China says willing to avoid further clashes with India in border dispute
Iran Press TV
Wednesday, 17 June 2020 10:30 AM
China has reiterated its intention to avoid any further confrontation with India in a border dispute that has resulted in their first deadly clashes in almost five decades.
"We of course don't wish to see more clashes," Foreign Ministry Spokesman Zhao Lijian said at a regular press conference on Wednesday.
The incident that involved Chinese and Indian forces in Galwan Valley, Ladakh left multiple casualties.
India said at least 20 of its soldiers had been killed in a "violent face-off" between their troops on June 15-16.
The Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson added on Wednesday that both countries were making efforts to resolve the situation via dialog.
He insisted that China was not to be blamed for the incident, noting that the overall situation at the border was currently stable and under control.
Meanwhile, India published the names, ranks and hometowns of the 20 Indian Army personnel who lost their lives in Galwan Valley amid nationwide anti-China protests.
Protesters across the country chanted anti-China slogans and burned the Chinese flag.
However, Indian local media outlets reported that talks were being held between Indian and Chinese officials in Galwan valley to further deescalate the tensions.
The two Asian heavyweights have been in a long-time dispute over the "Line of Actual Control" frontier that divides their long joint border.
In 1962, the neighbors fought a brief war. Further deadly clashes followed in 1967, and another in 1975.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|