25 August 2019 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Military Official Confirms China Deal to Use Cambodian Naval Base VOA 25 Aug 2019 -- A senior U.S. Indo-Pacific Command officer August 15 confirmed Cambodia and China are proceeding on a base for China's navy in the Southeast Asian country's Preah Sihanouk province.
- Australia to Join Strait of Hormuz Tanker Protection Mission VOA 25 Aug 2019 -- Australia will send a warship and surveillance aircraft to the Persian Gulf to join an international effort to combat Iran's actions in the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most important shipping lanes.
- Successful Test-fire of Newly Developed Super-large Multiple Rocket Launcher Held under Guidance of Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un KCNA 25 Aug 2019 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea, chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and supreme commander of the armed forces of the DPRK, guided the test-fire of newly developed super-large multiple rocket launcher on Saturday.
- North Korea Claims Successful Test of New Super-Large Multiple Rocket Launcher Sputnik 25 Aug 2019 -- North Korea successfully tested a new super-large multiple rocket launcher, the Korean Central News Agency reported on Sunday.
- Britain dispatches another warship to Persian Gulf: Minister Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- Britain's defense minister says the country has dispatched a third warship to the Persian Gulf and Sea of Oman waters amid rising tensions in the region.
- Commander outlines Iran's various plans to thwart threats IRNA 25 Aug 2019 -- Deputy commander of Iran's Army for coordination said on Sunday that Iranian Armed Forces have adopted a variety of options for defense and are well-prepared to fulfill their task in the battlefields.
- Iran to unveil new air defense system IRNA 25 Aug 2019 -- Deputy Commander of Iranian Army Air Defense Brigadier-General Ali Reza Elhami said that the Army will unveil new advanced domestic air defense system 'Oghab'.
- Five Turkish general handed in resignations: Report Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- Five generals from the Turkish army have handed in resignations in the wake of a military council meeting earlier this month, opposition newspaper Cumhuriyet said on Sunday.
- Remarks by President Trump and Prime Minister Abe of Japan After Meeting on Trade | Biarritz, France The White House 25 Aug 2019
- Remarks by President Trump and Prime Minister Trudeau of Canada Before Bilateral Meeting | Biarritz, France The White House 25 Aug 2019
- Remarks by President Trump and Prime Minister Abe of Japan Before Bilateral Meeting | Biarritz, France The White House 25 Aug 2019
- Remarks by President Trump and Prime Minister Johnson of the United Kingdom Before Working Breakfast | Biarritz, France The White House 25 Aug 2019
- Remarks by President Trump and Prime Minister Johnson of the United Kingdom in Working Breakfast | Biarritz, France The White House 25 Aug 2019
- Joint Statement Following the Meeting of President Donald J. Trump and Prime Minister Boris Johnson The White House 25 Aug 2019
- South Korea kicks off drills around disputed island, draws ire from Japan Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- South Korea has staged military drills around a remote pacific island also claimed by Japan, prompting a protest from Tokyo in a move that could further stoke tensions between the two Asian neighbors.
- Japan Sends Protest to South Korea Over Military Exercises Near Disputed Islands - Reports Sputnik 25 Aug 2019 -- The government of Japan protested to South Korea in connection with the military exercises in the area of the Liancourt Rocks islands, disputed by Tokyo and Seoul, the Kyodo news agency reported, citing sources in Japanese diplomatic circles.
- South Korea Begins Drills Near Disputed Islands VOA 25 Aug 2019 -- South Korea has begun two days of war games near a set of disputed islands that are also claimed by Japan.
- Yemeni Army launches 'biggest' retaliatory attack on Saudi positions Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- The Yemeni army says it has launched the "biggest-ever" retaliatory attack against Saudi positions, killing and injuring dozens in the raid.
- Dozens of Saudi soldiers, mercenaries slain in Yemeni missile strike Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- Dozens of Saudi troopers and Saudi-sponsored militiamen loyal to Yemen's former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi have been killed and injured when Yemeni army soldiers and fighters from allied Popular Committees launched an offensive against their positions in the kingdom's southwestern region of Najran.
- Yemen conducts strikes on Saudi Arabian airport, airbase Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- Yemen's popular defense movement Houthi Ansarullah says it has targeted an airport and an airbase in southwestern Saudi Arabia with drone attacks.
- Coalition Forces intercept and shoot down a drone launched by Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia from Sanaa SPA 25 Aug 2019 -- The Official Spokesman of Coalition Forces ''Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen'' Colonel Turki Al-Maliki has stated that coalition forces managed to intercept and shoot down a drone launched by the Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia from Sanaa towards civilian facilities in Khamis Mushayt on Sunday morning.
- Yemeni Houthis Say Attacked Saudi Arabia's Jizan Airport Firing 10 Ballistic Missiles - Reports Sputnik 25 Aug 2019 -- The Houthis and the Saudi-led coalition, which supports Yemen's internationally recognised government in its fight against the movement, often exchange fire. Yemen's Houthis Fire 10 Ballistic Missiles Towards Saudi Arabia's Jizan Airport - Reports
- Supreme Leader's Adviser Denies Any Iranian Forces Hit in Israel's Weekend Attack on Syria Sputnik 25 Aug 2019 -- The Secretary of Iran's Expediency Discernment Council, an advisory body under the supreme leader, has refuted Israeli military's claims that Iranian forces were hit in its overnight airstrikes near Damascus.
- Israel says It Attacked Iranian Targets in Syria VOA 25 Aug 2019 -- Israel says it had attacked Iranian targets in Syria to foil an imminent attack by what it called Iranian "killer drones" on Israel.
- Iraq's Hashd al-Sha'abi downs spy drone Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- Forces from the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) in Iraq have shot down a spy drone in the country's northern Province of Nineveh.
- Unknown Drone Attacks Shiite Movement's Vehicles in Iraq - Local Official Sputnik 25 Aug 2019 -- An unknown drone has attacked two military vehicles belonging to the Popular Mobilisation Forces (PMF), an Iran-linked umbrella of mostly Shiite paramilitaries, in Al-Qaim district of the Iraqi province of Anbar, near the border with Syria, Ahmed Dilmi, the district's head, reported.
- Turkish forces 'neutralize' dozens of PKK terrorists in Turkey, northern Iraq Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- Turkish military forces have killed dozens of members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group during a string of counter-terrorism operations in the eastern part of the country and Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Tens of Thousands of Rohingya Mark 'Genocide Day' VOA 25 Aug 2019 -- Tens of thousands of Rohingya refugees rallied to mark the second anniversary of their exodus out of Myanmar.
- One Ukraine Soldier Killed, 3 wounded In Donbas Conflict RFE/RL 25 Aug 2019 -- One Ukrainian soldier was killed, and three were wounded on August 25 in the conflict zone of the Donbas where Moscow-backed separatists continue to fight government forces.
- Lebanon's Hezbollah will no longer tolerate intruding Israeli drones: Nasrallah Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- The secretary general of the Lebanese Hezbollah resistance movement says fighters from the movement will counter any further violation of the Lebanese airspace by Israeli unmanned aerial vehicles, warning the Tel Aviv regime to immediately cease such breaches.
- Lebanon Slams Israeli 'Aggression' After Two Alleged IAF Drones 'Invade Airspace', Crash Near Beirut Sputnik 25 Aug 2019 -- It was reported earlier in the day that two Israeli drones crashed near Hezbollah's headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, overnight, with one of them exploding in the air. The IDF has yet to comment on the alleged incident.
- Hezbollah: Israeli Drone Crashes Into Hezbollah Media Center VOA 25 Aug 2019 -- Hezbollah says two Israeli drones have crashed in Lebanon overnight.
- Lebanon Accuses Israel Of 'Aggression' After Two Drones Hit Hizballah Stronghold In Beirut RFE/RL 25 Aug 2019 -- Lebanon's military says two Israeli drones hit Hizballah's stronghold in south Beirut, while the Iran-backed Shi'ite movement says one of the aircraft damaged its media center.
- Kashmiri leader calls for peaceful protests, blasts information blockade Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- A prominent pro-independence leader in the Indian-controlled Kashmir has called on people in the disputed region to continue holding "peaceful protests" despite attempts by New Delhi to stifle their voices.
- Georgia's Separatist Abkhazia Holds 'Presidential Vote' Denounced By Tbilisi RFE/RL 25 Aug 2019 -- The breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia has held a "presidential election" which the government in Tbilisi has called "another illegal action."
- Global Trade Woes Likely Topic As G7 Leaders Begin Second Day Of Summit RFE/RL 25 Aug 2019 -- The leaders of the Group of Seven (G7) leading industrialized nations are set to begin the second day of their three-day summit in France, with global trade tensions likely to be the focus of talks.
- G-7 Meets in France VOA 25 Aug 2019 -- The leaders of the world's major industrialized countries are holding their annual summit.
- Trump at Odds with G-7 Leaders on Trade, Iran, N. Korea, Russia VOA 25 Aug 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump insists discussions are going well at the G-7 summit in Biarritz, France, despite apparent differences with leaders on issues including the trade war with China, how to handle Iran, the threat posed by North Korea and bringing Russia back into the grouping of the world's most advanced democracies.
- Day of Songun Marked in DPRK KCNA 25 Aug 2019 -- Art performances were given at theatres in Pyongyang and other parts of the country on Sunday to mark the Day of Songun.
- Peerlessly Songun Brilliant Commander KCNA 25 Aug 2019 -- Chairman Kim Jong Il, who started his Songun revolutionary leadership on August 25, Juche 49 (1960), strengthened the Korean People's Army into an invincible strong army reliably defending the country and people with outstanding and seasoned revolutionary leadership. -0-
- Chairman Kim Jong Il and Day of Songun KCNA 25 Aug 2019 -- August 25 is the Day of Songun in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
- Trump, Abe in disagreement over seriousness of North Korea's missile tests Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- US President Donald Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe have voiced radically different opinions over North Korea's recent missile tests, which have overshadowed speculations about a possible revival of denuclearization talks on the Korean Peninsula.
- Trump boasts really good relationship with N Korea, leader Kim Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has reportedly proclaimed that the United States has a really good relationship with North Korea and that its leader Kim Jong-un has been "pretty straight" with him.
- Iran's FM Zarif invited to G7 Summit IRNA 25 Aug 2019 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi announced the visit of the head of Iran's diplomatic apparatus Mohammad Javad Zarif to G7 summit at the invitation of his French counterpart.
- Iran uses all legitimate means to defend citizens: Foreign Ministry spokesman Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman says the Islamic Republic will resort to any legal and legitimate means to defend the "fundamental" rights of its citizens in line with the norms of international law.
- Iran's foreign minister in G7 venue, no talks with US on agenda: Spokesman Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has arrived in the French city of Biarritz where a meeting of the seven top economic powers of the world, known as G7, is going on to discuss with French officials the recent initiatives offered by the two countries' presidents.
- French Presidency Hails 'Positive' Talks With Iranian Foreign Minister; Zarif Says 'Difficult' Road Ahead RFE/RL 25 Aug 2019 -- The French president's office has described talks on the sidelines of the Group of Seven (G7) summit in the coastal town of Biarritz between French leaders and Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif as "positive" and said the discussions, which also included Germany and Britain, would continue.
- Iran says Trump gains nothing from sanctioning Iran IRNA 25 Aug 2019 -- Iranian Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi said on Sunday that US Administration is suffering from illusion about Iran and that the US maximum pressure on Iran will not help their dream come true.
- Iran's Envoy Makes Surprise Visit at Site of G-7 Summit VOA 25 Aug 2019 -- Iran's top diplomat, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, showed up Sunday at the French city hosting the G7 summit of top world leaders, but did not meet with U.S. officials during the brief visit.
- Violence Erupts on 12th Weekend of Hong Kong Protests VOA 25 Aug 2019 -- Hong Kong police drew their guns, fired tear gas and, for the first time, water cannons at anti-government protesters on Sunday in the 12th weekend of demonstrations.
- Hong Kong police show strength in dealing with rioters Global Times 25 Aug 2019 -- Rioters in Hong Kong on Sunday turned anti-government protests in Kowloon and Tsuen Wan into violence for the 12th straight weekend which forced the police to use wer cannons for the first time since months-long protests to disperse illegal rallies and maintain order in the city.
- Macao elects CE, upholds 'one country, two systems' Global Times 25 Aug 2019 -- Ho Iat Seng expressed his firm resolution to uphold the "one country, two systems" principle after he was elected the fifth-term chief executive-designate of China's Macao Special Administrative Region on Sunday.
- Hong Kong police disperse brick-throwing protesters Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- Police in Hong Kong have fired teargas and used water cannon to disperse crowds of brick-throwing protesters.
- Water Cannons Deployed for 1st Time in Hong Kong Protests to Crash Barricades - Reports Sputnik 25 Aug 2019 -- The Hong Kong police on Sunday deployed water cannons during the ongoing protests for the first time, using them to clear road barricades erected by demonstrators, the South China Morning Post newspaper reported.
- White House: Trump Wishes He'd Boosted China Tariffs Higher VOA 25 Aug 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Sunday he had "second thoughts" about escalating his reciprocal tariff war with China, but the White House quickly clarified that he meant that was because he did not raise the taxes even more than he did.
- HKSAR chief executive calls for dialogue to solve problems Global Times 25 Aug 2019 -- Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam on Saturday called for dialogue, pointing out that "the continued confrontation is not the way out."
- UK PM says chances of Brexit deal with Brussels improving People's Daily 26 Aug 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Sunday the chances of Britain reaching a Brexit deal with the European Union are improving.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|