07 September 2019 Military News
- Trump Says He Canceled Secret Afghan Peace Talks VOA 07 Sep 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he has called off secret talks that were to be held Sunday at Camp David with Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani and "major Taliban leaders."
- Afghan Forces Retake Taliban-Held Key District After 5 Years VOA 07 Sep 2019 -- Officials in Afghanistan Saturday announced that security forces have recaptured a key northeastern district from the Taliban after five years, as heavy clashes raged in provinces elsewhere in Afghanistan.
- China Calls for 'Orderly, Responsible' Foreign Troop Exit From Afghanistan VOA 07 Sep 2019 -- China urged U.S.-led foreign troops Saturday to withdraw from Afghanistan in an "orderly and responsible" manner if a prospective peace deal is signed with the Islamist Taliban to end the 18-year war.
- Western Afghan Fighting Rages As Taliban Keeps Up Attacks Despite Peace Efforts RFE/RL 07 Sep 2019 -- Afghan officials say security forces have reversed some of the Taliban's gains from the militants' latest assaults in the western Farah Province, as the fundamentalist group continues a wave of attacks on military and civilian targets as negotiators try to put the final touches on a U.S.-Taliban peace deal.
- US working towards 'good deal' with Taliban: Pentagon chief Press TV 07 Sep 2019 -- US Defense Secretary Mark Esper has said Washington is seeking a "good deal" with the Taliban after a wave of violence overshadowed its talks with the militant group.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Hampton Roads Based Ships, Aircraft Return To Homeport NNS 07 Sep 2019 -- U.S. 2nd Fleet ordered nearly 30 ships and 120 aircraft to return to Hampton Roads today, following an assessment from the U.S. Coast Guard that the port is safe for maritime operations.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper's Meetings in France DoD 07 Sep 2019
- Readout of U.S. Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper's Visit to London, United Kingdom DoD 07 Sep 2019
- US defense secretary warns Europe of growing threats from China, Russia Press TV 07 Sep 2019 -- US Defense Secretary Mark Esper has warned European nations to tackle what he called growing security and economic threats from China and Russia, the latest sign that Washington has shifted its main focus from the US wars in the Middle East to confronting Beijing and Moscow.
- US Administration Says Not Considering Purchase of Advanced Missile Technology From Russia Sputnik 07 Sep 2019 -- The United States is not considering purchasing missile technology from Russia, a senior US administration official told Sputnik.
- US Air Force Secretary Announces Branch Will Invest in Disposable Aircraft Sputnik 07 Sep 2019 -- A "low-cost, single-use" aircraft may be the US Air Force's (USAF) next endeavor in the foreseeable future following mention of the affordable tech during a defense conference earlier this week.
- North Korea appoints new military chief amid weapons development Press TV 07 Sep 2019 -- North Korea appoints a new military commander with expertise in artillery, as it presses ahead with its nuclear weapons program while prospects of denuclearization talks with the US appear to be "disappointing."
- IRGC Cmdr rules out weakness to thwart any threat IRNA 07 Sep 2019 -- Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps Major-General Hossein Salaami on Saturday ruled out weakness to thwart foreign threats, saying that Iran is well-prepared to defend its people as strongly as it can.
- Royal Navy deploys medics to support humanitarian efforts following Bahamas hurricane UK MOD 07 Sep 2019 -- The Royal Navy has deployed extra medics to join Royal Fleet Auxiliary ship Mounts Bay in delivering humanitarian assistance to the Bahamas following Hurricane Dorian.
- US Defense Official to Visit Islamabad Amid Afghan Talks, Tension in Kashmir VOA 07 Sep 2019 -- A high-level U.S. defense delegation is scheduled to visit Pakistan and Afghanistan next week. Randall Schriver, assistant secretary of defense for Indo-Pacific security affairs, made the announcement Thursday evening at the Pakistani Embassy in Washington. Schriver, appointed to his current position by President Donald Trump in January 2018, attended the embassy's annual celebration of Pakistan's Defense Day.
- Ukraine Defense Firm Caught Up in US-China Rivalry Probed for 'Subversion' VOA 07 Sep 2019 -- Ukrainian security officials have a launched an investigation into "subversive" activities by one of the Eastern European country's defense contractors over plans to supply military hardware to neighboring Russia.
- Saudi Arabia blocks fuel shipment from entering Yemen's Hudaydah Press TV 07 Sep 2019 -- Saudi Arabia has stopped a desperately-needed fuel shipment from entering the Yemeni port city of Hudaydah, a lifeline for millions of people in the impoverished war-torn country.
- Militants to resume infighting in southern Yemen as Saudi, UAE fail to end deadly rift: Officials Press TV 07 Sep 2019 -- Deadly militant infighting in southern Yemen is expected to make a comeback as Saudi Arabia and the UAE fail to put to rest a rift between rival parties, officials say.
- Command of Joint Forces of Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen: Interception, downing in Yemeni airspace of enemy drone launched by Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia from Imran SPA 07 Sep 2019 -- Spokesman of Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen Colonel Turki Al-Malki said that the coalition joint forces managed to intercept and shoot down the airspace of the Republic of Yemen an enemy drone launched by the Iranian-backed terrorist militia from Imran towards the Kingdom.
- Syrian air defenses target three explosives-laden drones in Hama Press TV 07 Sep 2019 -- Syrian air defense systems have intercepted three drones launched by "terrorists" in the west-central province of Hama.
- Syrian Air Defences Prevent Drone Attack on Military Sites - Reports Sputnik 07 Sep 2019 -- Earlier, the Russian Defence Ministry reported that two terrorist drones were destroyed near the Hmeymim Air Base in western Syria before they could cause any damage or casualties.
- US sent 30,000 trucks of arms to Kurds in northern Syria: Erdogan Press TV 07 Sep 2019 -- Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan has again lambasted the United States for its offering of unwavering support to Kurds in northern Syria, saying Washington has been overgenerous to the Kurdish militants in the region.
- Four, including a civilian, killed across Iraq in day of militant attacks Press TV 07 Sep 2019 -- At least three members of Iraq's security forces and one civilian have been killed in separate attacks by militants across various parts of the Arab country.
- Iraq's Kurdistan not allowing displaced Arab residents home due to disputes with Baghdad: HRW Press TV 07 Sep 2019 -- Iraq's Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) is preventing some 4,200 displaced Arab residents from returning to villages liberated from Deash Takfiri terrorists, the Human Rights Watch has revealed, in a move that seems to be aimed at boosting the semi-autonomous region's bid for independence.
- Statement by NATO Spokesperson Oana Lungescu NATO 07 Sep 2019
- Russia and Ukraine begin prisoner exchange in landmark deal Press TV 07 Sep 2019 -- Russia and Ukraine have begun a major prisoner exchange in a move that is expected to ease tensions between Kiev and Moscow and pave the way for serious negotiations over a years-long conflict in eastern Ukraine.
- Freed Prisoners Arrive In Ukraine, Russia In Swap Hailed As 'First Step' Toward Ending War RFE/RL 07 Sep 2019 -- Russia and Ukraine have exchanged a total of 70 prisoners in a move praised by the West as an opportunity to improve tense relations between Kyiv and Moscow.
- President Putin Has Phone Conversation With Zelenskiy Sputnik 07 Sep 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has had a phone conversation with his Ukrainian counterpart Volodymyr Zelenskiy, the Russian president's press service reported on Saturday.
- Russia, Ukraine Conduct Mass Prisoner Swap VOA 07 Sep 2019 -- A long-awaited prisoner swap between Russia and Ukraine has taken place, raising hopes of renewed efforts to end the war in Ukraine's east between Ukrainian forces and Russian-backed separatists.
- Palestinian drone hits Israeli military vehicle Press TV 07 Sep 2019 -- A Palestinian drone has struck an Israeli position from the southern Gaza Strip area of Rafah, inflicting damage on a military vehicle.
- Israeli Military Retaliates After Vehicle Damaged by Gaza 'Terror Squad' Drone - IDF Sputnik 07 Sep 2019 -- Earlier, the Israel Defence Forces reported that five rockets had been fired from inside the Gaza Strip into Israel on Friday night, and said it had responded by attacking Hamas targets in northern Gaza. The incident followed the reported deaths of two Palestinian teens in clashes with Israeli soldiers along the border.
- South Sudanese Refugees Transform a Camp Into a City in Uganda VOA 07 Sep 2019 -- Bidi Bidi refugee camp is home to nearly a quarter-million South Sudanese who fled the violence of civil war in their home country. Its progressive policies allow refugees to live, farm and work together while they wait to return to their home country. But, as conditions are slow to improve in South Sudan, many refugees are opting to stay.
- India Says Suspected Militants Trying to Infiltrate Kashmir VOA 07 Sep 2019 -- India's top national security adviser said Saturday that a large number of suspected militants are trying to infiltrate Kashmir and accused Pakistan of trying to foment trouble in the region.
- Venezuela's prosecutors to charge Juan Guaido with 'high treason' Press TV 07 Sep 2019 -- Venezuelan prosecutors say they would charge opposition figure Juan Guaido with "high treason" for plotting to hand over a disputed oil-rich border area to foreign companies, in exchange for political support from Britain.
- Guaido Ally, Under Spanish Protection, Forming Shadow Venezuelan Cabinet VOA 07 Sep 2019 -- Venezuela opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez is forming a shadow government from his refuge at the Spanish Embassy in Caracas, despite an agreement that prohibited him from engaging in political activity when the embassy granted him asylum five months ago.
- Russia's Voters Head to Polls Following Summer of Political Turmoil VOA 07 Sep 2019 -- Russians braced for key local elections in Moscow and St. Petersburg Sunday – as the exclusion of opposition candidates and imprisonment of anti-government demonstrators cast doubt on the legitimacy of races that analysts say Kremlin-backed candidates still risk losing.
- Putin To Boost Moscow Mayor's Profile Ahead Of Key Elections RFE/RL 07 Sep 2019 -- President Vladimir Putin is expected to use a high-profile visit with Moscow's mayor to lend the ruling party public support on the eve of local and regional elections at the center of weeks of Russian street protests.
- Expert: North Korean Call for UN to Cut Aid Staff Seen as Pressure for Sanctions Relief VOA 07 Sep 2019 -- North Korea's call on the United Nations to cut its international staff involved in humanitarian work there could be a move to gain leverage over sanctions relief, a human rights expert said Thursday.
- Iran says activates advanced centrifuges to boost enriched uranium Global Times 07 Sep 2019 -- In a fresh move to reduce commitments subject to the 2015 landmark nuclear deal, Iran started up advanced centrifuges on Saturday to boost the country's stockpile of enriched uranium, state TV reported.
- Iran's knowledge-based company manufactures "Decanter Centrifuge" IRNA 07 Sep 2019 -- Researchers at a knowledge-based company have succeeded in manufacturing an Iranian "Decanter Centrifuge" for water and wastewater treatment using indigenous knowledge.
- Iran reducing JCPOA commitments, a reciprocal act IRNA 07 Sep 2019 -- Spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) announced Saturday that Iran's decision to reduce commitments under the 2015 nuclear deal serves the purpose of taking reciprocal measures in line with the implementation of the international deal.
- AEOI spokesman announces details of 3rd step of reducing JCPOA commitments ISNA 07 Sep 2019 -- The spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Behrouz Kamalvandi has announced details of Iran's 3rd step of reducing commitments under the 2015 nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Iran Announces Centrifuge Use That Looks To Violate Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 07 Sep 2019 -- Iran has started to inject advanced centrifuges with uranium gas, an Iranian nuclear spokesman has said, in a move that violates the country's 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.
- Iran activates advanced centrifuges as deadline passes Press TV 07 Sep 2019 -- Iran says it has started up advanced centrifuges to boost the country's stockpile of enriched uranium, warning signatories of the 2015 nuclear deal that the clock is ticking for them to salvage the landmark agreement in the face of pressure by the United Stats.
- Russia calls Iranian actions strong signal to restore balance to JCPOA IRNA 07 Sep 2019 -- Russia's representative to international organizations in Vienna and the International Atomic Energy Agency implicitly called Iran's third step a strong signal to other members of the JCPOA to restore balance to this international agreement.
- Zarif highlights Iran's lawful remedial acts under JCPOA IRNA 07 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in a message referred to US' various violations of the UN resolution and offering bribes for theft of oil and asked whether Iran remedial acts under the nuclear deal are unlawful.
- US and reduction of Iran's commitments on nuclear R&D IRNA 07 Sep 2019 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran on Friday (September 6) realized its pledge to take a third step in reducing its obligations in the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action as a response to the European side's failure to meet its commitments under the JCPOA and the US' withdrawal from the deal.
- Army commander says "maximum pressure policy" on Iran has failed IRNA 07 Sep 2019 -- The commander of the Army of Iran Major-General Abdorrahim Mousavi said on Saturday that the US had made startling miscalculations depicting a horrible future for the Islamic Republic, but now they have come to realize the defeat of their maximum pressure policy against Iran.
- Bolton 'eager' to see IAEA report on Iran amid Feruta's visit Press TV 07 Sep 2019 -- US National Security Adviser John Bolton has commented on the acting IAEA chief's visit to Iran, making false accusations against Tehran with no evidence.
- US resorting to 'extortion,' not Iran, Zarif tells Pompeo Press TV 07 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has dismissed the latest claim by his American counterpart about Iran's nuclear "extortion" after the Islamic Republic announced that it has fired up advanced centrifuges to boost its enriched uranium stockpiles.
- Iran's gasoline, LNG exports hit weekly high sale of over $100m Press TV 07 Sep 2019 -- Iran's exports of gasoline and liquefied natural gas (LNG) have hit a new record as the value of trade at a local energy market exceeds $100 million in a week.
- IAEA inspectors in Tehran to report new activities as Iran launches advanced centrifuges Press TV 07 Sep 2019 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) says it has inspectors on the ground in Iran who will be able to look into Tehran's move to turn on advanced centrifuges to increase the country's uranium stockpiles.
- Iran signs contract for RO-RO ramp at Caspian Sea port Press TV 07 Sep 2019 -- Iran has signed a major contract to build port facilities on the Caspian Sea that would enable terminal operations for roll-on roll-off (RO-RO) ships.
- Bolton Says Iranian Oil Tanker Now In Syrian Port RFE/RL 07 Sep 2019 -- U.S. national-security adviser John Bolton says the Iranian oil tanker released last month from detention in Gibraltar and still sought by U.S. authorities has arrived in the Syrian port of Tartus.
- France Says Will Make Every Effort to Bring Iran to Compliance With Nuclear Deal Sputnik 07 Sep 2019 -- France will continue making every effort to return Iran to the full implementation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), French Defen?e Minister Florence Parly said on Saturday.
- Iran Briefly Considered Withdrawal From NPT - Atomic Agency Sputnik 07 Sep 2019 -- Following the US withdrawal from the Iranian nuclear deal and reinstatement of sanctions, Tehran was considering the issue of withdrawal from the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) but later Iran changed its mind, spokesman for Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Behrouz Kamalvandi said on Saturday.
- Iran Says It's Taking Third Step to Reduce Nuclear Commitments in Retaliation for US Breach of JCPOA Sputnik 07 Sep 2019 -- Earlier, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said that Iran has lifted limitations on its research and development field as part of the scaling back its commitments under the 2015 JCPOA nuclear deal.
- China firmly opposes U.S. hegemonism over trading issue: FM spokesperson People's Daily 07 Sep 2019 -- The U.S. side's irresponsible comment on normal business cooperation between Chinese companies and other countries is typical hegemonism, and China firmly opposes to this, Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Geng Shuang said Friday.
- HKSAR gov't strongly condemns vandalistic acts of radical protesters People's Daily 07 Sep 2019 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government has strongly condemned the vandalistic acts of radical protesters in the vicinity of Prince Edward, Mong Kok and Yau Ma Tei on Friday.
- Hong Kong Officials Limit Airport Transportation to Prevent Protests VOA 07 Sep 2019 -- Hong Kong severely limited transportation services to its airport Saturday in an attempt to prevent any demonstrations from taking place there this weekend.
- China's lunar rover travels over 284 meters on moon's far side People's Daily 07 Sep 2019 -- China's lunar rover Yutu-2 has driven 284.66 meters on the far side of the moon to conduct scientific exploration on the virgin territory.
- Russia's Soyuz Spacecraft With Humanoid Robot Lands in Kazakhstan Sputnik 07 Sep 2019 -- Fedor, Russia's first robot which flew to the International Space Station, returned to Earth on board the Soyuz MS-14 spacecraft, space agency Roscosmos said in the early hours of Saturday.
- PM condoles demise of Shri Ram Jethmalani Prime Minister of India 07 Sep 2019 -- "Friends, the last stop of Chandrayaan's journey may not have been optimistic, but we also have to remember that Chandrayaan's journey has been fantastic, it has been life. The country has rejoiced many times during this entire mission. Our orbiter is full of pride at this time, and is whirring around the moon."
- India Loses Communication With Its Moon Lander Vikram During Descent Sputnik 07 Sep 2019 -- The historic Lunar mission Chandrayaan-2 was to make Indian the fourth nation to land on the moon, following Russia, the United States and China.
- Turkey's Opposition Leader Faces 10 Years in Prison on Terror Charges VOA 07 Sep 2019 -- The leading figure from Turkey's main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) is facing almost 10 years in prison on terror charges.
- British PM set to defy law rather than seek Brexit delay Global Times 07 Sep 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Friday insisted he "will not" ask the European Union to delay Brexit again, even if he is required to do so by law.
- After Ukraine-Russia Prisoner Swap, Can Zelenskiy Capitalize On Momentum? RFE/RL 07 Sep 2019 -- "Our guys are home." As those words were shared by President Volodymyr Zelenskiy on September 7, the Ukrainian nation simultaneously celebrated and breathed a collective sigh of relief upon learning that 35 of their compatriots who had been imprisoned in Russia -- some for several years -- were back on their native soil.
- U.S. Sends Delegation To Ukraine To Prepare For Winter Energy Shortage RFE/RL 07 Sep 2019 -- The U.S. Department of Energy is sending a delegation to Ukraine to help the country address a possible energy shortage this winter as Russia seeks to end gas transit.
- Ukraine's Ratings Upgraded By Fitch As Debt Declines, IMF Deal Likely RFE/RL 07 Sep 2019 -- Ukraine's improving financial stability and renewed commitment to reform has pushed a leading Wall Street firm to upgrade the country's debt ratings.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|