10 August 2020 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Afghan president signs decree to release 'hardcore' Taliban prisoners Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- Afghanistan's President Ashraf Ghani has signed a decree to release a final batch of 'hardcore' Taliban prisoners, raising hopes for long-awaited peace talks to restart.
- Taliban says ready for talks with Kabul a week after release of 400 militants Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- The Taliban militant group says it is ready to begin long-delayed peace talks with the Afghan government within a week after Kabul completes the process of releasing the remaining Taliban prisoners.
- Agreement On Taliban Prisoner Release Brings Afghan Peace Talks A Step Closer RFE/RL 10 Aug 2020 -- The Afghan government and the Taliban are on the verge of starting peace talks aimed at ending almost two decades of war in Afghanistan after President Ashraf Ghani said that he will approve the release of 400 Taliban militants.
- 19 Killed in Mine Blasts as Hopes for Peace Gather Momentum in Afghan VOA 10 Aug 2020 -- Nineteen Afghan civilians were killed in multiple roadside mine blasts in Kabul and Kandahar Sunday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 10 Aug 2020
- Army gets closer to fielding new air defense systems Army News 10 Aug 2020 -- Further evaluation of new air defense capabilities is currently underway, including the Integrated Air and Missile Defense Battle Command System and directed energy weapons, as the Army aims to empower units against near-peer threats.
- Army advances learning capabilities of drone swarms Army News 10 Aug 2020 -- Army researchers developed a reinforcement learning approach that will allow swarms of unmanned aerial and ground vehicles to optimally accomplish various missions while minimizing performance uncertainty.
- Fight and Win: 31st MEU completes two weeks of mission planning and execution at MEUEX USMC News 10 Aug 2020 -- The 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit and subordinate units, Battalion Landing Team, 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines, Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 262 (Reinforced), and Combat Logistics Battalion 31, wrap up two weeks of crisis response readiness missions in support of MEU Exercise here, July 30, 2020.
- Photos: US Air Force Tests B-52's Ability to Carry Hypersonic ARRW Missile Sputnik 10 Aug 2020 -- What could be the final test for the US Air Force's B-52 Stratofortress bomber to field the AGM-183A Air-launched Rapid Response Weapon (ARRW) was carried out in California on Saturday. The next step will be to test-fire the hypersonic missile from the huge bomber, which could come later this year.
- Jolly Green II continues tests, completes first aerial refueling US Air Force 10 Aug 2020 -- Approximately 3,000 feet above Eglin Air Force Base, the HH-60W Jolly Green II connected with a HC-130J tanker for the inaugural aerial refueling by the Air Force's newest combat search and rescue helicopter, Aug. 5.
- DOD & HHS Announce DPA Title III Agreement with BioFire Defense, LLC to Expand Domestic Production Capacity for Molecular Diagnostic Testing DoD 10 Aug 2020 -- As part of the national response to COVID-19, the Department of Defense (DOD), in coordination with the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), signed an agreement with BioFire Defense, LLC, a subsidiary of bioMérieux, to expand the production of the BioFire® COVID-19 Test for the DOD. Government funding allocated was $3.1 million.
- White House and DOD Announce Additional Mid-Band Spectrum Available for 5G by the end of the Summer DoD 10 Aug 2020 -- The White House and Department of Defense announced today that 100 megahertz (MHz) of contiguous mid-band spectrum, in the 3450-3550 MHz band, will be available for 5G by the end of the summer.
- Statement from the Press Secretary The White House 10 Aug 2020
- Department of Defense Statement on Mid-Band Spectrum DoD 10 Aug 2020 -- Dana Deasy, Department of Defense Chief Information Officer
- AMBIT Gambit Pays Off, Advances U.S. 5G Efforts DoD News 10 Aug 2020 -- Thanks to efforts by the White House and the Defense Department, a newly devised spectrum-sharing plan will make 100 megahertz of mid-band spectrum currently used by the military available for sharing with the private sector for use in development of 5G technologies.
- Second aircraft in NATO's future multi-role tanker transport fleet arrives in the Netherlands NATO 10 Aug 2020 -- The second aircraft in NATO's future fleet of multi-role aircraft arrived in Eindhoven, the Netherlands, on Monday (10 August 2020). The milestone follows the arrival of the first aircraft from the production facility in Getafe, Spain on 30 June. By the end of 2024, the full fleet will consist of eight Airbus A330 Multi-Role Tanker Transport (MRTT) aircraft, with an option to extend the contract up to eleven aircraft in the future.
- Dutch search and rescue team deploys to Lebanon, facilitated by NATO strategic airlift NATO 10 Aug 2020 -- The Netherlands has deployed its Dutch Urban Search and Rescue Team to Beirut, following the devastating explosions which rocked the Lebanese capital on 4 August.
- Russia's Su-27 Scrambled to Overtake US Stealth Planes Over Black Sea Sputnik 10 Aug 2020 -- Russian fighter jet Su-27 was scrambled again to overtake US stealth planes over the Black Sea, forcing them to turn away from the Russian border, the national centre for the defence control said Monday.
- China recruits more pilots for carrier-based fighter jets Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- About 16,000 people signed up for the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy's recently completed annual pilot recruitment drive, and among those who have passed the tests to become pilot cadets, nearly half will be trained to fly aircraft carrier-based fighter jets in the coming years. This is expected to satisfy China's future aircraft carrier programs.
- Clarification: Indigenously manufactured items amongstnegative list for imports India PIB 10 Aug 2020 -- Consequent to release of the negative list of items for import by Ministry of Defence (MoD) on August 09, 2020, certain queries have been received with respect to inclusion of some of the items like the light combat aircraft LCA Mark 1A, Pinakarocket system and Akash missile system, which are manufactured in India.
- Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh launches modernization/ up-gradation of facilities and new infrastructure creation of Defence PSUs and OFB India PIB 10 Aug 2020 -- Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh launched the initiatives of a number of modernisation and up-gradation of facilities as also new infrastructure creation by Defence PSUs and OFB, through digital link here today, as part of the Atma Nirbhar Week celebration of the Ministry of Defence.
- Briefing With Senior State Department Official On the Office of the Inspector General's Report on Certification for Arms Sales to Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Jordan US Dept. of State 10 Aug 2020
- Inspector General Confirms No Wrongdoing in Emergency Arms Sales to Counter Iran US Dept. of State 10 Aug 2020 -- The State Department Office of Inspector General (OIG) has confirmed in a final report that the Department acted in complete accordance with the law and found no wrongdoing in the Administration's exercise of emergency authorities available under the Arms Export Control Act (AECA) to expedite $8 billion in critical defense systems to key Middle East partners.
- Remarks by President Trump Before Air Force One Departure | Morristown, NJ The White House 10 Aug 2020
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany | 8/10/2020 The White House 10 Aug 2020
- 10 August 2020 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 10 Aug 2020
- Chinese Vessels Maintain Presence in Philippine-claimed Waters in South China Sea Radio Free Asia 10 Aug 2020 -- Two Chinese survey ships were spotted at a Philippine-claimed feature in the South China Sea last week while Beijing's coast-guard has maintained a presence in the disputed waters through rotations, the Filipino navy chief said Monday, adding his forces were under orders to avoid confrontation.
- Syrian tribe declares popular war against US forces, SDF Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- A Syrian tribe in the eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr has launched a popular resistance force against US troops and their allies, accusing the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) of stealing the country's resources.
- In Kashmir shootout, another politician from Modi's party is killed Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- Another politician from India's ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has succumbed to gunshot wounds hours after being shot by pro-independence fighters in Kashmir.
- Bomb Kills Five In Troubled Pakistani Border Town RFE/RL 10 Aug 2020 -- A bomb targeting a vehicle from Pakistan's Anti-Narcotics Force (ANF) exploded in a busy market in southwestern Pakistan near the Afghan border on August 10, killing at least five people and wounding 10 others, police and hospital officials said.
- Hamas Sends 'Message' to Israel With Barrage of Rockets Fired Into the Sea Sputnik 10 Aug 2020 -- The militant group, which has been in control of the Gaza Strip since 2007, said the rocket fire was an act of defiance against the Israeli blockade.
- Hamas launches missiles toward Mediterranean Sea 'in warning to Israel' Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- The Palestinian Islamic Resistance Movement, Hamas, has launched a barrage of missiles towards the sea in what is seen as another warning to the Israeli regime in the face of the ongoing blockade on the Gaza Strip and repeated acts of aggression against the impoverished enclave.
- Israeli warplanes launch fresh airstrike in Gaza Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- The Israeli military's warplanes have launched a fresh air raid against the positions of the Palestinian resistance movement Hamas in the northern parts of the besieged Gaza Strip.
- 'We Won't Accept Blackmail': Greece Calls on Turkey to Stop 'Illegal Actions' in Mediterranean Sputnik 10 Aug 2020 -- On Friday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced that Ankara had restarted gas drilling operations in a disputed area of the Mediterranean, and accused Athens of failing to keep its promises on possible talks after the announcement of a Greek-Egyptian maritime exclusive economic zone.
- Tensions Escalate Over Turkish Drilling Plans in East Mediterranean VOA 10 Aug 2020 -- Greece's entire armed forces are on emergency alert Monday following Turkey's decision to send a vessel to explore potential drilling sites off the coast of two Greek islands in the southeast Aegean Sea. The escalation comes after Greece and Egypt signed a maritime deal blocking Turkish access to the Eastern Mediterranean – a move that has enraged Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, leading him to flex his country's muscle in a long-running territorial tussle.
- France Investigates Killings of French, Nigerien Workers in Niger VOA 10 Aug 2020 -- French and Nigerien soldiers searched through a giraffe reserve and its surrounding area in Niger's Koure region on Monday for the killers of six French aid workers.
- Seven Killed as Al-Shabab Inmates Fire at Somali Prison Guards VOA 10 Aug 2020 -- Somali security forces have shot dead four armed inmates after a fierce gun battle in Mogadishu's central prison, security officials told VOA Somali. Three prison guards were also killed in Monday's incident, officials confirmed.
- 80 Killed in South Sudan Warrap State's Inter-Communal Fighting VOA 10 Aug 2020 -- Witnesses say at least 80 people were killed and more than 90 others were injured in violent clashes involving soldiers and civilians in Warrap state's Tonj East County over the weekend as South Sudan troops began disarming civilians.
- Six Killed in Port Sudan Inter-Communal Fighting VOA 10 Aug 2020 -- At least six people were killed and more than 50 others were injured after a peaceful protest turned violent in the city of Port Sudan Sunday night, said local residents. Authorities in eastern Sudan, where the area is located, imposed a 5 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew to prevent further violence.
- Brooklyn Man Pleads Guilty in Manhattan Federal Court to Attempting to Provide Material Support to ISIS US Dept. of Justice 10 Aug 2020 -- Zachary Clark Disseminated ISIS Propaganda and Bomb-Making Instructions in an Effort to Incite Acts of Terrorism and Violence in New York City and Elsewhere
- Brooklyn Man Pleads Guilty to Attempting to Provide Material Support to Islamic State VOA 10 Aug 2020 -- An American man pleaded guilty in federal court Monday to attempting to provide material support to the Islamic State (IS) terror group and distributing bomb-making instructions.
- Slovakia Reportedly Expels Russian Diplomats on Suspicion of Espionage Sputnik 10 Aug 2020 -- The agency's source said that the diplomats must leave the country by the end of the week.
- U.S. 'Deeply Concerned' By Russia's Targeting Of 'Foreign Agent' Media RFE/RL 10 Aug 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says Washington is "deeply concerned" by fresh efforts by Russia to target foreign media operating there.
- Lebanese Prime Minister Diab Formally Announces Resignation of Government Sputnik 10 Aug 2020 -- The announcement comes following the August 4 ammonium nitrate explosion in Beirut's port, which sparked large-scale protests and clashes in the Lebanese capital, and led to calls by protesters for the government to resign.
- Guterres pledges continued UN support for Lebanon 'in every possible way' UN News 10 Aug 2020 -- The United Nations and humanitarian partners are working around the clock to support and mobilize emergency assistance in the aftermath of the deadly explosion in Beirut Port last Tuesday.
- Lebanon's PM Diab announces government's resignation amid popular outrage over Beirut blast Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- Lebanon's Prime Minister Hassan Diab has announced resignation of his government following a similar move by several ministers, and amid angry protests in the country that followed the devastating blast of August 4 in the Beirut port.
- Lebanese Government Resigns Following Beirut Blast VOA 10 Aug 2020 -- Lebanon's government resigned Monday in the aftermath of Tuesday's devastating explosion at Beirut's port and angry public protests that followed, the country's prime minister announced Monday night.
- Bubonic Plague Kills 2 in Inner Mongolia, Forces Chinese Officials to Close Off Area Sputnik 10 Aug 2020 -- Authorities in a city in the Chinese region of Inner Mongolia have issued a warning after a patient in the Suji Xincun village recently died from the bubonic plague, the region's second such fatality in August.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on August 10, 2020 PRC MofA 10 Aug 2020
- Statement by National Security Advisor Robert C. O'Brien The White House 10 Aug 2020
- China Sanctions US Lawmakers, Rights Group Heads in Retaliation Over Hong Kong Radio Free Asia 10 Aug 2020 -- China on Monday imposed sanctions on U.S. officials and the heads of pro-democracy and human rights organizations in retaliation over U.S. President Donald Trump's sanctions on officials linked to a recent crackdown on dissent in Hong Kong.
- China Slaps Several US Officials With Sanctions in Retaliation for Hong Kong Restrictions Sputnik 10 Aug 2020 -- On Friday, the US Treasury Department said that the United States had imposed sanctions on 11 Chinese individuals in response to an alleged effort to "undermine" Hong Kong's autonomy.
- China Denounces Statement of 5 Western Foreign Ministers on Hong Kong as Meddling Sputnik 10 Aug 2020 -- The joint statement of the foreign ministers of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States on Hong Kong is yet another instance of interference in China's domestic affairs, the Chinese embassy in Canada said in a statement on Monday.
- Hong Kong Media Tycoon Jimmy Lai Arrested Under National Security Law - Reports Sputnik 10 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong police have arrested pro-democratic media tycoon Jimmy Lai under the national security law, Chinese media reported on Monday.
- Hong Kong Police Raid Next Media Offices, Arrest Pro-Democracy Founder Radio Free Asia 10 Aug 2020 -- Authorities in Hong Kong on Monday arrested pro-democracy media tycoon Jimmy Lai and raided the newsroom of his flagship newspaper, the Apple Daily, under a draconian new security law imposed on the city by the ruling Chinese Communist Party.
- Hong Kong Publisher, Democracy Advocate Arrested VOA 10 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong media tycoon and staunch democracy advocate Jimmy Lai was one of seven people arrested Monday on charges of violating the new national security law imposed by China.
- Hong Kong police arrest media tycoon over suspected collusion with foreign forces: Daily Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- Police in Hong Kong have reportedly arrested media tycoon Jimmy Lai, also a UK citizen, over suspected collusion with foreign forces.
- Taiwan condemns Hong Kong arrests of media tycoon, democracy activists CNA 10 Aug 2020 -- Taiwan on Monday condemned the arrest of seven democracy activists in Hong Kong, including Hong Kong tycoon Jimmy Lai (黎智英), founder of media group Next Digital, on suspicion of violating the city's new security law.
- Secessionists like Lai who collude with external forces must be severely punished: HK&Macao affairs office Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- The Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office of China's State Council on Monday expressed firm support for the Hong Kong police's arrest of Jimmy Lai and other secessionists, saying people colluding with external forces to jeopardize national security must be severely punished in line with the law.
- UPDATE: More personnel from Apple Daily to be arrested: observers Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- After the arrest of Jimmy Lai Chee-ying, founder of Apple Daily, for violating the national security law for Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Police Force searched the headquarters of Next Digital, parent company of Apple Daily, on Monday morning, as more executives from the notorious media group were arrested.
- So-called U.S. sanctions will become world's laughingstock: liaison office of China's central gov't in HKSAR People's Daily 10 Aug 2020 -- The U.S. side, in league with Hong Kong's opposition camp, challenged "one country, two systems" and the red line of national security in Hong Kong, plunging Hong Kong into prolonged disturbances, and they are the real destroyer of Hong Kong's democracy, freedom and high degree of autonomy, said the liaison office.
- NPC to decide on legislative operation in HK over deferral People's Daily 10 Aug 2020 -- China's top legislative body has started deliberating a bill during its four-day meeting since Saturday to decide on the arrangements of the normal operation of the Hong Kong Legislative Council after the postponement of its election.
- China sanctions 11 American officials over US moves against Hong Kong Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- China has slapped sanctions on eleven US officials, in retaliation for similar measures by Washington against Hong Kong's leader and a number of other key officials over a security law that China enacted for the semi-autonomous region in late June.
- US sanctions pose quandary for banks operating in Hong Kong Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- Fresh US sanctions against Chinese officials, having been defined by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) as lacking legal standing in the special administrative region (SAR), could still put some locally operated foreign banks with strong links to the US in a quandary, financial industry watchers said Monday.
- Lai's arrest a heavy blow to HK secessionism Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- About 40 days after the enactment of the highly anticipated national security law for Hong Kong, justice has finally been served as Jimmy Lai Chee-ying, one of the most high-profile local secessionists, was arrested by police on Monday.
- Reciprocal sanctions on US lawmakers, NGOs 'aim to reduce influence in HK, warn secessionists' Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- China on Monday announced sanctions against 11 US lawmakers and heads of nongovernmental organizations, including US senators Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz, and Executive Director of Human Rights Watch Kenneth Roth, as countermeasures against earlier US sanctions on 11 officials from the Chinese mainland and the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).
- China sanctions US lawmakers, NGO heads as countermeasures Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- China on Monday announced sanctions on 11 US lawmakers and individuals, including Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz, as countermeasures against earlier US sanctions on Chinese central government and Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) officials following the passing of the national security law for Hong Kong.
- 'Five Eyes' countries play double standard, don't representing intl community: Chinese FM Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- China deplores and rejects the joint statement on Hong Kong issued by the foreign ministers of the Five Eyes Alliance.
- Taiwan Air Force 'Drove Out' Chinese Fighter Jets From Its Airspace, Defence Ministry Says Sputnik 10 Aug 2020 -- The incident took place the day after US Health Secretary Alex Azar arrived on the island. Azar has become the highest-ranking American official to visit Taiwan since the United States cut official ties with the island in 1979.
- Chinese fighter jets briefly cross median line in the Taiwan Strait CNA 10 Aug 2020 -- Two Chinese warplanes briefly crossed the Taiwan Strait median line Monday morning into the Taiwan half of the waterway, according to Air Force Headquarters.
- Presidential Office condemns Beijing for Chinese jet intrusion CNA 10 Aug 2020 -- The Presidential Office on Monday condemned Beijing for its latest provocative military act targeting Taipei after two Chinese warplanes briefly crossed the Taiwan Strait median line earlier in the day.
- PLA fighter jets cross 'middle line' of Taiwan Straits an hour before US official's meeting with Tsai Ing-wen Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- Fighter jets from Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force reportedly crossed the "middle line" of the Taiwan Straits at around 9 am Monday morning, an hour before top US health official met with Taiwan regional leader Tsai Ing-wen.
- China lodges solemn representations with US over Azar's Taiwan visit: Chinese FM Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- China has always been firmly opposed to official exchanges between the US and the island of Taiwan and has lodged solemn representations with the US side on the relevant situation, said the Chinese Foreign Ministry on Monday in response to the US health secretary Alex Azar 's visit to Taiwan.
- Azar-Tsai meeting symbolic, 'meant to provoke Beijing' Global Times 10 Aug 2020 -- US health secretary Alex Azar and Taiwan leader Tsai Ing-wen's meeting on Monday carry more symbolic weight than actual substance and was simply a manifest of Washington's political agenda of using the island to provoke Beijing, Chinese analysts commented.
- U.S., Taiwan sign first-ever MOU on health cooperation CNA 10 Aug 2020 -- Taiwan and the United States signed their first memorandum of understanding (MOU) on health cooperation on Monday to expand cooperation on global health security, infectious disease control and vaccine development.
- U.S. to discuss WHO alternatives with Taiwan: U.S. health official CNA 10 Aug 2020 -- The United States will talk with Taiwan and other global partners about "appropriate vehicles" to continue U.S. support for global public health after it officially withdraws from the World Health Organization (WHO), U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said Monday.
- U.S. health secretary, President Tsai hold historic meeting CNA 10 Aug 2020 -- United States Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar met with Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Monday, in the highest-level official meeting between the two countries since 1979, when the U.S. switched diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing.
- US health chief conveys Trump's message of support to Taiwan amid tensions with China Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- The US health secretary – the most senior official to travel to Taiwan in four decades – has conveyed President Donald Trump's message of "strong support" to the self-ruled island's leader, Tsai Ing-wen, during a visit sharply condemned by mainland China.
- Zarif terms JCPOA as product of negative-sum to positive-sum transmission IRNA 10 Aug 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif on Monday described the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action aka JCPOA as the product of transmission from negative-sum to positive-sum approach.
- Iran will utilize various ways to release frozen funds, FM Zarif says IRNA 10 Aug 2020 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif on Monday said that the Islamic Republic of Iran will make use of various means to release its frozen funds in some countries.
- Iran blasts PGCC's anti-Iran statement ISNA 10 Aug 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman has denounced a recent anti-Iran statement issued by the Persian Gulf Cooperation Council (PGCC).
- Tehran Claims European Insurers Responsible for Compensation of Downed Ukraine Jet Sputnik 10 Aug 2020 -- The head of Iran's Central Insurance Organization is arguing that European insurance companies, rather than Tehran, should be responsible for covering costs related to the Ukrainian International Airlines (UIA) plane downed shortly after takeoff by Iranian military personnel on January 8.
- Pakistani Navy Reportedly Seizes Iranian Oil Tanker at US's Behest Sputnik 10 Aug 2020 -- The alleged seizure is reminiscent of a diplomatic incident which took place last year in which authorities in Gibraltar seized an Iranian tanker making its way to Syria after a tipoff from Washington, which prompted Tehran to seize a British-flagged tanker in a tit-for-tat response. Both tankers were eventually released.
- Trump vows to 'have a deal' with Iran deal 4 weeks after 2020 reelection Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- US President Donald Trump says he will "have a deal" with Iran a month after his possible reelection in the 2020 presidential election.
- Pompeo Says UN Should Heed A Request By GCC To Extend Iran Arms Embargo Radio Farda 10 Aug 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says Middle Eastern countries want the renewal of the United Nations arms embargo on Iran and the Security Council should heed their request.
- Gulf Arab Countries Back Extension Of UN Arms Embargo On Iran RFE/RL 10 Aug 2020 -- The Gulf Cooperation Council has sent a letter to the United Nations endorsing an extension of an arms embargo on Iran, which the United States has vehemently argued must not be allowed to expire.
- JCPOA turned negative-sum game into benefit for all parties: Iran's FM Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- Iran's foreign minister says the conclusion of a nuclear deal with world powers in 2015 helped turn a negative-sum game among various players into something that benefited all of them.
- Zarif: Iran may take legal action to get blocked money back Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the Islamic Republic will use every possible method, including taking legal action if needed, to get back its money, which has been unlawfully blocked by certain countries under direct pressure from Washington.
- Iran's Rial Regaining Value As Central Bank Injects $2.5 Billion Into Market Radio Farda 10 Aug 2020 -- Iran's national currency regained 10 percent of its value on Monday after the Central Bank of Iran (CBI) injected $2.5 billion into the market in recent days.
- Iran Might Be Thinking To Sell 'Oil Bonds' To People To Raise Cash Radio Farda 10 Aug 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani's promise last week to announce an "economic breakthrough" soon gave way to speculations that Iran was ready to approve anti-money-laundering laws mandated by the international community.
- Europeans should pay compensation for downed Ukrainian plane: Iran Central Insurance Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- The president of the Central Insurance of Iran says a Ukrainian passenger plane that was accidentally downed near Tehran in early January was insured by European firms and they should pay compensation for it.
- European Insurers Must Pay For Downed Ukrainian Plane, Iran Official Says Radio Farda 10 Aug 2020 -- The Head of Iran's regulatory Central Insurance on Monday said the European companies that insured the Ukrainian plane downed by its Revolutionary Guard on January 8 must pay the compensation.
- North Korea Neighborhood Watch Units Identify Hungry Households, Make Neighbors Donate Food Radio Free Asia 10 Aug 2020 -- A North Korean campaign to deploy Neighborhood Watch Units to identify starving households in need of government aid drew anger among residents when the survey was followed by orders to donate corn from their own limited food supplies, sources in the country told RFA.
- Presidential Elections in Belarus US Dept. of State 10 Aug 2020 -- The United States is deeply concerned about the conduct of the August 9 presidential election in Belarus, which was not free and fair.
- UK Statement: Belarusian Presidential Elections 2020 UK FCO 10 Aug 2020 -- The UK calls on the Government of Belarus to refrain from further violence and to respect the fundamental human rights of the Belarusian people.
- Belarus: UN chief following post-election developments 'with great concern' UN News 10 Aug 2020 -- The UN Secretary-General has appealed for restraint in Belarus, where ongoing clashes between police and demonstrators continue following disputed elections held on Sunday.
- As Belarus's Strongman Seeks To Extend His Embattled Rule, Moscow Watches Warily RFE/RL 10 Aug 2020 -- As election officials in Belarus claimed a landslide victory for incumbent Alyaksandr Lukashenka, and his main challenger rejected that result as rigged, Russian President Vladimir Putin sent his counterpart a congratulatory note urging continued cooperation that "fulfills the vital interests of brotherly nations."
- Xi congratulates Lukashenko on re-election as Belarusian president People's Daily 10 Aug 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Monday sent a congratulatory message to Alexander Lukashenko on his re-election as Belarusian president.
- Lukashenko re-elected Belarus president, opposition cries foul after deadly protests Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- Alexander Lukashenko has won a sixth term in office as president of Belarus, in a sweeping victory that was announced after violent clashes between police and opposition supporters who say the vote is rigged.
- Detentions Reported Ahead Of Renewed Protests Against Belarusian Election Result RFE/RL 10 Aug 2020 -- Police in the Belarusian capital have reportedly detained protesters ahead of continued demonstrations against official election results declaring
- Belarusian Opposition Presents Broadest Challenge Yet To Strongman Lukashenka After Disputed Election RFE/RL 10 Aug 2020 -- "I know that this morning, Belarusians have awakened in a new country," opposition presidential candidate Svyatlana Tsikhanouskaya said in a postelection statement on August 10. "And I hope that [this day] will bring only good news."
- Police Crack Down On Protests In Belarus After Results Show Lukashenka Winning In Landslide RFE/RL 10 Aug 2020 -- Belarusian security forces violently dispersed protests in Minsk and other cities after early results from the country's presidential election gave incumbent President Alyaksandr Lukashenka a commanding lead.
- Police, Protesters Clash After Belarusian Election VOA 10 Aug 2020 -- Clashes between protesters and police broke out across Belarus on Monday, after the country's longtime president was declared the winner of Sunday's national election.
- US court summons Saudi crown prince over alleged assassination attempt Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- A court in the United States has summoned Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS) based on a lawsuit initiated by a former senior Saudi intelligence official accusing the kingdom's de facto ruler of an assassination attempt against him.
- Anti-Government Protests Continue in Thailand VOA 10 Aug 2020 -- Rival protests took place in Bangkok Monday, with dozens of students continuing weekslong calls to change the constitution.
- Political crisis in Guinea-Bissau: UN Representative urges political leaders to enact reforms UN News 10 Aug 2020 -- Entrenched political divisions in Guinea-Bissau pose a serious threat to stability in the West African country, the top UN official there told the Security Council on Monday, as she called for continued international engagement and for reforms outlined in a four-year old agreement, to be enacted.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|