01 September 2019 Military News
- Taliban storms another N. Afghan city, clashes ongoing People's Daily 01 Sep 2019 -- Taliban militants stormed Pul-e-Khumri city, capital of northern Baghlan province, on Sunday, one day after they failed to capture the capital of neighboring Kunduz province, local officials confirmed.
- Afghan forces 'completely clear' Kunduz after Taliban raid Press TV 01 Sep 2019 -- Afghan government forces have cleared Kunduz City of Taliban militants, officials say, following an attempt by the militants to take over the strategic northern city.
- Official: US, Taliban close to deal amid intensifying fighting Press TV 01 Sep 2019 -- Negotiators from the US and the Taliban are "at the threshold of an agreement" which would reduce fighting and allow the continuation of full peace talks among Afghans, says a top US official.
- Taliban Launches Second Attack On Afghan City Despite Peace Talks RFE/RL 01 Sep 2019 -- At least six people have been killed after the Taliban launched an attack on the northeastern Afghan city of Puli Khumri, as the U.S. special envoy has said negotiators are on the threshold of an agreement to end the country's nearly 18-year conflict.
- Taliban Launch Another Attack on City in Afghanistan's North - Afghan Interior Ministry Sputnik 01 Sep 2019 -- The Taliban movement has launched an attack in Afghanistan's northern Baghlan province amid peace talks with Washington, whereas government forces say "situation is under control."
- Taliban Insurgents Assault Second Afghan City in Two Days VOA 01 Sep 2019 -- The Taliban has launched an attack on a second Afghan city in two days, even as a ninth round of negotiations with the United States on ending the war wind down.
- US-Taliban Talks in Doha Fail to Yield Final Peace Deal on Afghanistan Sputnik 01 Sep 2019 -- The United States and Taliban have concluded the ninth day of the ninth round of peace negotiations in Qatar with no final agreement in sight, a Sputnik correspondent reported on Saturday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Trump gave away well-guarded US spy satellite secrets in anti-Iran tweet: Report Press TV 01 Sep 2019 -- US President Donald Trump, known for his erratic tweeting, has seemingly given away important details about American's military satellite after posting an image of what he said was a failed Iranian space rocket launch.
- US military in Guyana to help plots against Venezuela, dent China, Russia inroads Press TV 01 Sep 2019 -- A US military contingent has been deployed to the impoverished South American nation of Guyana for the first time in a decade in a bid to beef up its regional influence as it seeks to press for a military intervention in neighboring Venezuela and undermine growing Chinese and Russian presence in the region.
- Russia successfully launches military satellite Global Times 01 Sep 2019 -- Russia on Friday successfully launched a military satellite from its Plesetsk cosmodrome in the northern Arkhangelsk region, the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- Iran unveils new precision drone IRNA 01 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Army unveiled a new homegrown jet-propelled drone, named "Kian", on Sunday capable of carrying long-time surveillance missions and hitting the targets with high precision.
- Iran unveils combat, defense drone "Kian" with pinpoint accuracy ISNA 01 Sep 2019 -- Iran has unveiled a combat and defense drone dubbed "Kian" with pinpoint accuracy.
- Iran unveils high-speed tracking, long-haul strike drones Press TV 01 Sep 2019 -- Iran has unveiled a drone in two different versions, for swift tracking and identification and for precision strikes on distant targets.
- Iran Unveils Recon, Long-Range Strike Drone It Says Can Operate 'Far From Country's Borders' Sputnik 01 Sep 2019 -- In recent months, the Islamic Republic has unveiled a host of new military equipment ranging from missiles and drones to air defence systems and jamming gear amid escalating tensions with the US.
- Iran's naval drills kick off in Caspian Sea ISNA 01 Sep 2019 -- Iran's Navy has held a massive four-day drill dubbed "Sustainable Security 2019" in the Caspian Sea on Sunday with the message of peace and friendship.
- Taiwan to buy F-16s from the U.S. relatively cheaply: lawmakers CNA 01 Sep 2019 -- Taiwan is expected to spend NT$250 billion (US$8.08 billion) to buy 66 F-16 fighter jets from the United States, which will put the cost of a single aircraft at a relatively cheap price of US$121.7 million, according to Taiwanese lawmakers.
- UK Minister Claims HMS Queen Elizabeth Carrier Not Needed to Take on 'Cheeky Iranians' in the Gulf Sputnik 01 Sep 2019 -- The statement comes as the captain of the UK Royal Navy's most powerful ship admitted that HMS Queen Elizabeth suffers weekly floods, which he said are "inevitable".
- Pence: United States Will Continue To Support Ukraine RFE/RL 01 Sep 2019 -- U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said the United States will continue to support Ukraine in the country's conflict with Russia and its right to full territorial integrity.
- Remarks by President Trump After Marine One Arrival The White House 01 Sep 2019
- Funding Sought for Emergency Education for Millions of Children in Crisis VOA 01 Sep 2019 -- A global fund for education in emergencies is seeking $1.8 billion by 2021 to provide schooling for nine million children and youths caught in conflict and other situations of crisis. The fund, called Education Cannot Wait was set up at the World Humanitarian Summit in 2016 to provide education for children deprived of this opportunity.
- Saudi-led coalition has no reservation to shed all Yemenis' blood: Houthi Press TV 01 Sep 2019 -- The leader of Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement has condemned the Saudi-led military coalition over air raids that hit a detention center in the western Yemeni province of Dhamar, stating that the strikes show that the alliance has no reservation to shed the blood of all Yemenis, including its own mercenaries.
- UAE-backed militiamen committed some 7,000 rights violations in Yemen in August: Rights group Press TV 01 Sep 2019 -- An independent human rights group says it documented 6,978 cases of grave human rights violations committed by militiamen backed by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) against civilians in the southern Yemeni provinces of Aden, Abyan and Shabwah during the month of August.
- 60 killed, 100 injured in fresh Saudi strikes on Yemen's Dhamar Press TV 01 Sep 2019 -- Saudi Arabia has carried out new air raids on Yemen's western Dhamar Province, killing at least 60 people and wounding 100 others.
- Arab Coalition fighter jets target Houthi militia in Hajjah province, Yemen SPA 01 Sep 2019 -- A field commander of the Iranian-backed Houthi terrorist militia has been killed in raids by Arab coalition fighter jets to support legitimacy in Yemen targeting militia positions in Hajjah province in northwest Yemen.
- Yemeni Prime Minister Affirms his Government's Commitment to Peace and Implementation of Stockholm Agreement SPA 01 Sep 2019 -- Yemeni Prime Minister Maeen Abdulmalik affirmed his government's commitment to the peace and working with the international envoy to achieve progress in implementing Stockholm Agreement, accusing the Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia of continuing to obstruct the process.
- Red Cross: More than 100 Believed Dead in Airstrike on Detention Center VOA 01 Sep 2019 -- The International Committee of the Red Cross says more than 100 people are believed to be dead after the Saudi-led coalition fighting Iran-backed Houti rebels launched an airstrike on a detention center in southwestern Yemen.
- Russia says US strikes in Syria's Idlib breached agreements Press TV 01 Sep 2019 -- The United States has carried out a number of airstrikes in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, where Russia monitors de-escalation efforts, prompting a note of protest from Moscow.
- Russian Military Says US Strike in Idlib, Syria Led to Multiple Casualties, Damage Sputnik 01 Sep 2019 -- Earlier, the Pentagon confirmed that the US-led coalition had conducted strikes against the leaders of an al-Qaeda*-linked militant group in Syria's Idlib province.
- Russia: US Ignores Cease-Fire to Launch Strike on Idlib VOA 01 Sep 2019 -- Russia has accused the U.S. of endangering a cease-fire in the Syrian province of Idlib by conducting an airstrke there.
- Netanyahu repeats pledge to annex West Bank settlements Press TV 01 Sep 2019 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has repeated a provocative pledge to annex all the Palestinian territories on which Israeli settlements are built in the occupied West Bank, as he strives to shore up support for his right-wing Likud party ahead of September elections.
- Safeguarding Lebanon interests Hezbollah's main approach: Iran top security official Press TV 01 Sep 2019 -- The secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) says protecting the interests of the Lebanese people is the main approach followed by the Hezbollah resistance movement, adding that the movement enjoys significant popular support in the country.
- Hezbollah says targets Israeli military vehicle, all crews killed, injured Press TV 01 Sep 2019 -- Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah says it has targeted an Israeli military vehicle near the border with the occupied Palestinian lands, killing and injuring all forces on board.
- Israeli artillery shells southern Lebanon, drone drops incendiary devices along border Press TV 01 Sep 2019 -- Israeli artillery units have struck the southern part of Lebanon shortly after an Israeli drone violated the Lebanese airspace, and dropped incendiary material that sparked a fire in a forest at the border.
- Netanyahu Says Israel 'Prepared for Any Scenario' Following Heavy Exchange of Fire With Hezbollah at Lebanon Border Sputnik 01 Sep 2019 -- The Israeli military launched mortar, artillery and air strikes against multiple targets in southern Lebanon on Sunday, responding to a Hezbollah anti-tank missile attack targeting Israel Defence Force positions along the border. Lebanon's prime minister has called on the United States and France to intervene to calm the crisis.
- Lebanese Prime Minister Asks US, France to Intervene in Row With Israel After Sunday Clash Sputnik 01 Sep 2019 -- Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri asked on Sunday in phone talks with US State Secretary Mike Pompeo and French Presidential Adviser Emmanuel Bonne for the two nations to intervene after the escalations on the Lebanese-Israeli border.
- Israeli Military Striking Targets Inside Lebanon in Response to Anti-Tank Missile Attack - IDF Sputnik 01 Sep 2019 -- Tensions between Israel and Lebanon began escalating last Sunday, after Beirut accused Tel Aviv of carrying out a drone attack against the media headquarters of political party and paramilitary group Hezbollah. Late last week, Israel claimed Hezbollah was trying to create missile factories inside Lebanon with assistance from Iran's Revolutionary Guards. Hezbollah denied the claims.
- Israeli Drones Hit Southern Lebanon With Fire Bombs, Lebanese TV Claims Sputnik 01 Sep 2019 -- Israeli drones have dropped flammables on a Lebanese grove near the border with Israel, Lebanese Al-Manar TV channelreported on Sunday.
- Hezbollah Fires Anti-Tank Missiles at Israeli Targets VOA 01 Sep 2019 -- The pro-Iranian Lebanese group Hezbollah fired several anti-tank missiles at an Israeli army base and a military ambulance, but there were no casualties, according to the Israeli army. The army said several of the missiles struck their targets and Israel fired dozens of mortars at Hezbollah targets in southern Lebanon.
- UN chief vows continued support for DR Congo's army Press TV 01 Sep 2019 -- United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has pledged continued support for the Democratic Republic of the Congo's army fighting an array of militias.
- UN chief pays tribute to the courage of DR Congo citizens, and the sacrifice of blue helmets UN News 01 Sep 2019 -- On the second day of his visit to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres saluted the courage of the country's citizens, as well as the sacrifice of the peacekeepers who have died serving them.
- Remarks by President Trump in Briefing on Hurricane Dorian The White House 01 Sep 2019
- Russia Is The Focus As Ukrainian, Polish Presidents Meet In Warsaw RFE/RL 01 Sep 2019 -- Russia was Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy's main topic of discussion during his first official visit to Poland.
- Zarif says Iran's withdrawal from scaling down 3rd step in JCPOA probable IRNA 01 Sep 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Sunday that in case the Europeans fulfill their pledges in due time, Iran might step back from implementation of its third step in reducing its obligations within the JCPOA.
- Iran to decide further measures on JCPOA within days IRNA 01 Sep 2019 -- Chief of Staff of the Presidential Office Mahmoud Vaezi said on Sunday the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action is valuable for Iran if Iran enjoys benefits of the deal, otherwise, Iran will decide on its further measures envisaged by the JCPOA in the next days.
- Iran's strategy is to maintain nuclear deal IRNA 01 Sep 2019 -- Iran says it will continue to maintain the 2015 nuclear deal, saying the agreement is unchangeable.
- Iran to sell oil to any, all buyers: FM Zarif ISNA 01 Sep 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif responded to US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo's remarks, stressing Iran will sell oil to any and all buyers.
- Keeping JCPOA Iran's approach: President Rouhani ISNA 01 Sep 2019 -- Presidents of the Islamic Republic of Iran and France stressed the importance of more negotiations, relations and cooperation between Tehran and Paris on different bilateral, regional and international issues.
- Iran may not take third step to reduce nuclear commitments if Europe acts: Zarif Press TV 01 Sep 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says Tehran may not take the "third step" in reducing its commitments under a 2015 multilateral nuclear deal if the Europeans take necessary action to fulfill their obligations under the agreement.
- Zarif Says Iran Ready to Stop Third Round of JCPOA Scrapping if Europe Fulfils its Obligations Sputnik 01 Sep 2019 -- Earlier on Sunday, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi told the IRIB broadcaster that the third step of discontinuing Iran's commitments under JCPOA is developed and ready, and it will be harsher than the previous steps.
- Rouhani, Macron Discuss JCPOA: Tehran Warns of Its Reduced 'Reversible' Nuclear Deal Commitments Sputnik 01 Sep 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has informed French leader Emmanuel Macron in a phone call that Tehran will launch the third stage in reducing its obligations under the nuclear deal later in September if Europe fails to live up to its part of commitments, noting that this step, as well as the previous ones, will be reversible.
- Hong Kong Protesters Block Roads Near the Airport Sunday VOA 01 Sep 2019 -- Pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong blocked roads near the city's international airport as part of another day of demonstrations Sunday.
- Violent Hong Kong Protests Meet Violent Police Response VOA 01 Sep 2019 -- Using water cannons, gunshots, batons and tear gas, Hong Kong police pursued protesters through city streets and into subway stations, seeking people who defied and blocked police in several districts on a tense and chaotic Saturday. The demonstrations coincided with the fifth anniversary of Beijing's denial of free, unimpeded elections in the territory.
- HK govt, MTR, Airport authorities condemn continuous violent protests Global Times 01 Sep 2019 -- HK police arrest 63 protesters at two MTR stations, strongly condemn criminal actions
- Protesters gather at HK airport despite injunction, ordered to disperse Global Times 01 Sep 2019 -- Radical protesters in Hong Kong again gathered at the Hong Kong International Airport on Sunday despite a court injunction, and police have warned them to leave immediately.
- HKSAR gov't severely condemns illegal, violent acts of radical protesters People's Daily 01 Sep 2019 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government has severely condemned the illegal and violent acts of the radical protesters, which continued to escalate with no regard for the safety of the public.
- Hong Kong protesters gather at airport, disrupt transport Press TV 01 Sep 2019 -- Hundreds of protesters in Hong Kong have assembled outside the city's international airport and disrupted transport by blocking roads as the key business hub is facing its biggest political crisis in decades.
- Five Years After Beijing Ruled Out Democracy, Hong Kong is Aflame Radio Free Asia 01 Sep 2019 -- Hundreds of protesters converged on Hong Kong's International Airport and a major subway terminus on Sunday, smashing up a train control room, setting up barricades outside the airport and disrupting check-in and transportation services after a night of violence and growing public anger at the authorities.
- New US, China Tariffs Take Effect on Each Other's Exports VOA 01 Sep 2019 -- The U.S. and China imposed new tariffs on each other's exported goods on Sunday, the latest skirmish in the lengthy and contentious trade war between the world's two biggest economies.
- Hong Kong suffers another bout of pain Global Times 01 Sep 2019 -- Hong Kong, known as Pearl of the Orient, a hub for international trade and finance and a food haven, underwent another bout of pain on Saturday as a large number of radical protesters organized illegal rallies blocking traffic, damaging public property including the government complex, and attacking police with Molotov cocktails and bricks. The beautiful city boasting modern facilities and famed for its order was left with smoke, garbage and chaos after each violent demonstration.
- Police fire water cannons as protesters attack HK govt compound Global Times 01 Sep 2019 -- Hong Kong police have fired water cannons at violent protesters who have hurled hard objects into the Hong Kong government complex, media reported.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|