08 September 2019 Military News
- Pompeo: Trump Correctly Called Off Taliban Talks Because of Its Terrorist Attacks VOA 08 Sep 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Sunday that President Donald Trump "made the right decision" to call off peace talks with Taliban leaders at his presidential retreat because of the terrorist group's on-going attacks in Afghanistan.
- Taliban Denounce Trump's Move to Call off Peace Talks, Claim US Will Return to Negotiate VOA 08 Sep 2019 -- The Afghan Taliban have denounced President Donald Trump's decision to call off peace talks with the insurgent group, claiming American interlocuters were happy with a deal both sides had negotiated in Doha, and that September 23 had been decided as a date to move to the next step–the start of negotiations with other Afghan factions.
- US defends plans for Trump-Taliban meeting at Camp David Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- The US has defended plans for a meeting between President Donald Trump and Taliban's leaders at Camp David as prospects of a deal shatter between the two sides.
- Pompeo: US-Taliban talks 'dead for the time being' Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says the so-called peace talks with the Afghan Taliban militant group are "dead" for now and that the administration in Washington will not negotiate any future deal without commitments from the militants.
- Peace comes when Taliban agree to ceasefire: Afghan president Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani says real peace is only possible if the Taliban militants agree to a ceasefire and to direct talks with the Kabul government.
- Trump claims cancelling peace talks in US with Taliban leaders over attacks Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has claimed canceling peace talks with leaders of Afghanistan's Taliban insurgents in a resort near Washington after the notorious militant group claimed responsibility for a recent Kabul attack that killed an American soldier and 11 others.
- Trump Says He Canceled Secret Afghan Peace Talks After Bombing RFE/RL 08 Sep 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said he canceled a secret meeting outside of Washington, D.C. with Taliban leaders and Afghan President Ashraf Ghani after a car bomb in Kabul killed 12 people, including a U.S. soldier.
- Taliban Defeated in Afghan Kunduz, Baghlan After Fierce Battles Sputnik 08 Sep 2019 -- The Taliban movement has been defeated in Dasht-e-Archi in the Kunduz province and in the Guzargah district in Baghlan province in northern Afghanistan.
- German Police Remove Personnel From Kabul After Taliban Attack - Reports Sputnik 08 Sep 2019 -- The German Federal Police and the country's Society for International Cooperation (GIZ) have removed the biggest part of their personnel from the Afghan capital in the wake of last week's deadly attacks by the Taliban, media reported.
- Taliban Predicts Losses of American Lives, Vows US 'Will Suffer More Than Anyone Else' as Trump Cancels Secret Talks Sputnik 08 Sep 2019 -- Earlier, US President Donald Trump lashed out at the group, confirming that he had cancelled planned secret meetings involving Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and Taliban leaders after the militants claimed responsibility for a recent deadly bombing attack in the Afghan capital.
- Afghan Government Emphasises Importance of Elections for Peace Process Sputnik 08 Sep 2019 -- The Afghan government has emphasised the importance of holding the presidential elections, slated for September 28, for the ongoing peace process, the presidential press service said on Sunday.
- Trump Says Cancelled Talks with Taliban After they Admitted to Terror Attack in Kabul Sputnik 08 Sep 2019 -- "How many decades are they willing to fight?" Trump said on his Twitter page after condemning the recent lethal attack in the Afghan capital, Kabul.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Navy test fires 4 submarine-launched ballistic missiles amid Russia tensions Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- The United States military has test fired four submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs), amid an emerging arms race with Russia.
- PLA conducts joint land assault exercises near Taiwan Global Times 08 Sep 2019 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) recently conducted a joint land assault exercise featuring multiple military branches near the island of Taiwan, which military experts said on Sunday shows the Chinese military is ready to unleash its full potential against Taiwan secessionist forces and intends to send a stern warning to countries that intervene in China's internal affairs.
- China sends H-6K bombers to Russia for strategic drills Global Times 08 Sep 2019 -- Russia on Saturday held a grand welcoming ceremony upon the arrival of Chinese armed forces, including well-anticipated Type 96A tanks and H-6K bombers, for the upcoming Tsentr-2019 (Center-2019) strategic drills.
- Chinese, Pakistani air forces wrap up unprecedented mock battle exercises Global Times 08 Sep 2019 -- Chinese and Pakistani air forces wrapped up the half-month-long Shaheen VIII joint exercises in northwestern China on Friday, during which systematic mock battles were conducted for the first time.
- Saudi Arabia Launches Military Industrial Licensing Programme Sputnik 08 Sep 2019 -- Saudi Arabia announced on Sunday it will start licensing companies to manufacture firearms, ammunition, military explosives, military equipment, individual military equipment, and military electronics.
- Russia to Deliver S-400 to India Within 18-19 Months, Contract Already Prepaid - Official Sputnik 08 Sep 2019 -- Russia will deliver S-400 air defence systems to India in strict accordance with the schedule, within 18-19 months, and the contract has been already prepaid, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Yuri Borisov said.
- Yemeni Zelzal-1 missiles hit army positions in Saudi Arabia's Jizan Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- Saudi Arabia has suffered loss of military personnel and mercenaries in a retaliatory missile strike carried out by Yemen's army soldiers and fighters from allied Popular Committees targeting positions in the southern region of Jizan.
- KSA, UAE, Issue Joint Statement on Yemen SPA 08 Sep 2019 -- The governments of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have welcomed the response by the Legitimate Government of Yemen and the Southern Transitional Council, on the Kingdom's call for dialogue, saying it is "a major and positive step" towards ending the recent crisis in the governorates of Aden, Abyan and Shabwa.
- Saudi-Led Coalition Shoots Down Drone Launched by Yemeni Houthis - Reports Sputnik 08 Sep 2019 -- The Saudi-led coalition has intercepted and shot down a drone launched by the Houthi movement from the territory of Yemeni province of Amran, media reported on Saturday.
- Erdogan says Turkey, US at odds over Syria safe zone Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan says Ankara and Washington do not see eye to eye regarding a planned "safe zone" in northern Syria, where an alliance of Kurdish and Arab militants opposed by Turkey enjoy the United States' support in their alleged fight against terrorism.
- Joint US-Turkish patrols in flagrant violation of Syria's sovereignty: Damascus Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- Syria has censured a recent decision by Turkish and US military forces to begin joint ground patrols in a so-called safe zone east of the Euphrates in northeastern Syria, arguing that the move constitutes a blatant violation of the international law and the Syrian sovereignty.
- Turkey announces start of joint patrols with US military in Syria 'safe zone' Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- The United States and Turkey have begun joint patrols as part of a plan to create a "safe zone" in the Arab country's northeast aimed at decreasing Ankara's tensions with Washington-backed Kurdish militants there.
- Erdogan Reveals Turkey-US Disagreement at 'Every Step' on Syria Safe Zone Sputnik 08 Sep 2019 -- According to media reports, armed Turkish military vehicles crossed into northeast Syria on Sunday to begin planned joint US-Turkey patrols.
- Libyan government slams 'hostile' UAE for hosting rebel Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- Libya's internationally-recognized government has criticized the United Arab Emirates (UAE) for hosting a member of renegade Libyan general Khalifa Haftar's forces, denouncing the Arab country's position as "hostile."
- Haftar wants guns to speak, claims offensive in final phases Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- Forces under the command of Libya's renegade general, Khalifa Haftar, have rejected a UN call to return to the negotiating table, saying war is the best way to resolve the conflict.
- Dutch Prosecutors Did Question MH17 'Person of Interest' Tsemakh In Ukraine RFE/RL 08 Sep 2019 -- Dutch prosecutors questioned Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 "person of interest" Volodymyr Tsemakh before he left for Moscow as part of a Russian-Ukrainian prisoner exchange on September 7, Dutch Foreign Minister Stef Blok told his country's parliament in a statement the same day.
- Putin, Macron Say Ukraine-Russia Prisoner Swap Gives Momentum For Peace Talks RFE/RL 08 Sep 2019 -- French President Emmanuel Macron and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin say a prisoner swap between Kyiv and Moscow has given momentum to talks on resolving the conflict in eastern Ukraine.
- Ukraine-Russia Prisoner Swap US Dept. of State 08 Sep 2019
- UN chief welcomes prisoner exchange between the Russia and Ukraine UN News 08 Sep 2019 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres welcomed on Sunday, yesterday's exchange of prisoners and detainees between Russia and Ukraine.
- US puts Kushner's 'coffee boy' in charge of Mideast peace Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- US President Donald Trump's new Middle East envoy is a 30-year-old White House administrative assistant who used to run errands and get coffee for his son-in-law Jared Kushner, a new report states.
- Hamas 'to foil Israel plot against Palestinian right of return' Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- A senior leader of the Palestinian Hamas resistance movement has warned that Hamas will thwart any plot designed by the Israeli regime to target Palestinian refugees' right of return to Palestine.
- Israel confiscates more Palestinian land for settlement expansion in West Bank Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- Israeli authorities have issued a military order to confiscate nearly 25 acres of private Palestinian land in the northern part of the occupied West Bank, as the Tel Aviv regime goes ahead with land expropriation and settlement construction policies in violation of international law and UN Security Council resolutions.
- Hamas 'will act if Israel continues to kill Gazans' Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- A high-ranking official from the Palestinian Hamas resistance movement has vowed that if Israel continues to kill Palestinians in the besieged Gaza Strip, his movement will take action to force the regime to end its violations of the truce understandings over the coastal enclave.
- Israeli Defense Forces Strike Hamas Positions in Gaza After Drone Attack Sputnik 08 Sep 2019 -- The Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) struck positions of the Palestinian Hamas movement after a drone launched from the Gaza Strip attacked an IDF vehicle, the IDF said on Sunday.
- India imposes curfew in Kashmir, bans Shia ceremonies Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- New Delhi has imposed a curfew in several parts of in Indian-administered Kashmir, banning Shia Muslims from taking part in annual religious ceremonies.
- Daesh bombing wounds eight people in southern Philippines Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- The Daesh terrorist group has carried out a bombing attack in the southern Philippines, wounding at least seven people.
- Russians go to polls as Putin squares up to bellicose US Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- Russians have taken to the polls to cast their ballots in local and regional elections held at a time of a political thaw between Russia and Ukraine as well as simmering tensions with the US over the suspension of a Cold War-era treaty.
- Moscow City Council In Focus As Russians Vote In Regional Elections RFE/RL 08 Sep 2019 -- Russians voted in local and regional elections that have turned into a serious test for the Kremlin, with the popularity of President Vladimir Putin and the ruling party on the wane.
- DPRK Damaged by Typhoon-13 KCNA 08 Sep 2019 -- Damage occurred in the DPRK by Typhoon-13 that hit the country between about 14:00 on Saturday and 00:00 on Sunday.
- Iran: Oil Tanker Pursued by US Sells its Cargo VOA 08 Sep 2019 -- An Iranian oil tanker at the center of a major diplomatic dispute with the United States has sold its cargo in violations of international sanctions, Iran said.
- Social Media Use by Iran's Sanctioned Officials Poses Dilemma for US VOA 08 Sep 2019 -- The continued use of Twitter and Instagram by senior Iranian officials sanctioned by the Trump administration in recent months has put U.S. authorities and social media executives in a predicament.
- IAEA to continue 'impartial' safeguards activities in Iran IRNA 08 Sep 2019 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said on Sunday its safeguards activities are conducted in an impartial, independent and objective manner, and in accordance with standard safeguards practices.
- Iran at start of third step IRNA 08 Sep 2019 -- As expected following the US withdrawal from the JCPOA and the failure of remaining parties to adhere to their obligations and commitments in the agreement, Tehran eventually and inevitably took the third step in scaling back its obligations; a measure that indicates Iran's seriousness in going through a reversible process.
- IAEA head says nuclear watchdog not influenced by pressures IRNA 08 Sep 2019 -- Acting Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency Cornel Feruta said on Sunday that the approach of the IAEA is independent, neutral and professional and that it will not be influenced by the pressures.
- AEOI chief says JCPOA not one-way road IRNA 08 Sep 2019 -- Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Ali-Akbar Salehi said Iran believes that the nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) is not a one-way road and it was supposed to be a two-way road, adding that Iran will make necessary decisions exactly the same as what it has so far done in the first three steps.
- Iran never revealed confidential issues in nuclear talks IRNA 08 Sep 2019 -- A Senior Iranian nuclear official stressed that Tehran has always observed confidential issues about technical aspects of the nuclear talks with the Group 5+1.
- Salehi confers with IAEA acting chief in Tehran IRNA 08 Sep 2019 -- Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Ali-Akbar Salehi and Acting Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency Cornel Feruta held talks in Tehran on transparency of Iranian nuclear program and the IAEA monitoring of the nuclear sites.
- Iran to start privatization of small ports in two months: Official Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- A senior Iranian maritime official says a plan to privatize small ports north and south of the country would be implemented in the upcoming months as the government seeks to spur more shipping activity to offset the impacts of the American sanctions on trade.
- Iran says its oil tanker discharged cargo despite pressures Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- The spokesman for Iran's Foreign Ministry says despite all acts of sabotage by the United States, the Iranian tanker Adrian Darya 1 has discharged its oil cargo and is now berthing at a Mediterranean port.
- Iran to award $440m contract for development of gas project Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- Iran is to award a contract worth $440 million to a domestic company for production of gas at a major oil field south of the country.
- Foreign Minister Zarif says Iran's commitments reduction allowed under JCPOA Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the three steps taken by the Islamic Republic to reduce its commitments under a nuclear deal it clinched with world powers in 2015 are legitimate and allowed under the agreement.
- Iran nuclear chief meets acting IAEA chief, complains of Europe failure to meet JCPOA commitments Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- Iran's nuclear chief has criticized the European signatories to a 2015 nuclear agreement for failing to honor their legal commitments to Tehran, adding that the multinational accord is "no one-way street."
- Iran Says Oil Tanker Has Delivered Contentious Cargo In Mediterranean RFE/RL 08 Sep 2019 -- Iran says that an oil tanker that was detained by Britain in July and is still sought by American authorities has delivered its load of Iranian crude to an undisclosed location.
- UN Nuclear Chief Holds Talks With Iranian Officials In Tehran RFE/RL 08 Sep 2019 -- The chief of the United Nations' nuclear watchdog met with top Iranian officials after Tehran pushed forward with a plan to begin using advanced centrifuges prohibited by the 2015 nuclear deal.
- IAEA Inspectors Find Traces of Uranium at Tehran Site Described as 'Secret Atomic Warehouse' by Netanyahu - Report Sputnik 08 Sep 2019 -- Earlier, Israeli media accused the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) of seeking to avoid publicising information about Iran's alleged nuclear materials stockpile at a 'secret nuclear warehouse' facility in the Iranian capital.
- Iranian Tanker Sought by US 'Gone to its Destination, Oil Sold' - Tehran Sputnik 08 Sep 2019 -- On Saturday, US National Security Advisor John Bolton posted a satellite image which he said was Iran's Adrian Darya 1 tanker loitering two nautical miles off the coast of the Tartus naval facility in Syria, and accused Tehran of "lying" about its alleged commitment not to send the tanker to Syria after its release by Gibraltar authorities last month. Tehran says it gave no such commitments.
- EU Fails to Fulfil 2015 Deal Commitments - Iran's Nuclear Chief Sputnik 08 Sep 2019 -- Earlier this week, a spokesman for Iran's Atomic Energy Organisation said that Tehran was decreasing its nuclear commitments in retaliation for a breach of 2015 nuclear deal by the United States.
- Israeli Satellite Photo Allegedly Shows Cleanup Effort at Iranian Spaceport Days After Failed Rocket Launch Sputnik 08 Sep 2019 -- Last week, the US slapped sanctions on Iran's Space Agency, Space Research Centre and Astronautics Research Institute following the August 29 explosion of a rocket on the launch pad at the Imam Khomeini Space Centre in northern Iran.
- Mainland set to defend HK Global Times 08 Sep 2019 -- If you ask Hong Kong residents who have been working in business since the city returned to China in 1997, they can tell countless stories of how the city and the mainland helped each other over the years.
- Global rating agency's politically biased decision 'harms itself' Global Times 08 Sep 2019 -- Major global rating agencies are waging a rating "cold war" against emerging economies by letting their rating decisions be overshadowed by political bias to serve the interests of the developed world, Chinese analysts said on Sunday, warning that this could seriously taint their credibility.
- Further cuts to RRR expected Global Times 08 Sep 2019 -- China is likely to launch more reserve requirement ratio (RRR) cuts this year following the one launched on Friday to lift the economy, which is under dual pressure from the trade war and domestic economic adjustments, experts say, but interest rate cuts are unlikely.
- ISRO Locates Vikram Lander on Lunar Surface Day After Failed Moon Touchdown Sputnik 08 Sep 2019 -- On Friday night, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) lost contact with the Vikram lander during the last stage of the Moon landing operation, minutes before it was due to land near the lunar South Pole.
- Russian Space Agency to Test Modernized Fregat Upper Stage During Launch of Meteor Satellite in 2020 Sputnik 08 Sep 2019 -- Russian state space corporation Roscosmos will test the modernized Fregat upper stage in 2020 during the blastoff of the Meteor-M meteorological satellite No. 2-3 from the Vostochny space centre, according to materials on the government procurement website.
- Saudi Arabia Appoints Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman Al Saud as New Energy Minister - Reports Sputnik 08 Sep 2019 -- Saudi Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman Al Saud has been appointed for the position of Saudi Arabia's Minister of Petroleum and Mineral Resources, local media reported on Sunday.
- British Politician Resigns Over Prime Minister's Handling of Brexit VOA 08 Sep 2019 -- A senior minister of Britain's ruling Conservative party has resigned because she does not think the prime minister is serious about creating a Brexit divorce deal.
- Kuwait's Emir Postpones Meeting With Trump to Undergo Medical Exams in US Hospital Sputnik 08 Sep 2019 -- Kuwait's Emir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah has postponed his meeting with US President Donald that was scheduled for September 12 for medical reasons, media reported, citing the royal palace.
- Start of Latest Mekong Dam Draws Fears of River's 'Tipping Point' VOA 08 Sep 2019 -- Critics of the 1,285-megawatt Xayaburi hydropower dam in northern Laos fear recent upgrades to the controversial project won't be enough to save the Mekong River from a critical tipping point when it starts churning out electricity at full throttle next month.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|