05 July 2020 Military News
- US intelligence involved in 'drug trafficking' in Afghanistan: Russia envoy Press TV 05 Jul 2020 -- The Russian presidential envoy to Afghanistan says the US intelligence has been involved in "drug trafficking" in the country, while dismissing accusations by Washington that Moscow has colluded with the Taliban to kill American troops.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US redeployment of B-52H in Guam a blatant show of muscle: expert Global Times 05 Jul 2020 -- The move by the Pentagon to relocate the B-52H strategic bomber to Guam in the western Pacific and dual US aircraft carriers staging exercises in the South China Sea amid large-scale exercises conducted by the People's Liberation Army's Navy in the South China Sea is not a coincidence but a blatant "show of muscle."
- Iran operates underground missile cities along southern shores: IRGC commander Press TV 05 Jul 2020 -- Iran's Armed Forces have developed underground missile cities along the country's entire southern shores, including the Persian Gulf and the Sea of Oman, says the commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy.
- 'We Are Your Nightmare': Iran Has Underground 'Missile Cities' on Southern Coasts, Admiral Says Sputnik 05 Jul 2020 -- Despite numerous protests from Iran, US warships regularly patrol the Persian Gulf and Strait of Hormuz, including the Islamic Republic's maritime borders. Washington hasn't backed down from the practice, even after complaining about Iranian speedboats "harassing" American destroyers.
- Second soldier dies after anti-landing drill accident CNA 05 Jul 2020 -- A solider who fell overboard during a military anti-landing drill last week died in hospital Sunday, bringing the death toll to two in the boat accident that occurred off the coast of Kaohsiung in southern Taiwan.
- Supervisor of fatal military drill commits suicide: Navy CNA 05 Jul 2020 -- One of the supervisors of a Navy anti-landing drill in Taiwan that went fatally wrong on Friday has committed suicide, the military said Sunday.
- One of three Marine soldiers critically wounded in landing drill dies CNA 05 Jul 2020 -- One of the soldiers who fell overboard during a military drill on Friday passed away early Sunday, the Navy Command said in a statement.
- Remarks by President Trump at the 2020 Salute to America The White House 05 Jul 2020
- Rare US dual aircraft carrier drills in South China Sea 'a show' for allies Global Times 05 Jul 2020 -- At a time when relations between China and the US are further deteriorating over a series of topics including trade, the COVID-19 pandemic, Taiwan and Hong Kong, the US has deployed two aircraft carriers and other warships to the South China Sea for its largest-scale exercises in the region in years, which also coincided with Chinese military drills taking place in the same area and time frame.
- US sending aircraft carriers to the South China Sea during Chinese drills Press TV 05 Jul 2020 -- The United States is sending two aircraft carriers to the South China Sea to hold military exercises at the same time China is holding drills in the area.
- US Expands Remote Pacific Military Base Amid Regional Standoff With China: Report Sputnik 05 Jul 2020 -- In late June, a Chinese government think tank warned of a possible military conflict due to the US military's "unprecedented" deployment to the Asia-Pacific region.
- Turkish troops, allied militants cut off drinking water to people in Syria's Hasakah, environs Press TV 05 Jul 2020 -- Turkish military troops and allied militants have once again cut off drinking water supplies to about a million people living in and around the northeastern Syrian city of Hasakah by stopping a border water pumping station, a report says.
- Iraq officially protests Turkey's cross-border offensive Press TV 05 Jul 2020 -- The Iraqi government has expressed its official protest at Turkey's attacks against the Arab country's north, saying the offensive must immediately stop.
- Rocket lands near Baghdad's Green Zone, injures child: Iraqi military Press TV 05 Jul 2020 -- A rocket has struck a home near the heavily fortified Green Zone in the Iraqi capital Baghdad, which houses some of the main government offices and foreign diplomatic missions, including the US Embassy.
- Rocket Attack Targets Baghdad's Green Zone VOA 05 Jul 2020 -- A rocket attack Sunday targeted Baghdad's Green Zone, home to a number of embassies, including that of the United States.
- Israel to build over 160 new settler units in occupied West Bank Press TV 05 Jul 2020 -- Israeli officials are planning to construct new housing units in the occupied West Bank irrespective of an international outcry against the Tel Aviv regime's settlement expansion policies, besides its contentious plans to annex large parts of the Palestinian territories.
- Kuwait calls for decisive Arab, intl. stance against Israel's annexation plan Press TV 05 Jul 2020 -- Kuwait has strongly denounced the Israeli regime's plan to annex large parts of the occupied Palestinian territories in the West Bank, calling on the international community to take a united stance against the move.
- Israel's annexation of Palestinian lands could trigger 3rd intifada: Abbas' aide Press TV 05 Jul 2020 -- An adviser to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has warned that a third intifada (uprising) could be just around the corner if Israel goes ahead with its highly-contentious plan to annex parts of the occupied Palestinian territories.
- Daesh kills 2, including 5-year-old, in Nigeria Press TV 05 Jul 2020 -- Takfiri Daesh terrorists have killed two civilians, including a five-year-old, in an attack in northeast Nigeria, the United Nations (UN) says.
- Al-Shabab Militants Abduct, Kill Somali Lawmaker VOA 05 Jul 2020 -- A regional Somali lawmaker has been abducted and killed by al-Shabab militants near the town of Bal'ad, 30 kilometers north of Mogadishu.
- Federal Protective Service Statement on Portland Civil Unrest Department of Homeland Security 05 Jul 2020 -- Officers from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Protective Service detained eight people following the 37th consecutive night of violence and civil unrest in Downtown Portland.
- Russian Shot Dead Near Vienna Was Reportedly A Kadyrov Critic RFE/RL 05 Jul 2020 -- A Russian asylum seeker who was shot dead outside the Austrian capital, Vienna, on July 4 was a former Chechen separatist and a critic of Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov, sources in the Chechen diaspora told RFE/RL.
- Putin: Adoption of Constitutional Amendments Right For Russia Sputnik 05 Jul 2020 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Sunday has expressed confidence that the adoption of amendments to the country's constitution following a nationwide vote is a step in the right direction for strengthening the country and fostering development for decades to come.
- HK police's new natl security unit recruits elite officers Global Times 05 Jul 2020 -- The newly-established national security department of the Hong Kong Police Force (HKPF) is currently in the process of selecting and recruiting elite cross-function officers from the major criminal investigation departments in the Hong Kong Special Administration Region (HKSAR), which observers said marks the establishment of an "all-star" disciplinary team that would be made of officers that are born to crack down on cases that endanger national security.
- Politically agitative books by activists disappearing in HK Global Times 05 Jul 2020 -- Public libraries and bookstores in Hong Kong have started to remove and suspend books with politically agitative content written by some Hong Kong activists, after the National Security Law for Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) came into effect.
- Britain Poised to Ban Huawei VOA 05 Jul 2020 -- The British government is set to end the participation of Chinese telecom giant Huawei in the building of Britain's 5G phone network – a policy about-turn that will further deteriorate London's strained relations with Beijing, but will please Washington, according to British media reports.
- China launches satellite for space environment study PLA Daily 05 Jul 2020 -- China successfully sent a satellite for space environment study and related technology experiments into the planned orbit from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China on Sunday.
- Somaliland appoints first envoy to Taiwan CNA 05 Jul 2020 -- The self-declared African state of Somaliland has appointed senior diplomat Mohamed Omar Hagi Mohamoud as its first representative to Taiwan, according to a post on social media by Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) Saturday.
- Implementing Decision of 14th Enlarged Meeting of Political Bureau of 7th WPK Central Committee Called for KCNA 05 Jul 2020 -- Leading newspapers here on Sunday say the recent enlarged meeting of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) comes to be an important occasion to clearly show the revolutionary nature of the WPK which has adopted the people-first principle as its political doctrine and mode.
- Official: Iran to Build Bigger Building to Replace Damaged One at Natanz Uranium Enrichment Site Sputnik 05 Jul 2020 -- On 2 July, the Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran (AEOI) said there was an incident during construction work at the Natanz uranium enrichment plant in the central province of Isfahan, which damaged one of the awnings under construction.
- Natanz incident investigated by parliament's National Security Commission IRNA 05 Jul 2020 -- Rapporteur of the Iranian Parliament's National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Abolfazl Amouei said on Sunday that the dimensions of the Natanz incident and the report of the IAEA Board of Governors were discussed in the meeting in the presence of Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi.
- More advanced shed to replace damaged one at Natanz facility: AEOI spokesman Press TV 05 Jul 2020 -- The spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) says a new and more advanced shed will be built at Natanz nuclear facility to replace the one damaged in a recent incident.
- France reaffirms commitment to JCPOA IRNA 05 Jul 2020 -- French Foreign Ministry in a statement on Sunday reaffirmed commitment to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
- US trying to portray Iran as security threat to the world: Zarif ISNA 05 Jul 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif stressed that the United States is trying to portray Iran as a security threat to the world.
- Iran will stand up to IAEA's excessive demands: Parliament speaker Press TV 05 Jul 2020 -- Iran's Parliament speaker says the country will stand against excessive demands put forth by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and its Board of Governors, and will not allow the agency to act as it wills on the Iranian soil without limitation.
- Israeli foreign minister: Israel taking any action to stop 'Iranian nuclear threat' Press TV 05 Jul 2020 -- The Israeli foreign minister says the regime considers Iran's nuclear abilities as an "existential threat" to itself, noting that Tel Aviv is taking any action to stop what he called "Iranian nuclear threat."
- Iran lodges complaint against US at ICC over sanctions amid rise in COVID-19 infections Press TV 05 Jul 2020 -- Iran has filed a complaint at the International Court of Justice (ICC) against the United States regarding the impact of Washington's sanctions that have seriously hampered the country's efforts to curtail the coronavirus pandemic.
- FM Zarif: Iran's ditching of US dollar to ease sanctions pressure paying off Press TV 05 Jul 2020 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has underlined Iran's achievements in ditching the US dollar, citing the country's use of barter system to ease up pressure caused by the illegal US sanctions.
- Iran Lawmakers Call Zarif A 'Liar', Table Motion To Question Rouhani Radio Farda 05 Jul 2020 -- Iranian lawmakers continuously heckled Foreign Minister Javad Zarif at the Iranian Parliament on Sunday July 5 throughout his speech, which was interrupted several times.
- Iran Spending Hundreds Of Millions On Religious Shrines In Iraq And Syria Radio Farda 05 Jul 2020 -- The head of Iran's Holy Shrines' Reconstruction Headquarters, Mohammad Jalal Ma'ab, says, despite the coronavirus epidemic in Iraq, building the "Zaynab Courtyard" project in the city of Karbala "continued unabated".
- Iran's Rial Hits New Historic Low Against US Dollar, Other Currencies Radio Farda 05 Jul 2020 -- The Iranian currency rial fell to new lows against the U.S. dollar in trading on Sunday at Tehran's exchange market, going above the 220,000 rial to the dollar mark.
- Iran's Vice President Says US Failed to Stop Iranian Oil Exports Sputnik 05 Jul 2020 -- The United States has failed to stop the Iranian oil exports despite the intention to bring it to zero, First Vice President of Iran Eshaq Jahangiri said on Sunday.
- Iran's Top Security Official Says Killing Soleimani is US 'Biggest Gift' to Terrorism in Region Sputnik 05 Jul 2020 -- At the request of US President Donald Trump, the commander of the Quds Force of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), General Qasem Soleimani, was killed during a goodwill trip to Iraq in January in a targeted drone strike, alongside Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the deputy head of Iraq's Hashd al-Sha'abi militia.
- Ethiopia: At Least 150 Killed in Clashes Following Death of Outspoken Singer VOA 05 Jul 2020 -- At least 150 people have been killed in the Oromia region of Ethiopia as riots following the killing of a popular singer continue.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|