27 October 2019 Military News
- Statement by Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper on the Operation to Capture or Kill Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi DoD 27 Oct 2019
- Statement from the President on the Death of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi The White House 27 Oct 2019
- Remarks by President Trump on the Death of ISIS Leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi The White House 27 Oct 2019
- IS Leader Dead, Trump Announces VOA 27 Oct 2019 -- A U.S. military special forces operation in northwest Syria successfully targeted and "violently eliminated" Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, President Donald Trump announced in a nationally televised Sunday morning address.
- Trump Cloaked Baghdadi Raid in Secrecy for Fear of Leaks VOA 27 Oct 2019 -- President Donald Trump said Sunday he cloaked the raid to kill Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in secrecy, telling only his closest advisers, two Republican lawmakers and no opposition Democrats in advance, for fear of leaks about the operation.
- US Military Acted Quickly on Intel to Capture or Kill Baghdadi VOA 27 Oct 2019 -- Defense Secretary Mark Esper and Vice President Mike Pence said late-breaking intelligence gave special forces the opening they needed to carry out the attack on Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi after President Trump approved the raid earlier this past week.
- IS leader Baghdadi dead: Trump Global Times 27 Oct 2019 -- US President Donald Trump announced on Sunday that fugitive Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi died in a raid by US special forces in northwest Syria, in a major blow to the jihadist group.
- 'He died like a dog': Trump details Daesh leader al-Baghdadi's last moments Press TV 27 Oct 2019 -- US President Donald Trump says Daesh leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi blew himself up, dying "like a dog," and "like a coward" after American forces trapped him inside a dead-end tunnel.
- Daesh chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi allegedly killed Press TV 27 Oct 2019 -- The United States military has conducted a special operations raid against Daesh Takfiri chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, Newsweek reports.
- Trump Says 'Coward' IS Leader Baghdadi Killed In Lightning Raid RFE/RL 27 Oct 2019 -- The United States says Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the leader of the Islamic State (IS) extremist group, has been killed in a lightning U.S. raid in northwestern Syria after being tracked for several days.
- US President Donald Trump Confirms Daesh Leader Baghdadi Has Been Eliminated Sputnik 27 Oct 2019 -- On Saturday night, the president left a mysterious tweet, writing that "something very big has just happened," with the White House later saying he would make an announcement on Sunday morning.
- US Coordinated Military Operation in Syria's Idlib With Ankara - Turkish Defence Ministry Sputnik 27 Oct 2019 -- The Turkish Defence Ministry, amid reports on the liquidation of the Daesh* terror group's leader Abu Bakr Baghdadi, said Sunday that the US and Turkish military exchanged information before an operation in the Syrian province of Idlib.
- Daesh Leader Baghdadi Reportedly Killed by US Special Forces in Raid Approved by Trump Sputnik 27 Oct 2019 -- Earlier Saturday, US President Trump cryptically tweeted that "something very big has just happened." Later that day, an undisclosed "major statement" by the president was announced for Sunday morning.
- On the Death of Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi US Dept. of State 27 Oct 2019 -- "This is a great day for United States, the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS, and people all across the world who have suffered far too long from the cruelty of terrorism. ISIS's leader, Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi, met the fate that he long-deserved, taken down during a raid on his hideout by U.S. Special Forces in northwest Syria last night."
- US Peace Envoy Makes First Afghan Visit After Trump Ended Taliban Talks VOA 27 Oct 2019 -- The U.S. chief peace negotiator for Afghanistan met leaders in Kabul Sunday after arriving in the country on an unannounced visit, his first since President Donald Trump halted talks with Taliban insurgents on ending the Afghan war.
- U.S. Peace Envoy In Kabul For First Time Since Peace Deal With Taliban Collapsed RFE/RL 27 Oct 2019 -- U.S. peace envoy Zalmay Khalilzad has held talks with Afghan leaders in the capital, Kabul, his first trip back since U.S. President Donald Trump ended talks with the Taliban aimed at ending America's longest war.
- US envoy in Kabul for first time since Taliban talks collapsed Press TV 27 Oct 2019 -- The US 'peace' envoy has met with senior officials in Kabul following his arrival in Afghanistan on an unannounced visit, his first since President Donald Trump halted talks with the Taliban on ending nearly two decades of conflict.
- Afghanistan's Presidential Election Results Delayed Until November RFE/RL 27 Oct 2019 -- Afghanistan's electoral authorities said preliminary results from last month's presidential election will be delayed for weeks.
- Afghan Troops Clash With Pakistani Forces on Durand Line – Source Sputnik 27 Oct 2019 -- The Afghan troops clashed on Sunday on the Durand Line in the eastern Afghan province of Kunar, according to a source.
- Villagers: US Drone Strike in Somalia Kills Frankincense Collectors VOA 27 Oct 2019 -- A U.S. drone strike intended to hit an Islamic State (IS) hideout in Somalia's northeastern region of Puntland mistakenly killed two frankincense collectors, according to local elders and a survivor who spoke Saturday with VOA.
Defense Policy / Programs
- X-37B breaks record, lands after 780 days in orbit US Air Force 27 Oct 2019 -- The Air Force's X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle Mission 5 successfully landed at NASA's Kennedy Space Center Shuttle Landing Facility Oct. 27, 2019 at 3:51 a.m.
- Trump Reportedly Signs Document Signalling US' Intention to Withdraw From Open Skies Treaty Sputnik 27 Oct 2019 -- The yet-unconfirmed move would mark yet another blow to the framework of confidence building measures that were put in place in the immediate aftermath of the cold war.
- Report: Trump Signs Document Moving U.S. Closer To Leaving Open Skies Accord RFE/RL 27 Oct 2019 -- The Wall Street Journal reports that U.S. President Donald Trump has signed a document signaling his administration's intent to withdraw from the Treaty on Open Skies, the latest in a series of major arms control and disarmament accords that are on the verge of collapse.
- USS Gonzalez Returns from Deployment NNS 27 Oct 2019 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Gonzalez (DDG 66) returned to its homeport of Norfolk, Oct. 26, 2019.
- USS John S. McCain's Return to Warfighting Readiness NNS 27 Oct 2019 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) completed her necessary repairs and is underway to conduct comprehensive at sea testing.
- Navy Commissions Littoral Combat Ship Indianapolis NNS 27 Oct 2019 -- The Navy's newest littoral combat ship, USS Indianapolis (LCS 17), was commissioned Oct. 26 at Burns Harbor.
- USS McCampbell Conducts All Female Navigation Evolution NNS 27 Oct 2019 -- Female sailors assigned to the Navy's forward-deployed Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS McCampbell (DDG 85) executed their first all-female "Sea and Anchor" detail, while pulling into Sembawang, Singapore, Oct. 17.
- Trump Ordered Mattis to 'Screw Amazon' on Pentagon Contract, New Book Claims Sputnik 27 Oct 2019 -- Microsoft won the Pentagon's $10bn cloud computing contract Jedi, part of a broader digital modernisation of the Pentagon on 25 October, beating Amazon, after a contracting process that had been mired in conflict of interest allegations and was delayed after US President Trump voiced concerns about the fairness of the competition.
- Russian Ambassador to US Vows Retaliation if Missiles Covered in INF Treaty Deployed in Europe Sputnik 27 Oct 2019 -- The ambassador called the situation "the most dangerous possibility regarding INF [treaty]," adding that this possibility will demand that Russia responds accordingly.
- NATO 'Respects' Serbia's Joint Military Drills With Russia RFE/RL 27 Oct 2019 -- NATO said it "respects" Serbia's decision to hold joint air military exercises with Russia in which the Russian S-400 and Pantsir-S air-defense missile systems are being deployed.
- China develops flying wing-designed stealth transport drone Global Times 27 Oct 2019 -- A Chinese company recently showcased an in-development stealth transport drone that features a hybrid of conventional and flying wing design, which could represent a trend for future large transport planes, analysts said on Sunday.
- Coalition Command announces reposition of Coalition forces in Aden to become under the Kingdom's command and redeployment to conform with requirements of current operations SPA 27 Oct 2019 -- The Coalition Command announces that under its continues efforts to coordinate military and security operation plans and enhance humanitarian and relief action in Yemen, in addition to strengthening the efforts to secure waterways adjacent to Yemeni coastlines, Coalition forces have been repositioned in (Aden) to become under the Kingdom's command, and redeployed to conform with requirements of current operations.
- UK Government statement on death of Daesh's leader UK FCO 27 Oct 2019 -- UK Government reaction to the announcement of the death of Daesh's leader.
- SDF Commander Says Baghdadi Killed in Joint Operation After 5 Months of Intelligence Work Sputnik 27 Oct 2019 -- Abu Bakr Baghdadi, the leader of the Islamic State terrorist group (banned in Russia), was killed in a joint operation after five months of the intelligence work, the commander of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, Mazloum Abdi, said on Sunday.
- Seven Bodies Discovered at Site of Baghdadi's Alleged Death in Syria's Idlib - Reports Sputnik 27 Oct 2019 -- Seven bodies were found at the site of the Daesh* terrorist group leader's alleged death, Anadolu news agency reported Sunday, adding that eight helicopters and two drones were involved in the military operation against Abu Bakr Baghdadi last night.
- Daesh Reportedly Names New Leader Following US Operation to Eliminate Baghdadi Sputnik 27 Oct 2019 -- On 27 October, US President Donald Trump confirmed media reports that Daesh* terrorist group leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi died as a result of a US Special Forces operation in Syria's Idlib province.
- Iraqi state TV says Daesh leader killed, airs footage of raid Press TV 27 Oct 2019 -- Iraqi state television has aired footage of what it said was a raid in Syria that reportedly killed Daesh leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
- Al-Baghdadi Profile VOA 27 Oct 2019 -- For Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the high point of his life may have come in 2014, when he stood in a flowing black robe before worshippers in a mosque in Mosul, the northern Iraqi city Islamic State had captured, and declared that he was the caliph, the political and religious leader of the global Muslim community.
- US Allies Glad al-Baghdadi is Dead, but Say ISIS Still a Threat VOA 27 Oct 2019 -- U.S. allies around the world are calling the killing of Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi a major blow, but say ISIS is still a terrorist threat.
- Islamic State Prepared for Life without its Caliph VOA 27 Oct 2019 -- The United States is promising there will be no let-up in its pursuit of the Islamic State terror group despite the death of self-declared caliph Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, in what is being described as a "daring and dangerous" nighttime raid in northern Syria.
- Defense Ministry: Russia has no reliable information on operation against Baghdadi Press TV 27 Oct 2019 -- Moscow says has no reliable information on a special operations raid carried out by the United States military, which killed Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the leader of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group, raising doubt about what US President Donald Trump had earlier announced.
- Russia: US move to control Syrian oil fields 'banditry' Press TV 27 Oct 2019 -- Russia has slammed as "banditry" plans by the United States to deploy more forces in Syria, accusing the administration of President Donald Trump of seeking to seize the Arab country's oil resources under false pretexts.
- Russian Military Police in Syria Receive Dozens of Armored Vehicles - Defence Ministry Sputnik 27 Oct 2019 -- The Russian Defence Ministry delivered dozens of Tigr and Typhoon-U armored vehicles to the military police at the Khmeymim Air Base in Syria, the ministry's press service said.
- Syrian Foreign Ministry Welcomes Withdrawal of SDF Troops From Syrian-Turkish Border Sputnik 27 Oct 2019 -- The Syrian Foreign Ministry welcomed on Sunday the withdrawal of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces from the Syrian-Turkish border.
- Syria welcomes pullout of Kurdish armed groups to depth of 30 km from Turkish border Press TV 27 Oct 2019 -- Damascus welcomes the withdrawal of Kurdish armed groups in Syria's northwestern regions to a depth of 30 kilometers from the Turkish border as part of a Russia-Turkey deal, saying the pullout rids Ankara of the pretext to keep up its acts of aggression against the Arab country.
- Syrian forces exchange fire with Turkish troops near Ra's al-Ayn Press TV 27 Oct 2019 -- Clashes have been reported near Syria's key northeastern border town of Ra's al-Ayn as Turkish soldiers and Syrian government forces engaged in an exchange of gunfire there.
- Under Pressure at Home, Arakan Army Says it Will Take Fight to Myanmar Heartland Radio Free Asia 27 Oct 2019 -- The Arakan Army (AA) has announced it would expand operations from Rakhine state, where it is under heavy government army pressure in its nearly year-old fight for greater autonomy, to the heartland of Myanmar with the help of allied ethnic armies.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Inspects Myohyangsan Medical Appliances Factory KCNA 27 Oct 2019 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea, chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and supreme commander of the armed forces of the DPRK, inspected the Myohyangsan Medical Appliances Factory under reconstruction.
- N Korea: Continued US hostility could lead to conflict Press TV 27 Oct 2019 -- North Korea has renewed a warning for the United States against a deadlock in the diplomatic process between the two sides, saying continuous hostilities could lead to a conflict.
- North Korea-US Tensions Possible Even Despite Good Kim-Trump Personal Relations - Official Sputnik 27 Oct 2019 -- Friendly personal relations between North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un and US President Donald Trump cannot serve as a guarantee of good relations between the countries, the chairman of the Korea-Asia Pacific Peace Committee Kim Yong Chol said on Sunday.
- New US regulations aggravate economic terrorism targeting Iran: Zarif Press TV 27 Oct 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has lashed out at the United States for pursuing double standards toward the Islamic Republic, saying new regulations adopted by the White House would only worsen economic terrorism targeting the Iranian people.
- Hong Kong sees another weekend of violence as protesters paralyze traffic, attack police officers Global Times 27 Oct 2019 -- Unrest broke out again in China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Sunday afternoon after a large group of demonstrators paralyzed traffic and blocked roads for another weekend in the Tsim Sha Tsui area.
- HK police to rehire 1,000 retired officers as unrest continues Global Times 27 Oct 2019 -- Unrest broke out again in Hong Kong for another weekend after violent protesters illegally rallied on Sunday, wearing now banned face masks, attacking the police with hard objects, paralyzing traffic and setting fires at multiple places across the city.
- Hong Kong police fire teargas at protesters in tourist district Press TV 27 Oct 2019 -- Riot police in Hong Kong have used teargas and rubber bullets to disperse protesters gathering for an unauthorized rally in a tourist district at China's financial hub, which has been grappling with political unrest for months.
- Hong Kong Police Use Water Cannons to Disperse Protesters at Unauthorized Rally - Reports Sputnik 27 Oct 2019 -- Hong Kong police deployed water cannons to disperse protesters in the popular among tourists district of Tsim Sha Tsui, the South China Morning Postreported Sunday.
- Protesters Again Take to Streets of Hong Kong VOA 27 Oct 2019 -- Police and protesters in Hong Kong clashed again Sunday, as thousands of people took to the streets for another weekend of protests.
- China shores up recovery of reusable rockets Global Times 27 Oct 2019 -- Chinese private rocket firm LandSpace conducts a long-range trial run of its reusable liquid oxygen methane engine TQ-12 on Saturday. Photo: Courtesy of LandSpace
- Protests in Iraq US Dept. of State 27 Oct 2019 -- "The United States is closely monitoring the situation in Iraq and calls on all sides to reject the cycle of violence. We extend our condolences to the families of those killed during the demonstrations this weekend. We mourn the loss of life and wish those injured a swift and full recovery."
- Iraq unrest Day 3: Counter-terror forces deployed Press TV 27 Oct 2019 -- Hundreds of Iraqi protesters have returned to the streets of the capital Baghdad to begin the third day of what began as peaceful protests against corruption but soon turned into a deadly unrest to bring down the government.
- Iraqi PM Sends Counter-Terror Force To Put Down Street Protests RFE/RL 27 Oct 2019 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi has ordered the country's elite Counter-Terrorism Service (CTS) to help put down anti-government protests that have rocked the country over the past weeks, Western news agencies are reporting.
- Iraqi Prime Minister Orders Counterterrorist Forces to Baghdad Amid Mass Protests Sputnik 27 Oct 2019 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi ordered for the country's elite counterterrorist forces to be deployed in several districts of Baghdad to guard the premises of state institutions amid ongoing violent protests, the Iraqi Counter-Terrorism Service said in a statement on Sunday.
- Iraqi PM Orders Counter-Terrorism Service to Use 'All Necessary Measures' to End Protests - Report Sputnik 27 Oct 2019 -- The protests in Iraq began on 1 October but were suspended in mid-October for pilgrimage before resuming on Friday. According to the state's High Commission for Human Rights, since the beginning of the second wave, 63 people have been killed across the country.
- Saudi Aramco-Owned Petrochemicals Giant Reveals Production Losses Caused by Houthi Drone Strikes Sputnik 27 Oct 2019 -- Saudi Arabia's oil processing facilities were hit by drone strikes last month, temporarily cutting the country's output in half, with Saudi Aramco saying production won't be fully restored until November. Yemen's Houthi militia claimed responsibility for the strikes, but Washington and Riyadh have blamed Tehran. Iran denies the claims.
- Chile's Pinera asks all ministers to resign in cabinet reshuffle after angry protests Press TV 27 Oct 2019 -- Chilean President Sebastian Pinera has asked all his cabinet ministers to step down so that he can form a new government as part of a reform plan aimed at quelling mass protests that have rocked the South American nation.
- Bolivia's Morales nixes 'political negotiation' with election rival amid protests Press TV 27 Oct 2019 -- Bolivian President Evo Morales has ruled out any "political negotiation" with his rival following disputed election results that have triggered violent protests across the country.
- United States Responds to Irregularities in Bolivia's Presidential Election US Dept. of State 27 Oct 2019
- Bulgaria's Ruling Party Leads In Major Cities For Local Elections, But With Reticent Support RFE/RL 27 Oct 2019 -- Exit polls in Bulgaria found that the ruling center-right GERB party will maintain its nationwide dominance but with less support than four years ago, following the October 27 municipal and mayoral elections.
- Congratulations on Botswana's Elections US Dept. of State 27 Oct 2019
- Uruguay Votes For New President VOA 27 Oct 2019 -- Voters in Uruguay are going to the polls Sunday to select a new president who will replace incumbent Tabare Vazquez.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|