11 January 2020 Military News
- Two U.S. Soldiers Killed In Afghanistan After Vehicle Hits Roadside Bomb RFE/RL 11 Jan 2020 -- Two U.S. soldiers were killed and two wounded when the army vehicle they were traveling in struck a roadside bomb in Afghanistan, the NATO press office said in a statement.
Defense Policy / Programs
- 18th Wing, joint partners execute first WestPac Rumrunner exercise US Air Force 11 Jan 2020 -- More than 60 aircraft and 300 personnel from the Air Force, Navy, Army and Marine Corps participated in 18th Wing's first WestPac Rumrunner exercise Jan. 10.
- KRG supports Baghdad's decision on US troop pullout from Iraq Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- The president of Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, Nechirvan Barzani, says the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) supports a decision made by the central government in Baghdad concerning the withdrawal of US military forces from the country.
- Trump: US troops won't leave Iraq unless it pays for 'money we put in' Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- US President Donald Trump says American troops should not leave Iraq unless Baghdad pays for "the money we put in" the country over the past several years, defying calls by Iraqi officials for US troops to withdraw.
- US rebuffs Iraq's call to withdraw troops from Arab country Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- The United States has rejected Iraq's call to pull American forces out of the Arab country, claiming that their presence was "appropriate."
- Future of NATO Nuclear Agreement in Question? Germany Struggles to Replace Aging Tornado Jets Sputnik 11 Jan 2020 -- According to NATO's nuclear weapons obligations, dating back to the Cold War, German planes are to carry US bombs in the event of an atomic strike. Although the country's Tornado fighter jets are close to the end of their operational life and already cost millions of dollars to taxpayers, it remains unclear which aircraft will replace them.
- India Begins Deployment of Advanced Weapons System Along China Border - Army Chief Sputnik 11 Jan 2020 -- China had expressed concern in 2018 over the planned deployment of advanced weapons systems along the 4,057-kilometre border that it shares with India. The Chinese defence ministry has said India should avoid steps that contradict an agreement reached between the two leaderships to maintain peace and tranquility.
- Indian-Produced Naval Light Combat Aircraft Lands on Aircraft Carrier Vikramaditya for First Time Sputnik 11 Jan 2020 -- The air variant of the light combat aircraft (LCA) has been named Tejas and is already operational with the Air Force. India becomes the sixth nation after Russia, the United States, France, the United Kingdom, and China to have mastered the art of arrested landing on the deck of an aircraft carrier.
- Japan Sends Two Patrol Aircraft to Middle East for Maritime Surveillance - Reports Sputnik 11 Jan 2020 -- According to the NHK broadcaster, the aircraft will collect and report intelligence that will help ensure safe maritime passage to commercial vessels with ties to Japan.
- Colombia Creates Special Unit to Fight Drug Trafficking in Country's Southwest – President Sputnik 11 Jan 2020 -- The Colombian authorities have created a special military unit to fight drug trafficking in the southwestern part of the country, President Ivan Duque said.
- UNSC extends cross-border aid delivery into Syria, halves crossings, time Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- The United Nations Security Council has extended a six-year-long system for a cross-border delivery of humanitarian aid to people in Syria, halving the crossing points and the length of time.
- UNSC Adopts European Resolution on Cross-Border Humanitarian Aid Deliveries to Syria Sputnik 11 Jan 2020 -- The United States, the United Kingdom, China, and Russia abstained from voting on the resolution, while other 11 members voted in favour.
- Iraq's PMU commanders hold summit over US assassinations Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- Operation commanders of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units have convened to examine recent developments in the country, specifically US assassination of Iranian General Qassem Soleimani and the Iraqi deputy PMU head Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis.
- Abkhazian Presidential Office Regards Supreme Court Verdict on Election Results as Illegal Sputnik 11 Jan 2020 -- The Abkhazian presidential press service believes that the Supreme Court's decision to annul the results of the presidential election is illegal and vows to appeal it.
- Nord Stream 2 pipeline to be completed by first quarter of 2021: Putin Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says the Nord Stream 2, a system of offshore natural gas pipeline from Russia to Germany, will be finished by early 2021 at the latest, despite sanctions imposed by the United States on companies involved in the project.
- DPRK official says nuke talks only possible when US "fully" accepts demands Global Times 11 Jan 2020 -- A senior official of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) said here on Saturday that dialogue with the United States can resume only when it fully accepts Pyongyang's demands.
- Statement Issued by Advisor of DPRK Foreign Ministry KCNA 11 Jan 2020 -- Kim Kye Gwan, advisor of the DPRK Foreign Ministry, issued the following statement on Saturday:
- North Korea rules out return to talks with US despite good personal relations with Trump Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- North Korea says it will not return to the negotiation table with the United States solely based on the "good relations" between the country's leader Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump.
- North Korea: US Must 'Unconditionally Accept Our Demands' VOA 11 Jan 2020 -- North Korea will not resume nuclear talks unless the United States unconditionally accepts its demands, a senior North Korean official said Saturday.
- US: Seoul Must Continue to Enforce Sanctions on Pyongyang VOA 11 Jan 2020 -- The U.S. has responded to a call by South Korean President Moon Jae-in for renewed inter-Korean cooperation by stressing that Seoul must continue to implement all sanctions on North Korea.
- Iranians React With Anger After Tehran Admits Downing Ukrainian Plane By Mistake RFE/RL 11 Jan 2020 -- Iran's admission that it was responsible for the January 8 downing of a Ukrainian passenger jet, which killed all 176 people on board including many Iranians and Iranian-Canadian citizens, has led to anger and accusations of recklessness and incompetency against the country's leaders.
- PM statement on Iran plane crash UK FCO 11 Jan 2020 -- Prime Minister Boris Johnson's statement on the Iran plane crash.
- Reaction Swift, Stern to Iran's Downing of Ukrainian Jetliner VOA 11 Jan 2020 -- In the face of mounting evidence, Iran acknowledged Saturday that it had shot down a Ukrainian jetliner by accident this week after it took off in Tehran, killing all 176 people aboard.
- U.S. slaps fresh sanctions against Iran after missile attacks People's Daily 11 Jan 2020 -- The U.S. government said Friday that it has imposed fresh sanctions on Iran, days after Iran's missile attacks targeting U.S. forces in Iraq.
- Trump claims 4 U.S. embassies were targeted by Iran People's Daily 11 Jan 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said that the "imminent threat" from Iran might involve planned attacks on four U.S. embassies, U.S. media reported on Friday.
- US lawmakers reject Trump's new claim that Soleimani targeted 4 US embassies in region Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- Several US lawmakers and officials have dismissed President Donald Trump's new claim the US assassinated Iranian Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani because he was planning an attack on four American embassies in the region, including the one in Iraq.
- US Tried, Failed to Kill Iranian Officer in Yemen on Day of Soleimani Killing - Reports Sputnik 11 Jan 2020 -- US forces launched a secret operation in Yemen targeting a second leader of Iran's Revolutionary Guards Quds Force on the day that Qasem Soleimani was killed in Iraq, but the mission failed, the Washington Post reported on Friday.
- Ukrainian plane tragedy unacceptable, Iran urged to punish culprits Global Times 11 Jan 2020 -- No reason is acceptable for the Ukrainian plane tragedy, which caused the loss of 176 lives; Iran must take responsibility and punish those accountable for downing the Ukrainian jetliner, experts said, after Iran admitted to accidentally shooting down the jetliner because of a terrible "human error" on Saturday.
- Rouhani: Iran welcomes int'l cooperation to determine causes of Ukrainian plane crash IRNA 11 Jan 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Saturday that Iran welcomes international collaboration for clearly determining causes of the air disaster and will prepare all consular facilities to this end.
- Speaker stresses to prosecute those behind crash of Ukrainian plane IRNA 11 Jan 2020 -- Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani in a message expressed sympathy for the victims of Ukraine's passenger plane crash and said that investigating the magnitude of this error is an important task that should be prioritized by the relevant agencies as well as identifying those behind the fault or failure of the unfortunate event.
- IRGC cmdr sheds light on Ukrainian plane crash IRNA 11 Jan 2020 -- The commander of the IRGC's Aerospace Force, Brigadier-General Amir-Ali Hajizadeh on Saturday took full responsibility for the Ukrainian plane crash blaming human error and "US adventurism" for the crash that left 176 people dead.
- Leader orders investigation into "possible negligence" in air disaster IRNA 11 Jan 2020 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei on Saturday ordered an investigation into the likely negligence or faulty performance in the air disaster case.
- Judiciary chief orders to initiate legal proceedings over Ukrainian plane crash IRNA 11 Jan 2020 -- Judiciary Chief Ebrahim Raisi on Saturday ordered Judiciary Organization of the Armed Forces to initiate legal proceedings against those accountable for the tragic air disaster of downing the Ukrainian plane crash.
- Zarif profoundly regrets human error behind air disaster IRNA 11 Jan 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in a message expressed his profound regret and apologized for the human error which caused crash for the Ukrainian passenger plane.
- Rouhani : Persons who caused Ukraine plane crash will be sued IRNA 11 Jan 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani expressed regret over the human error which caused the tragic crash of Ukraine Airlines plane and said those who committed such an unpardonable mistake will be sued and investigated.
- General Staff of Iran Armed Forces releases statement on Ukrainian plane crash IRNA 11 Jan 2020 -- The General Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces offered explanations for the crash of the Ukrainian aircraft which happened near Tehran on Wednesday.
- Iran says it "unintentionally" shot down Ukrainian jetliner People's Daily 11 Jan 2020 -- Iran's state TV on Saturday quoted the Iranian military as saying that it "unintentionally" shot down the Ukrainian jetliner on Wednesday, in which all the 176 passengers and crew members on board were killed.
- Iran welcomes global cooperation on plane crash investigation: President Rouhani Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says the Islamic Republic welcomes any cooperation in the framework of international regulations to shed more light on a Ukrainian passenger plane crash near Tehran, adding that the country will provide all necessary consular facilities in this regard.
- Ukraine's president wants Iran to 'punish' those responsible for plane crash Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- Ukraine's president demands Iran "punish the guilty" in the recent crash of a Ukrainian passenger plane, while praising Tehran's cooperation with an "objective" investigation into the tragedy.
- We accept full responsibility for Ukrainian plane crash: IRGC Aerospace chief Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- Head of the Aerospace Division of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has accepted full responsibility for the downing of a Ukraine aircraft which crashed near the capital Tehran earlier this week.
- Iran Leader ordered swift release of Ukraine plane downing details: Report Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei called on authorities to make all details about the accidental downing of a Ukrainian jet public after he heard about it, Fars news agency says.
- Iran's justice orders military court to conduct immediate probe into plane crash Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- Iran's judiciary has ordered an immediate probe into the unintentional downing of a Ukrainian passenger plane which crashed near the capital Tehran earlier this week.
- Iran: Ukrainian plane brought down 'due to human error' Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- Iran says a Ukrainian plane which crashed outside Tehran this week had flown close to a sensitive military site and been brought down due to human error "at a time of crisis caused by US adventurism."
- Ukraine Wants Compensation After Iran Admits Downing Passenger Jet RFE/RL 11 Jan 2020 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy says his country expects a full probe, a full admission of guilt, and compensation from Iran after Tehran admitted, after days of denial, it accidentally shot down a Ukrainian passenger plane, killing all 176 aboard.
- West Ramps Up Pressure On Iran Over Crash Probe RFE/RL 11 Jan 2020 -- The West turned up the heat on Iran over the crash of a Ukrainian airliner outside of Tehran, with the United States saying it is "likely" that an Iranian missile shot down the craft and vowing to "take appropriate action in response."
- Trump Hails 'Brave' Iranian Protesters, Warns Tehran 'World Is Watching' RFE/RL 11 Jan 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump expressed support for "brave" Iranian protesters and warned the government that the "world is watching" as demonstrators took to the streets of Tehran to express anger after Iran admitted it mistakenly shot down a Ukrainian airliner.
- Protesters In Tehran Call For Justice Over Iran's Downing Of Ukrainian Plane RFE/RL 11 Jan 2020 -- Protesters outside a university in Tehran have called for justice after Iran admitted it mistakenly shot down a Ukrainian passenger plane on January 8.
- Iran Was Prepared for Full-Fledged War with US When Missile Downed Ukrainian Jet - IRGC Commander Sputnik 11 Jan 2020 -- Earlier in the day, Iranian authorities admitted the Ukrainian jet that crashed in Tehran this week was downed with a missile by the Iranian armed forces.
- Heightened Push for Full Probe, Justice Follow Iran's Admission on Jet Shootdown VOA 11 Jan 2020 -- The aerospace commander of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said on state television Saturday that he took "full responsibility" for the mistaken shootdown of a Ukrainian jetliner this week and that he wished he "were dead" when he learned about the fate of the aircraft.
- Iranian Protests Reported After IRGC Admits Responsibility for Downed Plane VOA 11 Jan 2020 -- Hundreds of people protested in several cities around Iran on Saturday after the military admitted to mistakenly shooting down a civilian Ukrainian plane, killing all 176 on board.
- 2020 ELECTIONS / President Tsai wins second term with huge victory CNA 11 Jan 2020 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) has been elected to a second four-year term after defeating her main competitor, Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) of the Kuomintang (KMT), by a wide margin.
- 2020 ELECTIONS / Full text of Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen's acceptance speech CNA 11 Jan 2020
- 2020 ELECTIONS / DPP retains legislative majority, KMT gains seats CNA 11 Jan 2020 -- The ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) on Saturday maintained its majority in the Legislature, giving it a clear path to maintaining complete control of the government for the next four years.
- 2China-hostile Incumbent Wins Re-election in Taiwan, Vows to Pursue Talks VOA 11 Jan 2020 -- Taiwanese voters re-elected incumbent Tsai Ing-wen on Saturday by a landslide, renewing her mandate to keep holding off the island's long-time military rival, China, after a year of fast-changing threats.
- Taiwan's Tsai Sweeps to Landslide Victory in Presidential Election Radio Free Asia 11 Jan 2020 -- President Tsai Ing-wen swept to a landslide victory in Taiwan's presidential elections on Saturday after she vowed to defend the island's way of life against threats, infiltration and saber-rattling by China.
- Taiwan's Tsai Ing-wen Announces Victory in Presidential Vote Sputnik 11 Jan 2020 -- On Saturday, citizens of the Republic of China headed to the polls to cast their votes for a new president and vice president of Taiwan.
- 2020 ELECTIONS / KMT chairman announces resignation after election defeat CNA 11 Jan 2020 -- Main opposition Kuomintang (KMT) Chairman Wu Den-yih (吳敦義) announced Saturday that he will resign en masse with other top-ranking executive party members next week because of the crushing defeat the party suffered in both the presidential and legislative elections.
- Mainland experts urge expediting reunification after Tsai's win Global Times 11 Jan 2020 -- Taiwan's incumbent regional leader Tsai Ing-wen swept a landslide victory in Taiwan's regional elections on Saturday, defeating her primary opponent Han Kuo-yu by gaining more than 8 million votes. Analysts from the Chinese mainland forecast more obstacles in cross-Straits relations following Tsai's reelection, urging more active preparations for reunification.
- Tsai and DPP must curb radical tendency Global Times 11 Jan 2020 -- Taiwan's regional leadership and legislative elections were held on Saturday. Situation showed the current leader Tsai Ing-wen realized the reelection after winning more than half of the votes. The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) is also set to win more than half of the legislative seats. Kuomintang chairman Wu Den-yih has announced his resignation.
- Taiwan's President Tsai wins 2nd term in office Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- Taiwan's President Tsai Ing-wen has declared her victory in Saturday's election, where voters allowed the self-ruled island's first female leader to assume power for a second term.
- On Taiwan's Election US Dept. of State 11 Jan 2020 -- "The United States congratulates Dr. Tsai Ing-wen on her re-election in Taiwan's presidential election."
- First death reported in Wuhan pneumonia outbreak Global Times 11 Jan 2020 -- Local health authority in Wuhan, Central China's Hubei Province, reported on Saturday that the viral pneumonia outbreak, caused by a new kind of coronavirus, claimed the first life while seven continue to ail in severe condition.
- China Says One Person Dead in Outbreak of Newly Discovered Virus Sputnik 11 Jan 2020 -- A previously unknown type of pneumonia was registered in the country, which Chinese experts assume to be caused by a new type of coronavirus.
- Statement from President Donald J. Trump on the Passing of Sultan Qaboos Bin Sa'id Al Sa'id of Oman The White House 11 Jan 2020
- Statement From Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T. Esper on the Passing of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos of Oman DoD 11 Jan 2020
- Iran FM says Oman ruler's death 'loss for region', hopes for expansion of Tehran-Muscat ties Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the death of Oman's Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al Said was a "loss for the region" and expressed hope that relations between Tehran and Muscat will further increase under his successor.
- Oman swears in successor to Sultan Qaboos Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- Oman's Minister of Heritage and Culture Haitham bin Tariq al-Said has been sworn in as new ruler of the Arab country after the death of his cousin Sultan Qaboos bin Said al-Said.
- Oman's Sultan Qaboos dies at 79 Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- Oman's Sultan Qaboos bin Said dies at the age of 79 after around half a century at the helm of the state amid a battle with resurgent colorectal cancer.
- Omani Sultan Haitham bin Tariq Takes the Oath of Office SPA 11 Jan 2020 -- New Sultan of Oman Haitham bin Tariq took here today the oath of office, during a joint session of the two Omani chambers and the Council of Defense, in accordance with the Omani Statute.
- Sultan Qaboos of Oman Has Died, Age 79 - State Media Sputnik 11 Jan 2020 -- Qaboos bin Said al-Said, the Sultan of Oman, passed away Friday evening, according to the Oman News Agency.
- Our Deepest Condolences on the Passing of Oman's Sultan Qaboos US Dept. of State 11 Jan 2020
- UN chief pays tribute to 'enduring contributions' to regional, international diplomacy of Oman's late Sultan Qaboos UN News 11 Jan 2020 -- UN Secretary-General António Guterres has extended his profound condolences to the Royal family, the Government and people of Oman on the passing of Sultan Qaboos Bin Said, who passed away late Friday at the age of 79.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|