03 November 2019 Military News
- US troops back at military bases in northeast Syria Press TV 03 Nov 2019 -- US troops are reportedly back in military bases in northeastern Syria which they had previously evacuated ahead of Turkey's military action against Kurdish forces in the area.
- US Military Convoy Comes Under Fire en Route From Syria to Iraq - Russian Defence Ministry Sputnik 03 Nov 2019 -- Commenting on this development, the Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation also reported that no US servicemen were injured during the attack.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Stoltenberg Says Turkey's NATO Membership Unquestionable Despite Operation in Syria Sputnik 03 Nov 2019 -- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said in an interview with the German Bild newspaper that he did not question Turkey's membership of the alliance despite Ankara's military operation in northern Syria.
- Russian Prime Minister Says US New Concept in Southeast Asia Could Weaken ASEAN Sputnik 03 Nov 2019 -- Washington's recent efforts to increase US influence in Southeast Asia by promoting its concept of a free and open Indo-Pacific region are against the core principles of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev says.
- Complete trainer aircraft set incubator of J-20 pilots: experts Global Times 03 Nov 2019 -- China's full set of domestically developed basic, intermediate and advanced trainer jets put on their first joint flight performance on Saturday, showcasing the Chinese military's capability to constantly develop pilots for the country's advanced warplanes including the J-20, experts said on Sunday.
- Iran will target interests of US, allies anywhere in case of war: Commander Press TV 03 Nov 2019 -- The spokesman for Iran's Armed Forces says in case of any aggression against the Islamic Republic, Iranian forces will target the interests of the United States and its allies at any place and on any territory.
- Saudi Royal Naval Forces Take Part in Multinational Mixed International Naval Drill IMX19 SPA 03 Nov 2019 -- The Saudi Royal Naval Forces took part in the multinational mixed international naval drill IMX19, launched today from the Bahrain-based US Naval Forces Central Command, with the participation of 56 countries and seven international organizations.
- Remarks by President Trump Before Marine One Departure The White House 03 Nov 2019
- Scholars, officials of China's neighboring countries discuss boundary cooperation in Beijing Global Times 03 Nov 2019 -- Boundaries for some may just be a few lines on a map far away from their daily lives. When crossing a border there is no line between one country and another. The landscape might even be the same. Borders, however, have been seen as the "life line" for a country's sovereignty, territorial integrity, stability and prosperity.
- Six Saudi soldiers killed in clashes with Yemeni forces in border areas Press TV 03 Nov 2019 -- Yemeni army soldiers and fighters from allied Popular Committees have killed at least six Saudi soldiers during separate attacks in the kingdom's southwestern border regions as part of their retaliatory raids against the Riyadh regime's deadly campaign against their crisis-hit country.
- Govt. forces deploy in new northeastern Syria areas near Turkish border Press TV 03 Nov 2019 -- Syrian government forces have been deployed to new areas in the country's northeastern province of Hasakah as part of recent reinforcements in the face of a cross-border incursion by Turkish army troops and their allied militants against the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG).
- US trying to stir chaos in region to seize oil: Larijani Press TV 03 Nov 2019 -- Iran's Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani says the United States has been seeking to foment turmoil in the region in a bid to achieve its "ominous" goal of plundering its oil reserves.
- Iran Signs Deal To Help Rebuild Syria's Electricity Infrastructure RFE/RL 03 Nov 2019 -- Iran has signed a preliminary agreement with Syria to help rebuild the war-torn Arab country's electrical infrastructure, Iranian state media report.
- Israeli Minister Not Ruling Out Military Operation in Gaza After Weekend Fire Exchange Sputnik 03 Nov 2019 -- Recently, the situation near the Gaza Strip border escalated, as Israeli fighter jets struck targets in Gaza in response to the recent rockets launched from near the border.
- New Explosion Reported in Mali, At Least Two Servicemen Killed Sputnik 03 Nov 2019 -- The day before, the Elysee Palace said in a statement that a French soldier was killed that day in the morning in Mali as an explosive device detonated near his armoured vehicle.
- Islamabad Rejects New Delhi's Map Showing Pakistan-Administered Kashmir as Part of India Sputnik 03 Nov 2019 -- A day after New Delhi issued the map, Islamabad dismissed it as "incorrect, legally untenable and void."
- UN chief voices 'deep concerns' over plight of Rohingya refugees Press TV 03 Nov 2019 -- UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has voiced concern over the plight of Muslim Rohingya refugees, most of them stranded in Bangladesh, urging Myanmar to ensure their "safe" return home.
- Whistle-Blower Ready To Answer Republican Questions, Lawyer Says RFE/RL 03 Nov 2019 -- The U.S. intelligence official whose whistle-blower complaint led to a House impeachment inquiry against President Donald Trump has agreed to answer written questions from Republicans.
- Reports: Trump Team Pressed Ukraine Hacking Theory As Early As 2016 RFE/RL 03 Nov 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, pressed the idea as early as summer 2016 that it was Ukraine - not Russia - that was responsible for the hacking of the Democratic National Committee (DNC) computer server, newly released documents show.
- Whistleblower Behind Trump Impeachment Inquiry Offers Written Testimony to Republicans Sputnik 03 Nov 2019 -- This comes after US President Donald Trump tweeted earlier on Saturday that "the whistleblower got it so wrong that he must come forward."
- Bannon Claims Jared Kushner Met With Mystery 'Russian Billionaire' on Megayacht off Croatia in 2016 Sputnik 03 Nov 2019 -- As part of a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit by CNN and BuzzFeed News, the Justice Department has released hundreds of pages of previously-unseen interview notes, emails and other documents from Robert Mueller's investigation.
- Impeachment Whistleblower Agrees to Answer Republican Questions VOA 03 Nov 2019 -- The lawyer for the whistleblower whose serious concerns about the Trump - Ukraine telephone call which set off the House impeachment probe says his client has agreed to answer written questions from Republicans.
- Smugglers Cutting Through Trump's 'Virtually Impenetrable' Border Wall VOA 03 Nov 2019 -- Smuggling gangs in Mexico are cutting through the "virtually impenetrable" wall President Donald Trump is building along the U.S.-Mexico border to keep migrants and drugs out of the country, but Trump says he is not concerned.
- Venezuela reciprocates El Salvador's expulsion of diplomats Press TV 03 Nov 2019 -- Venezuela says it is expelling El Salvador's diplomats in a tit-for-tat move that comes a day after San Salvador said it had given Venezuelan diplomats two days' time to leave.
- El Salvador gives Venezuelan diplomats 48 hours to leave, backs Guaido Press TV 03 Nov 2019 -- El Salvador has expelled Caracas' diplomats, voicing support for a bid by the senior Venezuelan opposition figure, Juan Guaido, to grab power from the country's elected government.
- Talks with US futile because it will not make any concessions: Ayatollah Khamenei ISNA 03 Nov 2019 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has underlined the need for a ban on negotiation with the US, saying it is one of the ways to block the American infiltration.
- Ayatollah Khamenei wants 'repeated ban' on negotiation with US Press TV 03 Nov 2019 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has underlined the need for a ban on negotiation with the US, saying it is one of the ways to block American infiltration.
- Iranian Supreme Leader Rules Out Talks With Washington RFE/RL 03 Nov 2019 -- Iran's supreme leader said Tehran would keep in place its ban on holding any talks with the United States.
- Iranian Leader Warns Tehran Will Not Yield to US Pressure, Rules Out Talks With Washington - Reports Sputnik 03 Nov 2019 -- Iranian First Vice President Eshaq Jahangiri said the day before that US sanctions imposed on Iran would push the development of global terrorism in the future.
- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman confirms presidential letter to PGCC states ISNA 03 Nov 2019 -- Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran, Seyyed Abbas Mousavi confirms that President Hassan Rouhani has sent separate letters to the Persian Gulf Cooperation Council (PGCC) Member States and Iraq.
- Carrie Lam to meet Vice Premier Han, discuss helping HK talent develop on mainland Global Times 03 Nov 2019 -- Chaos and violence again descended on Hong Kong this weekend as the city's festering social unrest entered its 22nd week.
- Protesters vandalize Xinhua office, public property during night of violence Press TV 03 Nov 2019 -- Hong Kong protesters have set fire to metro stations and vandalized buildings, including an office of China's official news agency Xinhua, during a night of violent protests after Beijing vowed to tighten control over the restive city.
- Police Use Tear Gas Against Hong Kong Protesters Again Amid Worst Violence in Weeks - Reports Sputnik 03 Nov 2019 -- Police used tear gas against protesters who hurled hard objects at law enforcement officers in Tai Koo, Hong Kong, on Sunday, as the region saw the worst violence in weeks over the weekend, the RTHK broadcaster reported.
- Protesters, Politician Attacked in Hong Kong Demonstrations VOA 03 Nov 2019 -- A pro-democracy politician and four other people were injured when a knife-wielding man attacked protesters in Hong Kong Sunday.
- China launches new 3D mapping satellite Global Times 03 Nov 2019 -- China on Sunday launched an advanced 3D mapping satellite that can clearly see small country lanes from orbit, and will play a vital role in supporting urban and agricultural development.
- China launches new Earth observation satellite People's Daily 03 Nov 2019 -- China on Sunday launched a new Earth observation satellite, Gaofen-7, which will play an important role in land surveying and mapping, urban and rural construction and statistical investigation, according to the China National Space Administration (CNSA).
- Saudi Aramco Announces Initial Public Offering on Tadawul SPA 03 Nov 2019 -- Saudi Aramco, the world's largest integrated oil and gas company, announced today, in the presence of its President of the Board of Directors Yasir bin Othman Al-Rumayyan, and its Chairman and CEO Amin Hassan Al-Nasser, its intention to float some of its shares with an initial public offering on the Main Market of Tadawul.
- Saudi Aramco announces intention to offer IPOs on domestic stock market SPA 03 Nov 2019 -- Saudi Aramco, the world's largest integrated oil and gas company on Sunday announced its intention to proceed with an initial public offering (IPO) on Riyadh's Tadawul Stock Exchange in the presence of Yasir Othman Al Rumayyan, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Saudi Aramco and Amin Hassan. Nasser, President and Chief Executive Officer of Saudi Aramco.
- Saudi Aramco's Net Profit for 9 Months Amounts to $68Bln - Company Sputnik 03 Nov 2019 -- The net profit of Saudi Arabia's state oil company Saudi Aramco for the first nine months of this year amounted to $68 billion, revenue for the same period reached $244 billion, the company's report indicated.
- Saudi Arabia's Capital Market Authority Approves IPO of Oil Giant Aramco Sputnik 03 Nov 2019 -- The move comes a day after Aramco's IPO was greenlighted by Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, in line with his plan to shake up the kingdom's economy and diversify away from oil.
- Iraqis rally to reaffirm commitment to religious leadership's stand on calm Press TV 03 Nov 2019 -- People have held rallies in various Iraqi cities to support the position of top clerical leadership, especially Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, that any protests in the country should be invariably peaceful.
- Iraqi PM urges safety of protesters as unrest continues Press TV 03 Nov 2019 -- The situation in Iraq remains tense. Prime Minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi has gathered the country's security chiefs for a meeting, and called for measures to ensure the safety of protesters amid an ongoing wave of anti-government demonstrations.
- Anti-government Protests Escalate in Iraq VOA 03 Nov 2019 -- Anti-government protesters in Baghdad shut down roads and government offices in the Iraqi capital on Sunday, escalating a month-long string of rallies demanding political change.
- Johnson's position is likely to embolden Scottish radicals Press TV 03 Nov 2019 -- Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has just ruled out a second Scottish independence referendum.
- Nigel Farage appears reluctant to put his popularity to the test Press TV 03 Nov 2019 -- Nigel Farage announced today that he will not be contesting the upcoming general election scheduled for December 12.
- Sturgeon sets out independent Scotland's foreign policy Press TV 03 Nov 2019 -- The leader of the Scottish National Party (SNP), Nicola Sturgeon, told a pro-independence rally yesterday that "Scotland's future" must be placed in "Scotland's hands".
- Brexit Party Leader Farage Chooses Not to Run in UK Election Sputnik 03 Nov 2019 -- Earlier this week, British MPs approved Prime Minister Boris Johnson's proposal to hold a snap election on 12 December. Prior to that, the European Union agreed on another Brexit delay until 31 January.
- Thousands of Lebanese rally in support of President Aoun amid anti-government protests Press TV 03 Nov 2019 -- Thousands of people in Lebanon have held a rally in support of President Michel Aoun, after more than two weeks of anti-government demonstrations that ultimately forced Prime Minister Saad Hariri to step down over a troubled economy.
- Pro- and Anti-Government Demonstrations Compete in Lebanese Capital VOA 03 Nov 2019 -- Supporters of Lebanon's embattled President Michel Aoun gathered outside the presidential palace in Beirut, while anti-government protesters continued to press demands outside parliament for the political elite to step down and an end to traditional sectarian politics. It is still unclear what Lebanon's new government will look like and whether it will contain independent members, as demanded by demonstrators.
- Chinese premier calls for intensified SCO cooperation People's Daily 03 Nov 2019 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang on Saturday called on member states of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) to intensify cooperation in areas of security, openness and trade, connectivity, innovation and the sharing of development achievements in order to further promote the SCO cooperation.
- 5 candidates approved to run for Algerian presidential elections People's Daily 03 Nov 2019 -- The Algerian Independent Election Monitoring Authority (NIEMA) on Saturday announced that five candidates out of 23 have been approved to run for the presidential election on Dec. 12.
- Spain's far-right to double seats in upcoming vote: Poll Press TV 03 Nov 2019 -- Spain's far-right Vox Party is set to double the number of its parliamentary seats in the country's general elections, which are due next week, a new poll suggests.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|