11 April 2020 Military News
- US military brings in 35 trucks to oil-rich northeastern Syria: SANA Press TV 11 Apr 2020 -- The United States has dispatched truckloads of military and logistical equipment to Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah as Washington and some of its regional allies keep vying with one another to seize oil reserves and plunder natural resources in the war-battered country, Syrian media say.
- US keeps forces in Iraq, puts missile systems into operation Press TV 11 Apr 2020 -- US officials say hundreds of their troops will remain in Iraq, noting that missile systems are now operating in the bases hosting the occupation forces.
- US Troops Hunker Down in Iraq, Deploy Patriots at Bases Struck by Iranian Missiles Sputnik 11 Apr 2020 -- Washington's assassination of a senior Iranian commander in Baghdad in January prompted Iraqi authorities to demand the immediate remove of US forces from the country. America has gradually reducing its troop presence in the Middle Eastern nation in recent months, but has dragged its feet on making any commitment to complete withdrawal.
- Airstrike in Southern Afghanistan Kills Three Taliban Militants Sputnik 11 Apr 2020 -- Three Taliban militants have been killed and four more suffered injuries after an airstrike in the southern Afghan province of Zabul, the country's military said in a statement on Saturday.
- US, Taliban Discuss Ways to Reduce Afghan Violence VOA 11 Apr 2020 -- The commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan has met with leaders of the Taliban insurgency under their bilateral peace-building agreement to discuss ways to reduce violence in the war-torn country, both sides said Saturday.
- U.S. General Meets With Afghan Taliban Officials To Discuss 'Need To Reduce Violence' RFE/RL 11 Apr 2020 -- The top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, Austin Miller, has met with representatives of the Taliban's political office in Doha to discuss the reduction of violence, officials said.
- Kabul Refuses To Send Captured IS Leader To Pakistan RFE/RL 11 Apr 2020 -- Afghanistan's government says it will not hand over a captured Islamic State (IS) militant leader to Pakistan because there is no formal extradition treaty between Kabul and Islamabad.
- Army deploys medical task forces to help hard-hit communities Army News 11 Apr 2020 -- The Army has mobilized eight Urban Augmentation Medical Task Forces to the New York area to support the coronavirus relief efforts and curb the spread of disease, senior Army leaders said Friday. Four task forces are helping in New York City, three are going to hospitals in New Jersey and another to Connecticut.
Defense Policy / Programs
- First DOD Defense Production Act Title 3 COVID-19 Project DoD 11 Apr 2020
- US Reportedly Modernized Nuclear Weapon in Germany in Secret Operation in 2019 Sputnik 11 Apr 2020 -- In 2010, the Bundestag voted to remove US nuclear bombs from Germany. In 2017, the German government's deputy spokeswoman, Ulrike Demmer, advocated nuclear weapons on the country's territory, saying that there "remains a need for nuclear deterrence".
- U.S. military assets seen near Taiwan Friday, Saturday CNA 11 Apr 2020 -- An American guided missile warship and two reconnaissance military aircraft have been operating near Taiwan over the past two days, after Chinese warplanes showed up in the area, Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense (MND) confirmed Saturday.
- Coronavirus response: NATO Support and Procurement Agency assists Italy, Spain and Norway NATO 11 Apr 2020 -- The NATO Support and Procurement Agency (NSPA) continues to play an important role in response to the COVID-19 global pandemic, by assisting NATO Allies and partners with key relief acquisition and transport. NSPA has recently delivered to Italy the first two of sixteen acquired Intensive Care Units ventilators. It has also delivered the first batch of personal protective equipment to Spain and various medical supplies to Norway, including masks, gloves, goggles and other protective medical equipment.
- China's New Type 075 Amphibious Assault Ship Catches Fire Sputnik 11 Apr 2020 -- The People's Liberation Army's second Navy Type 075 amphibious assault ship was wrapping up construction amid speculation that it could soon be launched.
- Yemeni forces repel several Saudi attacks days after 'truce' Press TV 11 Apr 2020 -- Days after the so-called Saudi-led coalition claimed to have halted its aggression in Yemen due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Yemeni Army has announced that it repelled several Saudi assaults on various fronts in just one day.
- Pakistan Says 7 Militants, 2 Soldiers Killed Near Afghan Border RFE/RL 11 Apr 2020 -- Pakistan's military says government troops raided a militant hideout in a former Taliban stronghold near Afghanistan on April 10, triggering a shootout in which seven militants and two soldiers were killed.
- US Now World Leader in Coronavirus Deaths VOA 11 Apr 2020 -- The United States became the world leader in coronavirus deaths Saturday, a grim indicator of the country's status as the global epicenter of the pandemic.
- Taiwan reveals email, blasts WHO for possible 'dereliction of duty' CNA 11 Apr 2020 -- Following the World Health Organization's (WHO's) rejection of Taiwan's claims that it had warned the global health body that the novel coronavirus may be transmitted from human to human, Taiwan's government on Saturday revealed the contents of the disputed Dec. 31 email, blasting the WHO for possible "dereliction of duty."
- China refutes U.S. comments on WHO, Taiwan as "fact-distorting" People's Daily 11 Apr 2020 -- A Chinese spokesman on Friday said a U.S. official's "fact-distorting" comments concerning the World Health Organization (WHO) and Taiwan were politically motivated to shift the blame and will only damage the credibility, image and interests of the United States.
- Iraq's PM-designate Scrambles to Assemble Cabinet VOA 11 Apr 2020 -- Iraq's Prime Minister-designate Mustafa Kadhimi met with top members of the outgoing government Saturday to try to put together a new cabinet quickly, amid a rare level of support from the country's political establishment at a time of serious internal and external crises.
- Iraq's new choice for Prime Minister suggests defeat of US pressure Press TV 11 Apr 2020 -- Iraq has designated a new Prime Minister that, contrary to his two predecessors, apparently enjoys inclusive support from the various political blocs in a development that suggests the defeat of the United States' attempts at forcing its choice on the Arab nation.
- Oil Anger: US Senators Threaten Saudi Arabia With Diplomatic Retaliation Amid Price War – Report Sputnik 11 Apr 2020 -- Saudi Arabia, a major strategic ally of the US, has been at the centre of an oil output cut dispute with Russia that unleashed a price war and sent already-volatile crude prices to their 18-year lows.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|