04 August 2019 Military News
- Afghan TV Bus Bombed In Kabul, Killing Two RFE/RL 04 Aug 2019 -- Two people were killed and at least three others wounded in a blast targeting media workers in Kabul, Afghan officials say.
- 2 killed in TV bus bombing in Afghan capital Press TV 04 Aug 2019 -- A magnetic explosive device attached to a bus carrying media workers in the Afghan capital, Kabul, has killed at least two people and injured four others, officials say.
- Minor Issues Remain on Timeline of US Troops Withdrawal at US-Taliban Talks - Source Sputnik 04 Aug 2019 -- There have been minor issues on the timeline of the US troops' withdrawal from Afghanistan during the eighth round of US-Taliban* talks, a source close to the Taliban movement stated.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US defense chief claims support for anti-Iran Persian Gulf force despite rejections Press TV 04 Aug 2019 -- The new US defense chief has claimed that a Washington-led scheme to police the Persian Gulf and Strait of Hormuz against purported Iranian threat will soon gain commitments of several allied countries despite recent reports that even key US allies have snubbed the anti-Iran effort.
- U.S. 'Very Confident' It Can Build Maritime Coalition In Persian Gulf RFE/RL 04 Aug 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on August 4 that he was "very confident" the United States would be able to build a maritime security coalition in the Persian Gulf, but he didn't provide details on which nations may be willing to participate.
- Pentagon chief accuses China of aggressive behavior, vows more deployment to Asia Press TV 04 Aug 2019 -- Pentagon chief Mark Esper has accused China of destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region after saying the US plans to deploy intermediate-range missiles to Asia "sooner rather than later."
- New US Defense Chief Slams China on 1st Asian Visit VOA 04 Aug 2019 -- Secretary of Defense Mark Esper has slammed China's "destabilizing" actions in the Indo-Pacific region during his first trip to the region.
- Secretary Esper Meeting With Minister of Defense Reynolds DoD 04 Aug 2019 -- Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper met today with Australia's Minister for Defense Linda Reynolds at Victoria Barracks in Sydney, Australia.
- USS Carter Hall Sets Sail for UNITAS LX NNS 04 Aug 2019 -- Nearly 350 Sailors and Marines serving aboard the USS Carter Hall (LSD 50) departed Joint Expeditionary Base-Little Creek today, Aug. 4, for UNITAS LX (60).
- US Air Force only has six B-1 bombers ready to deploy Press TV 04 Aug 2019 -- The US military only has six bombers capable of being deployed, said the head of US Strategic Command (STRATCOM), Air Force Gen. John Hyten.
- Chinese light tank to get added protection Global Times 04 Aug 2019 -- China's made-for-export light tank, VT5, is expected to be outfitted with an active protection system, state broadcaster reported, which will enable the thin-armored tank to significantly expand its defense capability.
- Asia must be wary of US missile plan Global Times 04 Aug 2019 -- US Secretary of Defense Mark Esper said Saturday that he was in favor of deploying ground-based intermediate-range missiles in Asia. If that is the case, it will certainly trigger an intense arms race in the region.
- India Test-Fires Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missile Amid Tensions With Pakistan Sputnik 04 Aug 2019 -- The Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missile (QRSAM) was developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) in collaboration with Bharat Electronics Limited and Bharat Dynamics Limited for the Indian Army.
- Armed forces well-prepared to defend country IRNA 04 Aug 2019 -- Commander of Iranian Army Ground Forces Brigadier General Kiumars Heidari said on Sunday that Iranian forces are well-prepared to defend the country against any threat being posed by trans-regional forces.
- 'Iranian Army's Ground Force will nip any threat in bud' Press TV 04 Aug 2019 -- The commander of the Iranian Army's Ground Forces says the force will "nip any threat against Iran in the bud."
- Iranian Fighter Jet Crashes in Country's Bushehr Province, Two People on Board - Reports Sputnik 04 Aug 2019 -- Governor of Tangestan Abdolhossein Rafiipour has stated as quoted by Mehr news agency that the aircraft crashed at 12:30 p.m. local time (8:00 GMT).
- 'AI Systems, F-35 Helmets, Xbox Controllers': Israel Unveils 3 Prototypes of Next Generation Tanks Sputnik 04 Aug 2019 -- The Israeli Army has been using its Merkava main battle tank for the last 40 years, announcing the development of a replacement only in 2018. However, the project to create a next generation tank has turned into an idea of developing new technologies for both modern and future vehicles.
- Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo and Secretary of Defense Mark Esper, Australian Minister of Foreign Affairs Marise Payne, and Australian Minister of Defense Linda Reynolds at a Press Availability US Dept. of State 04 Aug 2019 -- Remarks by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- Remarks by President Trump Before Air Force One Departure The White House 04 Aug 2019
- Continuation of Yemen occupation perilous for UAE, Ansarullah's leader warns Press TV 04 Aug 2019 -- The leader of the Houthi Ansarullah movement has warned the United Arab Emirates (UAE) against its continued occupation of Yemen, advising the Persian Gulf country to fully pull out its troops from the crisis-hit Arab country.
- Several Yemeni missiles hit targets inside Saudi Arabia Press TV 04 Aug 2019 -- Yemeni forces have targeted gatherings of Saudi-led mercenaries in Saudi Arabia's southern province of Najran with several domestically-manufactured missiles.
- Yemen, UN's food agency ink deal to resume food aid Press TV 04 Aug 2019 -- Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement and the United Nations (UN)'s food agency announce an agreement to resume the delivery of food aid, which has been suspended for the past six weeks in some areas of the Arab country.
- U.S. Welcomes Syria Cease-Fire, Urges Focus On UN Peace Process RFE/RL 04 Aug 2019 -- The United States said it welcomes news of a cease-fire in northwest Syria and added it was "truly important" that attacks against civilians and civilian infrastructure be halted.
- Turkey to carry out operation in northern Syria: Erdogan Press TV 04 Aug 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country's troops will launch an offensive in an area controlled by US-backed Kurdish militants in northern Syria and that Ankara has already notified the United States and Russia of the operation.
- Erdogan: Turkey Will Carry Out Operation in Syria East of Euphrates Sputnik 04 Aug 2019 -- Turkey will launch an operation in Syria in the east of the Euphrates River, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said, adding that Ankara already notified Russia and the United States about its plans.
- War of words escalates between India, Pakistan as tensions run high over Kashmir Press TV 04 Aug 2019 -- Tensions have flared up between India and Pakistan, with the two nuclear-armed neighbors trading accusations over the disputed Himalayan region of Kashmir.
- India Imposes Restrictions in Kashmir Region Amid Military Build-Up - Reports Sputnik 04 Aug 2019 -- New Delhi has reportedly deployed at least 10,000 troops in the disputed region of Kashmir, with local media reports of a further 25,000 ordered to the region.
- Pakistani PM Imran Khan Warns of Regional Crisis in Kashmir, Asks Donald Trump to Intervene Sputnik 04 Aug 2019 -- Recent weeks have been marred by a spate of violence along the Indian-Pakistani border in Jammu and Kashmir, which is disputed by the two nuclear powers. Both countries' forces have clashed along the Line of Control, while local authorities have ordered civilians, including Hindu pilgrims and numerous tourists, to leave.
- Nuon Chea, Second-in-Command to Khmer Rouge Leader Pol Pot, Passes Away Aged 93 - Cambodia Court Sputnik 04 Aug 2019 -- The confirmation of Nuon Chea's death comes as the 93-year-old Khmer Rouge ideologist had been undergoing treatment at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital since early July.
- Sudan's generals, opposition ink accord on civilian rule Press TV 04 Aug 2019 -- Sudan's military rulers and opposition have signed a constitutional declaration that is expected to pave the way for a promised transition to civilian rule some four months after the ouster of long-time leader Omar al-Bashir.
- Germany, France Condemn Moscow's 'Excessive' Use Of Force After Protesters Detained RFE/RL 04 Aug 2019 -- Germany and France have criticized the detentions of more than 1,000 people at an unsanctioned demonstration in Moscow, saying the authorities used disproportionate use of force against peaceful protesters.
- IRGC: Tanker seized in Persian Gulf for smuggling fuel IRNA 04 Aug 2019 -- An Iranian commander said on Sunday that the tanker seized in the Persian Gulf had received smuggled fuel from other vessels, and was heading to the neighboring Arab countries.
- Iran seizes foreign vessel for smuggling 700k liters of fuel IRNA 04 Aug 2019 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy seized a foreign vessel near the Farsi Island in the Persian Gulf for carrying 700,000 liters of smuggled fuel.
- Iran seizes tanker smuggling fuel to Arab states in Persian Gulf Press TV 04 Aug 2019 -- Iran has confiscated a foreign oil tanker in the Persian Gulf that was smuggling fuel to some Arab countries.
- Iran Says It Has Seized Foreign Tanker In Persian Gulf RFE/RL 04 Aug 2019 -- Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) says it has seized a foreign oil tanker in the Persian Gulf that it says was smuggling fuel to "some Arab countries."
- Iran Seizes Third Foreign Ship in Less Than Month VOA 04 Aug 2019 -- Iran seized a foreign oil tanker and its seven crew members in the Persian Gulf last week, state media reported Sunday, the third time the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps has detained a ship in less than a month.
- Iran continuing oil export despite US sanctions ISNA 04 Aug 2019 -- China and other countries are receiving oil shipments from a larger number of Iranian tankers than was previously known, defying sanctions imposed by the United States to choke off Tehran's main source of income, an investigation by The New York Times has found.
- By sanctioning Zarif, US forfeited right to diplomacy: Iran Press TV 04 Aug 2019 -- The administration of Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says that by targeting Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif with sanctions, the United States has forfeited its right to diplomatically engage the Islamic Republic.
- Trump invited Zarif to White House, was snubbed: Report Press TV 04 Aug 2019 -- Shortly before the United States placed sanctions on Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, US President Donald Trump invited him for a meeting at the White House through an intermediary while he was in the US, a report says.
- Police Hit Back After Angry Crowds Surround Police Stations, Occupy Roads, Block Tunnel RFA 04 Aug 2019 -- Hong Kong continued to be rocked by "wildcat" anti-extradition and anti-police protests across the city all weekend, ahead of a general strike planned for Monday.
- Hong Kong riots 'secessionist' movement in essence Global Times 04 Aug 2019 -- Protests in Hong Kong hijacked by anti-mainland activists have escalated into riots and disrupted operations of a world financial and trade hub.
- Protesters in Hong Kong clash with police again Press TV 04 Aug 2019 -- Protesters in Hong Kong have clashed with police on the second consecutive night of confrontations, as China issued fresh warnings over the months-long unrest plaguing the international financial hub.
- China irate as US, UK flags feature in Hong Kong unrest Press TV 04 Aug 2019 -- Thousands of people, some carrying US and UK flags, have occupied the streets in Hong Kong, a day after violently clashing with police.
- Hong Kong Police Fire Tear Gas on 2nd Consecutive Day of Clashes With Protests - Reports Sputnik 04 Aug 2019 -- Hong Kong police have fired tear gas against protesters who took to the streets for the ninth consecutive weekend to demand that the government give up completely the notorious bill on extraditions to mainland China, the South China Morning Post newspaper reported.
- Hong Kong Protesters Refine Tactics Amid Latest Violence VOA 04 Aug 2019 -- Hong Kong marchers staged sometimes violent protests on multiple fronts Sunday night, introducing their latest tactic to evade riot police and tear gas as the demonstrations against a controversial extradition bill entered their ninth consecutive week.
- Texas Walmart Shooting Investigated as Hate Crime VOA 04 Aug 2019 -- Police officials in El Paso, Texas, say they are investigating as a possible hate crime the mass shooting Saturday at a Walmart that ended with at least 20 people killed and 26 wounded.
- Two US Mass Shootings Leave 29 Dead, Dozens Injured VOA 04 Aug 2019 -- In 13 hours of carnage in the United States, two shooters in separate incidents killed 29 people and injured dozens, leaving authorities searching for motives behind the mayhem.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|