22 September 2019 Military News
- US official claims ISIL militant were among Afghans massacred in drone attack Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- A senior US military commander in Afghanistan has tried to justify the massacre of Afghan civilians in the recent American drone bombing in the country's eastern Nangarhar province, insisting that Daesh terrorists were hiding among the farmers killed during the strike.
- Afghan Officials: Taliban Suffers Heavy Casualties In Several Provinces RFE/RL 22 Sep 2019 -- Afghan authorities say Taliban militants have suffered heavy casualties in the latest security operations in several provinces across the country.
- Taliban Attack Police Headquarters in Afghan Province of Takhar Sputnik 22 Sep 2019 -- A bomb planted by the Taliban went off in a police headquarters building in the northern Afghan province of Takhar on Sunday, a correspondent reported.
- Taliban Leaders Visit China to Discuss 'Dead' US Talks VOA 22 Sep 2019 -- A visiting Afghan Taliban delegation held talks with senior officials in China Sunday to discuss the Islamist insurgent group's now defunct peace negotiations with the United States.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US and India Will Hold First Ever Triservice Military Exercise in November - Trump Sputnik 22 Sep 2019 -- The US President's statement comes as Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrives in the United States for a week-long visit.
- AFRL invents cargo aircraft tire change tool US Air Force 22 Sep 2019 -- How many Airmen does it take to change a cargo aircraft tire? Too many, said J.D. Bales, Air Force Research Laboratory and Junior Force Warfighter Operations, or JFWORX, team member from the Materials and Manufacturing Directorate.
- Iran holds military parades to mark defense week Global Times 22 Sep 2019 -- Iranian armed forces staged nationwide military parades on Sunday to mark the start of defense week.
- Enemies fully aware of Iran's military might: Senior military official IRNA 22 Sep 2019 -- Iran's enemies are fully aware of the country's capabilities and don't dare to make any wrong moves, said a senior Iranian military official on Sunday.
- Iran showcases air defense, artillery, drone systems IRNA 22 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Armed Forces showcased Bavar-373 missile defense system, Hael artillery unit and Kaman-12 drone during the Sunday morning ceremony to mark the beginning of the Sacred Defense Week which coincides with the 39th anniversary of the Iraqi-imposed war 1980-1988.
- Iran's Armed Forces holding parades to mark start of Sacred Defense Week Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Armed Forces have begun holding military parades across the country, including in the Persian Gulf, at the start of the Sacred Defense Week, which marks the anniversary of the 1980-88 Iraq-imposed war.
- Iran Displays Khorramshahr Ballistic Missile With New Warhead - Reports Sputnik 22 Sep 2019 -- The Iranian military displayed its Khorramshahr long-range ballistic missile with a new warhead at a parade dedicated to the anniversary of the beginning of the 1980-1988 Iran-Iraq war, Fars news agency reported on Sunday.
- Red Waves Naval Drills Begin in Saudi Arabia – Commander Sputnik 22 Sep 2019 -- The second edition of the Red Waves naval exercise got underway in Saudi Arabia on Sunday, the commander of its Jeddah-based Western Fleet told the Asharq al-Awsat newspaper.
- Taiwan to test cyber defense in first joint exercise with US CNA 22 Sep 2019 -- Taiwan will soon test its cyberwar defense capabilities in the first-ever Cyber Offensive and Defensive Exercises to be held with the United States in November, Vice Premier Chen Chi-mai (陳其邁) told CNA Sunday.
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo With Central Asian (C5) Foreign Ministers US Dept. of State 22 Sep 2019 -- Remarks by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- Remarks by President Trump Before Marine One Departure The White House 22 Sep 2019
- Pelosi: Trump turning 'blind eye' to Saudi violence in Yemen Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says President Donald Trump is "turning a blind eye to Saudi Arabia's continued violence" against innocent Yemenis.
- UN urges Saudi Arabia to seize opportunity as Yemen offers ceasefire Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- The United Nations has welcomed a proposal by Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement to halt strikes on Saudi Arabia in return for an end to the Saudi-led coalition attacks on Yemen.
- Saudi regime owes US $181mn for refueling support in bombarding Yemen Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- Saudi Arabia still owes the US military $181 million for aerial refueling assistance it received for its brutal bombardment of Yemen's mostly civilian targets amid Pentagon plans to send more troops to the despotic kingdom to purportedly bolster its air defenses against retaliatory drone attacks by Yemeni forces.
- UN Envoy Welcomes Huthi Rebels' Vow To Halt Attacks As Saudis Remain Cautious RFE/RL 22 Sep 2019 -- The United Nations envoy for Yemen has said Huthi rebels' announcement that they are halting all attacks on Saudi Arabia could help end the long, deadly civil war in the Gulf of Aden country.
- Houthi Involvement in Saudi Oil Refinery Attacks 'Entirely Implausible' - UK Foreign Minister Sputnik 22 Sep 2019 -- Last week, two of Saudi Aramco's oil facilities were targeted by drones, forcing the oil company to close its Abqaiq and Khurais refineries. While Yemen's Houthis claimed responsibility for the attacks, Riyadh and Washington blamed Tehran for the incident. The Islamic Republic denies the allegation.
- Saudis Say 'Act Of War' If Attacks On Oil Facilities Came From Iran's Territory RFE/RL 22 Sep 2019 -- Saudi Arabia says that while it is pursuing a peaceful solution one week after a major attack on its oil facilities, the kingdom would regard it as "an act of war" if an ongoing investigation determines that the September 14 "missile and drone" attack was launched from Iranian territory.
- Saudi Foreign Minister Claims Iran Responsible for 'Attack Against the World' Sputnik 22 Sep 2019 -- Any loans to Iran or engagement by the international community represent "appeasement," Saudi minister of state for foreign affairs Adel al-Jubeir claimed, accusing Iran of aggressive behaviour.
- Riyadh Says War With Iran 'Last Option' Amid Escalated Tensions Over Oil Attacks Sputnik 22 Sep 2019 -- The Saudi minister of state for foreign affairs, Adel Jubeir, said on Saturday that Riyadh will do everything to protect the country amid escalated tensions with Tehran over the recent drone attacks on Saudi Aramco's oil facilities, noting, however, that a war with Iran is the "last option."
- Houthis Warn Saudi Arabia of More Damaging Attacks If Riyadh Continues Military Action Sputnik 22 Sep 2019 -- Ansar Allah militants, also known as Houthis, who seized power in northern Yemen, warned Saudi Arabia of new, more damaging attacks on the country's vital facilities if Riyadh continues military action against Houthis-controlled territories in Yemen.
- Most Europeans countries detached from reality in Syria: President Assad Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says the position of most European countries on what is happening in Syria has been detached from reality since the onset of foreign-backed militancy in the Arab country in 2011.
- US dispatches 175 trucks of weapons to SDF militants in northern Syria: SANA Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- Militants from the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have reportedly received 175 truckloads of weapons and munitions dispatched by the United States, irrespective of condemnation by Damascus of the "criminal and repressive" actions of the forces.
- Trump again threatens to release imprisoned Daesh members at EU borders Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has once again threatened to set free European members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group captured in Syria and Iraq if their countries decline to take back the captives.
- Separate attacks kill 7 in Baghdad suburb Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- At least seven people have been killed in three separate attacks on the northern outskirts of the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, over the past few hours.
- Unidentified aircraft attacks Iraq's Hashd al-Sha'abi forces: Report Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- Iraq's pro-government Popular Mobilization Units have come under an airstrike by an unidentified aircraft near an airfield in the western province of Anbar.
- Al-Shabab Attack Kills 20 Somali Soldiers VOA 22 Sep 2019 -- At least 20 Somali government soldiers were killed and 18 others were wounded when al-Shabab raided a military base south of Mogadishu, security sources told VOA Somali.
- Trump Insists He Did Nothing Wrong in Call with Ukrainian Leader VOA 22 Sep 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump admitted talking about corruption with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, but stopped short of saying they talked about investigating 2020 leading Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden.
- Impeachment 'only remedy' if Trump's Ukraine call proved: House committee Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- The chairman of US House intelligence committee has threatened President Donald Trump with impeachment amid controversy over his phone call with Ukraine's president.
- Amid Trump-Biden Tug-Of-War, Anxious Ukraine Ponders How To Proceed RFE/RL 22 Sep 2019 -- In Servant Of The People, the TV series in which Volodymyr Zelenskiy played an accidental president, his character found himself caught up in a slew of scandals, each of which he managed to successfully overcome by the end of each episode.
- Venezuela's Maduro Accuses Colombia of New Assassination Attempts Sputnik 22 Sep 2019 -- Several bomb-laden drones exploded close to Maduro at a military parade in the capital of Caracas in August 2018, injuring seven soldiers. The president escaped unscathed.
- Ahead of UN summit, leading scientists warn climate change 'hitting harder and sooner' than forecast UN News 22 Sep 2019 -- Top climate scientists issued a report on Sunday showing that over the last several years, sea-level rise, planetary warming, shrinking ice sheets and carbon pollution have accelerated; a sobering call to action for political leaders headed to New York for summit-level climate change talks tomorrow at the United Nations.
- Egyptian police, anti-Sisi protesters clash for second night in Suez Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- Egyptian police have fired tear gas and live rounds to disperse hundreds of anti-government protesters in the port city of Suez.
- Hundreds Of Egyptians Protest Against Government, Demand Sisi Resignation RFE/RL 22 Sep 2019 -- Rare antigovernment protests have broken out in several Egyptian cities, with demonstrators calling for President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi to step down.
- Report: U.K.-Flagged Tanker's Owner Says Iran Could Release Vessel 'Within Hours' RFE/RL 22 Sep 2019 -- The chief executive of the company that owns a British-flagged oil tanker that was seized along with its crew by Iran in July says he's been told that the vessel could be released "within a few hours."
- Iran to release Stena Impero 'in near future' IRNA 22 Sep 2019 -- Iran to release the British oil tanker Stena Impero in near future, an Iranian maritime official said on Sunday.
- Iranian maritime official says UK tanker to be released soon Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- An Iranian maritime official says the Stena Impero, the British-flagged tanker detained by Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) in July in the Persian Gulf for violating international maritime law, will be released soon.
- Iran sets $93bn-target for investment in petrochemical sector Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- Iranian authorities say size of investment in downstream sections of the oil and gas industry, where petrochemicals are produced and marketed, would reach $93 billion by 2025.
- US sanctions hampering Iran's environment efforts on flare gas: Minister Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- Iran's Oil Minister Bijan Namdar Zanganeh says American sanctions have hampered government efforts on environment protection in the oil industry.
- Iran May Release Impounded Tanker Stena Impero in Coming Few Hours - Owner Company Sputnik 22 Sep 2019 -- Tehran may release the UK-flagged tanker Stena Impero, which has been in Iran's custody for two months, on Sunday, Erik Hanell, president and CEO of Stena Bulk shipping company, which owns the tanker, said.
- Iran launching $3.9bn worth of projects in mining industry Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- Iran is planning to employ an extra 10,000 people in the mining industry in projects worth nearly $3.9b until the end of the current Persian calendar year in March, authorities say.
- Pompeo: Trump's Iran Strategy is Working VOA 22 Sep 2019 -- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says the U.S. is working to find a diplomatic outcome to tensions with Iran, which has been blamed for an attack on Saudi oil facilities, but he warned if diplomacy fails President Donald Trump "will make necessary decisions to achieve our objectives."
- US 'Trying to Build Coalition' With UK for 'Some Form of Action Against Iran' – Report Sputnik 22 Sep 2019 -- Earlier, UK Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs Dominic Raab said that based on the information made available to him, the idea that Yemen's Houthi militia could be responsible for last week's attacks on Saudi oil facilities was "entirely implausible and lacking in credibility." The Houthis maintain that their drones carried out the attacks.
- Iran to present 'Hormuz Peace Initiative' at UN: President Rouhani Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says Iran will present at the United Nations this year an initiative for regional cooperation to ensure peace in the Strait of Hormuz.
- Iran's President Vows To Present Security Plan To UN RFE/RL 22 Sep 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani has said his country will present a plan for securing the Persian Gulf "with the help of other countries in the region" to the United Nations, citing threats to the region and the oil industry from foreign forces.
- Iranian Leader Tells US to Stay Away From Persian Gulf Region VOA 22 Sep 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said Sunday the presence of foreign forces in the Persian Gulf area would create "insecurity in the region."
- Iran rejects prospect of talks with Trump at UN and says country ready to resist 'militarily' IRNA 22 Sep 2019 -- Iran's top diplomats said they will not enter into negotiations until the US stops its campaign of "maximum pressure" on Tehran, making bilateral talks between leaders attending the meeting of United Nations General Assembly this week highly unlikely.
- Trump violates rules & norms by demanding a new JCPOA IRNA 22 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said in a message that Trump Administration violated the rules and norms of International Agreements by asking re-composition of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
- Zarif: Initiator of war with Iran cannot finish it IRNA 22 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Sunday that he was not confident that Iran can avoid war, but, he was confident that Iran will not start a war.
- Iran to respond with most crushing reaction in face of any aggression by enemies: Navy Commander ISNA 22 Sep 2019 -- Commander of Iran's Navy, Rear Admiral Hossein Khanzadi said the Islamic Republic will respond with the "most crushing reaction" in face of any "aggression or calculated mistake by enemies".
- Iran strongly rejects Riyadh's anti-Iran accusations ISNA 22 Sep 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman has categorically rejected false and hackneyed accusations levelled by certain Saudi officials regarding the recent attack on the country's oil facilities, saying they lack any validity.
- Iran Open to Talks on Permanent Nuclear Deal With US – Zarif Sputnik 23 Sep 2019 -- Iran is open to talks with the United States on a lasting nuclear deal but the place for them is at the negotiating table of signatories to the existing pact, Foreign Minister Javad Zarif said Sunday.
- France says will focus on de-escalation of Iran-US tension at UNGA Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- France says its main aim at the UN General Assembly meeting is to de-escalate tensions between Iran and the US, rather than arranging a meeting between the two countries' presidents.
- Pompeo says US doesn't want war with Iran, claims sanctions help diplomacy Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo claims his country doesn't want war with Iran and seeks to initiate a diplomatic solution to resolve tensions between the two sides, a claim that comes only days after Washington introduced new sanctions against Iran's Central Bank.
- US sanctions against Iran make negotiations impossible: Zarif Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has slammed the United States's latest move to impose a fresh round of sanctions on the Islamic Republic, saying such restrictions would make future negotiations with Tehran impossible.
- Unlike Israel, Iran is friend of regional nations: Larijani Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani says Iran is a friend of regional nations while Israel is the main enemy of Muslim countries.
- Saudi Press: Iranian Regime Tries to Engage the World into Intertwined Regional and Global Crises Press TV 23 Sep 2019 -- Saudi newspapers highlighted in their editorials today a number of issues at local, regional and international arenas.
- Police Fire More Tear Gas in Hong Kong During Weekend of Protests Radio Free Asia 22 Sep 2019 -- Hong Kong police fired tear gas for the second day of clashes that saw protesters set fire to barricades and throw Molotov cocktails and bricks at police following earlier peaceful, anti-government demonstrations.
- Pompeo: Reject Beijing's Demands To Send Ethnic Uyghurs Back To China RFE/RL 22 Sep 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has called on all countries to reject China's demand to repatriate ethnic Uyghurs to China, where they face repression.
- Hong Kong Police Fire Tear Gas at Protesters Amid Mall Rampage – Reports Sputnik 22 Sep 2019 -- This is the 16th straight week of massive anti-government protests sparked off in early June by an unpopular extradition law, which has since been completely withdrawn, but calls for strikes continued.
- Hong Kong Protesters Vandalize Subway Station, Deface Chinese Flag VOA 22 Sep 2019 -- Protesters on Hong Kong vandalized a subway station and defaced a Chinese flag Sunday during another weekend of pro-democracy demonstrations.
- China-ASEAN ties enter new stage of all-round development: vice premier Global Times 22 Sep 2019 -- Relations between China and countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) have entered a new stage of all-round development, Chinese Vice Premier Han Zheng said Saturday.
- Government to reallocate Solomons, Kiribati funds to Pacific allies CNA 22 Sep 2019 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) is scheduled to appropriate funding originally allocated to the Solomon Islands and Kiribati and disperse it to Taiwan's remaining four Pacific allies after the two island-states decided to end diplomatic ties earlier this week, according to a diplomatic source.
- China, Solomon Islands establish diplomatic relations Press TV 22 Sep 2019 -- China and the Solomon Islands have established formal diplomatic relations in a new sign of Beijing's growing international influence which has worried the United States.
- Redlining the News in Pakistan VOA 22 Sep 2019 -- Umar Cheema experienced the latest brand of Pakistani media suppression firsthand.
- World Health Organization Accuses Tanzania Of Hiding Ebola Cases Sputnik 23 Sep 2019 -- Ebola has plagued the continent of Africa, specifically between 2013 and 2016, when an outbreak led to the deaths of thousands. While the disease has been largely subdued with the help of international organisations, it still remains a problem in some parts of the region.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|