29 August 2019 Military News
- Trump: US Troops Would Remain in Afghanistan After Deal with Taliban VOA 29 Aug 2019 -- President Donald Trump said Thursday that the U.S. plans to reduce the number of American troops in Afghanistan from 14,000 to 8,600 and then will determine further drawdowns.
- Trump Claims US is 'Always Going to Keep a Presence in Afghanistan' Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- Washington and the Taliban have been trying to strike a peace deal regulating the withdrawal of foreign troops from Afghanistan while including assurances from the Taliban that the country will not be used as a safe haven for terrorists.
- Trump Says U.S. To Retain Military Presence In Afghanistan, Even With Peace Deal RFE/RL 29 Aug 2019 -- President Donald Trump says the United States will continue to maintain a military presence in Afghanistan even after a peace deal with the Taliban is reached.
- Trump: US to keep 8,600 troops in Afghanistan after deal with Taliban Press TV 29 Aug 2019 -- President Donald Trump has said the United States will keep thousands of troops in Afghanistan even if Washington reaches an agreement with the Taliban.
- Final Touches Being Put on Deal As Taliban Reviews Proposal On U.S. Withdrawal RFE/RL 29 Aug 2019 -- As U.S. and Taliban officials look to apparently seal a historic deal to end the 18-year Afghan conflict, leaders of the extremist militant group are reviewing the proposed agreement at an undisclosed location along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Department of Defense Establishes U.S. Space Command DoD 29 Aug 2019 -- At the direction of the President of the United States, Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper established U.S. Space Command (USSPACECOM) today as the eleventh Unified Combatant Command. Gen. John W. Raymond is its Senate confirmed commander.
- Space Command Launches Amid Threats from China, Russia VOA 29 Aug 2019 -- The United States Space Command officially launched Thursday to defend the military's "ultimate high ground."
- Remarks by President Trump at Event Establishing the U.S. Space Command The White House 29 Aug 2019
- The Trump Administration Is Establishing the United States Space Command to Advance American Interests and Defend Our Nation The White House 29 Aug 2019
- Upgraded Patriot-3 Intercepts Cruise Missile at Record Distance - Lockheed Martin Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- An upgraded Patriot 3 (PAC-3) air defence missile successfully intercepted a cruise missile at a record distance, Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman announced in news releases on Thursday.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper's Meeting with Saudi Vice Minister of Defense His Highness Prince Khalid bin Salman DoD 29 Aug 2019
- Army closer to delivering new infantry squad vehicle Army News 29 Aug 2019 -- The Army is one step closer to fielding a new infantry squad vehicle after naming three industry leaders to develop prototypes, Aug. 23, 2019.
- Sortie Condition Alpha Set in Mayport; Ships get Underway as Hurricane Dorian Approaches NNS 29 Aug 2019 -- Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Southern Command/U.S. 4th Fleet (USNAVSO/FOURTHFLT) ordered U.S. Navy ships homeported at Naval Station Mayport to set Sortie Condition Alpha as Hurricane Dorian heads toward Florida's Atlantic coast.
- CNAL Squadrons HURREVAC to Various Locations NNS 29 Aug 2019 -- Commander, Patrol and Reconnaissance Wing Eleven (CPRW-11) and Patrol Squadron (VP) 30 have ordered aircraft at Naval Air Station (NAS) Jacksonville to set Sortie Condition Alpha and evacuate as Hurricane Dorian heads toward Florida's Atlantic Coast.
- Executive Order Aims to Help Transitioning Troops DoD News 29 Aug 2019 -- An executive order signed last year by President Donald J. Trump has already been especially helpful to transitioning service members, Karin Orvis, the director of the Defense Suicide Prevention Office, said.
- Marines Test Humvee Replacement Vehicle aboard Kearsarge NNS 29 Aug 2019 -- Marines from 3rd Battalion, 8th Marines based out of Camp Lejune, North Carolina, transported three configurations of the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle (JLTV) to the Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Kearsarge (LHD 3) for a load test August 27.
- USS Emory S. Land Visits Darwin during Regional Operations NNS 29 Aug 2019 -- The submarine tender USS Emory S. Land (AS 39) arrived in Darwin for a scheduled port visit, Aug. 27.
- NMCB-133 Wraps Up 2019 Deployment NNS 29 Aug 2019 -- Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 133 conducted a relief in place/transfer of authority (RIP/TOA) ceremony at Camp Mitchell on board Naval Station Rota, Spain, August 16.
- SNMG1 Carries Out Maritime Express 2019 NNS 29 Aug 2019 -- Standing NATO Maritime Group One (SNMG1) continued conducting operations under the overarching Maritime Express construct during the group's second semester deployment.
- CIAT Trains More Ships NNS 29 Aug 2019 -- The Center for Surface Combat Systems' (CSCS) Combined Integrated Air and Missile Defense (IAMD) / Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) Trainer (CIAT), onboard Naval Base San Diego (NBSD), recently trained Sailors from USS Lake Champlain (CG 57) and USS Cowpens (CG 63).
- Air Force Research Laboratory develops product to provide F-16 pilots with better visibility during rainstorms US Air Force 29 Aug 2019 -- The Air Force Research Laboratory developed a product that repels water from aircraft transparencies and it will soon be available to the entire United States Air Force F-16 Fighting Falcon community. The product, called HydroSkip, addresses the issue of limited visibility caused by heavy rain, which can impair the pilot's ability to navigate the plane and land safely.
- Hurricane Hunters fly Hurricane Dorian US Air Force 29 Aug 2019 -- Three WC-103Js and one C-130J Super Hercules aircraft from the 403rd Wing departed Keesler Air Force Base Aug. 26 for the Dutch Caribbean island, Curaçao to provide weather reconnaissance support for Hurricane Dorian.
- Esper Welcomes Saudi Vice Defense Minister to Pentagon for Talks DoD News 29 Aug 2019 -- Defense Secretary Dr. Mark T. Esper welcomed Saudi Arabia's vice defense minister, Prince Khalid bin Salman, to the Pentagon.
- NATO Deputy Secretary General discusses climate change and defence in Helsinki NATO 29 Aug 2019 -- NATO Deputy Secretary General Rose Gottemoeller visited Helsinki on Thursday (29 August 2019) to participate in an informal meeting of EU Defence Ministers. At a working session on climate change and defence, the Deputy Secretary General noted that climate change affects the security of Allied and partner nations. She outlined five ways in which NATO is tackling climate change – through strategic analysis; support for scientific cooperation; enhancing energy efficiency and environmental protection in the military; building resilience to natural disasters; and capability planning.
- Su-57 has finer craftsmanship; weapons bay needs improvement Global Times 29 Aug 2019 -- The craftsmanship of the Su-57, believed to be Russia's best fighter jet, is finer than expected but small details, such as the weapons bay door, appear to require improvement, a Global Times reporter observed.
- PLA to participate in Russian military drills Global Times 29 Aug 2019 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) will take part in Russia's Tsentr-2019 (Center-2019) strategic drills from September 16 to 21 in the Orenburg region of Russia, a second year in a row, according to the Chinese Ministry of National Defense on Thursday.
- Bolton claims China cloned F-35 by stealing its secrets Press TV 29 Aug 2019 -- US National Security Adviser John Bolton has accused China of stealing secrets of the Lockheed Martin F-35 fighter jet and using them as the basis to develop a stealth warplane of its own.
- PLA garrison in Hong Kong completes 22nd routine rotation People's Daily 29 Aug 2019 -- The Hong Kong Garrison of the Chinese People's Liberation Army on Thursday morning completed the 22nd rotation since it began garrisoning Hong Kong in 1997.
- China conducts rotation of forces at Hong Kong garrison Press TV 29 Aug 2019 -- China has conducted an annual rotation of forces at its garrison in Hong Kong, which has been plagued by unrest over the past three months.
- Chinese Troop Rotation in Hong Kong Raises Fears of Beijing Intervention Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- The movement of thousands of People's Liberation Army (PLA) troops from mainland China to Hong Kong sparked concerns for anti-extradition demonstrators after the annual military rotation was mistaken for Beijing intervention.
- PLA garrison in Macao conducts 20th routine rotation People's Daily 29 Aug 2019 -- The Macao Garrison of the Chinese People's Liberation Army in early Thursday morning conducted the 20th rotation of its members since it began garrisoning Macao in 1999.
- China Rotates Fresh Troops into Hong Kong Amid Political Turmoil VOA 29 Aug 2019 -- China has deployed a fresh contingent of troops into its military base in Hong Kong amid the territory's worst political crisis since returning to Chinese rule in 1997.
- Chinese Military Vows 'New' Contributions to Stability in Hong Kong - Report Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- The news comes amid ongoing protests in the financial hub, which reportedly turned violent last week for the first time since hundreds of thousands of Hong Kong residents took to the streets almost two months ago.
- Poking the Dragon: US Warplane Spotted Traveling Over Taiwan Strait Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- A US Air Force MC-130J Commando tanker aircraft was spotted taking an unusual flight path through the Taiwan Strait - possibly as provocation toward China.
- Experts: North Korea's Nuclear-Capable Missile Threat Real But Not Imminent VOA 29 Aug 2019 -- The threat of North Korea launching a nuclear-capable missile from a submarine is real but not imminent, experts said, after recent satellite images displayed a docked craft with missile capability.
- Iranian Armed Forces Chief of Staff Explains 'Main Reason' For US Calling Off Strikes Against Iran Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- In June, US President Donald Trump claimed that he had stopped a military strike against the Islamic Republic of Iran just 10 minutes prior to it's execution. The announcement came in the wake of the downing of a US Northrop Grumman RQ-4 Global Hawk spy drone, which Tehran said was in violation of the country's airspace, over the coastal Hormozgan Province, by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
- Israeli Military Accuses Iran of Running Secret Hezbollah Missile Project in Lebanon Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- Already tense relations between Israel and Lebanon got worse this week after a series of drone-related incidents, including a suspected Israeli attack on a Hezbollah press office in Beirut.
- Erdogan Not Ruling Out Purchasing Russia's Su-35, Su-57 Fighters Instead of US F-35 Jets Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- Following a meeting between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan at the MAKS-2019 International Air Show earlier this week, the Russian leader stated that Ankara and Moscow had discussed maintaining cooperation in defence, including on both fourth-generation Su-35 and fifth-generation Su-57 jets. Putin also noted that Turkey is interested not only in purchasing, but also in jointly producing weapons.
- 'Ground Zero': Report from the former Semipalatinsk Test Site in Kazakhstan UN News 29 Aug 2019 -- Every year on August 29, at the initiative of Kazakhstan, the UN and its Member States mark the International Day against Nuclear Tests. This year, the Day coincides with the 70th anniversary of the first atomic bomb test at the Semipalatinsk test site in Kazakhstan. UN News travelled to the remote, eerily beautiful region, for this report.
- Pakistan says it test fires nuclear-capable missile IRNA 29 Aug 2019 -- Pakistan army says it has test fired a 290 km range nuclear-capable ballistic missile to maintain a minimum deterrence level in the subcontinent.
- Pakistan tests surface-to-surface ballistic missile: Military Press TV 29 Aug 2019 -- Pakistan has successfully tested a surface-to-surface ballistic missile amid fresh tensions with India over New Delhi's decision to strip the Muslim-majority region of Jammu and Kashmir of its autonomy.
- Pakistan Test Fires Ghaznavi Ballistic Missile Successfully- Video Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- Pakistan has successfully held a night training test-launch of its surface to surface ballistic missile, Ghaznavi, the country's military said on Thursday.
- Reports: Trump Mulling Suspension Of Military Aid To Ukraine RFE/RL 29 Aug 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump is considering blocking $250 million in military aid to Ukraine, Western media report.
- Pentagon Supports $250 Mln Military Aid to Ukraine Amid Reports Trump Mulls Cuts Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- Earlier, media reported that US President Donald Trump was seriously considering to cut $250 million the United States had planned to provide in military assistance to Ukraine.
- Bringing nuclear test ban treaty into force a 'central pillar' of global disarmament push, says UN chief UN News 29 Aug 2019 -- The legacy of nuclear testing is "nothing but destruction," and in a world of rising tensions, "our collective security depends" on bringing a global treaty into force that bans nuclear explosions, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has said.
- Pence To Visit Iceland Over Concerns Of 'Russian Aggression' In Arctic Region RFE/RL 29 Aug 2019 -- U.S. Vice President Mike Pence is scheduled to visit Iceland on September 4 for "national security-focused" discussions on Russian and Chinese "incursions" in the Arctic Circle, Reuters reports, citing a senior U.S. presidential official.
- 29 August 2019 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 29 Aug 2019
- E3 joint statement on the situation in the South China Sea UK FCO 29 Aug 2019 -- Statement by United Kingdom, France and Germany on the situation in the South China Sea.
- UK, Germany, France Concerned About Tense Situation in South China Sea Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- The United Kingdom, Germany and France are concerned that the situation in the South China Sea could destabilize the region, a joint statement from the trio of countries released by the UK Foreign Ministry on Thursday said.
- US sails warship near disputed islands in South China Sea Press TV 29 Aug 2019 -- The United States Navy has sailed a warship within 12 nautical miles of two disputed islands in the South China Sea that China claims sovereignty over.
- Duterte Arrives in Beijing Amid South China Sea Tensions Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte is visiting China for the fifth time in three years since taking office. He has arrived in Beijing seeking to salvage his China policy.
- Southern Yemeni Separatists Appear to Control Aden VOA 29 Aug 2019 -- After several days of intermittent clashes, Yemen's southern separatist forces appear to have recaptured strategic positions in the interim southern capital of Aden from forces loyal to President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi. The separatists' latest defeat of Hadi's forces came amid accusations by his deputy foreign minister that Saudi-coalition partner the United Arab Emirates launched airstrikes against Hadi's forces on the ground, causing a number of casualties.
- UAE jets bomb Saudi-backed militants in Yemen's Aden: Report Press TV 29 Aug 2019 -- Amid a deepening rift in the Saudi-led coalition waging war on Yemen, Emirati warplanes are reported to have carried out raids against positions of Saudi-backed militants in support of allied separatists in Aden, with reports saying that the UAE-backed separatist forces have regained full control of the port city.
- UN Security Council strongly condemns escalating Houthi attacks on Saudi infrastructure SPA 29 Aug 2019 -- The UN Security Council condemned "in the strongest terms" on Thursday the escalation of Houthi attacks on civilian infrastructure in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and called on the militias "to cease such attacks immediately and without advance conditions."
- Command of Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen: Intercepting and Shooting Down A Drone Launched by Terrorist Houthi Militia from Saada towards KSA SPA 29 Aug 2019 -- The Official Spokesman of Coalition Forces ''Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen'' Colonel Turki Al-Maliki stated that on Thursday morning, the coalition forces managed to intercept and shoot down a drone Launched by Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia from Saada towards the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Command of the Joint Forces of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen: Enemy projectile fired by Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia falls on Abha International Airport SPA 29 Aug 2019 -- Colonel Turki Al-Malki, the official spokesman of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen, said that at 23:35 on Wednesday evening (28 August 2019), an enemy projectile fell on Abha International Airport through which thousands of civilian passengers of different nationalities pass daily.
- Yemeni President Calls on Saudi Arabia to Stop UAE Interference in Yemen - Report Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- Yemeni President Abdrabuh Mansour Hadi called on Riyadh Thursday to intervene and to stop the interference of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in Yemen and to halt airstrikes against Yemeni government forces, Reuters reported, citing the SABA news agency.
- Yemen Houthis Attack Saudi Airport with Cruise Missile - Report Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- Yemen's Houthi rebel forces have attacked Saudi Arabia's Abha Airport with a cruise missile, Reuters reported, citing a spokesperson for the armed Houthi political opposition faction. There has been no official confirmation from Riyadh.
- Hundreds of displaced Syrians return home from neighboring Lebanon Press TV 29 Aug 2019 -- Hundreds of Syrian refugees have returned to their homeland from various areas in neighboring Lebanon after Syrian government forces and allied fighters from popular defense groups managed to liberate their hometowns from the clutches of Takfiri terrorist groups.
- Working to end the eight years of suffering of the Syrian people UK FCO 29 Aug 2019 -- Statement by Stephen Hickey, UK Political Coordinator at the UN, at the Security Council briefing on the humanitarian situation in Syria
- Millions in Idlib 'counting on your support to make the violence stop', UN relief chief tells Security Council UN News 29 Aug 2019 -- Despite an agreement signed nearly a year ago on a halt to further escalation in Syria's war-battered Idlib, "the bombing and fighting go on in plain sight, day in and day out", the UN humanitarian chief told the Security Council on Thursday.
- UN Considers Cease-Fire for Syria's Idlib VOA 29 Aug 2019 -- Three U.N. Security Council members have put forward a draft resolution calling for a cease-fire in Syria's northwestern Idlib province, which has been enduring an intensified Russia-backed Syrian government military campaign since April.
- Report: Syria Only Country Using Banned Cluster Munitions VOA 29 Aug 2019 -- A new report finds Syria to be the only country in the world still using cluster munitions, which are banned under an international treaty.
- Why the Ghosts of Islamic State Still Haunt Raqqa VOA 29 Aug 2019 -- The water near the edge of the Euphrates River in downtown Raqqa reflects a strange mix of blues, like a tropical sea rushing through an urban riverbed.
- Erdogan: US-Turkey deal on Syria 'correct step toward safe zone' Press TV 29 Aug 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country's deal with the US on establishing a "safe zone" in northern Syria was a correct step, and Ankara won't let Washington delay its implementation.
- Erdogan Vows US Cannot Prevent Creation of Buffer Zone in Syria Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- Turkey will not allow the United States impede the process of creating a safe zone to the east of the Euphrates river in northern Syria, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said.
- US administration doesn't help establishment of regional peace, security: Abbas Press TV 29 Aug 2019 -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has accused US President Donald Trump's administration of unwillingness to help establishment of peace and security across the Middle East.
- Pakistani premier urges nationwide rallies in solidarity with Kashmiris Press TV 29 Aug 2019 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan has called on the entire nation to join mass demonstrations against the Indian government's decision to revoke special autonomous status of the disputed Himalayan region of Kashmir.
- Northern Alliance Agrees to Meeting With Myanmar Government Negotiators Radio Free Asia 29 Aug 2019 -- An alliance of ethnic armed organizations agreed on Thursday to meet with Myanmar government peace negotiators in war-torn Shan state on Saturday to discuss a possible end to recent clashes with national troops, following an assurance from neighboring China that the rebels will be safe during the talks, those with knowledge of the matter said.
- China Proposes Meeting with Bangladesh, Myanmar over Rohingya Repatriation Radio Free Asia 29 Aug 2019 -- Beijing has proposed a fresh tripartite meeting with Bangladesh and Myanmar to jumpstart the repatriation of Rohingya Muslims, Bangladesh's foreign minister said Thursday, as pressure mounted for the two neighboring countries to find a solution to the refugee crisis.
- Former Colombian FARC Rebels Call For New Offensive in Video Address Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- The video featured Ivan Marquez, former commander of the group who was a key negotiator of the landmark peace accord between the rebels and the authorities in 2016. The announcement comes amid deep polarisation in Colombian society prompted by the murder of former rebels and human rights activists.
- Report: Conflict Rising Among South Sudanese Refugees in Uganda VOA 29 Aug 2019 -- A report by the International Refugee Rights Initiative reveals a mix of frustration, unemployment, post-traumatic stress and alcohol abuse escalating quarrels among refugee communities in northern Uganda.
- US: Venezuela's Maduro Relinquishing Power Not About Punishment VOA 29 Aug 2019 -- The U.S. Special Representative to Venezuela Elliot Abrams told reporters at the State Department that America is "ready for change in Venezuela," and that embattled President Nicolas Maduro leaving power is a critical part of the country being able to move forward toward free elections and a transition to democracy.
- US must end unlawful measures against Venezuela: Russia Press TV 29 Aug 2019 -- Russia has called on the United States to drop "unlawful measures" against Venezuela, warning that they are causing harm to the people of the Latin American country.
- Venezuela migrant crisis begs a 'coherent, predictable and harmonized' response: UNHCR UN News 29 Aug 2019 -- There is "no end in sight" to the massive movement of Venezuelan migrants and refugees, now at around 4.3 million in number, the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) shared on Thursday.
- Second Session of 14th Supreme People's Assembly of DPRK Held KCNA 29 Aug 2019 -- The 2nd Session of the 14th Supreme People's Assembly (SPA) of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea was held at the Mansudae Assembly Hall on Thursday.
- Iranian Businessman Pleads Guilty to Conspiracy to Violate U.S. Sanctions by Exporting Carbon Fiber From the United States to Iran US Dept. of Justice 29 Aug 2019 -- Behzad Pourghannad pleaded guilty today to participating in a conspiracy to export carbon fiber from the United States to Iran between 2008 and 2013.
- AEOI head says JCPOA never halted Iran's nuclear industry IRNA 29 Aug 2019 -- The 2015 Iran nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) never stopped Iran's nuclear industry, Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali-Akbar Salehi said on Thursday.
- Iran to up value of petchem output to $36b by 2021: Minister Press TV 29 Aug 2019 -- Iran's Oil Minister Bijan Namdar Zanganeh says the value and volume of products derived from oil inside the country would significantly increase by 2021 despite sanctions imposed by the US on the industry.
- 'EU backs any Iran-US talks, but wants JCPOA to live on: Mogherini Press TV 29 Aug 2019 -- European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini says the 28-nation bloc welcomes any talks between Iran and the US, emphasizing, however, that the 2015 nuclear deal enshrined in a United Nations Security Council resolution should be preserved.
- Zarif: US must return to JCPOA, end economic terrorism before seeking talks Press TV 29 Aug 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the US must return to a 2015 multilateral nuclear agreement and end its economic terrorism against the Islamic Republic as a prerequisite for negotiations.
- Iranian Oil Tanker Reverses Course, Heads Away From Turkey RFE/RL 29 Aug 2019 -- An Iranian-flagged oil tanker that has been pursued by the United States in the Mediterranean Sea for weeks appeared to have changed course away from its destination in Turkey.
- Iran Wants US to Observe Nuclear Deal Before New Talks VOA 29 Aug 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says if the United States wants to engage in negotiations, it must observe the 2015 agreement that limited Iran's nuclear activity in exchange for sanctions relief.
- EU Backs US-Iran Talks, but Experts Call Them Unlikely VOA 29 Aug 2019 -- EU diplomatic chief Federica Mogherini on Thursday said the bloc would support talks between the United States and Iran, as long as the current nuclear deal with Tehran was preserved.
- Official says Iran not to hold talks with US IRNA 29 Aug 2019 -- Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Abbas Araghchi said on Wednesday that talks are centered on meeting Iran's 11 demands by the Europeans and Iran will never talk with the US.
- On Sanctioning of Four Financial Facilitators for Hamas US Dept. of State 29 Aug 2019 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), in partnership with the Sultanate of Oman, sanctioned today four financial facilitators responsible for moving tens of millions of dollars between Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Qods Force (IRGC-QF) and Hamas's Izz-Al-Din Al-Qassam Brigades in Gaza.
- Treasury Targets Facilitators Moving Millions to HAMAS in Gaza US Treasury 29 Aug 2019 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), in partnership with the Sultanate of Oman, designated financial facilitators responsible for moving tens of millions of dollars between Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Qods Force (IRGC-QF) and HAMAS's operational arm, the Izz-Al-Din Al-Qassam Brigades in Gaza.
- Chinese Police Conduct Anti-Riot Exercise Near Hong Kong - Reports Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- Chinese police and armed police have conducted a joint anti-riot drill in the city of Shenzhen next to restive Hong Kong, local media reported on Thursday.
- U.S. underestimates China's resolve, capability to take countermeasures People's Daily 29 Aug 2019 -- The recent U.S. decision to further increase tariffs on Chinese goods severely violates the consensus reached by the two countries' top leaders and damages the interests of both countries.
- Rumors of Internet Curbs Highlight Flaws in Hong Kong Government's Game Plan Radio Free Asia 29 Aug 2019 -- Internet service providers (ISPs) in Hong Kong on Thursday hit out at reported plans by the city authorities to force them to pull the plug on selected online applications, such as those used by anti-extradition protesters to coordinate their actions.
- Skeptical Scholar Says Visit to Xinjiang Internment Camps Confirms Western Media Reports Radio Free Asia 29 Aug 2019 -- An Albanian scholar and commentator who traveled to China at Beijing's invitation this month to disprove what he believed was biased Western media coverage of mass incarcerations of Uyghurs in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) said his experience there confirmed the reports as true.
- 'Stop All Acts of Violence Against Hong Kong Citizens' Radio Free Asia 29 Aug 2019 -- A woman who was hit in the eye with what was believed to be a rubber bullet during recent anti-extradition protests in Hong Kong has called for an end to police violence.
- Guidelines draw HK start-ups to Shenzhen Global Times 29 Aug 2019 -- The fast-rising technology hub of Shenzhen, South China's Guangdong Province, will attract more young entrepreneurs from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) under a central government plan to make the city a demonstration area of socialism with Chinese characteristics, Hong Kong entrepreneurs who do business in Shenzhen told the Global Times.
- Taiwan is not for sale: MOFA CNA 29 Aug 2019 -- Taiwan is not for sale and cannot be bought by any country, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) spokesperson Joanne Ou (歐江安) said Thursday, in response to a petition posted on a United States government website under the heading "Purchase Taiwan."
- Iranian Rocket Blows Up on Launch Pad VOA 29 Aug 2019 -- An Iranian rocket that was supposed to launch a telecommunications satellite into orbit blew up on the launch pad Thursday.
- Iran working on varieties of research satellites IRNA 29 Aug 2019 -- Defense Minister Major General Amir Hatami said on Thursday that the Islamic Republic of Iran is working on several research satellites to further strengthen the country's scientific aerospace program.
- Sanctioning of Jammal Trust Bank US Dept. of State 29 Aug 2019 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control sanctioned today Lebanon-based Jammal Trust Bank SAL (Jammal Trust) for supporting Hizballah's illicit financial and banking activities.
- Treasury Labels Bank Providing Financial Services to Hizballah as Specially Designated Global Terrorist US Treasury 29 Aug 2019 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned Jammal Trust Bank SAL (Jammal Trust), a Lebanon-based financial institution that knowingly facilitates banking activities for Hizballah. Specifically, OFAC designated Jammal Trust as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist (SDGT) pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13224 for assisting in, sponsoring, or providing financial, material, or technological support for, or financial or other services to or in support of, Hizballah.
- Uganda's Ministry of Health Confirms Ebola Case from DR Congo VOA 29 Aug 2019 -- Uganda's Ministry of Health has confirmed a case of the Ebola virus in the western district of Kasese.
- Bolton Says U.S.-Belarus Dialogue Necessary, Despite 'Significant Issues' RFE/RL 29 Aug 2019 -- U.S. national-security adviser John Bolton has called for the United States and Belarus to engage in a dialogue about their common interests, despite "significant issues" in their bilateral relations.
- Opposition Mounts to British Leader's Move to Suspend Parliament as Brexit Deadline Nears VOA 29 Aug 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson continued to face mounting criticism Thursday over his move to suspend parliament until mid-October, only weeks before Britain's scheduled departure from the European Union.
- Ukrainian Lawmakers Approve Political Novice Honcharuk As Prime Minister RFE/RL 29 Aug 2019 -- Ukrainian lawmakers have approved 35-year-old lawyer Oleksiy Honcharuk as the country's new prime minister during parliament's first session since elections last month.
- New Ukrainian Parliament Announces First Key Government Positions Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- The appointments came after the acting Ukrainian cabinet, headed by Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman, stepped down to allow newly-elected lawmakers to take their seats following snap elections on July 21.
- Bolton Says U.S. 'Strongly Believes In Moldova's Sovereignty, Independence' RFE/RL 29 Aug 2019 -- U.S. national-security adviser John Bolton has held talks with Moldovan Prime Minister Maia Sandu of the pro-Western Now Platform in Chisinau on "security matters" following a two-day stay in Ukraine as part of visit to the region, which also includes Belarus on the itinerary.
- Jailed Kyrgyz Opposition Politicians Tekebaev, Chotonov Transferred To House Arrest RFE/RL 29 Aug 2019 -- A court in Bishkek has transferred two jailed opposition politicians, Omurbek Tekebaev and Duishonkul Chotonov, to house arrest.
- Arrest Warrant Issued For Son Of Former Kyrgyz Deputy Minister Who Detained Atambaev RFE/RL 29 Aug 2019 -- Kyrgyz authorities have issued an arrest warrant for a son of former Kyrgyz Interior Minister Kursan Asanov, who personally negotiated former President Almazbek Atambaev's surrender after a deadly two-day standoff earlier in August.
- Outgoing Italian PM Accepts Fresh Mandate to Form New Government VOA 29 Aug 2019 -- Outgoing prime minister Giuseppe Conte has accepted a fresh mandate from Italy's head of state to form a new coalition government backed by the populist Five Star Movement and the center-left Democrats party. Markets reacted positively the end to the 3-week political crisis, which could have triggered a snap election. But many in Italy are wondering how long such an alliance will last.
- China Invests $16 Billion in Nigeria's Oil Sector VOA 29 Aug 2019 -- Chinese investment in Nigeria's oil and gas industry has reached $16 billion, according to Nigeria's state-run oil company. While Nigeria's oil industry welcomes China's interest, analysts worry about a lack of transparency in the sector and slow development of the country's renewable energy market.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|