TV 15 Aug 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said that the failure to extend a UN arms embargo on Iran was a serious mistake.
- UNSC rejection of US attempt to extend arms embargo on Iran tantamount to support JCPOA IRNA 15 Aug 2020 -- The permanent and non-permanent members of the United Nations Security Council said that rejection of the US attempt to extend arms embargo on Iran is tantamount to support the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action and illegality of Washington's move when it walked out of the JCPOA in 2018.
- Failure to extend Iran arms embargo 'not an option,' says US diplomat after UNSC defeat Press TV 15 Aug 2020 -- The US ambassador to the United Nations says failure to extend the Iran arms embargo is "not an option," after the country saw its biggest defeat in the UN Security Council ever.
- Trump says he 'knew' UNSC vote on Iran, vows to use nuclear deal snapback Press TV 15 Aug 2020 -- US President Donald Trump says he "knew" that his resolution against Iran would be rejected in the UN Security Council.
- Envoy: UNSC vote on Iran arms embargo shows US isolation IRNA 15 Aug 2020 -- Iran's Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations Majid Takht Ravanchi in a message stated that the UNSC vote over extension of arms embargo on Iran indicated the US isolation.
- Mousavi: Iran's active diplomacy defeats US IRNA 15 Aug 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Mousavi reacted to the US historic failure against Iran and said Iran's active diplomacy together with the legal strength of its nuclear deal led to the US defeat for the nth time.
- Iran urges int'l community to stand against US "knee on neck" policy IRNA 15 Aug 2020 -- Iran's Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations Majid Takht Ravanchi warned against return of power-based unilateralism and called on the international community to stand against "knee on neck" policy.
- China: Diplomatic efforts only solution to Iran nuclear issue IRNA 15 Aug 2020 -- Permanent Representative of China to the United Nations (UN) Zhang Jun reacted to the failure of US anti-Iran resolution in the Security Council (UNSC), stressing that diplomatic efforts are the only solution to Iran nuclear issue.
- Chinese envoy asks U.S. to change course over Iran nuclear issue People's Daily 15 Aug 2020 -- China's UN Ambassador Zhang Jun on Friday asked the United States to change course over the Iran nuclear issue and return to the right track of multilateralism.
- Iran says US 'has never been so isolated' defeat at UNSC to extend arms ban Press TV 15 Aug 2020 -- Iran says the United States has "never been so isolated" in the UN's 75-year history after Washington suffered a humiliating defeat at the Security Council as its resolution to extend an arms embargo on Tehran was overwhelmingly rejected.
- During 75-year-old history of UN, it's unprecedented for US to become so isolated: Mousavi ISNA 15 Aug 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman, Seyyed Abbas Mousavi stressed that during the 75-year-old history of the United Nations, it was unprecedented for the US to become so isolated.
- US regime should learn from total failures: Iran ISNA 15 Aug 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman stressed that the US regime should learn a lesson from its total failures or the country will get isolated, even more than now.
- UN refusal to back US-drafted anti-Iran resolution proves existence of intl. law: Russia Press TV 15 Aug 2020 -- Russia's Foreign Ministry says the almost unanimous refusal of the United Nations Security Council to support a US-sponsored draft resolution on extending the arms embargo against Iran proves that international law exists.
- European Three Explain UNSC Iran Vote Abstention, Russia And China Call US Move 'Futile' And 'Unilateral' Radio Farda 15 Aug 2020 -- Following the United Nations Security Council's rejection on Friday of the United States-led resolution to extend an arms embargo on Iran, the three European members of the 2015 nuclear agreement with Iran - Britain, France and Germany - explained their reasons for abstaining from the vote, while Iran's allies, China and Russia, called the proposed U.S. resolution "futile" and a "unilateral" move.
- Bid of US Fails to Get Extension of UN Arms Embargo on Iran VOA 15 Aug 2020 -- The United States failed Friday to get an extension of an expiring U.N. arms embargo against Iran, raising the likelihood that Washington will seek to force a "snapback" of all prior international sanctions on Tehran.
- US Says UN Security Council Failed To Hold Iran Accountable Radio Farda 15 Aug 2020 -- The United States' State Department is claiming that the United Nations Security Council has failed to "hold Iran accountable" following the Security Council's rejection on Friday of the U.S.-proposed resolution to extend an arms embargo on Iran set to expire on October 18.
- Iran Diplomats Say Rejection of US Resolution To Extend Arms Embargo 'No To Unilateralism' Radio Farda 15 Aug 2020 -- Top Iranian diplomats reacted to the United Nations Security Council's rejection of a United States-led resolution to extend an arms embargo on Iran, saying it was a "no to unilateralism" and a sign of the "isolation of the United States."
- UN Security Council rejects US draft resolution to extend arms embargo on Iran IRNA 15 Aug 2020 -- UN Security Council on Friday rejected the US draft resolution to extend arms embargo on Iran causing a major setback for the US Administration being rebuffed by the UNSC for the first time.
- UN Security Council fails to adopt resolution that would extend Iran arms embargo People's Daily 15 Aug 2020 -- The UN Security Council on Friday failed to adopt a resolution tabled by the United States that would extend the current arms embargo against Iran.
- UAE's move big mistake, betraying Palestinian cause, strongly condemned: President Rouhani ISNA 15 Aug 2020 -- Given the unfamiliarity of coronavirus and the long-term nature of COVID-19 disease, long-term planning and change in lifestyle are necessary for combatting the virus, said Iran's President, adding, "In this path, people should trust the Ministry of Health, the country's specialists and the decisions of the National Task Force for Fighting Coronavirus".
- Pompeo Says Proceeds From Seized Iran Gasoline Could Go To Victims Of Terror Radio Farda 15 Aug 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of StateMike Pompeo says proceeds from Iranian gasoline seized from oil tankers bound for Venezuela could reach "American victims of state terrorism."
- Iran on US ship seizure claim: Cheap propaganda doesn't deflect from US failure at UN Press TV 15 Aug 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif scoffs at claims that the United States has seized four Venezuela-bound Iranian tankers, clarifying that despite the rumors, the American act of piracy never involved any Iranian vessels.
- US seeks to make up for UNSC failure with alleged seizure of Iranian tankers: Rouhani Press TV 15 Aug 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says the United States has cooked up a story about the seizure of four tankers carrying Iranian gasoline bound for Venezuela after suffering an embarrassing diplomatic defeat at the United Nations Security Council which on Friday rejected its proposal to extend an arms embargo on Iran.
- Iran preparing to file legal complaint against South Korea: Report Press TV 15 Aug 2020 -- The Central Bank of Iran (CBI) is preparing to lodge an official complaint against South Korea, says a report, as Seoul refuses to return Iranian funds blocked in the country allegedly to comply with US sanctions on Tehran.
- US Seizes 4 Vessels Carrying Gasoline From Iran To Venezuela, No Military Force Involved Radio Farda 15 Aug 2020 -- The United States reportedly confiscated four vessels carrying gasoline from Iran to Venezuela this week, following federal prosecutors' calls for the tankers to be seized last month.
- Putin, Lukashenko agree Russia will help maintain security in Belarus if needed Press TV 15 Aug 2020 -- The Belarusian and Russian presidents say the turmoil that has followed the recent presidential elections in the ex-Soviet republic will be remedied soon and not left out for exploitation by the parties that seek to poison the two countries' relations.
- Thousands Mourn Protester As Belarus's Postelection Rallies Continue RFE/RL 15 Aug 2020 -- Thousands of Belarusians have staged a seventh day of peaceful protests against President Alyaksandr Lukashenka's disputed reelection and a harsh crackdown that has drawn international outrage.
- Belarus's Lukashenka Rejects Foreign Mediation Of Postelection Crisis, Says Russia Promised 'Full Assistance' RFE/RL 15 Aug 2020 -- A defiant Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has rejected the possibility of foreign mediation in his country's ongoing postelection crisis, and told military officials that Russia has promised to provide a "full range of assistance" if requested.
- Baltic States Urge New Election In Belarus, Call For EU Sanctions RFE/RL 15 Aug 2020 -- The prime ministers of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania have called on Belarus to conduct a new, "free and fair" vote after the country's disputed August 9 presidential election.
- New Video Of Belarus Protester's Death Appears To Contradict Official Version Of Events RFE/RL 15 Aug 2020 -- New video published by the Associated Press on August 15 showing the death of a Belarusian protester appears to contradict the official version of events.
- Kyiv Angry Over Belarus's Release Of Alleged Russian Mercenary Group RFE/RL 15 Aug 2020 -- Kyiv has expressed anger over a decision by Belarus to release a group of alleged Russian mercenaries that was detained near Minsk in late July.
- Egyptian prime minister visits Sudan as talks on disputed Ethiopian dam on Nile stall Press TV 15 Aug 2020 -- Egyptian Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli has arrived in Sudan on a visit to "improve cooperation" between the two African neighbors, as tensions are simmering over Ethiopia's Nile dam.
- UN Welcomes Bolivia's Election Date Agreement VOA 15 Aug 2020 -- Jean Arnault, the U.N. secretary-general's personal envoy to Bolivia, said in a statement Friday he "welcomes the agreement" the Andean nation's legislature reached Thursday to hold the country's general election October 18.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|