27 August 2019 Military News
- One Killed, 3 Injured in Bomb Blast in Afghanistan's Nangarhar Province - Authorities Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- One man was killed and three were injured in a bomb blast in the city of Jalalabad in Afghanistan's province of Nangarhar, Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the provincial governor, said.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Navy, Marine Corps Leaders Witness New Expeditionary Warfare USV in Action at ANTX Demonstration NNS 27 Aug 2019 -- The Expeditionary Warfare unmanned surface vehicle (USV) – capable of performing force protection and long-range USV missions during distributed maritime operations, littoral operations in a contested environment, and expeditionary advanced base operations – was developed for Navy surface warfare and Marine Corps expeditionary warfare missions Aug. 26.
- US Navy's Knifefish UUV Program Achieves Milestone C NNS 27 Aug 2019 -- The Program Executive Officer for Unmanned and Small Combatants (PEO USC) granted Milestone C approval to the Knifefish Surface Mine Countermeasure Unmanned Undersea Vehicle Program. The decision clears the way for low-rate initial production (LRIP) of the system, PEO USC announced Aug. 23.
- Researchers Develop Groundbreaking Process to Study Barnacle Glue, Could Save Navy Millions NNS 27 Aug 2019 -- Researchers at the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory developed a new method for identifying the glue proteins that barnacles produce to adhere to ship hulls and other surfaces.
- US Air Force Deploys B-2 Nuclear Capable Stealth Bombers in England - EUCOM Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- The US advanced B-2 bomber is known as the nation's only aircraft capable of dropping massive earth-penetrating bombs.
- Oregon's 142nd Fighter Wing conducts training with Navy counterparts US Air Force 27 Aug 2019 -- The Oregon Air National Guard's 142nd Fighter Wing hosted the VFA-41 Squadron, assigned to Naval Air Station Lemoore, California, along with their F-18F Super Hornets during two weeks of dissimilar aircraft combat training at the Portland Air National Guard Base Aug. 11-23.
- Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands Guard units prepare for storm Army News 27 Aug 2019 -- Officials in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are closely monitoring the progress of Tropical Storm Dorian as National Guard personnel prepare to assist civil authorities if needed.
- Norwegian Institute Walks Back Findings Of Second Blast At Russian Test Site RFE/RL 27 Aug 2019 -- A Norwegian research institute has walked back earlier findings that there may have been two explosions at a Russian naval test site earlier this month, an incident that killed at least five people and caused a temporary spike in radiation levels.
- Russia 'Discovers Five New Islands' In Arctic Ocean RFE/RL 27 Aug 2019 -- A Russian naval research team has claimed to have discovered five islands in the Franz Josef Land archipelago in the Kara Sea area of the Arctic Ocean.
- Northern Fleet Hydrographical Service Confirms Discovery of New Russian Islands in Arctic Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- The Russian Navy's Northern Fleet said in a statement that its hydrographical service that is currently participating in the expedition to Russia's Franz Josef Land archipelago, located in the Arctic Ocean, confirms that five islands have been discovered there, which have been previously seen from space.
- Chinese Navy Drills Near Taiwan Following F-16 Sales by US Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- Beijing is set to perform new military exercises in the East China Sea later this week, as Taiwan pens a deal to buy dozens of advanced F-16V Viper fighters from the US.
- Iran introduces Mobin drone at MAKS 2019 air show in Russia Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- Iran has introduced one of the latest models of its home-made unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) at the international MAKS 2019 air show in the Russian city of Zhukovsky.
- Iran Has Never Wanted Nuclear Weapons - President Rouhani Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- On Monday, the presidents of the US and France agreed that Tehran must not obtain nuclear weapons and needs to comply with international obligations in this area. Moreover, US President Trump did not rule out meeting with his Iranian counterpart Rouhani to discuss a new agreement if the necessary conditions are created.
- Japan - Standard Missile-3 (SM-3) Block IIA Missiles DSCA 27 Aug 2019 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Japan of up to seventy-three (73) Standard Missile-3 (SM-3) Block IIA with support for an estimated cost of $3.295 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on August 27, 2019.
- US Approves $3.3 Billion Potential Sale of SM-3 Missile Interceptors to Japan - DoD Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- The Defence Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) explained earlier that the proposed sale would help US interests in Japan by developing and maintaining a strong and effective defence capability in the region.
- Republic of Korea - MK-54 Lightweight Torpedoes DSCA 27 Aug 2019 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Republic of Korea of thirty-one (31) MK 54 All Up Round lightweight torpedoes with support for an estimated cost of $72 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on August 27, 2019.
- Defense chief: N.Korean missiles are new type NHK 27 Aug 2019 -- Japan's Defense Minister Takeshi Iwaya says the two short-range ballistic missiles launched by North Korea on Saturday were a new type of weapon.
- Putin, Erdogan Discuss Syria, Defense Cooperation RFE/RL 27 Aug 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has met with his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, for talks outside Moscow as the two leaders seek common ground on the Syrian conflict.
- Supply of 2nd Stage of S-400 Parts Begins Amid US-Turkey Tensions Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- In July, the Turkish Defence Ministry announced that the delivery of the first batch of Russian S-400 missile defence systems had been completed. In response, the US stopped training Turkish pilots at its bases after Turkey refused to abandon the deal arguing that the deployment of the systems together with F-35s could compromise the project.
- US Lawmakers Urge Trump to Sanction Turkey Over S-400 Purchase as Required By Law Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- President Donald Trump should impose sanctions on Turkey as mandated by US law in response to Ankara's purchase of the Russian S-400 air defence system, the US House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee said on Tuesday.
- Hungary - AIM-120C-7 Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missiles (AMRAAM) DSCA 27 Aug 2019 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Hungary of one hundred and eighty (180) AIM-120C-7 Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missiles (AMRAAM ) with support for an estimated cost of $500 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on August 27, 2019.
- Lithuania - Joint Light Tactical Vehicles DSCA 27 Aug 2019 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Lithuania of five hundred Joint Light Tactical Vehicles with support for an estimated cost of $170.8 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on August 27, 2019.
- Denmark - Airborne Low Frequency Sonar System and Sonobuoys DSCA 27 Aug 2019 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Denmark nine (9) AN/AQS-22 Airborne Low Frequency Sonar (ALFS) systems and six hundred (600) AN/SSQ-36/53/62 Sonobuoys with support for an estimated cost of $200 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on August 27, 2019.
- Readout of Vice President Mike Pence's Call with Iraqi Kurdistan Region President Nechirvan Barzani The White House 27 Aug 2019
- Contracts For Aug. 27, 2019
- Up In Arms: Ukrainian Aircraft-Engine Plant Caught Up In U.S.-China Rivalry RFE/RL 27 Aug 2019 -- Ukrainian tycoon Vyacheslav Boguslayev is having a hard time parting with the company he has controlled for the past three decades, and it's not just because it is close to his heart.
- 27 August 2019 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 27 Aug 2019
- China urges US to stop malicious hyping on South China Sea Global Times 27 Aug 2019 -- China urges the United States to stop malicious hyping and play a positive and constructive role in international and regional affairs, a foreign ministry spokesperson said on Tuesday.
- US 'maliciously hyping up' South China Sea issue Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- China says the United States is "maliciously hyping up" the South China Sea situation after the Pentagon accused Beijing of "coercive interference" in waters claimed by Vietnam.
- Yemeni forces strike Saudi army positions in Najran with new missile Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- Dozens of Saudi troopers and Saudi-sponsored militiamen loyal to Yemen's former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi have been killed and injured when Yemeni army soldiers and fighters from allied Popular Committees launched an offensive against their positions in the kingdom's southern region of Najran.
- More Yemeni attacks hit Saudi targets Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- The Yemeni military has launched an attack with domestically-developed drones on one of Saudi Arabia's strategic air bases, which the kingdom uses to conduct raids against the Yemen.
- US seeks to enter into direct talks with Yemen's Houthis: Report Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- The United States is reportedly planning to initiate direct talks with Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement in a declared bid to end the protracted war in the impoverished country.
- Houthi Militia Launches Ballistic Missile from Amran / Harf Sufyan Directorate towards Saudi Arabia but fell Down in Saada, inside Yemen, Command of Joint Forces of Coalition to Support Legitimacy in Yemen reports SPA 27 Aug 2019 -- The Official Spokesman of Coalition Forces ''Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen'' Colonel Turki Al-Maliki stated that on Tuesday evening, the Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia launched a ballistic missile from the Governorate of Amran, Harf Sufyan Directorate, Yemen, using civilian sites as launching platform with the missile falling after its launch in the governorate of Saada inside the Yemeni territory.
- Yemeni Army foils Houthis' infiltration attempt south of Hodeidah SPA 27 Aug 2019 -- The Yemeni national army forces on Tuesday foiled an infiltration attempt by the Iran-backed Houthi rebel militia in Hodeida province, west of the country.
- Joint Forces of Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen Intercept and Shoot Down A Drone In Yemeni Airspace Launched By Houthi Militia from Sanaa SPA 27 Aug 2019 -- The Official Spokesman of Coalition Forces ''Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen'' Colonel Turki Al-Maliki stated that at 10:21 a.m., on Tuesday morning, the coalition forces managed to intercept and shoot down a drone in the airspace of Yemen launched by the Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia from Sanaa.
- Joint Forces of Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen Intercept and Shoot Down A Drone In Airspace of Yemen Launched By Houthi Militia SPA 27 Aug 2019 -- The Official Spokesman of Coalition Forces ''Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen'' Colonel Turki Al-Maliki stated that on Tuesday morning, the coalition forces managed to intercept and shoot down a drone in the airspace of Yemen launched by the Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia in continuation of its terrorist operations.
- Command of joint forces of coalition to support legitimacy in Yemen intercept and shoot down drone launched by Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia from Sanaa towards kingdom SPA 27 Aug 2019 -- The Official Spokesman of Coalition Forces ''Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen'' Colonel Turki Al-Maliki stated that on Tuesday morning, the coalition forces managed to intercept and shoot down a drone launched by the Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia from Sanaa towards civilian facilities in Khamis Mushayt.
- US Plans to Open Direct Talks With Houthis in Yemen - Reports Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- The United States wants to initiate direct talks with the Houthi movement in an attempt to end the war in Yemen, The Wall Street Journal reported.
- Saudi-Led Coalition Says Downed Houthi Drone Targeted the Kingdom - Report Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- The Saudi-led coalition, in a statement cited by Reuters, said that it had downed a Houthi unmanned flying vehicle that was aimed at the kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- With ISIL down but not out, continued vigilance is key, UN Security Council told UN News 27 Aug 2019 -- Despite ISIL's territorial defeat in Syria, the terrorist group, also known as Da'esh "continues to aspire to global relevance", the United Nations top counter-terrorism officials told the Security Council on Tuesday.
- Lebanon's Politicians Want Syrian Refugees to Leave VOA 27 Aug 2019 -- Thirty-four-year-old Syrian war refugee Samiha has been rearing two young daughters in Lebanon since 2013, after fleeing her Damascus suburb. She feared her girls wouldn't survive the deadly airstrikes razing her neighborhood.
- Syria Starts Rebuilding Khan Sheikhoun After Strategic Town Liberated From Terrorists Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- On Friday, the Syrian military announced that they had regained control over Khan Sheikhoun. Controlled by militants since 2014, the town has been practically destroyed.
- Syrian Kurdish Fighters Begin Pullout From Turkish Border VOA 27 Aug 2019 -- Syrian Kurdish fighters said they have begun withdrawing from areas along the Syria-Turkey border as part of an agreement between the United States and Turkey.
- Russia, Turkey agree to 'normalize' situation in Syria's Idlib Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- Russia and Turkey agree on measures to "normalize" the situation in the terrorist-infested northwestern Syrian province of Idlib, where the Damascus government's Moscow-backed operations against terrorists have reportedly complicated the unlawful Turkish involvement there.
- Israeli fighter jet targets Hamas position in central Gaza Strip Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- An Israeli fighter jet has targeted a position of the Palestinian Hamas resistance movement in the central part of the besieged Gaza Strip as the Tel Aviv regime presses ahead with its acts of aggression against the impoverished Palestinian coastal sliver.
- Israeli Military Targets Hamas Post in Gaza After Shell Fired Into Israel - IDF Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- For months, the Israeli authorities have been blaming the Palestinian movement Hamas for Gaza residents' aggressive actions toward Israel.
- 'Complete political deadlock' over Middle East peace risks more violence, regional escalation, warns UN envoy UN News 27 Aug 2019 -- Tangible steps "can, and must, be taken" to urgently reverse the "negative trajectory" of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict and revive the peace process, a senior United Nations envoy told the Security Council on Tuesday.
- Hariri urges Russia to help prevent Israeli violations of Lebanese sovereignty Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- Lebanese Prime Minister Saad al-Hariri has strongly condemned Israel's recent "dangerous" drone incursion into the Arab country, delivering a warning to the regime through Russia against further violations of Lebanon's sovereignty.
- Hezbollah: Israeli drone was on 'bombing' mission Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- The Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah says an Israeli drone that crashed into its media center recently had been dispatched on an offensive mission.
- Hezbollah Prepares 'Calculated Strike' On Israel Amid Air Raids on Lebanon - Report Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- Tensions between Hezbollah and Israel rose on Sunday 25 August, after two Iran-backed organization members were killed in an Israeli strike in Syria and two drones crashed near the Hezbollah headquarters in Beirut.
- Hezbollah Claims Drones Crashed in Beirut Suburbs on Sunday Carried Explosives Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- On 25 August, two Israeli drones crashed near Hezbollah's headquarters in the suburbs of Beirut. One reportedly exploded midair, causing significant damage to the Hezbollah press service building and injuring three people. Beirut has described the flight of the Israeli "reconnaissance drones" as "aggression" and an "attack" on its sovereignty.
- Israeli PM Netanyahu Warns Hezbollah, Lebanon, and Iranian Leaders To Watch Their Actions Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- On Monday, Iran warned Israel of "grave consequences" over its "aggressive actions" amid airstrikes in Syria on targets that Prime Minister Netanyahu referred to as Iranian.
- Iraqi armed forces ready to respond firmly to any aggression: Abdul-Mahdi Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi says his country's armed forces are fully prepared to respond firmly to any act of aggression launched either from outside or inside Iraq.
- Israeli attacks declaration of war on Iraqi nation: Parliamentary group Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- An Iraqi parliamentary bloc representing the country's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), or Hashd al-Sha'abi, says the recent Israeli acts of aggression targeting the pro-government military force amount to "a declaration of war" on the Arab country.
- Iraq President, Prime Minister Denounce Israeli Air Strikes RFE/RL 27 Aug 2019 -- Iraq's leaders on August 26 condemned Israel's air strikes the previous day that struck bases and weapons caches belonging to Iraqi paramilitary groups.
- At least 37 Killed, 200 Injured in Tribal Clashes in Sudan's East - Reports Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- A total of 37 people were killed and over 200 injured as a result of violent clashes between tribes in Sudan's east, media reported, citing medics.
- Ongoing Clashes in Myanmar's Rakhine State Force Thousands to Flee Two Villages Radio Free Asia 27 Aug 2019 -- Fighting between Myanmar forces and Arakan Army insurgents has prompted about 5,000 residents from two villages in war-ravaged Rakhine state's Minbya township to flee their communities since hostilities in the area began four days ago, residents said Tuesday.
- The Forgotten Rohingya: Stuck in Limbo in Myanmar's Prison-Like Camps VOA 27 Aug 2019 -- Independent human rights groups and journalists are blocked by the government from entering the camps or to investigate alleged human rights abuses in northern Rakhine State, Myanmar. But VOA managed to speak to women inside the internally displaced camps.
- Pakistan's Defence Ministry Accuses Indian Troops of Targeting Civilians in 'Unprovoked Fire' Near LoC Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- Indian-Pakistani relations have escalated since the Indian government announced a decision to strip Jammu and Kashmir of its special status, which had granted the state a certain degree of autonomy for several decades.
- Pakistan's Khan considering closing airspace to India: Official Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan is considering a complete closure of airspace to India and blocking Indian land trade to Afghanistan via Pakistan, a senior government official says.
- Pakistani Troops, Commandos in Proximity of Indian Border After PM's Threat Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- A day after Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan mentioned "decisive action" on Kashmir, Pakistan has moved hundreds of its troops and elite commandos near to the Line of Control (LoC). Sources said the deployment indicates that India's western rival is preparing for "short term conflict".
- Pakistani Foreign Minister Says Ready to End Confrontation with India on Kashmir - Report Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- The foreign minister of Pakistan, Shah Mehmood Qureshi, has said his country isn't keen to escalate matters with New Delhi on Kashmir, apparently contradicting Prime Minister Imran Khan's determination to support the "oppressed people" in the Indian-administered region at all costs.
- Bolton: No Need For Zelenskiy To 'Rush' Into Action On Donbas RFE/RL 27 Aug 2019 -- U.S. national-security adviser John Bolton says there is no need for Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy to "rush" into any course of action regarding Russia's involvement with separatist forces in eastern Ukraine.
- Disturbances in north Belfast reflect the province's deepening political crisis Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- Ongoing disturbances in north Belfast, blamed on so-called 'vigilante' groups, have added to the growing sense of crisis in Northern Ireland.
- Namibian Refugees Refuse to Leave Botswana VOA 27 Aug 2019 -- More than 800 Namibian refugees in Botswana have vowed to stay put despite a court ruling saying they must return to their country, 20 years after fleeing following a secessionist uprising.
- Trump Assails Critics Over His G-7 Performance VOA 27 Aug 2019 -- President Donald Trump is fuming over mainstream U.S. news coverage of his attendance at the G-7 in France and defending his preference to host the leaders' summit next year at one of his private resorts in the state of Florida.
- US Military Approves Border Wall Expansion VOA 27 Aug 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's border wall is expanding.
- European Court Condemns Russia Over Magnitsky's 2009 Death In Custody RFE/RL 27 Aug 2019 -- The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) has condemned Russia for "multiple violations" committed against Sergei Magnitsky, an anti-corruption lawyer who died in custody in 2009.
- Iran Sentences Three To Long Prison Terms On Spying Charges RFE/RL 27 Aug 2019 -- Iran says it has sentenced three people -- including a woman and a dual Iranian-British citizen -- to lengthy prison terms after convicting them of spying for Israel's Mossad intelligence agency.
- North Korea must re-engage diplomatically and progress on denuclearization Permanent mission of France to the United Nations in New York 27 Aug 2019 -- Joint statement by France, Germany and the United Kingdom
- Experts: N. Korean Missile Tactic Aimed at Weakening US Resolve VOA 27 Aug 2019 -- North Korea's unrelenting missile launches are intended to strategically signal to Washington that the North will continue to develop weapons and weaken U.S. demand for denuclearization, said experts.
- Rouhani Says US Must Lift Sanctions Before Talks VOA 27 Aug 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said if U.S. President Donald Trump wants to hold talks, he must "take the first step" and lift all sanctions imposed against Iran.
- Iran's AEOI cheif says grounds prepared for producing 60 modern centrifuges IRNA 27 Aug 2019 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi on Tuesday announced the establishment of an advanced hall with the capacity to produce 60 new centrifuges.
- Rouhani says US return to JCPOA commitment a must IRNA 27 Aug 2019 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday that the United States must honor its commitments to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, a prelude to negotiations in the context of the nuclear deal.
- China: Iran should enjoy JCPOA implementation reward IRNA 27 Aug 2019 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi supported efforts to preserve Iran's nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) and said China has understood Iran's fair demand and believes that Iranian should be benefited from the implementation reward.
- Iran to suspend more JCPOA commitments if Europe takes no action: Zarif Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says Iran will take the "third step" in reducing its commitments under a 2015 multilateral nuclear deal unless the other signatories take action to protect the agreement.
- Rouhani: No talks with US unless bans lifted, Iran rights respected Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- President Hassan Rouhani says the United States should lift all its "cruel" and "unlawful" sanctions against Iran and begin respecting the nation's rights as a "first step" towards dialog, emphasizing that the Islamic Republic will not engage in any negotiations for the mere sake of photo opportunities.
- Bolton: Trump's Willingness To Meet Rohani Does Not Imply Softening Of Stance RFE/RL 27 Aug 2019 -- U.S. national-security adviser John Bolton says President Donald Trump's willingness to talk to Iranian President Hassan Rohani about Tehran's nuclear program does not imply that the U.S. leader is about to change his tough stance on Iran.
- Iran's Rohani Says No Talks With U.S. Unless Sanctions Lifted First RFE/RL 27 Aug 2019 -- Iran won't talk to the United States unless it lifts all the sanctions Washington has imposed on Tehran, President Hassan Rohani has said, after President Donald Trump said he was open to meeting him under the "right" circumstances.
- Minister says Iran can surge oil production within 3 days if sanctions lifted IRNA 27 Aug 2019 -- Petroleum Minister Bijan Zangeneh said on Tuesday that Iran needs only three days to promote oil production to the same level of pre-sanctions situation, if they are lifted.
- Emmanuel Macron urges US to lift ban on Iran oil sales to India ISNA 27 Aug 2019 -- French President, Emmanuel Macron has urged his American counterpart, Donald Trump to lift the sanctions on Iranian oil sales to India, a step that could boost Delhi's energy supplies if Washington agrees to the request.
- Iran to restore oil output to pre-sanction levels in 3 days: Minister Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- Iran's Oil Minister Bijan Namdar Zanganeh has ruled out the idea that US sanctions have badly hurt the country's production and exports capacity, saying output would be back to normal very quickly once the American bans are removed.
- China's oil imports from Iran rise despite US threats Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- China imported more than 900,000 metric tons of crude oil from Iran in July, up more than 8 percent from the month before, data released by China's General Administration of Customs (GAC) on Tuesday showed.
- Iran finds new oil reserves in southwest Dezful Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- Iran has discovered new oil reserves in the southwestern Dezful region, the National Iranian Oil Company Exploration Directorate (NIOCEXP) says.
- France's Macron Calls for End to Suspension on Iranian Crude Sale to India Amid US Pressure Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- Despite vowing not to give in to any sort of pressure from a third country while dealing with trade with Iran, the Indian government stopped purchasing Iranian crude in May this year after the re-imposition of US economic sanctions came into effect. On the contrary, China has not followed US sanctions and has continued its oil purchases from the Persian Gulf nation.
- Hong Kong Leader Open to Dialogue, Vows to 'Stamp Out' Violence VOA 27 Aug 2019 -- Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam said Tuesday she is open to dialogue with protesters, but that the government will not tolerate violence.
- China Accuses G-7 of 'Meddling' in Hong Kong's Affairs VOA 27 Aug 2019 -- China voiced "strong dissatisfaction" Tuesday with a joint statement by G-7 leaders calling for Hong Kong's autonomy in line with Britain's handover of control of the territory to Beijing in 1984.
- US on Hong Kong Protests: 'No More Violence on Both Sides' VOA 27 Aug 2019 -- The United States is calling for calm on all sides in Hong Kong, as protests took a violent turn in recent days and U.S. officials noted signs of softening among Hong Kong government and pro-democracy demonstrators.
- Hong Kong backbone stays resilient to safeguard city Global Times 27 Aug 2019-- While violent protesters in Hong Kong attacked police officers, blocked traffic, set fires, beat up tourists and journalists under the cover of opposing the "anti-extradition bill" in the past two months, another force in the region demonstrates to people that Hong Kong is still the city with the Lion Rock spirit - which represents the resilience and diligence of Hongkongers - and still the Pearl of the Orient that has its heart connected to its motherland.
- HK industries call for declaration of state emergency to quell riots Global Times 27 Aug 2019-- While some Hongkongers, devastated by ongoing social unrest, have urged the central government and the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government to declare that Hong Kong is in a state of emergency and to apply relevant national laws in the city, the chief executive of HKSAR reiterated the government is still in control of the situation.
- 883 protesters arrested as Hong Kong police face escalating violence Global Times 27 Aug 2019-- Two young protesters were arrested on Monday bringing the tototal number of arrests to 883, Hong Kong police said at a press conference Tuesday as street violence continued to escalate.
- China urges G7 to stop meddling in HK affairs Global Times 27 Aug 2019-- China expressed strong dissatisfaction and resolute opposition on Tuesday to a statement from the Group of Seven (G7) summit about Hong Kong, and urged G7 members to stop meddling in Hong Kong affairs.
- Will Shenzhen rival HK as finance hub? Global Times 27 Aug 2019-- The integration of the financial markets in Shenzhen, South China's Guangdong Province, with those of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), under a master plan recently issued by the central government, will cement the latter's role as an international financial hub while also spurring innovation of the former's financial markets, local industry players said.
- China's police chief vows crackdown on subversive activities to safeguard 'south gate' Guangdong Global Times 27 Aug 2019-- China's Minister of Public Security Monday pledged to prevent and crack down on violent and terrorist activities, as well as infiltrative and subversive activities to safeguard China's political security "south gate" during his trip to South China's Guangdong Province.
- HKSAR chief executive promises maximum efforts to build dialogue platform, reiterates zero-tolerance to violence Global Times 27 Aug 2019-- Chief Executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam promised on Tuesday that the government will take maximum efforts to build the dialogue platform with the public.
- Hong Kong police in the teeth of the storm People's Daily 27 Aug 2019 -- Unlawful assemblies and violent protests which have lasted for over two months in China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) have put Hong Kong police in the teeth of the storm.
- Xi stresses efforts to improve regional economic planning, industrial chains People's Daily 27 Aug 2019 -- President Xi Jinping on Monday called for efforts to improve regional economic planning featuring complementary advantages and high-quality development, and to upgrade basic industries and industrial chains.
- China 'resolutely opposes' G7 statement on Hong Kong Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- China has expressed "resolute opposition" to a joint statement from the Group of Seven (G7) countries that references the current unrest in Hong Kong.
- China refutes Trump's claim about reaching out at 'top' levels Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- China says it has not asked to return to the negotiating table with the United States in a dispute over trade, refuting US President Donald Trump's claim that Chinese officials have made such a request in telephone conversations at top levels.
- Hong Kong leader warns violence won't be tolerated Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- Hong Kong's leader says her government has a policy of zero tolerance for violence, shortly after masked people were seen attacking police officers during a protest rally.
- China Formally Arrests Australian Writer on 'Spying' Charge Radio Free Asia 27 Aug 2019 -- Authorities in the Chinese capital have formally arrested an Australian academic and writer for espionage after holding him incommunicado for seven months with no access to a lawyer or family visits, prompting sharp criticism from Canberra.
- Australian Writer, Ex-Chinese Diplomat Yang Hengjun Charged With Espionage in Beijing - Reports Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- The Australian novelist and former Chinese diplomat Yang Hengjun has reportedly been detained in China since January after being arrested in Guangzhou, The Guardian reported Tuesday.
- Johnson: No Prospect of Brexit Deal Unless Talks on EU Withdrawal Reopened Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- The prime minister's spokeswoman said earlier in the day that Johnson was happy to accept the rest of former PM Theresa May's Brexit withdrawal agreement if the backstop was removed, adding that he had been clear the only changes he wanted were about the backstop.
- Aye, Robot: Capsule Carrying Russia's Humanoid FEDOR Finally Docks At ISS RFE/RL 27 Aug 2019 -- A second attempt to dock a Russian Soyuz spacecraft carrying a Russian humanoid robot to the International Space Station (ISS) has been successful.
- India Not Poor, Has Resources for Space Programme: ISRO Chief Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- India is comfortably positioned economically to provide funds for its space programme and benefits to people, the country's space organisation chief has said.
- Brazil Conditionally Accepts Aid from G-7 Countries to Fight Amazon Wildfires VOA 27 Aug 2019 -- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro says his country will accept aid from G-7 countries to battle wildfires in the Amazon rainforest only if French President Emmanuel Macron retracts what Bolsonaro considers offensive remarks.
- Rwanda Accused of Manipulating Poverty Statistics VOA 27 Aug 2019 -- In Rwanda, there is an ongoing debate over the authenticity of poverty statistics. The government says poverty has dropped dramatically, but people who are actually destitute, and their advocates, are skeptical.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|