02 March 2020 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Starts Afghan Withdraw Amid Mixed Messages VOA 02 Mar 2020 -- Defense Secretary Mark Esper says the United States will begin a partial withdrawal down to 8,600 U.S. troops in Afghanistan in the coming days, as the Taliban and the U.S. issued conflicting messages about future violence in the war-torn nation.
- US-Taliban Afghan Peace Deal Suffers Early Blows VOA 02 Mar 2020 -- The Afghan Taliban on Monday urged the United States to fulfill its obligations under a newly-signed agreement and secure the release of 5,000 insurgent prisoners from the custody of the Afghan government.
- Taliban Agreement Is Afghanistan's Best Chance for Peace, Esper Says DoD News 02 Mar 2020 -- The joint declaration between the United States and the Afghan government is the best chance to bring peace to Afghanistan and return U.S. service members home, Defense Secretary Dr. Mark T. Esper said during a news conference today.
- Iran: Deal with Taliban serves 'illegitimate' US goals Press TV 02 Mar 2020 -- Iran says a recent deal between the United States and the Taliban does not reflect Washington's respect for Afghanistan's sovereignty, noting that any such agreement has to be an inclusive one that brings all Afghan sides together.
- Afghan Taliban Ends Partial Truce As Deadly Bombing Hits Near Soccer Ground RFE/RL 02 Mar 2020 -- The Taliban have announced an end to a partial truce in the country as a deadly bomb blast near a soccer field shattered days of relative calm.
- Federal Government of Somalia, AFRICOM target al-Shabaab AFRICOM 02 Mar 2020 -- In coordination with the Federal Government of Somalia, U.S. Africa Command conducted two (2) airstrikes targeting al-Shabaab terrorists in the vicinity of Qunyo Barrow, Somalia, Mar. 2.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DOD Makes Plans to Combat Coronavirus DoD News 02 Mar 2020 -- The Defense Department is making plans to combat the coronavirus, DOD leaders said today during a news conference.
- U.S., French Navies Conduct Dual-Carrier Ops in Mediterranean NNS 02 Mar 2020 -- The Dwight D. Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group (CSG) began dual-carrier flight operations with French aircraft carrier FS Charles de Gaulle (R91) in the Mediterranean Sea March 2.
- Cobra Gold: Partner nations practice noncombatant evacuation operations Army News 02 Mar 2020 -- Civilians stream through the gates into view of Department of State personnel and military service members welcoming them with clear directions. A military working dog sniffs for hazardous materials, and a bilateral chemical response team stands by to decontaminate evacuees.
- DEFENDER-Europe 20 first APS draw Army News 02 Mar 2020 -- In support of DEFENDER-Europe 20, the 405th Army Field Support Battalion-Benelux issued Army Prepositioned Stocks 2 to the 553rd Combat Sustainment Support Battalion in Zutendaal, Belgium, from Feb. 25-27, 2020.
- Readout of Deputy Secretary of Defense David L. Norquist's Meeting With Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic DoD 02 Mar 2020
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Secretary Esper and General Milley in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 02 Mar 2020 -- Secretary Of Defense Mark T. Esper; Joint Chiefs Of Staff Chairman General Mark Milley
- USS San Antonio Begins First Underway in Three Years NNS 02 Mar 2020 -- San Antonio class amphibious transport dock USS San Antonio (LPD 17) began Sea Trials February 29. This is the ship's first underway following a three-year Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) maintenance availability.
- Marines and 7th Fleet Join to Discuss Naval Integration NNS 02 Mar 2020 -- Leaders and staff from U.S. 7th Fleet and III Marine Expeditionary Force (MEF) met at sea to discuss naval integration aboard 7th Fleet flagship USS Blue Ridge (LCC 19).
- Multinational medics, civilian first responders 'save lives' at exercise Cope North 2020 US Air Force 02 Mar 2020 -- When lives are on the line, there is no margin for error–and for a group of multinational medics and first responders, their razor-thin lifesaving operations were put to the test during a Cope North 2020 joint, mass casualty field training exercise on the islands of Rota and Guam, Feb. 20.
- Air Force trains with joint, combined forces in rapid airfield damage repair US Air Force 02 Mar 2020 -- "Practice makes perfect." It's the term that is used by many of the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Airmen when describing their rapid airfield damage repair, or RADR training.
- Joint Cambodia-China 'Golden Dragon' Military Drills to Proceed, Despite Threat of Coronavirus Radio Free Asia 02 Mar 2020 -- Cambodia and China have no plans to cancel their fourth annual joint "Golden Dragon" military exercise later this month, despite the threat of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), Cambodia's Minister of Defense Tea Banh said Monday.
- Establishment of national defense force on biosecurity urged amid COVID-19 outbreak Global Times 02 Mar 2020 -- A permanent national defense force on biosecurity should be established and led by China's military, as the novel coronavirus pneumonia (COVID-19) outbreak shows that China is not fully prepared to efficiently deal with a biological disaster or even potential warfare, which can have as great an impact as a conventional regional war, Chinese experts said on Monday.
- Air Force's operation in Wuhan shows its mobility, capabilities, military official says People's Daily 02 Mar 2020 -- The People's Liberation Army Air Force's large-scale airlift operation and dispatching large- and medium-sized transport aircraft to support Wuhan, Hubei province, showed rapid mobility and long-range delivery capabilities, an official with the Central Military Commission said on Monday.
- China's Yuanwang-7 sailing to Atlantic for satellite monitoring mission PLA Daily 02 Mar 2020 -- China's new-generation space tracking ship Yuanwang-7 is sailing to the Atlantic Ocean for a satellite maritime monitoring mission.
- DPRK fires 2 unidentified projectiles into eastern waters: S.Korean military People's Daily 02 Mar 2020 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) fired two unidentified projectiles into the eastern waters on Monday, according to South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS).
- North Korea fires 2 unidentified projectiles: South Press TV 02 Mar 2020 -- The South Korean military says North Korea has fired two unidentified projectiles eastward into the sea.
- Even Amid Virus Scare, North Korea Continues Weapons Tests VOA 02 Mar 2020 -- North Korea launched two short-range projectiles Monday, South Korea's military said -- a move that comes as the North scrambles to prevent a potentially disastrous coronavirus outbreak within its borders.
- Defence Expenditure as a part of GDP India PIB 02 Mar 2020 -- As per the table below, Defence Expenditure is increasing every year in absolute terms implying higher spending.
- Defense Ministry considering postponing part of military drill CNA 02 Mar 2020 -- The computer-simulated part of this year's Han Kuang military exercises, Taiwan's biggest annual military drill, could be postponed due to the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak, Defense Minister Yen De-fa (嚴德發) said Monday.
- Briefing With U.S. Ambassador to the OSCE James Gilmore US Dept. of State 02 Mar 2020
- Remarks by President Trump Before Marine One Departure The White House 02 Mar 2020
- Remarks by Vice President Pence at the American Israel Public Affairs Committee Policy Conference The White House 02 Mar 2020
- 2 March 2020 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 02 Mar 2020
- As children freeze to death in Syria, aid officials call for major cross-border delivery boost UN News 02 Mar 2020 -- Humanitarian assistance needs to be scaled up significantly to more than a million people displaced by fighting in northwest Syria, a senior UN aid official said on Monday, amid reports that children are freezing to death on the Turkish border.
- Syrian Government Recaptures Strategic Town of Saraqeb from Turkish-Backed Rebels VOA 02 Mar 2020 -- Syrian government forces have recaptured the strategic town of Saraqeb on the Damascus to Aleppo highway, one day after Turkish fighter jets reportedly shot down two Syrian government SU-24 warplanes. Damascus is also claiming it shot down three Turkish drones.
- Millions of Civilians Face Humanitarian Catastrophe in Idlib, Syria VOA 02 Mar 2020 -- U.N. investigators say millions of civilians in Idlib under siege by Russian-backed Syrian forces - and a terrorist group that controls the area - are facing a humanitarian catastrophe and are in urgent need of emergency assistance. The Independent International Commission of Inquiry on Syria has just released its latest report, which covers the period between July 11 and January 10.
- What Does Turkey's President Want? VOA 02 Mar 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says he has hopes of reaching a deal on a cease-fire in Syria's northwest when he meets his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin on Thursday in Moscow.
- We cannot guarantee safety of your planes over Syria: Russia to Turkey Press TV 02 Mar 2020 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has warned Turkey that it cannot 'guarantee the safety' of Turkish flights over Syria.
- Turkey: Erdogan, Putin To Meet In Moscow This Week For Syria Talks RFE/RL 02 Mar 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, will hold talks this week in Moscow amid mounting tensions in Syria, Turkey's presidency said March 2.
- Erdogan Hopes for Idlib Cease-fire in Putin Talks VOA 02 Mar 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Monday he hopes to reach a cease-fire deal for Syria's Idlib province during talks this week with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- Declaring commitment to 'peace and stability' for Libya, top UN envoy steps down as stress takes its toll UN News 02 Mar 2020 -- After serving more than two years as the UN's Special Representative in charge of finding a way to a lasting peace in war-torn Libya, Ghassan Salamé - who also heads up the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) - handed in his resignation on Monday, citing failing health caused by the immense stress of the job.
- Fierce Weekend Fighting Kills 11 Villagers in Myanmar's Rakhine State Radio Free Asia 02 Mar 2020 -- The bodies of two ethnic Rakhines and one Rohingya Muslim civilian were discovered Monday in Mrauk-U township in western Myanmar's war-ravaged Rakhine state, a local relief group said, following two days of clashes between Myanmar forces and the rebel Arakan Army that left 11 villagers dead.
- After Taliban, Will Al-Shabab Negotiate? VOA 02 Mar 2020 -- The Taliban and the United States have reached an unlikely agreement which will allow some U.S. troops to leave Afghanistan, and pave the way for a dialogue with the Afghan government for what could be a historic process to solve the country's long-running conflict.
- Over 50 Killed as Armed Men Attack Villages in Northern Nigeria VOA 02 Mar 2020 -- Armed men killed at least 50 people Sunday in attacks on villages in the Nigerian state of Kaduna, according to local officials and residents.
- Remarks by President Trump and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Meeting with Pharmaceutical Companies The White House 02 Mar 2020
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on March 2, 2020 PRC MofA 02 Mar 2020
- Two Chinese Nationals Charged with Laundering Over $100 Million in Cryptocurrency From Exchange Hack US Dept. of Justice 02 Mar 2020 -- Forfeiture Complaint Details Over $250 Million Stolen by North Korean Actors
- Treasury Sanctions Individuals Laundering Cryptocurrency for Lazarus Group US Treasury 02 Mar 2020 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) today sanctioned two Chinese nationals involved in laundering stolen cryptocurrency from a 2018 cyber intrusion against a cryptocurrency exchange.
- Two Chinese Nationals Charged With Laundering $100M in Stolen Cryptocurrency VOA 02 Mar 2020 -- Two Chinese nationals have been charged by U.S. prosecutors with laundering more than $100 million worth of cryptocurrency that had been stolen by North Korean hackers in 2018.
- Cambodia Seizes Cameroonian Tanker That Violated North Korea Sanctions Radio Free Asia 02 Mar 2020 -- Cambodian authorities last week seized a Cameroon-registered ship that is suspected of having taken part in ship-to-ship transfers to North Korea of oil and other banned goods, RFA has learned.
- Iran says doubts US intentions in offering coronavirus aid Press TV 02 Mar 2020 -- Iran says it does not count on the United States for help in its battle against the coronavirus because it does not trust Washington's alleged offer of assistance.
- Israel holds general elections as leaders use alarmist virus rumors to win Press TV 02 Mar 2020 -- People are voting in Israel's third general elections in less than a year, amid accusations that rivals are spreading fake coronavirus reports to tip the scales of the vote.
- Israel Holds Third Election in a Year VOA 02 Mar 2020 -- Voters in Israel are casting ballots Monday in the country's third election in the past 12 months.
- Kosovar, Serbian Presidents Hold 'Goodwill' Meeting At White House RFE/RL 02 Mar 2020 -- Kosovar President Hashim Thaci says he has met with his Serbian counterpart, Aleksandar Vucic, at the While House to discuss ways to reach a "final agreement" between the two Balkan countries.
- As Expected, Tajik Ruling Party Wins Parliamentary Elections, Opposition Shut Out RFE/RL 02 Mar 2020 -- Tajikistan's election authorities say President Emomali Rahmon's ruling party, as expected, has won March 1 parliamentary elections and is set to retain control over parliament with its pro-presidential allies.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|