28 September 2019 Military News
- Polls close in Afghanistan amid reports of sporadic attacks Press TV 28 Sep 2019 -- Voting in Afghanistan's presidential election has ended amid complaints of irregularities and serious security incidents in several provinces.
- Afghan voters go to elect next president amid high security measures Press TV 28 Sep 2019 -- Voting has begun in Afghanistan's presidential election, with over nine million registered voters potentially heading to the polls amid tight security measures.
- Five Takeaways From Afghanistan's Presidential Election RFE/RL 28 Sep 2019 -- Afghans have voted in an election that was twice-delayed and widely expected to be scrapped until just weeks before the vote.
- Pakistan Says Will Keep Afghan Border Crossings Open RFE/RL 28 Sep 2019 -- Pakistan has reversed a decision to close all border crossings with Afghanistan and will keep facilities open on September 28 as the war-wracked country goes to the polls for its presidential election.
- At Least 32 Killed in 113 Attacks Across Afghanistan on Election Day - Reports Sputnik 28 Sep 2019 -- At least 32 people were reportedly killed and 123 more injured in 113 attacks across Afghanistan on the day of the presidential election. According to the Pajhwok news agency, the Taliban Islamist movement claimed responsibility for at least 64 attacks.
- At Least Two Killed, Dozens Injured in Missile Attacks in Afghanistan Amid Presidential Election Sputnik 28 Sep 2019 -- Nationals of Afghanistan vote on Saturday to elect the country's president in an election that saw around 9.5 million people registered for casting their ballots. However, the election process was repeatedly disrupted by the attacks launched by the Taliban group which vowed to disrupt the vote.
- Afghan Presidential Polls Close Amid Signs of Low Turnout VOA 28 Sep 2019 -- Seemingly low voter turnout marked presidential elections in Afghanistan Saturday, even as security forces managed to maintain relative calm across the country, despite dire warnings from the Taliban.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russia's newest drone performs first joint flight with Su-57 fighter Global Times 28 Sep 2019 -- Russia's Okhotnik (Hunter) heavy strike drone made its first joint test flight with a fifth-generation Su-57 fighter jet, which lasted more than 30 minutes, the Russian Defense Ministry said Friday.
- Two Planes With Russian Military Technical Personnel Arrive in Venezuela - Maduro Sputnik 28 Sep 2019 -- Two planes carrying Russian personnel who will provide military and technical assistance to Venezuela have arrived in the Bolivarian Republic, President Nicolas Maduro said.
- Indian Army to Use Home Grown Longer Range Night Vision for Its Battle Tanks Sputnik 28 Sep 2019 -- The Indian Army will soon equal the capability of China and Pakistani military tech in the use of round-the-clock armoured warfare. In a demand to do away with the night blindness of Indian tanks, a new armoured vehicle was proposed to increase New Delhi's fighting capability.
- China Replaces North Korea as Primary Defense Threat in Japan's Annual Report Sputnik 28 Sep 2019 -- Though Pyongyang has posed increased security concerns for Japan in recent weeks, the island country's annual defense report has listed Beijing as its number one threat to national security, citing major strides in China's military and cyber sectors.
- China to join US-spurned arms treaty 'as soon as possible' Press TV 28 Sep 2019 -- China has expressed willingness for an immediate accession to a treaty that sets global standards for regulating transfers of conventional arms as the US intends to withdraw from the pact.
- Beijing Wants to Complete All Procedures for Speedy Accession to Arms Trade Treaty Sputnik 28 Sep 2019 -- China is seeking to finalise all formal procedures needed to accede to the UN Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) as soon as possible, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said on Saturday, adding that it is a very important move for the country.
- India is Capable of Giving Much Bigger Blow to Pakistan than Ever Before - Defence Minister Sputnik 28 Sep 2019 -- Boasting of greater defence preparedness than ever before, the Indian defence minister has warned Pakistan against armed conflict with India. The remark came in the wake of a statement made by Pakistani PM Imran Khan at the UN General Assembly on Friday, where he threatened India with nuclear war over the Kashmir issue.
- Turkey in talks with Russia over buying Su-35 fighter jets: Russian official Press TV 28 Sep 2019 -- A senior Russian official says Moscow and Ankara are holding talks about the possible sale of Russian-made Sukhoi Su-35 fighter jets to Turkey, after Washington removed Ankara from its F-35 fighter jets program after the latter received the first parts of advanced Russian S-400 missile defense system.
- At UN, Yemen Foreign Minister demands end to 'Iranian-Houthi coup d'etat' UN News 28 Sep 2019 -- The Minister for Foreign Affairs of Yemen on Saturday called on the United Nations and the wider international community to stand by his crisis-torn country as it struggled to cope with daily assaults and "terrorist aggression" at the hands of vicious, Iran-backed Houthi militias.
- 3 Saudi brigades destroyed, scores of mercs captured in Najran offensive: Yemeni Army spox Press TV 28 Sep 2019 -- The spokesman for Yemeni Armed Forces says three Saudi military brigades were completely destroyed after Yemeni Army troops, backed by allied fighters from Popular Committees, mounted a large-scale military offensive in the kingdom's southern border region of Najran.
- Yemeni Houthis Claim to Have Captured 'Saudi Army Officers' in Attack Near Joint Border Sputnik 28 Sep 2019 -- The Houthis, also known as Ansar Allah, earlier in the day denied media reports that the Saudi-led coalition, which is fighting against the group in Yemen, had agreed to a ceasefire in several areas of the country, including the Houthi-controlled capital of Sanaa.
- US, Turkey must end illegal military presence in Syria: FM Muallem Press TV 28 Sep 2019 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem has slammed as "illegal" the military presence of the US and Turkey in northern Syria, demanding an immediate withdrawal of all foreign forces from his country.
- Turkey plans construction project worth $27 billion in Syria 'safe zone': TRT Press TV 28 Sep 2019 -- State broadcaster TRT Haber says Turkey plans to build towns within the so-called safe zone in northeast Syria, raising fears that Ankara might be carving out a patch of land in the Arab country for itself.
- No Deadlines Must Be Imposed on Syrian Constitutional Committee – Foreign Minister Sputnik 28 Sep 2019 -- The recently established Syrian Constitutional Committee must not face any imposed deadlines or timetables that may affect its activities, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem said.
- Iraqi PM approves reopening al-Qa'im border crossing with Syria Press TV 28 Sep 2019 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi has authorized the reopening of the al-Qa'im border crossing with Syria as both countries manage to restore security to the region.
- Iraqi Prime Minister Agrees to Open Al Qaim Crossing at Syrian Border - Official Sputnik 28 Sep 2019 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Adil Abd Al-Mahdi authorized the major Al Qaim crossing at the Syrian border to be opened on Monday, a representative of the Iraqi border crossing authority said Saturday.
- Syrian crisis is 'clearest example' of foreign investment in terrorism, Deputy Prime Minister says at UN UN News 28 Sep 2019 -- Although terrorism is a "global nightmare which haunts everyone", some countries have invested in terrorism as a tool to impose their "insidious agendas" on other nations, Syria's Deputy Prime Minister Walid Al-Moualem told the UN General Assembly on Saturday.
- India tightens restrictions in Kashmir after Imran Khan's UN address Press TV 28 Sep 2019 -- Following an address to the UN General Assembly by Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan, who condemned India's behavior in Kashmir, authorities in the region have tightened restrictions on people's movements.
- India's Ruling BJP Plans to Offer Third Political Alternative in Kashmir Sputnik 28 Sep 2019 -- India's Jammu and Kashmir government, following New Delhi's decision to strip the state of its special status, took leaders of regional political parties into preventive custody. The ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) blamed the detained leaders for embezzling federal grants intended to be spent on the welfare of the people.
- Nine Killed In Bombing, Bus Attack In Pakistan RFE/RL 28 Sep 2019 -- At least three people were killed, including an opposition politician, and seven others injured in a bomb blast on September 28 in Pakistan's southwestern town of Chaman in the province of Balochistan.
- Myanmar willing to repatriate 'verified returnees' from Bangladesh UN News 28 Sep 2019 -- Myanmar is prioritizing the repatriation of scores of people who fled violence in northern Rakhine state for Bangladesh, a senior official from the country said on Saturday, the fifth day of debate in the UN General Assembly.
- UN Decries Continuing Violations in East Ukraine, Russian-Occupied Crimea VOA 28 Sep 2019 -- The United Nations reports human rights violations in both government and separatist-controlled areas of eastern Ukraine continue with impunity. The report, which was examined by the U.N. human rights council this week also documents violations perpetrated by the Russian occupiers of Crimea.
- The Sentry Report on Corruption in South Sudan US Dept. of State 28 Sep 2019 -- The Department of State is reviewing the newly released report by The Sentry entitled, "The Taking of South Sudan."
- Egyptian Security Forces Killed in Northern Sinai Terror Attack VOA 28 Sep 2019 -- More than half a dozen people were reportedly killed Friday during a terrorist attack on an Egyptian military checkpoint near the northern Sinai town of Bir al-Abed. The Islamic State group reportedly claimed responsibility for the attack.
- Trump's envoy for Ukraine resigns amid growing scandal Press TV 28 Sep 2019 -- US President Donald Trump's special envoy for Ukraine, Kurt Volker, has resigned following disclosures that he had connected Trump's personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani with Ukrainian officials to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and his family over allegedly corrupt business dealings.
- White House restricted access to Trump's calls with Putin and Saudi crown prince: CNN Press TV 28 Sep 2019 -- The White House constrained access to President Trump's conversations with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Russian President Vladimir Putin, according to CNN.
- White House Restricted Access to Trump's Calls With Vladimir Putin, Mohammed bin Salman – Report Sputnik 28 Sep 2019 -- Phone calls with the two leaders were allegedly put into a system that stores highly-sensitive classified documents, along with the notorious call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.
- AG Barr Draws Democratic Fire for Handling of Trump Whistleblower Complaint VOA 28 Sep 2019 -- In March, special counsel Robert Mueller submitted his final report to Attorney General William Barr without answering the most tantalizing question: Did President Donald Trump attempt to obstruct the investigation into whether Russians meddled with the 2016 presidential election in Trump's favor.
- Trump Touts Border Security Ahead of 2020 Campaign VOA 28 Sep 2019 -- After more than two years of political and legal strife, U.S. President Donald Trump appears to be prevailing in revamping immigration policy and building portions of a wall to limit migration across the southern U.S. border.
- Russia lambasts US for breaching UN resolutions, withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal Press TV 28 Sep 2019 -- Russia has denounced the United States for its "attacks" on international law and for breaching the United Nations resolutions, taking aim at the US withdrawal from the landmark 2015 unclear deal between Iran and world powers, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Pak Pong Ju Inspects Units in South Phyongan Province KCNA 28 Sep 2019 -- Pak Pong Ju, member of the Presidium of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea, vice-chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and vice-chairman of the Central Committee of the WPK, made field survey of several units in South Phyongan Province.
- DPRK Delegation Head Makes Speech at UNGA High-Level Meeting KCNA 28 Sep 2019 -- The head of the delegation of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea made a speech at the UNGA High-Level Meeting on Universal Health Coverage on September 23.
- Trump rejected Iran's conditions for meeting Rouhani: Zarif Press TV 28 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says it was US President Donald Trump who wasted his chances for a meeting with Iranian officials on the sidelines of a United Nations gathering in New York by rejecting Tehran's main conditions for such a meeting.
- Iran prefers to break deadlock with US at UNGA IRNA 28 Sep 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani's presence at this year's United Nations General Assembly was Tehran's diplomatic overture to dispel all the doubts that have been cast on the 2015 nuclear agreement especially after the US pullout of the deal last year.
- US sanctions on Iran's access to medicines tantamount to economic terrorism: FM Zarif Press TV 28 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the United States' sanctions targeting Iran's access to medicines and treatment services amount to economic terrorism, calling on the international community to compel the US to quit its policy.
- Iran Begins To Acknowledge Its Forgotten Women Of War RFE/RL 28 Sep 2019 -- Shahnaz Haji Shah was 26 years old in September 1980 when she was killed by an Iraqi mortar in the southwestern Iranian port city of Khoramshahr near the border with Iraq.
- China 'never seeks hegemony' Global Times 28 Sep 2019 -- China will never pursue hegemony or seek expansion, and will remain committed to the basic principles of "sovereign equality and non-interference in other countries' internal affairs," said Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi.
- White paper expounds on China's roles Global Times 28 Sep 2019 -- China's central government published a white paper policy document outlining China's meteoric economic development in the past 70 years, its growing contributions to world peace and growth, and the country's significant role in an evolving world where opportunities and challenges loom large.
- Xi calls on all ethnic groups to jointly create bright future People's Daily 28 Sep 2019 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has stressed efforts to consolidate a strong sense of community for the Chinese nation, calling on people of all ethnic groups to unite and strive to achieve common prosperity and development and create a bright future.
- Police Use Water Cannon to Disperse Protesters Near Hong Kong Government Headquarters Sputnik 28 Sep 2019 -- The standoff near the government headquarters comes as a rally to commemorate the anniversary of the Umbrella Revolution is being held in Tamar Park nearby.
- China, Kiribati formally restore diplomatic ties Global Times 28 Sep 2019 -- China and Kiribati formally resumed diplomatic relations on Saturday (Beijing time) after the Pacific island state announced its decision to cut "diplomatic ties" with Taiwan last week.
- DPP passes resolution against 'one country, two systems' CNA 28 Sep 2019 -- The ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) passed a resolution during its annual national congress Saturday, reaffirming its stance against China's "one country, two systems" formula.
- Taiwan thanks Nauru, Palau for support CNA 28 Sep 2019 -- Foreign Minister Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) expressed gratitude Saturday to the presidents of Nauru and Palau -- two of Taiwan's diplomatic allies -- during flight transits in Taiwan, for speaking up for the country at the 74th General Assembly of the United Nations in New York.
- Taiwan's contributions can benefit developing nations: allies CNA 28 Sep 2019 -- Three Caribbean nations reiterated calls Friday to the United Nations not to exclude Taiwan from the world governing body, as the country is willing and able to contribute to the organization's work, from which many developing countries can benefit.
- China slams U.S. approval of "TAIPEI Act" People's Daily 28 Sep 2019 -- China resolutely opposes the U.S. approval of the so-called "TAIPEI Act," which seriously violated the one-China principle and the three joint communiques between China and the U.S., a Chinese mainland spokesperson said Friday.
- Simplistic to believe Saudi Arabia recovered from oil attacks: Report Press TV 28 Sep 2019 -- A new report shows Saudi Arabia's claims that it has restored oil production to normal levels following massive Yemeni attacks earlier this month are hard to believe.
- At UN, Cuba slams US 'criminal' practices undermining country's development UN News 28 Sep 2019 -- At the United Nations General Assembly on Saturday, the Foreign Minister of Cuba condemned the United States for imposing blockades and other "criminal, non-conventional measures" that are hindering his country's progress.
- 'Absolutely Useless': Venezuelan Foreign Minister Slams US Sanctions Against Cuba's Raul Castro Sputnik 28 Sep 2019 -- On Friday, Venezuelan Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza criticized US sanctions on former Cuban leader Raul Castro, who is now serving as the first secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Cuba.
- Guinea-Bissau spotlights threats of organized crime, Sahel terrorism in speech to UN Assembly UN News 28 Sep 2019 -- Organized criminal networks continue to pose a threat to Guinea-Bissau and undermine stability in the West African nation, Foreign Minister Suzi Barbosa said in her speech on Saturday to the UN General Assembly.
- Zimbabwe's Former Leader Mugabe Buried at His Rural Home VOA 28 Sep 2019 -- Zimbabwe's former president, Robert Mugabe, was buried Saturday in a low-key ceremony in his rural village. The site was chosen after the 95-year-old former leader's family refused to have him buried at the national shrine in Harare because he had been "ridiculed."
- Haitian Foreign Minister calls for development reboot to close 'striking gap' between promises and action on ending poverty UN News 28 Sep 2019 -- The future of humanity hinges on full implementation of the 2030 Agenda, if we don't get there, "we may never see the world that 'we the peoples of the United Nations' have long been calling for," Bocchit Edmond, the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Haiti, told the General Assembly, the Organization's top deliberative body.
- Still recovering from devastating cyclones, Mozambique, in UN address, warns of global warming's 'nefarious consequences' UN News 28 Sep 2019 -- The Foreign Minister of Mozambique told the United Nations on Saturday that the world must work harder to reverse the "nefarious consequences of global warming".
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|