20 January 2020 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Navy Names Future Aircraft Carrier Doris Miller During MLK, Jr. Day Ceremony NNS 20 Jan 2020 -- Acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas B. Modly named a future aircraft carrier USS Doris Miller (CVN 81) during a Martin Luther King, Jr. Day ceremony honoring African Americans of the Greatest Generation in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, Jan. 20.
- Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group Arrives in San Diego after Around-the-World Deployment NNS 20 Jan 2020 -- The Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group arrived at Naval Air Station North Island Jan. 20, marking the end of a 10-month deployment to the U.S. 6th, 5th, and 7th Fleet areas of operation.
- Statement by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg on direct flights between Belgrade and Pristina NATO 20 Jan 2020
- Eight Countries Back European-Led Naval Mission In Strait Of Hormuz RFE/RL 20 Jan 2020 -- Eight European Union member states have given their support for a European-led maritime surveillance mission in the Strait of Hormuz, a strategic route for world oil supplies.
- France Says Eight Nations Back European-Led Naval Mission in Strait of Hormuz Sputnik 20 Jan 2020 -- Multiple European states began mulling a 'maritime security mission' in the Persian Gulf last summer amid simmering tensions between the UK and Iran, but the initiative seemed to have been temporarily frozen after London announced that it would be joining a US-led maritime coalition in the region.
- Russia's Altius-U Drone to Feature Satellite Compatibility - Defence Industry Source Sputnik 20 Jan 2020 -- Russia's new Altius-U long-duration unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) has been equipped with a satellite communication channel in order to increase its range, an informed source in the Russian military-industrial complex told Sputnik.
- Air Force reveals J-20 combat formation Global Times 20 Jan 2020 -- China's most advanced J-20 stealth fighter jets assigned to an ace unit have been conducting real-combat scenario training together with powerful J-16 and agile J-10C jets, the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force revealed, as a Chinese expert said Monday the combination can conjure a kaleidoscope of tactics to safeguard the country.
- Xi signs order for issuing trial regulation on military supervision work PLA Daily 20 Jan 2020 -- Xi Jinping, chairman of the Central Military Commission, has signed an order for releasing the trial regulation on military supervision work.
- Review of Construction of Indigenous Aircraft Carrier India PIB 20 Jan 2020 -- he progress of Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC-P71) project was reviewed by the Empowered Apex Committee (EAC) headed by Shri Ajay Kumar, Defence Secretary, on 20 Jan 20 at Cochin Shipyard Limited.
- India Inducts BrahMos-armed Su-30 Squadron with Emanating Indian Ocean Threat in Mind Sputnik 20 Jan 2020 -- The force has deployed the squadron at a time when China has increased its presence in the northern part of the Indian Ocean. The squadron will play a crucial role in the region, with immense support to the maritime forces as well.
- Lukashenka Reshuffles Top Military Leadership, Appoints New Defense Minister RFE/RL 20 Jan 2020 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has reshuffled the country's top military leadership, including his defense minister.
- Baghdad to send delegates to Russia, China, Ukraine to buy latest air defense systems: Iraqi MP Press TV 20 Jan 2020 -- An Iraqi lawmaker says the Baghdad government is planning to send delegations to Russia, China and Ukraine to discuss the procurement of modern air defense missile systems to protect its territory from any possible act of aggression.
- Serbia Buys 6 Pantsir-S1 Missile Systems From Russia - Source Sputnik 20 Jan 2020 -- Russia and Serbia signed a deal on one battery made up of six Pantsir-S1 missile systems and will have it delivered this year, a source in the defence cooperation sector said.
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo and Colombian President Ivan Duque at a Press Availability US Dept. of State 20 Jan 2020
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo at the Opening Plenary of the Third Western Hemisphere Counterterrorism Ministerial US Dept. of State 20 Jan 2020
- Secretary Pompeo's Meeting with Bolivian Foreign Minister Longaric US Dept. of State 20 Jan 2020
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo's Meeting with Brazilian Foreign Minister Ernesto Araujo US Dept. of State 20 Jan 2020
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo With Margarita Rojas of Caracol TV US Dept. of State 20 Jan 2020
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo With Julio Sanchez Cristo of La W Radio US Dept. of State 20 Jan 2020
- 20 January 2020 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 20 Jan 2020
- Russia repels drone attack on Hmeimim base in Syria Press TV 20 Jan 2020 -- Russian air defenses have repelled a drone attack launched by unidentified militants on the strategic Hmeimim airbase in Syria's western coastal province of Latakia.
- Foreign powers call for 'permanent' Libya ceasefire, vow end to foreign interference Press TV 20 Jan 2020 -- Key players and foreign powers implicated in the Libyan crisis have agreed on the need for a 'permanent' ceasefire and an end to foreign interference in the country.
- Erdogan: Ankara not sending troops to Libya, only advisers, trainers Press TV 20 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Ankara has not yet sent troops to war-torn Libya to support its UN-recognized government, stressing that his country has only deployed military advisers and trainers there so far.
- It Was Haftar Who Refused to Sign Agreement on Ceasefire in Berlin - Diplomatic Source Sputnik 20 Jan 2020 -- A conference on Libyan settlement was held on Sunday in Berlin, with representatives of Russia, the United States, Turkey, Egypt, the European Union, the United Nations and other countries invited to attend.
- Libya's GNA 'Cautiously Optimistic' About Haftar's LNA Honouring Berlin Agreements - Leader Sputnik 20 Jan 2020 -- Fayez Sarraj, the head of Government of National Accord (GNA) on Monday expressed optimism regarding the willingness of the Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Khalifa Haftar, to follow the agreements reached during the Berlin conference.
- Turkey Rejects EU Coordination in Libyan Peace Process – Erdogan Sputnik 20 Jan 2020 -- Turkey does not want the European Union to coordinate the Libyan peace process, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Monday, adding that there is the United Nations to play that role.
- World Leaders Agree to Back Away From Interfering in Libya VOA 20 Jan 2020 -- EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said Monday someone will need to act as a monitor in order for a cease-fire in Libya to work.
- EU Mulls Reviving Migrant, Arms Embargo Operation Targeting Libya VOA 20 Jan 2020 -- The European Union is considering restarting an operation to control migrant trafficking and enforce a U.N. arms embargo on Libya if a shaky truce in the North African country solidifies into a formal cease-fire.
- Cyprus Dubs Turkey 'Pirate State' as Mediterranean Gas Drilling Dispute Simmers Sputnik 20 Jan 2020 -- Turkey resumed gas exploration drilling in the Mediterranean Sea off Cyprus's coast last week amid overlapping claims between Nicosia and the Turkish-backed de facto state of Northern Cyprus regarding the extent of their maritime economic zones.
- Major humanitarian hub in northeast Nigeria burned in attack UN News 20 Jan 2020 -- The top UN aid official in Nigeria has condemned a weekend attack against a major humanitarian facility in the north-east of the country.
- Kyiv Asks OSCE To Expand Ukraine Monitoring Mission RFE/RL 20 Jan 2020 -- Foreign Minister Vadym Prystayko says Ukraine has asked the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) to expand its monitoring mission in Ukraine.
- 'No Genocidal Intent' Found in Rohingya Crackdown, Myanmar Commission Says Radio Free Asia 20 Jan 2020 -- Myanmar military operations against the Muslim Rohingya community in the country's Rakhine state in 2017 were marked by war crimes and serious human rights violations, but did not have "genocidal intent," a Myanmar government commission has concluded in a report released on Monday.
- White House, House Lawmakers Lay Out Impeachment Cases as Trial Looms VOA 20 Jan 2020 -- White House lawyers are due to submit Monday a brief detailing their arguments in the impeachment trial of U.S. President Donald Trump, a day before the proceedings begin in earnest.
- Statement from the Press Secretary Announcing Congressional Members of the President's Impeachment Team The White House 20 Jan 2020
- Trial Memorandum of President Donald J. Trump The White House 20 Jan 2020
- Rep. Schiff: NSA, CIA probably have more evidence pertinant to impeachment Press TV 20 Jan 2020 -- US House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff has announced that federal law enforcement agencies might be withholding evidence pertinent to US President Donald Trump's impeachment trial.
- Pompeo Promises More Action to Boost Venezuela's Guaido VOA 20 Jan 2020 -- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says the Untied States will start doing more to support Venezuela's opposition leader and self-proclaimed president, Juan Guaido.
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo With Venezuelan Interim President Juan Guaido US Dept. of State 20 Jan 2020
- Putin Sends Proposed Constitutional Changes To Parliament RFE/RL 20 Jan 2020 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has submitted a package of proposed constitutional amendments to parliament, after announcing last week a surprise overhaul of the country's political system.
- Ex-Army Interpreter Accused Of Spying For Iran Goes On Trial In Germany RFE/RL 20 Jan 2020 -- A trial for a German-Afghan national suspected of spying for Iranian intelligence is set to commence on January 20 in the city of Koblenz in Germany.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Geng Shuang's Regular Press Conference on January 20, 2020 PRC MofA 20 Jan 2020
- S.Koreans' individual tour to DPRK not subject to UN sanctions: S.Korea People's Daily 20 Jan 2020 -- South Koreans' individual tour to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) would not be subject to the UN sanctions against Pyongyang, Yonhap news agency reported on Monday, citing the unification ministry of South Korea.
- Iran informed Iraq of missile attacks in advance: MFA spox IRNA 20 Jan 2020 -- Spokesman of Iran's Ministry of Foreign Affairs Abbas Mousavi said on Monday that Tehran had Informed Iraqi government in advance about Iran's retaliatory missile attacks on two US bases in Iraq.
- Ukraine says Iran fulfilled commitments on plane incident IRNA 20 Jan 2020 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Monday that Iran has fulfilled its commitments regarding plane incident.
- China welcoming any action to preserve JCPOA IRNA 20 Jan 2020 -- Spokesman for China's diplomatic apparatus in response to Russia's request for convening a meeting by the signatories of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) to examine the prospect of the Iranian nuclear deal stated that Beijing is actively welcoming any initiative taken to reduce tensions in the region and preserve the JCPOA.
- Zarif: Iran to leave NPT in case of EU referral to Security Council IRNA 20 Jan 2020 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Monday that Iran will leave the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty if Europeans insist on their unjustifiable behavior or refer the nuclear issue to the UN Security Council.
- Iran warns of leaving NPT if nuclear case goes to UN Press TV 20 Jan 2020 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has said that if Britain, France, and Germany continue their unjustifiable conduct and move to send Iran's nuclear case to the United Nations Security Council, Tehran would have the option of leaving the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).
- Iran Says It Still Respects 2015 Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 20 Jan 2020 -- Iran still observes a landmark 2015 nuclear deal with world powers despite rolling back its commitments to the pact, Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Musavi told a news conference in Tehran on January 20.
- Ukraine Presses Iran Over Downed Plane's Black Boxes RFE/RL 20 Jan 2020 -- Ukraine is urging Iran to return the black-box flight recorders of a Ukrainian passenger plane shot down by the Iranian forces earlier this month.
- Iran Considers Dual Nationals On Downed Ukrainian Airliner To Be Iranians RFE/RL 20 Jan 2020 -- Iran regards dual citizens aboard a Ukrainian plane that was shot down this month as Iranian nationals, Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Musavi said on January 20.
- Moscow Warns Iran Against Reckless Steps as Tehran Threatens to Quit Non-Proliferation Treaty Sputnik 20 Jan 2020 -- Earlier, Iranian Foreign Ministry's spokesman Seyyed Abbas Mousavi said that Tehran continues to adhere to the 2015 nuclear deal, adding that the European powers' claims about Iran violating the deal were unfounded.
- Police Arrest Protest Organizer For 'Obstruction' After He Calls on Crowd to Leave Radio Free Asia 20 Jan 2020 -- Police in Hong Kong arrested protest organizer Ventus Lau after claiming incorrectly that he didn't ask a peaceful protest crowd to disperse when their event was ordered to close at short notice by riot police on Sunday.
- Lebanon in urgent need of new government to avoid crisis: Hariri Press TV 20 Jan 2020 -- Lebanon's caretaker Prime Minister Saad Hariri has once again called for the urgent formation of a new government to stop the worsening economic and security conditions in the country.
- Protests resume in Iraq, demanding reforms, new govt. Press TV 20 Jan 2020 -- Protesters have returned to the streets in cities across Iraq, sealing roads with burning tires and threatening further escalation at a time of difficult economic conditions.
- Kosovo's Vetevendosje Party Nominates Leader Kurti For PM RFE/RL 20 Jan 2020 -- Kosovo's Self-Determination Movement (Vetevendosje), the party that won most votes in October parliamentary elections, has nominated its leader, Albin Kurti, for the post of prime minister.
- 'Memory Wars': Polish, Russian Fight Over World War II Shifts To Auschwitz RFE/RL 20 Jan 2020 -- The Nazi death camp in Poland where more than 1 million Jews, Poles, and other people died -- was liberated by the Red Army on January 27, 1945.
- Serbia, Kosovo Sign Deal To Restore Direct Air Link RFE/RL 20 Jan 2020 -- U.S. diplomats have overseen the signing of an agreement between Serbia and Kosovo on the resumption of commercial flights between the two Balkan states, a rare sign of cooperation between the two neighbors.
- Pakistan To Import 300,000 Tons Of Wheat To Meet Flour Crisis RFE/RL 20 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan on January 20 approved the import of 300,000 tons of wheat to alleviate the effects of a shortage of flour supplies that has triggered a crisis for Prime Minister Imran Khan's government.
- Political party associated with Chen Shui-bian disbanded CNA 20 Jan 2020 -- The Taiwan Action Party Alliance (TAPA), a party established in August 2019 that had former President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) as its spiritual leader, announced its disbanding on Monday.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Chinese hospitals actively respond to outbreak of Wuhan pneumonia; analysts suggest no need to panic Global Times 20 Jan 2020 -- Hospitals in Chinese cities began to implement new and stronger measures on Monday after authorities confirmed 136 new cases the pneumonia-like illness have been found in various parts of the country over the weekend. Hospitals and authorities said the spread of the disease is no cause for panic and none was witnessed in the affected cities and hospitals that were visited by reporters has been felt at the scenes.
- China Confirms Wuhan Coronavirus Is Being Transmitted Between People Radio Free Asia 20 Jan 2020 -- A Chinese government health expert has confirmed that the Wuhan coronovirus, which is rapidly spreading across China and to neighboring countries, is capable of being transmitted between human beings.
- First Confirmed Case of New Coronavirus Strain Reported in South Korea Sputnik 20 Jan 2020 -- South Korea registered the first case of new coronavirus, the organisation of the South Korea's Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) under the Ministry of Health said.
- Mysterious Virus Outbreak Spreads Across China: Officials See 139 Contracted Over Weekend - Report Sputnik 20 Jan 2020 -- An unidentified strain of a new type of coronavirus was registered in the Chinese city of Wuhan, Hubei province, earlier this month. The new infection has symptoms common with the flu or pneumonia, including weakness, fever and coughing. Medics in the area, however, are reportedly powerless to stop the rising number of exposed people.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|