26 August 2019 Military News
- Statement on Recent Attacks in Iraq DoD 26 Aug 2019
- Reign of Islamic Emirate, prosperity for nation Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan 26 Aug 2019 -- The Islamic Emirate is a movement that was born from the aspirations and religious devotion of the masses in Afghanistan. (...) Following are listed some successes of the Islamic Emirate, the admission of which is made by the enemy too.
- Renewed Taliban-U.S. Peace Talks Enter Their Fifth Day RFE/RL 26 Aug 2019 -- Peace talks to end the 18-year war in Afghanistan continue as dialogue that would allow the United States to wind down its deployment entered a fifth day in the Qatari capital of Doha.
- Graham warns Trump not to pull all US troops from Afghanistan Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- US Republican Senator Lindsey Graham has warned President Donald Trump not to reduce the number of American troops in Afghanistan, arguing that a large-scale withdrawal from the war-torn country could pose a grave threat to US national security.
- 'We Will Continue Our Fight': Taliban Commander Vows No Peace With Kabul Despite US Deal Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- As the US and Taliban close in on a peace deal, confusion about the nature of the militant group's relationship with the Afghan government lingers. While unnamed Taliban commanders have claimed the struggle against Kabul will continue, leading US diplomats insist that peace underlies their budding agreement.
- Taliban Again Eyeing Power in Afghanistan? VOA 26 Aug 2019 -- With a draft peace agreement between the United States and the Afghan Taliban circulating after 10 months of negotiations, the insurgent group is pushing a new media campaign boasting about what it describes as the "success" of its past strict Islamic rule.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Trump reportedly suggested averting hurricanes via nuclear weapons Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- US President Donald Trump reportedly suggested using nuclear weapons against hurricanes to prevent them from hitting the United States.
- Trump Discussed Possibility of Using Nuclear Bombs to Stop Hurricanes - Reports Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has on several occasions discussed with national security officials the possibility of using nuclear bombs to prevent hurricanes from reaching the United States, the news portal Axios reported on Monday, citing sources.
- US Wants to Disrupt China's Rare Earth Dominance VOA 26 Aug 2019 -- The U.S. military wants to partner with Australia to disrupt China's dominance over the global supply of rare earths – the minerals essential to high-tech products from cellphones to sophisticated weapons.
- Proper planning provides successful foundation for Eager Lion 19 CENTCOM 26 Aug 2019 -- The field commanders from U.S. and Jordanian land forces participating in Eager Lion 19 came together for the first time during an initial planning conference in the heart of the Jordanian desert Aug. 19.
- Undersecretary of Defense Lord Holds Press Briefing on Acquisition Reform and Innovation DoD 26 Aug 2019 -- Ellen M. Lord, Undersecretary of Defense for Acquisition and Sustainment
- DOD Makes Progress in Acquisition, Sustainment DoD News 26 Aug 2019 -- The Defense Department is reducing timelines and lowering costs to provide the best military capabilities, a senior DOD official told reporters at the Pentagon.
- DOD, CEOs Discuss Privatized Military Housing DoD News 26 Aug 2019 -- After concerns about some privatized military family housing units were raised in several congressional hearings this year, Defense Department and service leaders promised lawmakers and military families that they'd take steps to improve the quality of housing and provide long-term investments to sustain that quality.
- Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group, JMSDF Conduct Combined Cruise NNS 26 Aug 2019 -- The Ronald Reagan Strike Group conducted a combined cruise with the Japan Maritime Self Defense Force guided-missile destroyer JS Myoko (DDG-175) Aug. 13-23.
- USNS Puerto Rico Successfully Completes Integrated Sea Trials NNS 26 Aug 2019 -- USNS Puerto Rico (EPF 11), successfully completed the first integrated sea trials for an Expeditionary Fast Transport (EPF) ship Aug. 22. The ship returned to the Austal USA shipyard following two days underway in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Offutt AFB runway closure delayed to maximize construction ahead of winter months US Air Force 26 Aug 2019 -- The 55th Wing's runway replacement at Offutt Air Force Base has been pushed back from December 2019 to October 2020.
- Space Flag holds first exercise with coalition partners US Air Force 26 Aug 2019 -- Coalition partners from Australia, Canada, Great Britain and the United States recently participated in Space Flag, a coalition exercise, for the first time at Aerospace Corporation's facility, Aug. 12-16, 2019.
- US Forces' Risks Rise After Seoul Refused Exchanging Intelligence With Tokyo - State Dept Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- The decision of the South Korean authorities to stop the exchange of intelligence with Japan complicates the protection of South Korea for the United States and increases the risks for the US forces, US State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said on Monday.
- Why Southeast Asian Navies Will Hold Exercises with US After Same With China VOA 26 Aug 2019 -- The first military exercises between the United States and a bloc of 10 Southeast Asian nations, following the same bloc's drills with China last year, show that both superpowers increasingly hope to influence a part of the world that could swing either way, observers say.
- Russian Weather Agency Says Radioactive Isotopes Found After Accident RFE/RL 26 Aug 2019 -- Russia's state meteorological agency says it found several radioactive isotopes in samples it took following a recent accident at a northern military base during a weapons test.
- Russian Defence Ministry Holds Exercises on Undercover Transfer of Nuclear Submarines Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- Two submarines from projects 671 and 949A, tugboats of a support detachment, high-speed special watercraft, and more than 50 military personnel were involved in the exercises.
- China's First Helicopter Carrier Type 075 Nearing Completion Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- New photos have emerged from the Shanghai shipyard where China's newest warship, the Type 075 amphibious assault ship, is nearing completion.
- Top DPRK leader guides test-firing of new multiple rocket launcher -- KCNA People's Daily 26 Aug 2019 -- Saturday's test marked the seventh missile launch by the DPRK since July 25 and the ninth this year, which came after the end of a joint annual military exercises between South Korea and the United States earlier this week.
- India Gets Boeing's Last C-17 Globemaster III Heavy-Lift Aircraft Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- American aerospace giant Boeing on Monday delivered the 11th C-17 Globemaster III transport aircraft to the Indian Air Force (IAF). The plane is also the last C-17 produced by the company.
- Iran's surface-to-air missile system Bavar 373 outperforms US Patriot PAC-3: Official IRNA 26 Aug 2019 -- Iran's recently-unveiled surface-to-air missile system Bavar 373 is stronger that the American Patriot PAC-3 system, says Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Hossein Baqeri.
- Iran's most advanced destroyer deployed to Gulf of Aden Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- Iran has deployed its most advanced destroyer Sahand to the Gulf of Aden in a mission aimed at providing security for Iranian vessels in the high seas.
- Iran Deploys Naval Destroyer Armed With Cruise Missiles to Secure its Ships in Gulf of Aden - Report Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- The reported move comes just a day after an Iranian Navy commander voiced readiness to escort the oil tanker Adrian Darya (formerly known as the Grace 1), which had been released by the authorities in Gibraltar earlier in August after more than a month-long detention despite US appeals to seize the vessel.
- Ankara receives 2nd batch of Russian S-400 on Tuesday: Turkish defense minister Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- Turkey's defense minister says the delivery of the second batch of Russian S-400 missile defense systems is scheduled to begin on Tuesday.
- Philippines Mulling Purchase of Russia's Sukhoi, Be-200, MS-21 Jets - Investment Agency Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- The Philippines is considering the purchase of Russian-made Sukhoi, Be-200 and MS-21 aircraft for its general aviation sector, Corazon Halili-Dichosa, the Philippine Board of Investments (BOI) Industry Development Services Executive Director, has stated.
- Spanish Air Force Pilot Killed as Military Plane Crashes in Mediterranean Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- A C-101, the same type of plane used by the Spanish Air Force's Eagle Patrol aerobatics team, was on a training flight near an airbase outside the town of San Javier.
- Remarks by President Trump and Prime Minister Modi of India Before Bilateral Meeting | Biarritz, France The White House 26 Aug 2019
- Remarks by President Trump and Chancellor Merkel of the Federal Republic of Germany Before Bilateral Meeting | Biarritz, France The White House 26 Aug 2019
- Remarks by President Trump and President El-Sisi of the Arab Republic of Egypt Before Bilateral Meeting | Biarritz, France The White House 26 Aug 2019
- 26 August 2019 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 26 Aug 2019
- China Escalates Coercion Against Vietnam's Longstanding Oil and Gas Activity in the South China Sea DoD 26 Aug 2019 -- The Department of Defense is greatly concerned by China's continued efforts to violate the rules-based international order throughout the Indo-Pacific.
- Pentagon Accuses China of 'Bullying', Violating 'Rules-Based International Order' in Indo-Pacific Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- The US Department of Defence (DoD) on Monday said that it was "greatly concerned by China's continued efforts to violate the rules-based international order throughout the Indo-Pacific".
- Seoul Expands Drills Near Disputed Islets on Final Day in Show of Force to Tokyo - Reports Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- South Korea is holding the second and final day of its drills in the area of the Liancourt Rocks islands, which are disputed by Japan, by doubling the forces involved in what is seen as a major show of force amid growing tensions with Tokyo, the Yonhap news agency reported.
- 'Yemen war death toll exceeds 91,000' Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- The total number of reported fatalities in Yemen has passed the 91,000 mark over the past four and a half years, says the US-based Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED).
- Yemeni drones attack military target in Saudi Arabia's capital Riyadh Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- Yemeni army and its allied fighters from Popular Committees have for the first time used a squadron of domestically-manufactured Sammad-3 (Invincible-3) combat drones to strike an "important military target" in Saudi Arabia's capital city of Riyadh.
- A Joint Statement issued by Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of UAE SPA 26 Aug 2019 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the United Arab Emirates issued the following joint Statement:
- Coalition Forces Intercept and Shoot Down One Drone in Yemeni Airspace Launched by Houthi Militia from Al-Jouf Towards Kingdom of Saudi Arabia SPA 26 Aug 2019 -- The Official Spokesman of Coalition Forces ''Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen'' Colonel Turki Al-Maliki stated that on Monday morning, the coalition forces managed to intercept and shoot down in the Yemeni airspace one drone launched by the Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia from Al-Jouf towards the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Saudi-Led Coalition Denies Yemeni Houthis' Drone Attack on Riyadh Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- In recent months, the Yemeni Houthi movement has intensified drone and missile attacks on Saudi airports and oil facilities. The coalition has reacted by striking the movement's positions in northern Yemen.
- Saudi-Led Arab Coalition Destroys 2 Drones Launched From Yemen by Houthis - Reports Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- Saudi-led Arab coalition intercepted and destroyed two drones launched by Yemeni rebels from the Houthi movement toward Saudi Arabia, Al Arabiya broadcaster reported on Monday.
- Command of the joint forces of ''Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen'' stresses necessity of commitment by all parties in Shabwa province to continued ceasefire, maintaining truce SPA 26 Aug 2019 -- Official Spokesman of Coalition Forces ''Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen'' Colonel Turki Al-Maliki stated that the joint command of the coalition stresses the necessity of commitment by all parties in Shabwa province to continued ceasefire and maintaining the truce.
- Moscow says militant attacks in Syria's Idlib must be stamped out Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- The Kremlin says Russian President Vladimir Putin is equally concerned about attacks by foreign-backed militants from Syria's northwestern province of Idlib after his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan alleged that offensives in the province threaten Turkey's national security.
- Putin-Erdogan Talks In Moscow To Focus On Syria RFE/RL 26 Aug 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin is set to meet with his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, on August 27 for talks expected to focus of the situation in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib.
- Syrian Gov't Troops in Khan Sheikhoun Do Not Violate Deals With Turkey - Lavrov Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, speaking about the situation in Khan Sheikhoun, said that the Syrian government troops, supported by the Russian Aerospace Forces, did not violate any agreements with Turkey.
- Erdogan Heads to Moscow as Tensions Over Syria Escalate VOA 26 Aug 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan heads to Moscow on Tuesday to meet Russian President Vladimir Putin in a bid to bridge the deepening divide over Syria.
- Iraqi Hashd al-Sha'abi forces shoot down reconnaissance drone over Nineveh Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- Members of pro-government Popular Mobilization Units, better known by the Arabic name Hashd al-Sha'abi, have reportedly intercepted and targeted an unmanned aerial vehicle as it was flying in the skies over a region in the country's northern province of Nineveh.
- Iraq to take diplomatic, legal measures against sovereignty breach: Foreign ministry Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- A high-ranking Iraqi official says Baghdad will take all available diplomatic and legal actions to prevent the violation of Iraq's sovereignty and territorial integrity in the wake of recent airstrikes in the country against the positions of pro-government Popular Mobilization Units (PMU).
- Hashd Sha'abi says Israel behind deadly drone attack in Iraq Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- Iraq's pro-government Popular Mobilization Units, commonly known by the Arabic name Hashd al-Sha'abi, says Israel was behind a recent deadly drone attack that killed two people near the Syrian border.
- Indian Navy on Alert as Intel Suggests JeM Training Terrorists to Conduct Seaborne Attack Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- India's Naval Chief Admiral Karambir Singh claims that the military possesses intelligence that the banned Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) group is training terrorists in order to conduct a seaborne attack on India.
- Pakistan's Khan warns Kashmir issue could lead to nuclear war Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan has warned that the issue of Kashmir could lead to a nuclear war between Islamabad and New Delhi if the international community failed to intervene.
- It's Time to Decisively Act on Kashmir - Pakistani PM Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan on Monday seemed to be comforting his countrymen, saying that Islamic nations that have not been supportive would return to supporting Pakistan in the future, but that the time has come for Pakistan's Kashmir policy to take a "decisive" turn.
- Myanmar, Arakan Forces Trade Blame After Shell Kills Three Children in Rakhine Radio Free Asia 26 Aug 2019 -- An explosion from a stray artillery shell killed three Myanmar children and injured four other civilians on Saturday in a village near strife-torn Rakhine state's Minbya township, amid fighting between Myanmar forces and the rebel Arakan Army, each of which blamed the other side for the deaths.
- Israel cuts down Gaza fuel supply over alleged rocket attacks from enclave Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- The Israeli regime has reduced by half the amount of fuel supplies to the besieged Gaza Strip over alleged rocket attacks from the coastal enclave.
- Israeli PM's new settlement plan in West Bank 'irrational colonial escalation': PLO official Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- A senior member of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) has censured Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's plan to build hundreds of new settler units in the occupied West Bank as "irrational colonial escalation."
- Israel's fresh air raids hit Gaza Strip, Lebanese region Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- Israel has launched fresh airstrikes against the Gaza Strip and a region in Lebanon near the Syrian border, using its warplanes and unmanned aerial vehicles, respectively.
- Netanyahu Orders Construction of 300 New Housing Units Near Site of West Bank Bomb Attack Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered on Monday the construction of 300 new housing units in Dolev, a West Bank settlement, where an Israeli girl was recently killed by an improvised explosive device.
- Israeli Aircraft Strike at Targets in Gaza in Response to Rocket Attack Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- Israeli aircraft struck a base of the Palestinian movement Hamas in the Gaza Strip in response to rocket attack from the territory of the enclave, the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) said in a statement on Monday.
- Israel Defence Forces Says 3 Rockets Fired at Israel From Gaza, Intercepts 2 Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- The Israel Defence Forces said on Sunday that three rockets were fired at Israel from Gaza, two of which they intercepted.
- Lebanese president says Israel drone attacks on Lebanon amount to 'declaration of war' Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- Lebanese President Michel Aoun says Israel's recent drone strikes in Lebanon amounts to "a declaration of war" against the Arab country, vowing that Lebanon will defend its sovereignty against the Israeli aggression.
- Nasrallah warns Israel of strong response IRNA 26 Aug 2019 -- Secretary General of Lebanese Hezbollah Resistance Movement Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah on Monday protested Israeli aggression on Hezbollah positions in Syria, warning Israel of strong response.
- UN 'takes note' of Lebanese president's 'war' warning Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- The United Nations says it has "taken note" of a warning by Lebanon's President Michel Aoun that recent Israeli aerial transgressions against the country amount to "declaration of war," urging both sides to exercise restraint.
- Israel Makes Airstrikes at Lebanon-Syria Border - Reports Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- Three Israeli airstrikes targeted the Lebanese-Syria border area early on Sunday, local broadcaster reported.
- Macron Announces Major Ukraine Peace Summit In September RFE/RL 26 Aug 2019 -- French President Emmanuel Macron says the leaders of Russia, Ukraine, Germany, and France will hold talks next month aimed at ending the conflict in eastern Ukraine, as U.S. national-security adviser John Bolton announced he would visit Ukraine.
- Georgia's Separatist Abkhazia Heads To Runoff In 'Presidential Vote' Deemed 'Sham' RFE/RL 26 Aug 2019 -- Incumbent separatist leader Raul Khadzhimba and Alkhaz Kvitsiniya, head of the Amtsakhara opposition party, will face off in a runoff election in the breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia.
- Sri Lankan authorities must work 'vigorously' to ease simmering ethno-religious tensions, urges UN rights expert UN News 26 Aug 2019 -- A United Nations human rights expert warned on Monday that Sri Lankan authorities must take urgent action to strengthen respect for freedom of religion or belief and address simmering ethno-religious tensions.
- Thousands Flee Violence in Cameroon's English-Speaking Regions VOA 26 Aug 2019 -- Tens of thousands of people have deserted Cameroon's conflict prone English-speaking regions after a bloody weekend. Fighting between the military and separatists left at least 40 people dead, and a prominent Catholic bishop was abducted. The renewed fighting comes after a military tribunal ordered separatist leaders imprisoned for life. The new violence has dashed hopes that schools would re-open this week, after being closed for three years.
- G7 disagrees Russia's return, Trump pushes for invitation Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has sparked yet another row with his fellow leaders of the Group of Seven nations, known as G7, when he aired his demand to invite Russia back to the International leaders gathering.
- Trump, Macron Highlight Unity at G-7 Despite Differences VOA 26 Aug 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump and French counterpart Emmanuel Macron said there was unity on major issues at the G-7 summit in France, despite differences on display during the gathering that was dominated by trade issues, Iran's nuclear program and the fires scorching the Amazon.
- Sudan: New political transition, bolstered by peacebuilding, could bring long-term stability to Darfur, Security Council told UN News 26 Aug 2019 -- "Important developments" under way in Sudan since midsummer, including a pledge to end the country's outstanding conflicts, and the establishment of a new transitional government, could serve to edge the country's people closer to stability, Under-Secretary-General for Peace Operations Jean-Pierre Lacroix said, briefing the UN Security Council on Monday.
- US Closely Monitoring Sudan's Commitment to Human Rights VOA 26 Aug 2019 -- The United States said Monday it will closely monitor the commitment of Sudan's transitional government to human rights, democracy and peace before Washington decides to remove Khartoum from the U.S. list of countries that sponsor terrorism.
- Justice Department Steps Up Prosecution of Chinese Economic Espionage VOA 26 Aug 2019 -- The U.S. Justice Department is escalating prosecution of Chinese economic espionage cases, part of the Trump administration's crackdown on China's alleged theft of American intellectual property and other predatory practices that are at the heart of trade tensions between Washington and Beijing.
- Review of Rodong Sinmun KCNA 26 Aug 2019 -- Following are major news items and articles in Rodong Sinmun on Monday:
- North Korea Orders Cash-Strapped Migrant Workers in Russia to Increase Tithes to Kim Regime Radio Free Asia 26 Aug 2019 -- North Korean authorities have ordered migrant workers living in Russia to hand over an additional U.S. $100 of their salaries each month as the Kim Jong Un regime struggles to secure foreign currency amid crushing international sanctions over its nuclear weapons program, according to sources.
- Trump: 'Really Good Chance' He Will Meet with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani VOA 26 Aug 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Monday "there's a really good chance" he would meet with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani in the coming weeks to try to negotiate a new deal to curb Tehran's nuclear weapons program to replace the 2015 international deal that Trump withdrew from last year.
- Trump Says US Not Interested in Iran Regime Change VOA 26 Aug 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif's visit to the French city hosting the G-7 summit of world leaders was not a surprise to President Donald Trump, the U.S. leader said Monday.
- Official rejects US infiltration on Iran's infrastructure as bluff IRNA 26 Aug 2019 -- Head of Civil Defense Organization and commander of the Cyber Defense Headquarters Brigadier General Gholam-Reza Jalali called the US claims of cyber intrusion into Iran's infrastructure as mere "bluff".
- Iran says Zarif's France visit had nothing to do with G-7 IRNA 26 Aug 2019 -- A visit to France on Sunday by Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif had nothing to do with Group-7 summit, Government spokesman Ali Rabiei said on Monday, noting that the visit was paid at the request of the French Government.
- Zarif says visited France to discuss "previous issues" IRNA 26 Aug 2019 -- Foreign Minister Mohammed-Javad Zarif said upon arrival in Beijing Airport that his visit to Paris was made at invitation of French counterpart to follow up consultations already made by presidents of Iran and France.
- FM Zarif: Important days ahead IRNA 26 Aug 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in a message about his current Asian tour said that "important days are to come."
- Zarif has no intention to meet with American officials: government spokesman ISNA 26 Aug 2019 -- There has been no intention to meet with any US official in Iranian Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif's trip to Biarritz, Iranian government spokesman, Ali Rabiei said on Monday.
- Macron holds "positive" meeting with Iran FM: Elysee source ISNA 26 Aug 2019 -- French President, Emmanuel Macron has held a "positive" meeting with Iranian Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, an Elysee Palace source said.
- Iran has already told Macron missiles not up for negotiations: Informed source Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- Iran has rejected French President Emmanuel Macron's proposal to include the Islamic Republic's missile program into new negotiations, an informed source tells Press TV.
- Iran's Zarif in China: Disregard for international law on rise Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says disregard for international law has increased during recent years, describing this as a reason for boosting international cooperation between Iran and China.
- Iran's advancement only way ahead: Rouhani Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says endeavor towards Iran's advancement is the only feasible way ahead of the country amid enemy pressure.
- Trump claims he wants 'a good, strong Iran, not regime change' Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- US President Donald Trump claims he wants to see a strong Iran and that he is not seeking regime change in Tehran.
- Iran Says Oil From Disputed Tanker Pursued By U.S. Sold To Unnamed Buyer RFE/RL 26 Aug 2019 -- Iran says it has sold the oil from an Iranian-flagged supertanker at the center of a standoff between Tehran and Washington.
- Trump Says He's Ready To Meet Iran's Rohani Under 'Correct' Circumstances RFE/RL 26 Aug 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he would agree to meet Iranian President Hassan Rohani if "the circumstances were correct or right."
- Hong Kong Police Slammed For Escalating Violence Amid Ongoing Protests Radio Free Asia 26 Aug 2019 -- Hong Kong police faced mounting criticism on Monday after a number of officers pulled out their handguns, pointing them at journalists and local residents during an anti-extradition protest in the city's Kwai district, while a second protester was shot in the eye with a rubber bullet.
- 21 HK police hurt in illegal assembly over weekend Global Times 26 Aug 2019 -- Violence is again pushing Hong Kong on the verge of a very dangerous situation as rioters turned anti-government protests into a riot over the weekend.
- Hong Kong protests: The unseen truth ignored by biased media People's Daily 26 Aug 2019 -- As violence erupted on a 12-consecutive weekend in Hong Kong, a picture showing a large group of journalists cornering a solitary police officer while indifferent to the nearby chaos went viral online, helping the public see the truth hidden behind biased cameras.
- Hong Kong police say rioters push city to verge of dangerous situation Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- Violent protests have pushed Hong Kong to the verge of a very dangerous situation; say officials a day after the city saw some of the fiercest clashes between rioters and security officers.
- Chinese Dissidents Under Pressure As Hong Kong Fights For Freedom Radio Free Asia 26 Aug 2019 -- Authorities in the central Chinese province of Hubei have stepped up pressure on a prominent writer after he spoke out publicly in support of the anti-extradition movement in Hong Kong via Twitter.
- China Plans New Coal Mines Despite Curbs Radio Free Asia 26 Aug 2019 -- China has sent conflicting signals on environmental and economic policies with increases in coal production, rising imports and plans for new mines.
- Trump Voices New Optimism for a China Trade Deal VOA 26 Aug 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump voiced new optimism Monday that a trade deal could be reached with China to end the tit-for-tat tariff war between the world's two biggest economies.
- Smart lamppost toppled by protesters in HK amid rising violence People's Daily 26 Aug 2019 -- Hundreds of black-clad protesters clashed with riot police in Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Saturday. Protesters threw bricks and gasoline bombs at police, who responded with tear gas, peppers pray and rubber bullets to disperse the mob after repeated warnings were futile.
- China's Chang'e-4 probe resumes work for ninth lunar day People's Daily 26 Aug 2019 -- The lander and rover of the Chang'e-4 probe have resumed work for the ninth lunar day on the far side of the moon after "sleeping" during the extremely cold night.
- New Delhi in Talks With Moscow Over Rocket Engines for Indian Space Programme - ISRO Chief Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- New Delhi and Moscow are negotiating the organisation of the India-based production of semi-cryogenic rocket engines using Russian technology for the South Asian country's space programme, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) Chairman Kailasavadivoo Sivan said in an interview.
- Britain's Dilemma: US or Europe VOA 26 Aug 2019 -- It was music to the ears of Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson. The British will be able to strike a "fantastic deal" with the United States once Britain has thrown off the "anchor" of the European Union, U.S. President Donald Trump told Johnson during a convivial bilateral meeting at the G-7 summit in the French resort of Biarritz, where they breakfasted Sunday on scrambled eggs and veal sausages.
- Kosovar President Calls Snap Parliamentary Elections For October 6 RFE/RL 26 Aug 2019 -- Kosovo's president has set snap parliamentary elections for October 6 following the resignation of Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj in July.
- DRC Announces Government 8 Months After Vote VOA 26 Aug 2019 -- The Democratic Republic of Congo has announced a coalition government.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|