29 December 2019 Military News
- Statement From Assistant to the Secretary of Defense Jonathan Hoffman DoD 29 Dec 2019 -- In response to repeated Kata'ib Hizbollah (KH) attacks on Iraqi bases that host Operation Inherent Resolve (OIR) coalition forces, U.S. forces have conducted precision defensive strikes against five KH facilities in Iraq and Syria that will degrade KH's ability to conduct future attacks against OIR coalition forces.
- U.S. Conducts Air Strikes On Iran-Linked Paramilitary Group In Iraq, Syria RFE/RL 29 Dec 2019 -- The United States said on December 29 that it had bombed five targets in Iraq and Syria controlled by an Iraqi Shi'a paramilitary group with suspected ties to Iran's elite Quds Force.
- US Carries Out 'Defensive Strikes' Against Five Shia Militia Facilities in Syria and Iraq Sputnik 29 Dec 2019 -- The strikes follow a rocket attack on a base in northern Iraq on Friday which the US claims was likely carried out by an Iran-allied militia group.
- Iraqi President condemns US attack on PMU bases as death toll reaches 25 Press TV 29 Dec 2019 -- Iraqi President Barham Salih has condemned Washington's attacks on Kata'ib Hezbollah, which is part of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), as the death toll from the attack reaches more than two dozen.
- Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units confirm US attack on their base in Anbar Press TV 29 Dec 2019 -- Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), commonly known by the Arabic name Hashd al-Sha'abi, say US forces in the country have carried out an airstrike on a number of their facilities in the western Anbar province, reporting casualties.
- Taliban Attack Kills 17 Pro-Government Militia In Northern Afghanistan RFE/RL 29 Dec 2019 -- A Taliban attack in Afghanistan's northern Takhar Province has killed 17 local militiamen, local officials said on December 29.
- Taliban Ponders Cease-fire With US, Continues Deadly Attacks on Afghan Forces VOA 29 Dec 2019 -- A fresh Taliban attack in Afghanistan has killed 17 pro-government forces, even as the insurgent group is reported to be mulling over a brief cease-fire to try to seal a foreign troop withdrawal deal with the United States.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Harvest year for military equipment Global Times 29 Dec 2019 -- The year 2019 has been a year of harvest for China's military equipment, as the country revealed and showcased a massive selection of the latest, advanced and powerful weapons that operates on land, sea and in the air.
- China launches powerful destroyers, delivery expected in two years Global Times 29 Dec 2019 -- China reportedly launched an additional Type 055 destroyer and a Type 052D destroyer right before the year draws to an end, a move Chinese experts called on Sunday an astounding achievement in shipbuilding, as they expect the ships to enter military service in two years.
- Indian Navy Plans to Build Six Nuke-Powered Submarines Sputnik 29 Dec 2019 -- The Indian Navy is upgrading the security infrastructure of its naval airfields. As part of the plan, systems will be installed to provide continuous surveillance, real time alerting and immediate response to a threat. The Navy also plans to purchase naval guns from the US for warships.
- Commander: All stages of trilateral drills successfully done IRNA 29 Dec 2019 -- Iranian Navy commander Rear-Admiral Hossein Khanzadi said all stages of Iran-Russia-China trilateral drills have been accomplished successfully.
- Iran-Russia-China naval drill wraps up IRNA 29 Dec 2019 -- A joint military maneuver of Russia and China with the Islamic Republic of Iran in the Indian Ocean wrapped up on Sunday.
- Iran-China-Russia joint drill representing Iran's effort to provide regional security: Amir-Abdollahian ISNA 29 Dec 2019 -- Iranian Parliament's General Director for International Affairs, Hossein Amir-Abdollahian stressed that Iran-China-Russia joint military drill represents Iran's effort to provide regional security and ensure energy transit.
- Iran, allies can keep region secure, foreign forces not needed: Commander Press TV 29 Dec 2019 -- Iran and its allies can maintain regional security without any need to foreign forces, says a top Iranian military commander following naval maneuvers jointly carried out by the Islamic Republic, Russia and China in the Sea of Oman and the Indian Ocean.
- Navy chief: Iran-Russia-China drill a message to US Press TV 29 Dec 2019 -- Iran's navy commander has said on the sidelines of a landmark joint drill in the Gulf of Oman that the US must leave the region.
- Iranian Admiral Reveals What Prompted Russia, China to Join Iran for Tripartite Drills Sputnik 29 Dec 2019 -- The three countries kicked off the first-of-their-kind naval exercises on Friday, with Iranian officials saying that the drills help demonstrate that Iran cannot be isolated.
- US Dismisses Report on '10-20% Increase' in Defense Cost-Sharing KBS World Radio 29 Dec 2019 -- The U.S. State Department has dismissed South Korean media reports that Washington may demand a ten to 20 percent increase in Seoul's contribution to the cost of stationing United States troops on the Korean Peninsula.
- Yemeni forces imposed new military equations on enemy: Spokesman Press TV 29 Dec 2019 -- Yemen's soldiers have adeptly managed to impose military equations on the Saudi-led coalition involved in a deadly campaign against the impoverished country, says the spokesman for Yemeni armed forces.
- Rocket Attack on Southern Yemen Separatists Kills 10, Hurts Dozens VOA 29 Dec 2019 -- A rocket attack on a southern Yemeni separatist militia graduation ceremony has left around 10 people dead and more than several dozen wounded.
- Continued airstrikes in western Libya 'utterly unacceptable', says UN mission chief UN News 29 Dec 2019 -- The top United Nations official in Libya has condemned recent airstrikes targeting civilian installations that left at least three people dead and several others injured.
- Turkey says it will not withdraw from observation posts in Syria's Idlib Press TV 29 Dec 2019 -- The Turkish defense minister says Turkey will not withdraw from its observation posts in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib as the Damascus government's ground forces have recently advanced in several areas during a large-scale counter-terrorism operation there.
- Ankara Says Turkish Observation Posts in Syria's Idlib Will Respond to Any Attack Sputnik 29 Dec 2019 -- Turkish observation posts in the Syrian province of Idlib are ready to respond to any possible attack, Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar said on Sunday.
- Turkey says Libya risks 'sliding into chaos' Press TV 29 Dec 2019 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, whose country is preparing for troop deployment to Libya, says the prolongation of the Libyan conflict could plunge the North African country into "chaos" and turn it into another Syria.
- Libya's eastern government rejects security deal with Turkey Press TV 29 Dec 2019 -- Libya's eastern-based administration has rejected a security deal between the UN-backed government and Turkey, saying plans by Ankara to deploy troops to the North African country would be seen as a form of unwanted intervention.
- Ukraine, pro-Russians swap prisoners Press TV 29 Dec 2019 -- The government in Ukraine carries out a prisoner exchange with pro-Russia forces seeking greater autonomy in the Russian-speaking east of the country.
- Ukraine, Russia-Backed Separatists Complete Prisoner Swap RFE/RL 29 Dec 2019 -- Ukrainian authorities and Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine have completed what was billed as an "all-for-all" prisoner swap near the village of Horlivka on December 29, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy's office said.
- Zelensky Says First Part of Normandy Accords Implemented Following Prisoner Exchange Sputnik 29 Dec 2019 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Sunday that the first part of the Normandy accords was successfully implemented following an exchange of prisoners between Kiev and the self-proclaimed people's republics of Lugansk (LPR) and Donetsk (DPR).
- Ukraine's Ombudswoman Confirms Start of Prisoner Exchange Between Kiev, Donbass Sputnik 29 Dec 2019 -- Ukraine's ombudswoman, Lyudmyla Denisova, has confirmed that a prisoner exchange between Kiev and the self-proclaimed people's republics of Lugansk (LPR) and Donetsk (DPR) started on Sunday in the Donbass region.
- Israel plans to okay building 2,000 settler units in West Bank, al-Quds: Report Press TV 29 Dec 2019 -- The Israeli regime plans to approve the construction of hundreds of settler units in the occupied West Bank and Jerusalem al-Quds, a report reveals.
- Merkel, Putin Discuss Nord Stream 2, Libya, Syria, And Ukraine RFE/RL 29 Dec 2019 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Russian President Vladimir Putin discussed issues from the Baltics to Libya in a wide-ranging telephone conversation on December 29, officials said.
- Kremlin: Putin Thanks Trump For Help Thwarting Terrorist Act RFE/RL 29 Dec 2019 -- The Kremlin says Russian President Vladimir Putin, in a telephone conversation initiated by the Russian side, has thanked U.S. President Donald Trump "for information transmitted via the special services that helped prevent the commission of terrorist acts in Russia."
- Putin Thanks Trump for Sharing Information That Helped Prevent Terrorist Acts in Russia Sputnik 29 Dec 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin called US President Donald Trump on Sunday to express his gratitude for sharing information via special services that helped to avert terrorist attacks in Russia, the Kremlin said in a statement.
- Russian Foreign Ministry Creates New Department on International Cybersecurity Affairs Sputnik 29 Dec 2019 -- The newly established 42nd department of the Russian Foreign Ministry will be dealing with Moscow's bilateral and multilateral affairs on international cybersecurity and their legal framework, the ministry said in a statement.
- Victim calls self-proclaimed spy Wang Liqiang a born liar, regrets not exposing him Global Times 29 Dec 2019 -- Wang Liqiang, the self-proclaimed Chinese spy who defected to Australia, seems to have become an abandoned card after being used by Western media, yet some politicians on the island of Taiwan have ignored the facts and are mixing up black and white and using him as an anti-mainland chip.
- Chinese Citizen Detained over Allegedly Taking Pictures of Naval Base in Florida - Reports Sputnik 29 Dec 2019 -- The US authorities accused him of entering the Naval Air Station base with the aim of taking pictures of defence facilities.
- First-Day Session of 5th Plenary Meeting of 7th C.C., WPK Held KCNA 29 Dec 2019 -- The 5th Plenary Meeting of the 7th Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea was convened here on Saturday, according to a decision of the Presidium of the Political Bureau of the C.C., WPK.
- White House: Lots of 'Tools' to Respond to Potential North Korea Missile Test VOA 29 Dec 2019 -- White House national security adviser Robert O'Brien said Sunday he did not want to speculate about North Korea and its threat of "Christmas gift," but added the U.S. would be "very disappointed" if Pyongyang tested a long-range or nuclear missile.
- Hong Kong in recession, but confident of recovery: analysts Global Times 29 Dec 2019 -- Hong Kong's top finance official urged concerted efforts to deal with the recession in the city and said improvement will depend on its social situation.
- Law amended to protect and attract Taiwan investment Global Times 29 Dec 2019 -- The National People's Congress Standing Committee on Saturday approved an amendment to a law on Taiwan compatriots' investment to protect and welcome more investment from the island of Taiwan.
- The return of Long March-5 inspires China to reach for the stars PLA Daily 29 Dec 2019 -- With a long-cherished Chinese space dream, China's largest carrier rocket Long March-5 made a successful flight Friday evening, inspiring China to explore deeper into space.
- Rioters shut down Iraqi oilfield as unrest continues Press TV 29 Dec 2019 -- Protesters have shut down a southern oilfield, cutting off electricity to the facility in the latest wave of riots which have overshadowed peaceful protests and crippled the country.
- Minsk Sees Fifth Protest Over Closer Relations With Russia RFE/RL 29 Dec 2019 -- Around 100 Belarusians protested in downtown Minsk on December 29 against the prospect of deeper relations with Russia, the fifth such demonstration in the past month.
- Mauritius Prime Minister accuses UK of 'crimes against humanity' Press TV 29 Dec 2019 -- The British government has come under renewed pressure over its steadfast refusal to return the occupied Chagos Islands, despite an unequivocal ruling by the United Nations' highest court.
- After Algeria's Leadership Shakeup, Observers Look for Break With Past VOA 29 Dec 2019 -- Amid sudden changes in the upper echelons of Algeria's government, the new President Abdelmadjid Tebboune is looking to establish stability and put his stamp on the country's future.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|