01 August 2020 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
Defense Policy / Programs
- Army National Guard to establish eight Divisions by aligning existing ARNG Division Headquarters with down-trace formations for training Army News 01 Aug 2020 -- The Army National Guard is turning back the clock reminiscent of World War I and World War II when it trained to deploy as a division-aligned force for large-scale combat operations. The Director of the Army National Guard, Lt. Gen. Daniel Hokanson, said the plan will align existing subordinate elements under the ARNG's eight division headquarters to increase readiness for large-scale combat operations and improve talent management.
- US to have permanent military presence in Poland as defense pact agreed Press TV 01 Aug 2020 -- The United States and Poland have agreed for the US to deploy at least 1,000 additional American troops and have a permanent military presence in the European country.
- The US Navy Mocks Iran's Target Practice On A Replica Of An Aircraft Carrier Radio Farda 01 Aug 2020 -- In a series of pictures and messages on Instagram, the U.S. Navy has mocked the Islamic Republic for making a replica of an American aircraft carrier and using it for target practice in the Persian Gulf.
- Japan's Okinawa declares state of emergency amid US-majority virus cases Press TV 01 Aug 2020 -- Japan has declared a state of emergency in the Okinawa region due to an "explosive spread" of coronavirus cases, with the majority of them been detected among US forces there.
- Xi stresses modernization of national defense, armed forces PLA Daily 01 Aug 2020 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, has stressed advancing the modernization of the national defense and armed forces.
- Regular Press Conference of the Ministry of National Defense on July 30 PLA Daily 01 Aug 2020
- Germany Dissolves Elite Army Unit Over Far-right Activity VOA 01 Aug 2020 -- Germany's defense ministry officially disbanded a company of its Special Forces Command (KSK) on Saturday, following reports that it had been exposed to far-right and neo-Nazi ideology.
- UK Wants US to Take Up Part of Spending Burden for Trident Missile's New Warhead, Report Says Sputnik 01 Aug 2020 -- The Pentagon leaked the UK's plans to purchase a new generation of W93 nuclear warheads for its submarine-based Trident weapons system earlier this year, with the upgrade expected to cost in excess of £11 billion ($14 billion) for the warheads alone, and £31 billion ($40 billion US) total.
- PMU official: US only concerned about looting Iraqi oil, never thinks about nation Press TV 01 Aug 2020 -- An official from Iraq's Popular Mobilization Forces or Hashd al-Sha'abi says Washington only seeks to loot the Arab country's crude oil, stressing that US officials are unconcerned about the Iraqi nation and their woes.
- Israel's recent assault on southern Lebanon violates UN resolution: President Aoun Press TV 01 Aug 2020 -- Lebanon's President Michel Aoun says his country is ready to defend itself against Israel's acts of aggression, which are in violation of a 2006 resolution by the United Nations Security Council (UNSC), a few days after Israel bombed a Lebanese border town.
- US cannot disarm Lebanon's Hezbollah through sanctions: Russian ambassador to Beirut Press TV 01 Aug 2020 -- The Russian ambassador to Beirut says US officials are under the illusion that they can disarm the Lebanese Hezbollah resistance movement through sanctions.
- Portland Riots Read-out: August 1 DHS 01 Aug 2020
- Trump says fed agents to stay in Portland to finish 'cleanup of anarchists, agitators' Press TV 01 Aug 2020 -- US Homeland Security agents, who were to begin pulling out of central Portland, Oregon, on Thursday, in an embarrassing retreat by the White House, made it clear they would not leave quietly.
- Protesters Brave Drenching Rain To Demonstrate In Khabarovsk For 22nd Day RFE/RL 01 Aug 2020 -- Thousands of people braved rainy weather in Russia's Far Eastern city of Khabarovsk on August 1 to attend a fourth weekend of mass demonstrations against President Vladimir Putin's role in a regional political crisis.
- Protests Continue in Khabarovsk, Russia, Against Arrest and Replacement of Popular Regional Governor VOA 01 Aug 2020 -- Protesters took to the streets of the Russian city of Khabarovsk for the fourth straight weekend on Saturday, angered by the arrest of the region's popular governor.
- On the Postponement of Hong Kong's Legislative Council Elections US Dept. of State 01 Aug 2020 -- "The United States condemns the Hong Kong government's decision to postpone by one year upcoming Legislative Council elections originally scheduled for September 6."
- Hong Kong police seeking 6 fugitives, to uphold national security Global Times 01 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong police are seeking secessionist Nathan Law Kwun-chung and five others for promoting independence of Hong Kong and colluding with foreign forces, signaling the government's determination to punish people who jeopardize the national security, Chinese observers said Saturday.
- Postponing Hong Kong LegCo election reasonable, legitimate: central gov't office People's Daily 01 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese central government fully understands and supports the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government's decision to postpone the Legislative Council (LegCo) election in the view of severe COVID-19 epidemic situation, a statement said Friday.
- Hong Kong's Electoral Affairs Commission respects government's decision to postpone LegCo election People's Daily 01 Aug 2020 -- The Electoral Affairs Commission (EAC) of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Friday expressed understanding and respect over the HKSAR government's decision to postpone the 2020 Legislative Council (LegCo) General Election of the HKSAR.
- Hong Kong Chief Says Only Beijing Able to Resolve Legislative Limbo of Delayed Election Sputnik 01 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam believes it's reasonable to extend the term of the current Legislative Assembly for a year as the legislative elections were postponed by over a year.
- US Lawmakers Condemn Beijing's Crackdowns in Hong Kong VOA 01 Aug 2020 -- Two prominent members of the U.S. Congress issued a stern warning to China on Friday in response to arrest warrants issued for six pro-democracy activists, including a U.S citizen, under Hong Kong's new national security law.
- Anti-China remarks won't deter Chinese people: spokesperson People's Daily 01 Aug 2020 -- Chinese people will not be intimidated by some U.S. politicians' words and deeds against China and will work with people of other countries to jointly build a brighter future for humanity, a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Friday.
- Trump pressuring Chinese firm to divest TikTok Press TV 01 Aug 2020 -- US President Donald Trump has announced a decision to ban a Chinese-owned popular video app, Tik Tok, once more escalating the existing tensions between the two countries.
- Trump Sets Clock Ticking for TikTok VOA 01 Aug 2020 -- President Donald Trump went to one of his private golf courses Saturday in Virginia after threatening to halt operations in the United States of a popular Chinese-owned video sharing social media app.
- Taiwan establishes National Human Rights Commission CNA 01 Aug 2020 -- The establishment of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Saturday is a milestone for Taiwan as it aims to bring local laws and practices more in line with global standards, said President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文).
- Iran arrests ringleader of US-based terrorist group IRNA 01 Aug 2020 -- Iran's Intelligence Ministry announced on Saturday that it has arrested the ringleader of a terrorist group known as Tondar which is based in the United States.
- Iran arrests head of US-based "Tondar" terrorist group ISNA 01 Aug 2020 -- Iranian intelligence forces have arrested the ringleader of a US-based terrorist group called "Tondar".
- Iran's Intelligence Ministry Claims Arresting Leader Of US-Based 'Terrorist' Group Radio Farda 01 Aug 2020 -- Iran's Intelligence Ministry claimed on Saturday August 1 that it has arrested "the ringleader" of what it called the US-based "terrorist" group Tondar [Thunder].
- Iran Says It Has Detained A Leader Of U.S.-Based Opposition Group RFE/RL 01 Aug 2020 -- Authorities in Iran say they have arrested a leader of a U.S.-based opposition group for alleged involvement in a 2008 mosque attack in Shiraz that killed 14 people and injured more than 200.
- US must be accountable for supporting terrorist groups, Iran says IRNA 01 Aug 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Mousavi on Saturday said that the US must be accountable for supporting terrorist groups that are directing sabotage and terrorist operations against the Iranian people from the United States and shed the blood of Iranian citizens.
- Execution Of Protesters Sentenced To Death In Iran 'Not Being Carried Out' Radio Farda 01 Aug 2020 -- The Head of the Justice Department of Isfahan Province Mohammad-Reza Habibi on Friday denied that the death sentences passed on five young protesters were to be carried out now.
- US-based group ringleader admits providing explosives for 2008 deadly bomb attack in Iran Press TV 01 Aug 2020 -- Upon arrest by Iranian security forces, the ringleader of a US-based anti-Iran terrorist group admits providing explosives for a 2008 attack against a religious congregation center in southern Iran that killed 14 people.
- Iran arrests ringleader of US-based terrorist group: Intelligence ministry Press TV 01 Aug 2020 -- The Iranian Intelligence Ministry says it has arrested the ringleader of an anti-Iran terrorist group based in the United States.
- Only cure for sanctions is reliance on internal capabilities not retreat: Ayatollah Khamenei ISNA 01 Aug 2020 -- The Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution, Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei spoke directly to the people of Iran on the occasion of Eid al-Adha on July 31, 2020.
- Turkish, Iraqi presidents reiterate resolve to maintain strong ties with Iran Press TV 01 Aug 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani has expressed Iran's determination to enhance friendly relations with neighboring Turkey in all fields despite cruel US sanctions on the Iranian people.
- US Says Policy Of Sanctions To Continue Until Iran Changes Course Radio Farda 01 Aug 2020 -- The U.S. National Security Council referring to the latest sanctions imposed on Iran says sanctions will continue until the Islamic Republic "ceases to pose a threat to international peace and Security."
- Iraqi premier calls early elections in June 2021, one year earlier than scheduled Press TV 01 Aug 2020 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi says he will hold early parliamentary elections next June, a year earlier than scheduled, doubling down on a promise he made when he came to power to meet a key demand of anti-government protesters.
- Belarusian President Accuses Russia Of Trying To Cover Up Vagner Group Election Plot RFE/RL 01 Aug 2020 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has accused Russia of trying to cover up an attempt to send 200 fighters from a private Russian military firm into Belarus on a mission to destabilize the country ahead of its August 9 presidential election.
- Russian Foreign Intelligence Chief Hopes Incident in Belarus Resolved for Friendly Ties Sputnik 01 Aug 2020 -- Russia's Foreign Intelligence Chief Sergey Naryshkin said on Saturday he hoped the incident of Minsk's detention of 33 Russian nationals will be resolved in the interest of fraternal relations between the two countries.
- Thousands Attend Three Rallies Organized By Belarusian Opposition Presidential Candidate RFE/RL 01 Aug 2020 -- Belarusian presidential candidate Svyatlana Tsikhanouskaya, whose recent campaign events have drawn large crowds, staged three rallies on August 1 ahead of the country's August 9 election.
- Cambodia Union Chief Arrested on 'Incitement' Charges in Vietnam Border Dispute Radio Free Asia 01 Aug 2020 -- Cambodian union leader Rong Chhun was charged with "incitement" and jailed in Phnom Penh Saturday, a day after his arrest for claiming the government has allowed Vietnam to encroach on farmland along their shared border, according to court officials and lawyers.
- Cambodian Union Leader Arrested for 'Incitement' VOA 01 Aug 2020 -- Cambodian authorities have arrested a prominent union leader for allegedly inciting social unrest over border demarcation issues with the neighboring Vietnam, the latest crackdown against opposition voices in the kingdom.
- UAE Launches Operation of Arab World's First Nuclear Power Plant Sputnik 01 Aug 2020 -- Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum announced on Saturday the successful launch of the Barakah NPP, the first commercial nuclear power station in the Arab world.
- Index Resignations 'Blow to Media Freedom' in Hungary VOA 01 Aug 2020 -- Working as a reporter and deputy editor for the Hungarian publication Index was a pinnacle in Szabolcs Panyi's career as a journalist.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|