25 April 2020 Military News
- Official: Recent Taliban Violence Harms Hundreds of Afghan Civilians VOA 25 Apr 2020 -- Officials in Afghanistan alleged Saturday the Taliban has "killed or wounded" nearly 800 civilians since signing the February 29 peace-building deal with the United States. A spokesman for the Islamist insurgency swiftly rejected the charges.
- La. Guard supports tornado, COVID-19 response in Ouachita Army News 25 Apr 2020 -- Soldiers with the Louisiana National Guard's 527th and 528th Engineer Battalions, 225th Engineer Brigade, are supporting dual missions of COVID-19 response efforts in Monroe and clearing debris in the wake of several tornadoes in northeast Louisiana.
- Connecticut Guard provides mobile COVID-19 testing lab Army News 25 Apr 2020 -- The Connecticut National Guard has turned a vehicle designed to test for environmental chemical, biological, and radiological contamination into a mobile clinical laboratory to expand the Connecticut Department of Public Health's COVID-19 testing capacity.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Florida Guard signal Soldiers press on during pandemic Army News 25 Apr 2020 -- For more than a year, the Soldiers of the 146th Expeditionary Signal Battalion (ESB) have been preparing for their first overseas deployment since 2009. Their mission is to provide a wide range of tactical and strategic signal support across multiple countries in U.S. Central Command's (CENTCOM) Area of Responsibility, which will enable the CENTCOM commander to conduct countless critical overseas missions.
- US Next Generation Missile Interceptor Programme Officially Launched Sputnik 25 Apr 2020 -- The US Missile Defense Agency (MDA) has been extolling plans for a next-generation interceptor for the Ground-Based Midcourse Defense (GMD) systems, with the Undersecretary of Defense for Research and Engineering Mike Griffin pulling the plug on its updated Redesigned Kill Vehicle (RKV) last year, citing "technical design problems".
- Moscow Calls US Attempts to Cast Doubt on Russian Nuclear Standards Unacceptable Sputnik 25 Apr 2020 -- oscow will study the new US energy strategy, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov said on Saturday, adding that so far it was obvious that Washington was trying to revive the national uranium industry, while attempts to cast doubt on Russia's high standards in the nuclear field were unacceptable.
- 92nd joint patrol on Mekong River completed PLA Daily 25 Apr 2020 -- The 92nd Mekong River joint patrol by China, Laos, Myanmar and Thailand concluded Friday as three Chinese law enforcement boats returned to Guanlei Port in the southwest Province of Yunnan.
- U.S. Calls On EU To Put Sanctions On Iranians Developing Missile Program RFE/RL 25 Apr 2020 -- The United States has called on the European Union to place sanctions on individuals and entities working on Iran's missile programs after Tehran said it successfully launched a military satellite.
- Pakistan Navy successfully test fires anti-ship missiles IRNA 25 Apr 2020 -- Pakistan Navy has successfully test fired anti-ship missiles in the north of Arabian Sea on Saturday.
- Pakistan Navy Carries Out Live Weapon Firing With Series of Potent Ship Killers - Video Sputnik 25 Apr 2020 -- India and Pakistan have been engaged in intense cross-border firefights over the past month, in which dozens of people have been injured and at least half a dozen civilians from both sides were killed. On Friday, both countries asked their military to remain on alert regarding the situation along their shared border.
- Rouhani hails launch of satellite 'Noor' as valuable, national success IRNA 25 Apr 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani congratulated the national and valuable success of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps' (IRGC) young experts in launching satellite 'Noor' into orbit, saying that the achievement boasts of double value amid coronavirus spread and public concern.
- Iran Lying About Peacefulness Of Space Program, Pompeo Says Radio Farda 25 Apr 2020 -- In a tweet on April 25, the U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Iran continues to lie that the Revolutionary Guard's space program is peaceful when in reality it is part of the country's nuclear weapons program.
- Iran's Space Program is Dangerous, Not Peaceful US Dept. of State 25 Apr 2020 -- For years, Iran has claimed its space program is purely peaceful and civilian. The Trump Administration has never believed this fiction. This week's launch of a military satellite by Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, a designated Foreign Terrorist Organization, makes clear what we have said all along: Iran's space program is neither peaceful nor entirely civilian.
- Embraer says that Boeing wrongfully terminated the Master Transaction Agreement Embraer 25 Apr 2020 -- Embraer announced today that it is in receipt of Boeing's notice of termination of the Master Transaction Agreement (MTA) with Embraer.
- Boeing Terminates Agreement to Establish Joint Ventures with Embraer Boeing 25 Apr 2020 -- Boeing (NYSE: BA) announced today that it has terminated its Master Transaction Agreement (MTA) with Embraer, under which the two companies sought to establish a new level of strategic partnership. The parties had planned to create a joint venture comprising Embraer's commercial aviation business and a second joint venture to develop new markets for the C-390 Millennium medium airlift and air mobility aircraft.
- Taiwan calls for restraint in South China Sea CNA 25 Apr 2020 -- Taiwan's government has reasserted its sovereignty over the South China Sea and called on all claimants of the disputed waters to exercise restraint amid rising tensions.
- Yemen expects actions from Saudi-led coalition regarding unilateral truce: Houthi Press TV 25 Apr 2020 -- The chairman of the Supreme Revolutionary Committee of Yemen, Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, has dismissed the Saudi-led coalition's extention of a unilateral ceasefire in the war-ravaged Arab country by one month, saying Yemenis are expecting serious actions rather than words, which are simply media maneuver.
- OIC Welcomes Coalition to Support Legitimacy in Yemen Declaration, to Extend Cease Fire SPA 25 Apr 2020 -- The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) welcomed declaration of the Coalition to Support legitimacy in Yemen, to extend the cease fire, for one month, beginning from Thursday April 23, 2020, based on the request of the UN Secretary General Special Envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths.
- Nearly 10,000 Syria militants recruited by Turkey so far to fight in Libya; over 220 killed in action: SOHR Press TV 25 Apr 2020 -- Turkey has recruited nearly 10,000 allied Takfiri militants to fight in Libya and has sent more than half of them from Syria to the North African country, a war monitor says.
- Daesh member goes on trial in Germany for genocide of Izadis, war crimes Press TV 25 Apr 2020 -- A man believed to have been a member of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has gone on trial in Germany for crimes against the Izadi minority group, as well as killing a five-year-old girl.
- Haftar's Army Accuses GNA of Shelling Civilians Outside Tripoli as EU Renews Call for Ceasefire Sputnik 25 Apr 2020 -- It's been over a year since the Tobruk government-backed forces of the Libyan National Army (LNA) led by Marshal Khalifa Haftar began their offensive on the Government of National Accord (GNA) capital, with the civil war entering a new phase in January when Turkey sent troops to the country to shore up the GNA's defence of Tripoli.
- HRW Urges Bangladesh to Take In Rohingyas Stranded at Sea VOA 25 Apr 2020 -- Human Rights Watch has urged Bangladesh to "immediately allow" two boats with Rohingya refugees "to come ashore and receive necessary food, water and health care."
- Israeli settlers attacks against Palestinians rise 'noticeably,' rights group says Press TV 25 Apr 2020 -- Israeli settlers have noticeably escalated attacks against Palestinians in the occupied West Bank in April despite restriction of movement and lockdowns due to the COVID-19 pandemic, a rights group says.
- Nineteen Killed in Militia Attack on Village in DRC - Reports Sputnik 25 Apr 2020 -- Nineteen people have been killed in a militia attack on a village in the northeastern province of Ituri in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, actualite.cd reported, citing a representative of a local civilian community.
- Xi: Build 'great space power' PLA Daily 25 Apr 2020 -- President Xi Jinping extended greetings to elder scientists who participated in the country's first satellite program 50 years ago and said he expected space industry workers to learn from their predecessors' spirit and strive to build the nation into a stronger space power.
- Xi leads China's search for safest path to growth amid COVID-19 control People's Daily 25 Apr 2020 -- At a time when the world economy is plagued by the coronavirus pandemic, policymakers across the globe are faced with the same dilemma: how to get the economy back on track amid containment of the virus?
- US seeking coronaviorus compensation political farce: China Press TV 25 Apr 2020 -- China says US accusations that Beijing mishandled the coronavirus outbreak have "no factual and legal basis", adding that seeking compensation for damages caused by the deadly virus is nothing but a political farce.
- Photos Show Train at N. Korean Leader's Compound in Resort Town VOA 25 Apr 2020 -- Satellite photos show a train believed to belong to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at his compound at a resort town in the country's east, amid rumors about the leader's health.
- China sent medical team to advise on North Korea's Kim: Reuters Press TV 25 Apr 2020 -- China has sent a team of medical experts to North Korea to advise on the country's leader Kim Jong-un amid conflicting reports about his health, Reuters reports.
- US opposition to IMF loan to Iran violates global right to health norm: Shamkhani Press TV 25 Apr 2020 -- A high-ranking Iranian official says the United States' blocking of Iran's request for a loan from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to help the country fight the deadly novel coronavirus pandemic violates the rule governing right to health.
- President Rouhani: Iran closely watching US moves Press TV 25 Apr 2020 -- Iran's president has told the Qatari emir that Tehran won't initiate any conflict in the region despite the US provocative moves.
- Rohani Tells Iran's Military To Remain Vigilant After Threats Exchanged With U.S. RFE/RL 25 Apr 2020 -- President Hassan Rohani has called on Iran's armed forces to seek regional stability while maintaining vigilance against "provocations."
- Iran 'Watching' US Activities but Will 'Never' Start Conflict, President Rouhani Says Sputnik 25 Apr 2020 -- The development comes as Iran finds itself battling on two fronts: firstly against the coronavirus crisis, that has so far infected over 88,000 Iranians and killed 5,574, and secondly against an increasingly assertive American presence in the Persian Gulf.
- Ayatollah Khamenei calls on Iranian people not to be afraid of US, bullying powers Press TV 25 Apr 2020 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has calls on the Iranian people not to be afraid of the United States and other bullying powers.
- Former Iranian Diplomat Condemns Military Ambitions, Suggests Reconciliation With US Radio Farda 25 Apr 2020 -- A former Iranian deputy foreign minister has questioned Iran's military ambitions in a clear reference to Revolutionary Guard commanders' claims about the Iranian armed force's deterrent power following the launch of a military satellite last week.
- Virus slump to slash Iran petchem revenues by nearly a third: Report Press TV 25 Apr 2020 -- A report by the Iranian parliament says that government revenues from exports of petrochemical products could decrease by around a third as a result of a coronavirus pandemic that has badly hit the demand side in the international markets.
- Iraq Has To Import Gas And Electricity From Iran For Years, Says Minister Radio Farda 25 Apr 2020 -- With just two days remaining to the expiration of a thirty-day U.S. waiver to import Iranian gas and electricity, the Iraqi Minister of Electricity says it will take three to four years for the country to stop importing energy from Iran.
- Saudi Arabia To End Flogging As Punishment, Document Reveals Radio Farda 25 Apr 2020 -- Saudi Arabia appears to be ending flogging as a form of punishment, according to a document from the kingdom's top court seen by Reuters on Friday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|