05 May 2020 Military News
- RAF bombs Iraq for second time in a month Press TV 05 May 2020 -- The Royal Air Force (RAF) has carried out a bombing raid in northern Iraq under the guise of combating the terrorist group Daesh.
- Taliban Urges Afghan Government To Speed Up Prisoner Release RFE/RL 05 May 2020 -- The Taliban has called on the Afghan government to speed up the release of prisoners in order to pave the way for negotiations with the militant movement.
- Afghan government releases over 100 Taliban prisoners Press TV 05 May 2020 -- The Afghan government has released 102 more imprisoned Taliban militants in accordance with a recent agreement between the US and the militant group.
- COVID-19 Not Affecting Afghan Border Fencing, Pakistan Army Says VOA 05 May 2020 -- Officials in Pakistan say a unilateral construction effort has erected a robust fence along "more than 70%" of the country's roughly 2,600-kilometer border with Afghanistan, and the coronavirus pandemic has not hampered the work.
- Wisconsin Guard conducts mobile testing around state Army News 05 May 2020 -- Eleven specimen collection teams from the Wisconsin National Guard are supporting state and local health departments to increase COVID-19 testing across Wisconsin.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pentagon Does Not Know Where COVID-19 Originated - Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff Sputnik 05 May 2020 -- The US Department of Defence "does not know" where the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) originated, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. Mark Milley, told reporters on Tuesday.
- Top US general: We don't know if coronavirus emerged from Chinese lab Press TV 05 May 2020 -- A top US general says it is still unknown whether the coronavirus emerged from a wet market in China, a laboratory or some other location, but reaffirmed the US view that it was probably not man-made.
- Defense Department Senior Leaders Brief Reporters on DOD Efforts Regarding COVID-19 DoD 05 May 2020 -- Secretary Of Defense Mark T. Esper; Joint Chiefs Of Staff Chairman General Mark Milley
- US Defense Chief Frets Economic Damage of COVID-19 Could Shrink Pentagon Budget Sputnik 05 May 2020 -- If a poor economy forces budget cuts in the near future, US Secretary of Defense Mark Esper has picked out "dozens" of legacy programs to trim instead of risking the Pentagon's sweeping modernization programs, he said on Monday.
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 05 May 2020
- "We Attack" battalion maintains combat proficiency during COVID-19 Army News 05 May 2020 -- With the mission of providing short-range air defense, 5th Battalion, 4th Air Defense Artillery Regiment (5-4 ADAR), 10th Army Air & Missile Defense Command, continues to train during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Readout of the Bilateral Engagement With His Excellency Imed Hazgui, Minister of Defense of the Republic of Tunisia DoD 05 May 2020
- DOD Remains Flexible, Agile in Face of Coronavirus DoD News 05 May 2020 -- As the coronavirus situation evolves, the Defense Department must remain agile, flexible and responsive, Defense Secretary Dr. Mark T. Esper said.
- DOD Focuses on Sustaining Industrial Base Through Pandemic DoD News 05 May 2020 -- The Defense Department is using an array of tools to ensure the defense industrial base stays afloat so it can provide critical materiel now and remain robust after COVID-19 has passed.
- Makin Island Escorts Kidd to San Diego NNS 05 May 2020 -- In support of the Navy's response to cases of COVID-19 onboard USS Kidd (DDG 100), USS Makin Island (LHD 8) escorted Kidd to San Diego to allow crew members to receive medical treatment.
- Polish medical team, Illinois Guard side-by-side in COVID-19 response US Air Force 05 May 2020 -- A nine-person Polish military medical team is assisting Illinois National Guard members with COVID-19 response efforts, sharing insights gained from dealing with the outbreak in Europe.
- NATO Secretary General speaks with Georgian President Salome Zourabishvili NATO 05 May 2020 -- Speaking with the Georgian President Salome Zourabishvili in a teleconference on 5 May 2020, the NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said that the COVID-19 pandemic represents an unprecedented challenge to NATO Allies and partners.
- NATO Secretary General discusses COVID-19 and disinformation with Lithuanian President NATO 05 May 2020 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg spoke with Lithuanian President Gitanas Nausėda on Tuesday (5 May 2020), as part of his regular political consultations.
- Coronavirus response: NATO supports practical scientific cooperation with Allies and partners to enhance COVID-19 diagnosis NATO 05 May 2020 -- NATO is launching a practical scientific project to develop new tools for a rapid and accurate diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection.
- China warned to prepare for armed confrontation with US over virus backlash Press TV 05 May 2020 -- An internal report has warned Chinese leaders of the possibility of a military confrontation with the United States as tensions grow with Washington over accusations that Beijing has mishandled the new coronavirus outbreak.
- Indian Navy launches Operation "Samudra Setu" India PIB 05 May 2020 -- Indian Navy has launched Operation "Samudra Setu" - meaning "Sea Bridge", as a part of national effort to repatriate Indian citizens from overseas. Indian Naval Ships Jalashwa and Magar are presently enroute to the port of Malè, Republic of Maldives to commence evacuation operations from 08 May 2020 as part of Phase-1.
- India to bring millions of stranded citizens home amid coronavirus pandemic Press TV 05 May 2020 -- India will deploy commercial jets, military transport planes and naval warships to bring back millions of citizens who were stranded when COVID-19-related travel restrictions were imposed by several countries worldwide.
- Indian gov't to facilitate return of nationals stranded abroad Global Times 05 May 2020 -- The Indian government announced it would initiate the process of bringing back citizens stranded abroad in the next two days in a phased manner, officials said Tuesday.
- India Sends Naval Ships, Aircraft to Conduct Massive COVID-19 Evacuation From Persian Gulf, Maldives Sputnik 05 May 2020 -- India has been working closely with the Gulf states to repatriate its thousands of migrant labourers stranded abroad amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- India's Combat Capabilities Hit as Deliveries of Defence Equipment Including Rafale Jet Deferred Sputnik 05 May 2020 -- Despite intense fighting along its western border, India's modernisation programme will take a major hit this year due to delivery delays and a lack of funds. Defence sources confirmed that most of the contracted weapon systems won't arrive on schedule as production is halted due to lockdowns in several countries.
- Iraq will purchase Russian missile system if US does not provide modern armaments: Lawmaker Press TV 05 May 2020 -- A senior Iraqi lawmaker says his country will buy long-range surface-to-air S-300 or S-400 air defense missile systems from Russia in a bid to update its own defense infrastructure in case Washington does not help Baghdad in getting modern armaments.
- Remarks by President Trump Before Marine One Departure The White House 05 May 2020
- Remarks by President Trump Before Air Force One Departure The White House 05 May 2020
- Contracts For May 5, 2020
- Boeing Rolls Out First Loyal Wingman Unmanned Aircraft Boeing 05 May 2020 -- A Boeing [NYSE:BA]-led Australian industry team has presented the first unmanned Loyal Wingman aircraft to the Royal Australian Air Force, a historic milestone for the company and the Commonwealth.
- Boeing Unveils First AI Drone Designed for Australian Air Force Sputnik 05 May 2020 -- The Boeing aircraft manufacturer has presented the first three prototypes of an unmanned attack drone that is powered by artificial intelligence for the Royal Australian Air Force, the company's Australian branch announced in a press release on Tuesday.
- 5 May 2020 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 05 May 2020
- China Coast Guard Increases Presence at Scarborough Shoal Radio Free Asia 05 May 2020 -- The China Coast Guard deployed three ships to the Scarborough Shoal on Tuesday, days after China announced a ban on fishing there and at other disputed parts of the South China Sea, ship-tracking software shows.
- China conducts naval drills in S.China Sea, prepares for post-pandemic US military provocations Global Times 05 May 2020 -- With an ace pilot of an aircraft carrier-based fighter jet flying above, warships sailing below and anti-submarine aircraft conducting surveillance in the South China Sea, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) is ready to defend against any US military provocation, even if the US resumes use of its aircraft carriers that are affected by COVID-19, analysts said on Tuesday.
- The Joint Forces Command of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen: The terrorist Houthi militia has launched today (Tuesday) two ballistic missiles from (Sana'a) governorate using civilian objects as launching sites as missiles fell short in (Amran) and (Sadah) governorates SPA 05 May 2020 -- A statement by the Official Spokesman of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen COL Turki Al-Malki:
- Daesh used gorge near ex-bastion in Syria to dump corpses: HRW Press TV 05 May 2020 -- Human Rights Watch (HRW) says the Daesh terror group used a gorge in Syria's northern city of Raqqah – the Takfiri outfit's former stronghold in the country – as a dumping ground and mass grave for bodies of the people it had abducted and killed.
- Iranian, Iraqi Fighters Reported Killed In Israeli Air Strikes In Syria RFE/RL 05 May 2020 -- Israeli air strikes in eastern Syria have killed 14 Iranian and Iraqi fighters, a group monitoring the Syrian war says.
- Iraq mounts counter-terrorism operations amid warnings of US-Daesh plot to split region Press TV 05 May 2020 -- Iraqi army troops and allied fighters from Popular Mobilization Forces – known as Hashd al-Sha'abi – have conducted fresh operations against Daesh militants amid warnings of collaboration between the United States and remnants of the Takfiri terror outfit in the country.
- Iran's IRGC forces kill several terrorists in western Kordestan province Press TV 05 May 2020 -- A number of terrorists have been killed as forces with Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) carried out a security operation in the western province of Kordestan, which borders Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Libyan government forces launch offensive to liberate key airbase from Haftar rebels Press TV 05 May 2020 -- Forces with Libya's internationally-recognized government have reportedly launched an offensive to liberate a key airbase southwest of the capital Tripoli from the clutches of rebel forces loyal to renegade General Khalifa Haftar.
- Attacks on civilians, arbitrary arrests, top list of abuses in Libya: ICC Prosecutor UN News 05 May 2020 -- Unabated violence, particularly in and around the Libyan capital, has now been raging for more than a year, the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) told the Security Council in a virtual briefing on Tuesday, warning that war crimes may have been committed.
- Palestine to cancel all Israel, US deals if annexation plot goes ahead: Abbas Press TV 05 May 2020 -- President Mahmoud Abbas says Palestine will nullify all agreements with the United States and Israel if Tel Aviv annexes any part of the occupied West Bank, urging the international community to block attempts by the regime to exploit the coronavirus outbreak and steal more Palestinian land.
- Pakistan Summons Indian Diplomat to Register Strong Protest Over Cross Border Fire Sputnik 05 May 2020 -- New Delhi (Sputnik): India and Pakistan both control parts of Kashmir while claiming it in full. The recent escalations at the border began after India revoked the special status of the region in August 2019.
- Three Indian Soldiers Killed In Renewed Fighting In Disputed Kashmir RFE/RL 05 May 2020 -- Three Indian soldiers were killed in clashes with militants in the disputed Himalayan region of Kashmir, officials said, a day after a gunbattle in which five were killed.
- 3 Indian Soldiers Killed in Renewed Kashmir Clashes VOA 05 May 2020 -- Three Indian soldiers were killed in clashes with militants in the disputed Himalayan region of Kashmir, officials said, a day after a gun battle in which five were killed.
- Kyrgyz Border Guard Service Says Renewed Clashes Prevented Near Uzbek Exclave RFE/RL 05 May 2020 -- Kyrgyz border authorities say they have prevented a renewed outbreak of clashes near an Uzbek exclave inside Kyrgyz territory.
- Greek Forces on Alert Following 'Provocations' from Turkey VOA 05 May 2020 -- Greece has lodged a stiff demarche with Turkey claiming Turkish officials ordered fighter jets to buzz a military helicopter carrying Greece's defense minister over the Aegean sea. Turkey denies the accusation, saying Greece – in the words of Turkish officials – is over dramatizing what Ankara says are routine flights in the region.
- Trump Nominee to Lead US Intelligence Promises 'Unvarnished Truth' VOA 05 May 2020 -- More than eight months after he was first tapped to lead U.S. intelligence efforts, Congressman John Ratcliffe repeatedly pledged to skeptical lawmakers that he would abandon partisan politics and provide the president and top policymakers the "unvarnished truth," no matter what they wanted to hear.
- Venezuela's President Says 2 Americans Among Those Captured in Failed Invasion VOA 05 May 2020 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said two Americans were among so-called "mercenary terrorists" who carried out a failed armed invasion of his country earlier this week.
- Defense Secretary Esper: US 'Had Nothing to Do' With Attempted Raid in Venezuela Sputnik 05 May 2020 -- Following an attempted coastal assault on western Venezuela by mercenaries attacking from neighboring Colombia over the weekend, US Secretary of Defense Mark Esper told reporters at the Pentagon on Tuesday, "The United States government had nothing to do with what's happened in Venezuela in the last few days."
- Venezuela arrests 2 US citizens linked to incursion attempt Press TV 05 May 2020 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro says two US citizens working with an American military veteran who has claimed responsibility for a recent marine incursion attempt into Venezuela have been arrested.
- Venezuela Govt Captures 'New Group of Mercenaries', Alleged 'Terrorist Operation' Leader Sputnik 05 May 2020 -- Earlier on Sunday, the government of Venezuela reported that security forces had killed eight and captured two people described as "Colombian mercenaries" illegally entering the country on speed boats in an "attempt for a coup".
- Facebook Removes Hundreds Of Disinformation Accounts Linked To Russia, Iran, Georgia RFE/RL 05 May 2020 -- Facebook has removed hundreds of social-media accounts - more than half of them based in Russia, Iran, and Georgia - after finding they belonged to networks that were running influence campaigns.
- Hong Kong Coalition launched to uphold 'one country, two systems' Global Times 05 May 2020 -- The launch ceremony of the Hong Kong Coalition took place on Tuesday in Hong Kong. In a joint declaration, the coalition called for adherence to the "one country, two systems" principle and noted that only by upholding it can the city have value of existence and space for development.
- HKSAR chief executive vows more measures to prop up economy in Hong Kong Global Times 05 May 2020 -- Chief Executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam said Tuesday that the HKSAR government will roll out more measures to prop up economy.
- Hong Kong Court Issues Travel Ban to Pro-Democracy Media Tycoon Radio Free Asia 05 May 2020 -- A Hong Kong court on Tuesday slapped a travel ban on pro-democracy media tycoon Jimmy Lai, who is awaiting trial on charges of taking part in an "illegal assembly" during last year's protests, as well as allegations of "intimidation."
- Sinopec reports hefty losses for Q1 Global Times 05 May 2020 -- China Petrochemical Corporation (Sinopec), China's largest oil refiner, reported a loss of 19.78 billion yuan (about 2.83 billion U.S. dollars) in the first quarter of the year.
- Chinese State Media, Scholars Snub Trump Threats of New Tariffs VOA 05 May 2020 -- State media and scholars in China Monday snubbed U.S. President Donald Trump after he said he would resume hiked tariffs on Chinese imports if it fails to buy an additional $200 billion more of American goods and services in the next two years as pledged.
- The Long March-5B completes a successful maiden flight, officially kicking off China's space station construction Global Times 05 May 2020 -- China's latest state-of-the-art carrier rocket, the Long March-5B, made a successful maiden flight on Tuesday, during which the new rocket managed to send the assembly of a trial version of the country's new-generation manned spaceship with no crew and a testing cargo-returning spacecraft into planned orbit. The successful launch signaled that a new era of the construction of China's manned space projects including space stations has been officially ushered in, according to rocket developer and space industry insiders.
- Long March-5B a successful comeback after two failed space launch missions: China's Manned Space Agency Global Times 05 May 2020 -- Tuesday's successful debut flight of the Long March-5B, which came after the previous consecutive launch failures in March and April, declares a huge comeback for China's space program, pumping confidence into the country's future space missions, according to Ji Qiming, an official with China's Manned Space Agency (CMSA) on Tuesday.
- Long March 5B launch marks new stage in China's manned space program PLA Daily 05 May 2020 -- China's Long March 5B carrier rocket made its debut flight from the Wenchang Space Launch Center in Hainan province on Tuesday evening, with the China Manned Space Agency saying it marked a new chapter in the country's manned space program.
- China to conduct the debut flight of Long March 5B carrier rocket PLA Daily 05 May 2020 -- China will conduct the debut flight of its Long March 5B carrier rocket at 6 pm on Tuesday at the Wenchang Space Launch Center in South China's Hainan province, according to the China Manned Space Agency.
- Taiwan accuses WHO of being 'irresponsible' on Taiwan issue CNA 05 May 2020 -- Taiwan's health minister on Tuesday accused the World Health Organization (WHO) of being "irresponsible" in the face of requests from some of its members and Taipei to allow Taiwan to attend this year's World Health Assembly (WHA).
- Two WHO members propose to discuss Taiwan WHA participation: WHO CNA 05 May 2020 -- Two World Health Organization (WHO) members have proposed to discuss Taiwan's participation in this year's World Health Assembly (WHA), a WHO officer said Monday, though he did not specify which two members they were.
- US bid to bring Taiwan to WHO table 'will backfire' Global Times 05 May 2020 -- Trying desperately to distract public attention from its botched coronavirus response, Washington is excessively provoking China on the Taiwan question by helping the island's separatist authority to attend the World Health Assembly (WHA). But analysts said the attempt could backfire and Washington's tricks to pick a diplomatic fight could irresponsibly paralyze WHO in the pandemic.
- WHO reiterates PRC's status as only one legitimate representative of China within UN system People's Daily 05 May 2020 -- The People's Republic of China (PRC) is the only one legitimate representative of China within the UN system, an official from the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday.
- North Korea Targets Leaks After Media Frenzy Sparked by Kim Jong Un's Absence Radio Free Asia 05 May 2020 -- In the wake of a global media frenzy over Kim Jong Un's health during his recent three-week absence from public view, North Korea has identified "neglect in the day-to-day management" of his public appearances, and ordered tighter secrecy and stern punishments for information leaks, sources within the country told RFA.
- Zarif advises Pompeo to read UNSCR 2231 IRNA 05 May 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in a message said Iran nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) is part of UNSCR 2231 and advised US secretary of state to read the resolution.
- US must remove sanctions if it truly seeks to help Iran in virus fight: Rouhani Press TV 05 May 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani has lashed out at the United States for intensifying its illegal sanctions against the Iranian nation at a time when the country is fighting a deadly coronavirus outbreak, saying Washington should first lift the bans to prove its sincerity in offering help to the Islamic Republic in the battle.
- US forfeited any right to seek renewal of UN arms embargo on Iran: European diplomats Press TV 05 May 2020 -- European diplomats say by withdrawing from a nuclear agreement with Iran, the US forfeited any right to demand an extension to a United Nations arms embargo against the Islamic Republic that the deal has mandated to expire later this year.
- A Large Majority Of US House Members Call For Extension Of Iran Arms Embargo Radio Farda 05 May 2020 -- A large majority of U.S. legislators on both sides of the aisle called on President Donald Trump's administration on Monday, May 4, to push for an extension of a United Nations arms embargo on Iran.
- Iran's Trade Balance With Asian Partners Negative For First Time Radio Farda 05 May 2020 -- Official data published by Turkey and Iran's other Asian economic partners indicate that trade between Iran and these countries dropped significantly in the first quarter of 2020 with the balance going into negative for Iran for the first time in recent history.
- Political Factions In Iran Split And Rebrand Ahead Of 2021 Presidential Elections Radio Farda 05 May 2020 -- No matter how popular it was with the Iranian and Western media, the categorization of the two leading political factions in Iran as Reformists and Conservatives has become obsolete for a long time now.
- Lukashenka Wants World Leaders To Mark Victory Day In Minsk Amid Coronavirus RFE/RL 05 May 2020 -- Despite the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has called on leaders of other countries to attend next week's military parade in Minsk marking the 75th anniversary of the victory over Nazi Germany.
- Fate of Israel's scandal-hit PM at stake as coalition deal faces legal challenge Press TV 05 May 2020 -- The stakes are high for Israel's embattled Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as a Supreme Court ruling is expected later this week on the question of whether he is legally qualified to form a cabinet under a coalition deal with his main rival while facing criminal indictments.
- Cambodia's Hun Sen and CNRP Chief Kem Sokha Meet After Funeral Radio Free Asia 05 May 2020 -- Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen met with opposition leader Kem Sokha on Tuesday after the former head of the banned party, now on trial for treason, sent condolences over the death of Hun Sen's mother-in-law and attended her funeral, media sources said.
- Myanmar Political Parties Want Say on 2020 Election Timing Amid Coronavirus Fight Radio Free Asia 05 May 2020 -- Political parties in Myanmar have urged the Union Election Commission to consult them on whether to postpone the country's 2020 general election due to the coronavirus pandemic, party officials said Tuesday.
- Hungary's Orban Rejects Accusations Of Authoritarianism As 'Fake News' RFE/RL 05 May 2020 -- Prime Minister Viktor Orban has accused his political opponents and Hungary's allies alike of "spreading fake news" about the EU member's coronavirus law that allows his government to rule by decree for an unlimited period.
- European Court Condemns Romania For Dismissing Top Anti-Graft Prosecutor RFE/RL 05 May 2020 -- Romania's former top anti-corruption official has won a landmark victory at the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), which ruled that her dismissal in 2018 violated her human rights.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|