06 October 2019 Military News
- Statement from the Press Secretary The White House 06 Oct 2019
- Taliban Prisoners Freed From Joint Afghan-US Detention in Exchange for 3 Indian Hostages VOA 06 Oct 2019 -- A group of 11 key Taliban prisoners is reported to have been released from the joint Afghan-U.S. Bagram detention facility in Afghanistan in exchange for three Indian hostages.
- US 'peace envoy' meets Taliban counterparts for first time since failed deal Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- US so-called peace envoy Zalmay Khalilzad has met with Afghanistan-based Taliban negotiators for the first time since the American president called off a seemingly imminent truce deal with the notorious militants in its bid to end its 18-year war on the terror-ravaged country.
- Taliban Vow to Continue Attacks on US Troops Until Peace Deal Reached Sputnik 06 Oct 2019 -- The Taliban* will continue attacking US troops in Afghanistan until a peace deal is sealed, Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesman for the militant group, stated.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Ronald Reagan CSG, Boxer ARG Provide Ready, Capable Forward Presence in the Indo-Pacific NNS 06 Oct 2019 -- The Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group and the Boxer Amphibious Ready Group joined forces to conduct security and stability operations in support of a free and open Indo-Pacific.
- Pompeo Inks New Defense Pact With Greece, Criticizes Russia, Iran, China RFE/RL 06 Oct 2019 -- The United States and Greece have signed an updated defense-cooperation pact, a move Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said was not aimed against any one nation in the region, including Turkey.
- Iran's Bavar-373 air defense deters US U2 fights: Dy Min IRNA 06 Oct 2019 -- Iranian Deputy Defense Minister Brigade General Ghasem Taghizadeh said on Sunday that Iranian made Bavar-373 air defense system has deterred US U2 aircraft flights over the region putting an end to its twice a day flight in the region.
- Enemy retreating in sign of victory for revolution: IRGC Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- The chief commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says the enemy is retreating in a sign of victory for revolution.
- Israel Working on Non-Aggression Treaty With Gulf States - Foreign Minister Sputnik 06 Oct 2019 -- Israeli Foreign Minister Israel Katz said on Sunday he was the initiator to sign a non-aggression treaty with the Arab countries of the Persian Gulf.
- US-backed SDF militants abduct civilians in eastern Syria Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- Forced recruitment of civilians to fight along with militants has been practiced by Kurdish-led members of the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) for the past months, and they turn to kidnapping people to that end.
- Turkey 'increases' forces along Syria border ahead of potential incursion Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- Turkey has reportedly reinforced army units at its border with northern Syria ahead of a cross-border incursion against US-sponsored and Kurdish-led militants operating in the region.
- Turkey sends military reinforcement to its border with Syria: Anadolu Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- Nine trucks loaded with armored vehicles and one bus carrying military personnel had been sent to the border district of Akcakale, located in the southeastern province of Sanliurfa, Turkey's state-owned Anadolu Agency said late on Saturday (October 5).
- Thousands protest government's peace plan in Ukraine Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- Thousands of protesters have taken to the streets in Ukraine's capital, Kiev, to protest a government peace plan that would grant broader autonomy to self-proclaimed, pro-Russia territories in the country's east.
- Thousands In Kyiv Protest President's Plan For Local Elections In Eastern Ukraine RFE/RL 06 Oct 2019 -- Thousands of demonstrators have rallied in Kyiv against President Volodymyr Zelenskiy's plan to hold local elections in eastern Ukrainian territory that is under the control of Russia-backed separatists.
- Around 10,000 Protesting 'Steinmeier Formula' for Eastern Ukrainian Peace in Kiev - Police Sputnik 06 Oct 2019 -- Thousands of protesters unhappy with a peace plan that seeks to give wider autonomy to parts of eastern Ukraine, known as the Steinmeier formula, gathered in Kiev's Independence Square on Sunday, police said.
- Kremlin Aide Sees Chances of Holding Normandy Format Summit in Near Future Rising Sputnik 06 Oct 2019 -- The Normandy Four format comprises France, Germany, Russia, and Ukraine, who in 2015 agreed on a ceasefire deal between the warring parties in the conflict in eastern Ukraine. Despite the agreement, sporadic fighting continues to take place.
- Second Whistleblower Comes Forward in Trump-Ukraine Scandal VOA 06 Oct 2019 -- A second U.S. intelligence whistleblower has come forward with concerns about U.S. President Donald Trump's July telephone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.
- 2nd whistleblower with 'first-hand' info on Trump-Ukraine scandal comes forward Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- A second whistle-blower has come forward with allegedly direct information about US President Donald Trump's attempts to pressure Ukraine into investigating his potential 2020 presidential election rival, former Vice President Joe Biden.
- Key Republican senators break with Trump over probing Biden Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- US President Donald Trump's push to investigate his top 2020 rival, Joe Biden, has been rejected by several key Republicans, who think the presidential office should not be used to smear a political opponent.
- Trump takes aim at supposed second whistleblower Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has taken aim at a second unnamed intelligence official who is reportedly considering filing a whistleblower complaint over Trump's dealings with Ukraine.
- Second Whistle-Blower Comes Forward In Trump-Ukraine Inquiry RFE/RL 06 Oct 2019 -- A second whistle-blower "with firsthand" information about U.S. President Donald Trump's dealings with Ukraine has spoken with the intelligence community's internal watchdog.
- Second Wistleblower Speaks to Intel Community Inspector General About Trump-Ukraine Case - Reports Sputnik 06 Oct 2019 -- The first complaint about the phone conversation between the US President and his Ukrainian counterpart caused a scandal this September, as House Democrats launched an impeachment procedure against Trump, claiming he violated the law in order to secure his chances in the 2020 elections.
- The Insulted And The Injured: 'Streisand Effect' Dulls Impact Of Law On Dissing Russian Authorities RFE/RL 06 Oct 2019 -- Six months after Russia adopted a controversial law imposing fines for using electronic media to insult officials or state symbols, the number of people facing charges under the measure is in decline.
- Trump told May he doubted Russia was involved in Skripal case Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- US President Donald Trump reportedly told former British Prime Minister Theresa May he was doubtful whether Russia was behind the nerve agent attack on a former Russian spy in England.
- Zarif: Europeans not in a position to quit JCPOA IRNA 06 Oct 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Sunday that the Europeans are not in a position to pull out of the nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), adding that they are not legally allowed to do so.
- Tehran to take next JCPOA steps if other parties fail to comply IRNA 06 Oct 2019 -- Spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Behruz Kamalvandi said on Sunday that Iran will continue its remedial steps concerning the commitments to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action if the parties to the JCPOA continue with their non-compliance.
- Iran to continue reducing JCPOA commitments if other sides don't take any step ISNA 06 Oct 2019 -- Spokesman for Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Behrouz Kamalvandi said Tehran will take next steps regarding reducing nuclear commitments if other sides don't implement their commitments under Iran's nuclear deal.
- Iranian, Iraqi nation connected through faith, enemy plot to sow discord will fail: Leader Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has said that the Iranian and Iraqi nations are connected through faith and that an enemy plot seeking to sow discord between the two will fail.
- Iran to open over 3,800 MW of new power plants until next summer: Official Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- An official from Iran's Ministry of Energy has said that the country would launch new power plants with more than 3,800 megawatts (MW) of capacity until next summer.
- Europeans in no position to quit nuclear deal: Iran FM Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the European signatories to a nuclear deal signed between Iran and major world powers in 2015 are legally in no position to withdraw from the accord.
- More steps to scale back Iran's nuclear commitments in offing: AEOI Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) says Tehran will continue to further scale back its commitments under a nuclear deal it clinched with major world powers in 2015 if the other signatories fail to keep their side of the bargain.
- Iran beefs up security, sues US over cyber attacks: Official Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- A senior official says Iran is taking legal action against the US over repeated cyber attacks and threats, while it is putting in place robust security measures to protect its vital infrastructure.
- Iran Says China Has Pulled Out Of South Pars Natural Gas Project RFE/RL 06 Oct 2019 -- Iranian Oil Minister Bijan Zanganeh says China's national petroleum company has pulled out of a $5 billion deal to help develop Iran's giant South Pars natural gas field in the Persian Gulf.
- Iran replaces China's CNPC with Iranian company in South Pars: Minister Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- Iran's oil minister has said that China National Petroleum Corp (CNPC) has finally been replaced with an Iranian company in development plans for the phase 11 of the South Pars gas field, a project stalled for more two years over American sanctions imposed on Tehran.
- After North Korea Walks Away From Talks, Experts See Familiar Tactic VOA 06 Oct 2019 -- North Korea has angrily walked away from working-level nuclear talks with the United States, with Pyongyang's top negotiator saying Saturday he was "greatly disappointed" with Washington's inflexible approach.
- North Korea Walks Out of Nuclear Talks, Blaming US VOA 06 Oct 2019 -- North Korea has angrily walked away from working-level nuclear talks with the United States. Pyongyang's top negotiator said he was "greatly disappointed" with Washington's inflexible approach.
- US eyes more talks with DPRK after Stockholm talks break off Global Times 06 Oct 2019 -- The US State Department on Saturday said that its delegation had "good discussions" with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) counterparts at the latest working-level talks held in the Swedish capital of Stockholm.
- Fate of DPRK-U.S. Dialogue Depends on U.S. Attitude: DPRK Foreign Ministry Spokesperson KCNA 06 Oct 2019 -- The spokesperson for the Foreign Ministry of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea issued the following statement on Sunday:
- Korean People Will Strive for DPRK-China Friendship: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 06 Oct 2019 -- Rodong Sinmun Sunday dedicates an article to the 70th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and the People's Republic of China (PRC).
- North Korea sets deadline for US to end hostilities or forgo talks Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- North Korea says it has "no desire" to continue negotiations with the United States until Washington takes "practical" steps to end hostilities, a day after working-level talks between the two countries broke down in Sweden.
- Pyongyang Sets Year-End Deadline for US to Make New Proposals on Denuclearisation Sputnik 06 Oct 2019 -- The North Korean Foreign Ministry has warned the United States that if Washington does not get rid of a "hostile policy" toward Pyongyang and does not propose a realistic solution to denuclearisation by the end of the year, North Korea will not continue negotiations.
- Xi, Kim exchange congratulations on 70 years of diplomatic ties Global Times 06 Oct 2019 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), on Sunday exchanged congratulations on the 70th anniversary of the establishment of the two countries' diplomatic ties.
- Greetings to Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un from President Xi Jinping KCNA 06 Oct 2019 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), received a message of greeting from Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China and president of the People's Republic of China (PRC), on Sunday.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Sends Greetings to President Xi Jinping KCNA 06 Oct 2019 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) and chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), sent a message of greeting to Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) and president of the People's Republic of China (PRC), on October 6.
- Xi, Kim exchange congratulations on 70 years of diplomatic ties People's Daily 06 Oct 2019 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), on Sunday exchanged congratulatory messages on the 70th anniversary of the establishment of the two countries' diplomatic ties.
- China, North Korea hail 'long-term, invincible' friendship Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- The leaders of China and North Korea have exchanged congratulatory messages and vowed to expand bilateral ties as their countries celebrate 70 years of diplomatic relations.
- Mask ban 'only timely plan' to quell violence: HK officials Global Times 06 Oct 2019 -- The government's decision to invoke emergency powers to enact the anti-mask law will not affect the city's status as a major financial hub, and there is no other timely plan but to bring in the new law to quell the continuing violence, Hong Kong SAR government officials said on Sunday.
- First day of mask ban enforcement deters rioters Global Times 06 Oct 2019 -- The first day of the anti-mask law coming into force in Hong Kong had a palpable effect as it deterred masked radicals as rioters staged hit-and-run strategies in various districts.
- HK Financial Secretary: integrating into the country's overall plan critical to Hong Kong People's Daily 06 Oct 2019 -- As social unrest has crippled Hong Kong for four months, the city's deep-seated economic and social problems that had been simmering under the surface had come to a boil. In light of this, Hong Kong Financial Secretary Paul Chan Mo-po has pledged more economic and relief measures to solve the perennial problems of Hong Kong, adding that integrating into the overall development plan of the country is becoming more and more critical to Hong Kong.
- Hong Kong's top court rejects complaint against ban on masks Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- A complaint by opposition lawmakers in Hong Kong against a government ban on protesters wearing face masks has been rejected by the city's High Court.
- Thousands Protest Mask Ban As Clashes Continue in Hong Kong Radio Free Asia 06 Oct 2019 -- Thousands of protesters crowded onto the streets of Hong Kong this weekend in two days of renewed protest at the city authorities' use of emergency powers, braving torrential rain, roadblocks and a total shutdown of the subway network.
- Thousands of People Protesting in Hong Kong Against Anti-Mask Law - Reports Sputnik 06 Oct 2019 -- Thousands of demonstrators took to the streets of Hong Kong on Sunday angered by the introduction of the law that bans wearing face masks during protests and other public gatherings, South China Morning Post reported.
- Xi's remarks celebrating PRC's 70th founding anniversary hailed by global experts People's Daily 06 Oct 2019 -- Grand celebrations marking the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China (PRC) was held at the Tian'anmen Square, Beijing on Oct. 1. Over 200,000 people took part in the celebrations and a military parade was held.
- Socialism with Chinese characteristics with global vision and a sense of humanity People's Daily 06 Oct 2019 -- As China celebrates the 70th anniversary of its founding, and global observers are casting their eyes towards the east and seeking the codes to China's development miracle which is unseen in human history, a white paper recently issued by the country's State Council Information Office stated how China made such success possible.
- Baghdad governor quits amid demonstrations in Iraqi capital Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- The governor of the Iraqi capital province of Baghdad, Fallah al-Jazairi, has stepped down in the wake of demonstrations against corruption, unemployment and poor public services in the country.
- Iraqi government vows to carry out series of planned reforms Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- The Iraqi government has pledged to carry out a series of planned reforms following an "extraordinary" session and several days after sporadic protests against alleged economic difficulties started in the Arab country.
- Iraqi Authorities: More Than 100 Killed, Thousands Wounded In Protests RFE/RL 06 Oct 2019 -- At least 104 people have been killed in less than a week of anti-government protests in Iraq, the country's Interior Ministry said on October 6.
- 'This Must Stop' -- UN Official Condemns Iraqi Violence As Protest Death Toll Nears 100 RFE/RL 06 Oct 2019 -- A top United Nations official condemned violence related to protests in Iraq, saying that "this must stop" after the reported five-day death toll surged to near 100 people.
- 104 People Killed in Iraq Protests, More Than 6,000 Injured - Interior Ministry Sputnik 06 Oct 2019 -- Waid news agency reported earlier in the day that about 113 people were killed in anti-government protests that have been sweeping Iraq since 1 October, while over 4,100 people were injured.
- Iraqi Prime Minister Mahdi Agrees to Cabinet Reshuffle Amid Protests - Reports Sputnik 06 Oct 2019 -- Iraqi Grand Ayatollah Ali Sistani earlier urged the government to take measures for fighting corruption and called upon protesters and security servicemen to refrain from violence.
- UN Calls For Prosecution of Perpetrators of Violence During Protests in Iraq Sputnik 06 Oct 2019 -- The special representative of the UN secretary-general for Iraq, Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert, called on Saturday for the prosecution of perpetrators of violence during ongoing protests in the country.
- Death Toll from Iraqi Protests Rises to Over 100 VOA 06 Oct 2019 -- The death toll in Iraq from six days of clashes between anti-government protesters and security forces rose to 104 people on Sunday, as demonstrations continued into another day.
- Kosovo holding early general elections Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- People in Kosovo are voting in early general elections, following the resignation of the Kosovan prime minister over alleged war crimes in the late 1990s.
- Two Opposition Parties Emerge As Winners Of Kosovo Parliamentary Elections RFE/RL 06 Oct 2019 -- Kosovo's two major opposition parties -- the Democratic League of Kosovo (LDK) and Vetevendosje – appear to have upended the ruling party, in power for 12 years, during snap parliamentary elections held on October 6.
- British gov't promises Brexit extension if no deal reached People's Daily 06 Oct 2019 -- The British government on Friday promised the highest court of Scotland that Prime Minister Boris Johnson will ask the European Union (EU) to extend Britain's membership if no deal is agreed on this month.
- PM makes final dash for Brexit as zero hour approaches Press TV 06 Oct 2019 -- With the clock ticking on Britain's scheduled departure from the European Union (EU), Prime Minister Boris Johnson continues to maintain that a deal may still be struck.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|