02 August 2019 Military News
- Reports: U.S. To Withdraw Thousands Of Troops From Afghanistan RFE/RL 02 Aug 2019 -- The United States is ready to withdraw a large number of U.S. troops from Afghanistan in exchange for Taliban guarantees to start direct negotiations with Kabul on ending the nearly 18-year war in Afghanistan, U.S. media reported on August 1.
Defense Policy / Programs
- UN chief laments ending of Cold War-era disarmament treaty UN News 02 Aug 2019 -- Secretary-General António Guterres expressed his “deep regret” on Friday that the landmark Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty betweein the United States and Russia came to an end.
- Statement From Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper on the INF Treaty DoD 02 Aug 2019 -- Russia has failed to comply with its obligations under the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, and as such, the United States has withdrawn from the INF Treaty effective today, Aug. 2, 2019. This withdrawal is a direct result of Russia's sustained and repeated violations of the Treaty over many years and multiple presidential administrations.
- U.S. Withdrawal from the INF Treaty on August 2, 2019 US Dept. of State 02 Aug 2019 -- On February 2, 2019, the United States provided its six-month notice of withdrawal from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty due to the Russian Federation's continuing violation of the treaty.
- US withdraws from INF nuclear treaty with Russia Global Times 02 Aug 2019 -- The United States has formally withdrawn from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) treaty with Russia, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Friday in a statement.
- Secretary General: NATO response to INF Treaty demise will be measured and responsible NATO 02 Aug 2019 -- Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg marked the end of the INF Treaty with a press conference on Friday (2 August 2019), stressing that NATO's response will be "measured and responsible", ensuring credible and effective deterrence and defence.
- Statement by the North Atlantic Council on the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty NATO 02 Aug 2019
- US formally abandons INF, Moscow announces missile treaty's demise Press TV 02 Aug 2019 -- The United States has officially withdrawn from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty, blaming Russia for the Cold War-era treaty's collapse.
- A Russian-American Missile Treaty Dies. That May Be Bad News For China RFE/RL 02 Aug 2019 -- One of the most important arms control treaties of the Cold War - signed by Washington and Moscow 32 years ago - has all but died. For disarmament advocates, that's bad news.
- US Leaves INF Treaty, Says Russia 'Solely Responsible' VOA 02 Aug 2019 -- The United States on Friday pulled out of the Intermediate Range Nuclear Forces (INF) treaty to develop its own new missiles after the Russians refused to destroy their new missiles NATO says violate the pact.
- China regrets demise of INF treaty, strongly opposes US decision Press TV 02 Aug 2019 -- China has expressed its “deep regrets” over the collapse of the Cold War era’s Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) treaty between the United States and Russia, lambasting Washington for its pull out of the deal.
- US to accelerate development of cruise, ballistic missile systems after INF exit: Pentagon Press TV 02 Aug 2019 -- The United States will accelerate its development of new cruise and ballistic missile systems now that it has withdrawn from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty, the Pentagon says.
- Secretary of Defense Esper Media Engagement En Route to Sydney, Australia DoD 02 Aug 2019 -- Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper
- US Anti-Ballistic Missile Defence Costs Soar - Pentagon Report Sputnik 02 Aug 2019 -- The costs of the Patriot PAC-3 MSE and the Standard Missile-6 (SM-6) anti-ballistic interceptor defence programs have soared by more than $9 billion, the US Department of Defence said.
- US Army Fits Black Hawks With Laser System to Deter Heat-Seeking Missiles Sputnik 02 Aug 2019 -- US Army troops were recently deployed to Alabama to test the survivability of UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters equipped with a new infrared missile-fighting laser system.
- US senator to Pentagon: F-35 fighter jet program 'plagued' by troubles Press TV 02 Aug 2019 -- Budget overruns and technical issues that have "plagued" the program of the Pentagon's F-35 stealth aircraft have endangered the lives of American pilots and resulted in financial waste, a US senator says.
- US European, non-European allies reject US-led Persian Gulf naval mission Press TV 02 Aug 2019 -- The US request to build a "coalition" against Iran in the Persian Gulf has been met with either silence or rejection, including a blunt "no" from Germany, the New York Times reports.
- Stoltenberg: NATO Won't Deploy New Ground-Based Nuclear Missiles in Europe After INF Treaty Collapse Sputnik 02 Aug 2019 -- The statement comes shortly after the Russian Foreign Ministry announced that the 1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty had been terminated starting 2 August at Washington's initiative.
- NATO vows 'measured' response to Russia as INF falls apart Press TV 02 Aug 2019 -- NATO's Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg says the alliance seeks to avoid a "new arms race" with Russia but will give a "measured" response to alleged risks posed by a Russian missile, as Washington and Moscow cancel a bilateral arms treaty.
- Joint Drills With South Korea Still On Despite DPRK Missile Tests - US Official Sputnik 02 Aug 2019 -- The US plans to carry out joint military exercises with South Korea this month, a senior US defense official confirmed Wednesday, despite several North Korean missile launches over the past couple of weeks.
- Trilateral Strategic Dialogue Joint Ministerial Statement, August 1, 2019 US Dept. of State 02 Aug 2019 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States of America, Australia, and Japan.
- Afghan Defense Forces At Lowest Levels Since 2015 - SIGAR Report Sputnik 02 Aug 2019 -- According to a new report by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction, Afghan military and police force strength has declined by 20% since its previous quarterly report, reaching its lowest levels since 2015. However, the change might be due to a new tallying method.
- Why China's Latest Military Exercises Aren't Scaring the Rest of Asia VOA 02 Aug 2019 -- Chinese military drills in the East and South China seas this week failed to rattle militarily weaker neighbors because, defense experts say, most have grown used to the exercises and fear them less than they did a decade ago.
- Taiwan releases missile test video shortly after China's drill CNA 02 Aug 2019 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) on Friday released a video of its recent missile tests in southern Taiwan, demonstrating the country's surface-to-air, air-to-ship, ship-to-ship, and air-to-surface capabilities, one day after China concluded a military drill near the Taiwan Strait.
- Trump: North Korea Missile Launches 'Not a Violation' of US Deal VOA 02 Aug 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump downplayed a new round of North Korean missile tests early Friday, five months after his last denuclearization talk with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and with pressure building to iron out a deal.
- Trump has 'no problem' with North Korean missile tests Press TV 02 Aug 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has said he has "no problem" with a recent spate of short-range missile tests by North Korea, which is barred from ballistic missile tests under United Nations resolutions.
- FCO statement on North Korea missile test launches UK FCO 02 Aug 2019 -- Foreign and Commonwealth Office concerned by the launch of ballistic missiles by North Korea on 2 August, following similar tests on 24 and 30 July.
- DPRK fires short-range projectiles off east coast: S. Korea People's Daily 02 Aug 2019 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) fired two short-range projectiles off its east coast on Friday, according to South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS).
- U.S. detects DPRK launch of projectile: reports People's Daily 02 Aug 2019 -- Multiple U.S. media outlets on Thursday cited official sources as saying that the United States detected a projectile launched by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
- Japan Won't Send Warships to US-led Mission in Strait of Hormuz Amid Row With Iran - Reports Sputnik 02 Aug 2019 -- Last week, the US invited Australia, France, Germany, Japan, Norway, South Korea, the UK, and several other countries to join a maritime protection mission in the Persian Gulf region to counter Iran .
- Japanese Defence Minister Calls for Stronger Anti-Missile System Amid New N Korean Tests Sputnik 02 Aug 2019 -- Japanese Defence Minister Takeshi Iwaya said on Friday that Tokyo should boost its national missile defence system after North Korea launched another two missiles earlier this week.
- North Korea's Projectiles Did Not Reach Japan's Exclusive Economic Zone - Tokyo Sputnik 02 Aug 2019 -- The Japanese government said projectiles reportedly launched by North Korea in the early hours of Friday have not reached the waters of Japan's exclusive economic zone.
- India, US May Sign Defence Pacts, Enabling Washington to Share Critical Military Tech Sputnik 02 Aug 2019 -- Boosting their defence cooperation, India and the US may finalise two defence agreements -- the Industrial Security Annexure (ISA) and the Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement (BECA) -- on Friday to implement them in the near future.
- US Welcomes Cambodian Assurances on Reported Chinese Naval Base Radio Free Asia 02 Aug 2019 -- The United States has welcomed assurances by Cambodia that it will not permit China to construct naval facilities on its territory, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in Bangkok on Friday following meetings of ASEAN foreign ministers in the Thai capital.
- 2 August 2019 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 02 Aug 2019
- Security Council must ‘come together’ to address the plight of children trapped in armed conflict, says UN envoy UN News 02 Aug 2019 -- It is “vitally important” that the Security Council “come together” on the current plight of children affected by armed conflict across the globe”, Virginia Gamba, the United Nations Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict said on Friday.
- UAE withdrawing from Yemen because Abu Dhabi believes Saudi-led war is unwinnable: NYT Press TV 02 Aug 2019 -- A report sheds light on the motive behind a surprise decision by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) – a key member of a military coalition led by Saudi Arabia – to pull its troops out Yemen, saying Abu Dhabi has come to the conclusion that the war being waged on Yemen is "unwinnable."
- Yemeni armed forces unveil new generation of domestically-built Borkan missiles Press TV 02 Aug 2019 -- Yemeni Armed Forces have unveiled a new generation of domestically-built Borkan (Volcano) long-range missiles, which could act as a game changer in the face of the Saudi-led military aggression against the Arab country.
- Nearly 20 Saudi-led forces killed in al-Qaeda attack Press TV 02 Aug 2019 -- At least 19 Saudi-led forces loyal to Yemen's former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi have been killed in an al-Qaeda attack on a base in Yemen's southern province of Abyan.
- Coalition to Support of Legitimacy, in Yemen, Dismisses Houthi Militia's Claims of Capturing Military Positions, in Najran, Jizan, over the past few days SPA 02 Aug 2019 -- An official source of the Coalition to Support of Legitimacy, in Yemen, denied claims by Iran-backed Houthi militia, circulated on their media outlets, that they managed to capture several Saudi military positions, in Najran and Jizan, as well, over the few past days.
- Peace guarantors 'committed to preserving Syria's sovereignty' Press TV 02 Aug 2019 -- The three guarantor states in the Syrian peace process have reiterated their commitment to preserving Syria's sovereignty, at the end of the 13th round of talks for peace in the Arab country in Kazakhstan's capital, Nur-Sultan.
- Syrian government agrees to Idlib truce if buffer zone created Press TV 02 Aug 2019 -- The Syrian government has agreed to a truce deal in the country's militant-held northwestern province of Idlib on condition that a buffer zone is created between army troops and foreign-sponsored Takfiri terrorists.
- Russia Urges US, EU Countries to Withdraw Forces From Syria Sputnik 02 Aug 2019 -- Russia is urging the United States and European countries to withdraw forces from Syria, but can see the increase in their military presence there instead, Russian Special Presidential Envoy for Syria Alexander Lavrentyev said Friday.
- One Indian Soldier Killed, Two Injured in Ongoing Gunfight in Kashmir Sputnik 02 Aug 2019 -- As per the sources, 2-3 terrorists are believed to be trapped in the area. Two days ago the same group of terrorists, as per army sources, managed to flee from the site. Meanwhile, clashes have erupted between locals and security forces near the area.
- India Rejects US President Trump's Renewed Mediation Offer on Kashmir Sputnik 02 Aug 2019 -- New Delhi has again rejected US President Donald Trump's mediation offer to resolve the Kashmir issue between India and Pakistan. This is the second time Donald Trump has come out with similar statements and claimed that he had discussed the issue with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Fearing Terror Strikes, India Orders Return of Tourists and Pilgrims From Kashmir Sputnik 02 Aug 2019 -- India's northern Jammu and Kashmir government has ordered tourists and pilgrims to the Cave Shrine of Amarnath to return, in view of heightened terror threats. An order issued by the provincial government says that intelligence inputs indicate there are threats to the pilgrims.
- Russian Prime Minister Lands on Kuril Island of Iturup Sputnik 02 Aug 2019 -- Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev on Friday landed on the island of Iturup, which is part of the Kurils archipelago.
- Tokyo blasts Russian PM's visit to disputed island as 'extremely regrettable' Press TV 02 Aug 2019 -- Japan has slammed as 'extremely regrettable' a visit by Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev to a disputed island claimed by both countries, calling on Moscow to adopt "constructive" moves towards advancing ties.
- Cameroon: Construction Projects at Standstill Due to Separatist Crisis VOA 02 Aug 2019 -- Cameroon says the separatist war in its English-speaking regions has made it impossible to complete repairs and construction of public works like schools and roads. Nearly all contractors and their workers have been chased off by separatist fighters who have vowed to make the regions ungovernable, an official says.
- Statement from Senate Intel Chairman Burr on ODNI Nomination Office of Senator Burr 02 Aug 2019
- Trump threatens to impose blockade, quarantine on Venezuela Press TV 02 Aug 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has threatened to impose a quarantine or blockade against Venezuela, as part of Washington's latest efforts to pressure legitimately-elected President Nicolas Maduro to step down.
- US Sanctions Heads Of Venezuelan Police Force, Military CounterIntelligence - Pompeo Sputnik 02 Aug 2019 -- The United States has introduced sanctions against the commanders of Venezuela's police special forces and military counterintelligence over alleged human rights abuses, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced in a statement.
- The United States Publicly Designates Venezuela's Rafael Enrique Bastardo Mendoza and Ivan Rafael Hernandez Dala for Gross Violations of Human Rights US Dept. of State 02 Aug 2019 -- The United States is publicly designating Rafael Enrique Bastardo Mendoza, Commander of Venezuela's police special forces (the FAES), and Ivan Rafael Hernandez Dala, Commander of military counter intelligence (the DGCIM), for their involvement in gross violations of human rights.
- Talks on Sudan's Gov't Continue Despite Latest Protester Deaths VOA 02 Aug 2019 -- Tens of thousands of people marched in Khartoum and other Sudanese cities on Thursday to demand justice for those killed in recent protests. Sudan's ruling Transitional Military Council acknowledged that its Rapid Support Forces were involved in the shooting deaths of six people in the city of El Obeid earlier this week. Despite the tension, talks on forming a transitional government are going ahead.
- Trump imposes new sanctions on Russia over Skripal poisoning Press TV 02 Aug 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has imposed a new round of sanctions on Russia over accusations that Moscow was involved in the poisoning of a former Russian spy and his daughter in Britain last year.
- Trump Signs New Sanctions Against Russia RFE/RL 02 Aug 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has imposed new sanctions on Russia for its alleged involvement in the March 2018 near-fatal nerve-agent attack on Sergei Skripal and his daughter in Britain, a "regrettable" move that Moscow says will damage bilateral ties.
- US Imposes New Round of Anti-Russian Sanctions Over Skripal Case Sputnik 02 Aug 2019 -- According to a senior Trump administration official, US President Donald Trump has signed an executive order that envisages new sanctions on Russia over the alleged nerve agent attack in Salisbury in 2018.
- Gov't spox: Sanctions on Zarif indicate Iran's policy penetration in US IRNA 02 Aug 2019 -- Iranian Government spokesman Ali Rabie described the US fear from Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif as sign of their weakness, saying sanctions indicated that Iranian diplomacy is penetrating in the US society.
- US should adapt to new global realities, stop isolating itself: Zarif Press TV 02 Aug 2019 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the US cannot change the fact that global power is shifting in favor of Iran, Russia and China by resorting to sanctions and killing deals, advising Washington to, instead, adapt to the new realities on the world stage and "stop isolating itself."
- World opposes US sanctions against Iranian Foreign Minister Press TV 02 Aug 2019 -- World countries and the United Nations have censured the administration of US President Donald Trump over imposing sanctions on Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif.
- US Failure to Drag Europe Into Gulf Naval Mission Behind Sanctions on Zarif - Iranian Military Sputnik 02 Aug 2019 -- The US Department of Treasury introduced sanctions against Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif earlier this week in what Steven Mnuchin has described as a "clear message" to Tehran that "its recent behaviour is completely unacceptable".
- Hong Kong's Civil Servants Come Out in Support of Anti-Extradition Protests Radio Free Asia 02 Aug 2019 -- Tens of thousands of people joined a rally of civil servants in downtown Hong Kong on Friday to call on the city's government to meet the five demands of anti-extradition protests that have gripped the city since June 6.
- Interview: 'Anyone Resisting Orders Will be Sent to a Concentration Camp' Radio Free Asia 02 Aug 2019 -- Li Xin, the pen name of a former resident of China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR), says ruling Chinese Communist Party policies in the region have been the main cause of violence and instability, and that Han Chinese who care about the situation daren't speak out in case their entire family is sent to a concentration camp, her description of "re-education" facilities that Beijing claims are for "vocational training."
- Trump tells truth about HK riot, sets off hysteria among backers of violence Global Times 02 Aug 2019 -- US President Donald Trump on Thursday rightly described recent violent protests in Hong Kong as riots, and said China should handle the situation by itself as the city is part of China.
- China warns US of tariffs backlash Global Times 02 Aug 2019 -- China on Friday vowed necessary countermeasures to safeguard its core interests after the US threatened to impose 10 percent in tariffs on another $300 billion in Chinese goods, saying that the country will not accept any extreme pressure threat and blackmail, nor "make any concession" on issues of principle.
- U.S. should stop making troubles for trade talks People's Daily 02 Aug 2019 -- Just as China and the U.S. prepared for the 12th round of high-level economic and trade consultations, some American politicians once again found ants in their pants and tried to destroy the potential for cooperation.
- US Secretary of State Defends Tariffs on China, Cites 'Bad Behavior' VOA 02 Aug 2019 -- In a speech Friday to a regional youth leadership program in Thailand, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo defended new U.S. tariffs on China, saying, "We want free and fair trade, not trade that undermines competition."
- Security Council gravely concerned by Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, demands immediate end to violence hampering response UN News 02 Aug 2019 -- The UN Security Council on Friday expressed grave concern about the current Ebola virus outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), and stressed the urgency of broad cooperation in the response, as "the disease could spread rapidly, including to neighbouring countries, possibly having serious humanitarian consequences and impacting regional stability."
- Congo: 4th Case of Ebola Confirmed VOA 02 Aug 2019 -- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says it has sent a dozen staffers to a Democratic Republic of Congo border city to manage Ebola cases there. The outbreak, which began a year ago has now killed more than 1,800 people. The agency indicated it would send more staffers if armed conflict in the northeastern region subsided to safer levels.
- Intrigue As Zelenskiy Says He Has Not Signed Chief Of Staff's Resignation Letter RFE/RL 02 Aug 2019 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has confirmed that his chief of staff, Andriy Bohdan, has filed his resignation letter just two months after taking the post, but that the president has not signed it.
- Kyiv Mayor Klitschko, President Zelenskiy Battle Over City Management Rights RFE/RL 02 Aug 2019 -- Mayor Vitali Klitschko is on a collision course with President Volodymyr Zelenskiy over his executive powers as the head of the city state administration, the national-level branch of Ukraine's government that administers the capital.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|