29 September 2019 Military News
- Afghanistan presidential election sees 'low turnout' Press TV 29 Sep 2019 -- The turnout in Afghanistan's presidential election has been unofficially estimated at little over two million voters, adding up to one-fifth of the total registered voters.
- Vote Count Under Way In Afghan Presidential Election After Low Turnout RFE/RL 29 Sep 2019 -- An member of Afghanistan's Independent Election Commission (IEC) has said that an unofficial estimate of voter turnout in the country's September 28 presidential election shows that a little more than 2 million voters cast ballots -- a sharp drop from roughly 7 million who turned out for the last presidential election in 2014.
- Taliban Burn Homes of Daesh Militants in Afghanistan – Official Sputnik 29 Sep 2019 -- Taliban fighters have been burning homes of militants loyal to the Daesh* terror group in the Afghan province of Kunar, a local official said on Sunday.
- Voting is Over, Now Real Challenges Begin in Afghanistan VOA 29 Sep 2019 -- Afghan officials are counting votes after Saturday's presidential election that was held amid repeated threats by the Taliban and fear of post-election chaos. Better performance by electoral and security authorities notwithstanding, fears remain that disagreements on the result might engulf the country into a destabilizing fight for power.
- China Spurns US Criticism of Economic Cooperation With Afghanistan VOA 29 Sep 2019 -- A regional Chinese diplomat has rebuked the United States for being "ignorant" about his country's ongoing key economic contributions and cooperation with Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Soviet-Made MiG-29 Jet In Slovakia's Air Force Crashes, Pilot Survives RFE/RL 29 Sep 2019 -- The Slovak Defense Ministry says a Soviet-made MiG-29 military jet from the country's air force has crashed during a training flight.
- Russia's Zircon Missile Will Be Invisible to Radar, 'Inspire Awe' in Enemies – Report Sputnik 29 Sep 2019 -- An enemy will have about 20 seconds to take down the radar-invisible hypersonic fireball travelling at 10,000 km/h, specialists say.
- Slovakia Suspends MiG-29 Flights after Fighter Jet Crash Sputnik 29 Sep 2019 -- According to preliminary police reports, the incident might have occurred due to a fuel shortage; the Slovakian authorities launched an investigation into the crash to determine its cause.
- India's Special Operations Commandos Participate in First War Games Near Border with Pakistan Sputnik 29 Sep 2019 -- India concluded its first spec ops exercises near the country's border with Pakistan on Sunday.
- Indian Air Force to Get First Domestically Developed Air-to-Air Missile Soon - DRDO Chief Sputnik 29 Sep 2019 -- India will become the fifth nation in the world after the US, Russia, France and Israel to develop and deliver its first domestic beyond visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) to the country's air force, a defence research official said.
- Yemen Rebels Claim Large Victory Over Saudi Troops RFE/RL 29 Sep 2019 -- Huthi rebels in Yemen claimed on September 29 that they captured some 2,000 Saudi troops and their equipment in a major attack along the border between the two countries.
- Saudi Arabia still pursues warmongering policy in Yemen: Iran Press TV 29 Sep 2019 -- Iran has slammed Saudi Arabia for the continuation of its warmongering policy in Yemen despite the latest proposal by the Ansarullah-led National Salvation Government that if Riyadh stops its bombardment, Yemeni forces will end drone and missile attacks on the Saudi soil in return.
- Yemeni Army releases footage of "Victory from God Almighty" op against Saudi forces Press TV 29 Sep 2019 -- Yemeni Army has released the footage of a large-scale military offensive carried out by Yemeni soldiers and allied fighters from Popular Committees in Saudi Arabia's southern border region of Najran, where three Saudi military brigades were completely destroyed and thousands of militiamen were taken into captivity.
- Yemeni Defense Minister lauds Efforts and Positions of the Coalition to Support Legitimacy in Yemen SPA 29 Sep 2019 -- Yemeni Defense Minister General Mohammed Al-Magdashi today lauded the efforts and positions of the Coalition to Support Legitimacy in Yemen in assisting the Yemeni people and standing by the side of the Yemeni national army in the battle for joint interests to repulse dangers and ward off plots being designed by enemies to destroy Yemen's security and stability as well as that of the region.
- Command of Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen: Houthi terrorist militia fired a ballistic missile from Sana'a Governorate using civilian facilities for launching, the missile fell inside Saada Governorate SPA 29 Sep 2019 -- Spokesman of the Coalition Forces "Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen" Colonel Turki Al-Maliki stated that the Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia fired a ballistic missile from Sana'a Governorate on Sunday morning 29/9/2019, using civilian facilities for the launch, but it fell afterwards in Saada Governorate, inside the Yemeni territory.
- Arab Coalition Says Houthis Used Civilian Facility to Fire Missile – Reports Sputnik 29 Sep 2019 -- Houthi rebels used civilian infrastructure to launch a ballistic missile at Saudi Arabia on Sunday, which fell in northern Yemen, the Arab coalition spokesman was cited as saying by Saudi state media.
- US-backed SDF militants abduct 100s of civilians in northeastern Syria Press TV 29 Sep 2019 -- Kurdish-led militants from the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have reportedly kidnapped hundreds of people in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah, as the terrorists continue to perpetrate criminal and abusive practices against ordinary citizens in areas under their control.
- Turkey downs unidentified drone on Syria border: Defense ministry Press TV 29 Sep 2019 -- The Turkish Defense Ministry says the country's air force has shot down an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) near the Syrian border after it violated Turkey's airspace multiple times.
- Turkey Shoots Down Unidentified Drone That Violated Its Air Space Six Times From Syria - Photo Sputnik 29 Sep 2019 -- The Turkish Defence Ministry said in a statement that an unidentified drone crossed its border with Syria in the western region of the country, entering its airspace six times.
- Egyptian forces kill 15 militants in North Sinai raid Press TV 29 Sep 2019 -- Security forces in Egypt have killed 15 militants in a raid in the country's restive region of Sinai Peninsula.
- Pakistan Breaches Ceasefire Along the Line of Control - Indian Media Sputnik 29 Sep 2019 -- Tensions between India and Pakistan have intensified in recent months, with both nations exchanging fire along the Line of Control in Kashmir. Both parties blame each other for violations of the armistice.
- Cameroon IDPs, War Victims Call for Sincere Dialogue to End Their Suffering VOA 29 Sep 2019 -- Thousands of people affected by the separatist war that has killed at least 2,000 people in Cameroon's English-speaking regions have been on the streets calling on the government to be sincere about the dialogue for peace that is to begin September 30, so they can go back to their homes. A thousand people have been in front of public buildings for three days.
- Ongoing Crises in Somalia Impede Progress Toward Stability VOA 29 Sep 2019 -- A U.N. Human Rights Expert warns a host of natural and man-made disasters is impeding Somalia's efforts to stabilize the country and improve conditions for its population. The U.N. human rights council examined the expert's report this past week.
- Discomfort grows among Trump proponents amid Ukraine scandal Press TV 29 Sep 2019 -- US Republican lawmakers are reportedly showing signs of discomfort in face of President Donald Trump's intensifying impeachment battle with rival Democratic legislators, even though they still display general support for the country's embattled president.
- U.S. Congressional Democrats To Seek Transcripts Of Trump's Putin Conversations RFE/RL 29 Sep 2019 -- The chairman of the U.S. House Intelligence Committee has said he will seek access to transcripts of President Donald Trump's telephone conversations with foreign leaders, including Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- Trump Calls Ukraine-Related Impeachment Probe 'Greatest Scam' RFE/RL 29 Sep 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has described a Ukraine-related impeachment inquiry launched against him as "the greatest scam in the history of American politics."
- Trump meets US pro-gun lobby chief to discuss financial backing amid scandal Press TV 29 Sep 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has met with the chief of the country's notorious pro-gun lobby National Rifle Association (NRA) to discuss how the group could extend financial assistance to the president as he faces another political scandal.
- Schiff: Intelligence Committee to Hear from 'Whistleblower' VOA 29 Sep 2019 -- The Democratic chairman of the House Intelligence Committee says it has reached an agreement to hear from a whistleblower whose whose complaint that has sparked an impeachment inquiry of President Donald Trump.
- Russian Opposition Stages New Moscow Rally After Summer Of Protests RFE/RL 29 Sep 2019 -- Tens of thousands of Russians braved cold, wet autumn weather to jam a central Moscow square as opposition groups sought to regain momentum following a summer of demonstrations that targeted both local elections and Russia's broader political system.
- Thousands of Anti-Kremlin Protesters Turn Out, Demanding End of Political Repression VOA 29 Sep 2019 -- The drizzle had stopped by the time anti-corruption crusader Alexei Navalny bounded to the stage to cheers in a packed downtown Moscow square, where at least 20,000 anti-government protesters assembled to demand an end to prosecutions tied to earlier mass protests.
- Kim Jae Ryong Inspects Several Units KCNA 29 Sep 2019 -- Kim Jae Ryong, member of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea, member of the State Affairs Commission of the DPRK and premier of the Cabinet, inspected several units in the field of national economy.
- DPRK Will Further Strengthen Friendly and Cooperative Relations with NAM Member States: Head of Its Delegation KCNA 29 Sep 2019 -- Head of a delegation of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea made a speech at NAM Foreign Ministerial Meeting on September 26 during the 74th Session of the UN General Assembly.
- Iran's foreign minister slams Europe for taking similar stance as US against Iran Press TV 29 Sep 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has lambasted Germany, France and Britain -- three of the European signatories to the 2015 Iran nuclear deal -- for echoing statements and claims made by the United States regarding the Islamic Republic.
- Iran's resistance reverses US maximum pressure IRNA 29 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Minister of Defense and Logistics of the Armed Forces Brigadier General Amir Hatami said on Sunday that Iran's resistance reversed the US maximum pressure to humiliate themselves.
- Iran's resistance turning enemy's maximum pressure to maximum begging: Defence Minister ISNA 29 Sep 2019 -- Iran's Minister of Defense Brigadier General Amir Hatami stressed on Sunday that resistance turns the enemy's maximum pressure to maximum begging.
- Iran's monthly capacity for gasoline export could top 3mn tons: Official Press TV 29 Sep 2019 -- A senior Iranian oil ministry official says monthly capacity for exports of gasoline could reach three million tons.
- Iran will give strong response to slightest act of aggression: Defense minister Press TV 29 Sep 2019 -- Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami says the Islamic Republic will give a strong response to the slightest act of aggression.
- Israel, Arab states coordinating anti-Iran efforts: Tel Aviv's UN envoy Press TV 29 Sep 2019 -- Israel's ambassador to the United Nations says the regime and various Arab countries have been working together at the UN and elsewhere against Iran.
- US 'won't be able to finish' war against Iran: Zarif Press TV 29 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the United States has already initiated a cyber war against Iran, but it could not "finish" a full-fledged war if it started one against the country.
- Saudi Minister Adel al-Jubeir: 'Appeasing Iran' Fuels Tehran's 'Aggressive Behavior' Sputnik 29 Sep 2019 -- Riyadh claimed that the projectiles that earlier in September struck two key Saudi Aramco oil production facilities in Abqaiq and Khurais were produced in Iran and were fired from the direction of Iranian territory.
- HK govt condemns Sunday rampage of violence, arson Global Times 29 Sep 2019 -- Black-clad protesters set fire to places across Hong Kong Sunday, following an illegal gathering kicking off at the Causeway Bay toward Admiralty. Such violent scenarios have continued over past months, putting the city on edge.
- Multiple measures taken by Hong Kong to boost economy People's Daily 29 Sep 2019 -- A number of measures have been taken by the government of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) to support enterprises, ensure employment and alleviate the pressure of local people, according to Chief Executive of the HKSAR Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor.
- Protesters clash with security forces in Hong Kong ahead of China's national day Press TV 29 Sep 2019 -- Protesters in Hong Kong have once again clashed with security forces, shortly after a night of violence in the semi-autonomous Chinese region.
- Hong Kong Police Fire Tear Gas at Protesters as Chaos Erupts in Wan Chai Sputnik 29 Sep 2019 -- Police repeatedly fired tear gas and rubber bullets at a crowd in Hong Kong's Wan Chai area after crowds carrying foreign flags marched toward the government headquarters on Sunday.
- Hong Kong Police Hope for Government's Assistance in Easing Public Pressure Sputnik 29 Sep 2019 -- Facing growing anger from the general public in Hong Kong amid ongoing protests, the city's police officers hope that the local government could find solutions to change the public's negative perception of them.
- 11 of Taiwan's allies speak up at UN debate: MOFA CNA 29 Sep 2019 -- Representatives from four of Taiwan's diplomatic allies spoke out for the country at the General Debate of the United Nations General Assembly in New York Saturday, bringing the number of Taiwan's diplomatic allies that have done so to 11, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said Sunday.
- Royal Advisers: The Queen Isn't Amused VOA 29 Sep 2019 -- Despite a personal apology from beleaguered Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Buckingham Palace sources say Queen Elizabeth is deeply frustrated at being drawn into the political firestorm raging over Brexit.
- White Supremacists Lead New Wave of Foreign Fighters VOA 29 Sep 2019 -- A new class of foreign fighter is on the move, flocking by the thousands to a war zone, either looking for adventure or hoping to strike a blow for their cause, in ways that are increasingly getting the attention of Western intelligence officials.
- Cuba blasts US 'criminal' sanctions on energy sector Press TV 29 Sep 2019 -- Cuba has censured the United States for its "criminal" sanctions on the island country's energy sector.
- '1 Out Of 5 Million' Serbian Protests Resume, Shine Spotlight On Plagiarism RFE/RL 29 Sep 2019 -- Serbian anti-government protesters marched through the streets of the nation's capital for the 43rd consecutive week on September 28.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|