24 July 2019 Military News
- Dunford Checks Pulse of Afghan, Coalition Efforts CENTCOM 24 Jul 2019 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has traveled to Afghanistan's capital of Kabul for consultations with U.S., NATO and Afghan officials.
- Croatia Says One Soldier Killed, Two Injured In Afghanistan Attack RFE/RL 24 Jul 2019 -- A Croatian soldier was killed and two were seriously wounded in Afghanistan in a suicide attack on their convoy outside Kabul on July 24, Croatia's Defense Minister Damir Krsticevic told a news conference in Zagreb.
- Kabul Blast Kills One Croatian Soldier, Wounds 2 Others VOA 24 Jul 2019 -- Officials in Afghanistan say a suicide bomber rammed his explosives-packed vehicle into a NATO military convoy in Kabul Wednesday, killing one Croatian soldier and wounding two others.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Esper becomes 27th Defense Secretary Army News 24 Jul 2019 -- Dr. Mark T. Esper became the 27th defense secretary Tuesday during an early evening White House swearing-in ceremony.
- Navy to Commission Guided-Missile Destroyer Paul Ignatius DoD 24 Jul 2019 -- The Navy will commission its newest Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer, the future USS Paul Ignatius (DDG 117), during a 10 a.m. EDT ceremony Saturday, July 27, at Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- Media Availability With Secretary Esper DoD 24 Jul 2019 -- Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T. Esper
- Comfort Begins Medical Services in Costa Rica Following Opening Ceremony NNS 24 Jul 2019 -- Senior leadership from the hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) alongside host, U.S. diplomatic and partner nation representatives attended an opening ceremony to mark the beginning of the ship's medical mission stop in Puntarenas, Costa Rica, July 23.
- Undersecretary Modly Concludes Mediterranean Region Trip of Strengthening Alliances to Include Stops in Egypt, Israel NNS 24 Jul 2019 -- Undersecretary of the Navy Thomas Modly completed a four-country trip to the Mediterranean region July 15-24, to continue to foster relationships with our allies and partners.
- Vt. ANG prepares for F-35 arrival US Air Force 24 Jul 2019 -- Airmen across the 158th Fighter Wing gathered at the 158th Logistics Readiness Squadron traffic management office to assist with the landmark induction of support equipment for the F-35 Lightning II mission. Aspects of data compliance and inventory procedural guidance are some of the required tasks in efforts to effectively support the Vermont Air National Guard's new mission in the upcoming months.
- US Navy in Ghana to Collaborate on Securing Gulf of Guinea VOA 24 Jul 2019 -- The Gulf of Guinea is a hot spot for illegal activities, which affect global trade and security. This week a conference in Ghana's capital, Accra, seeks solutions to overcome issues that plague the region. Experts say collaboration will be the focus of a seaborne law enforcement effort.
- Russia's Avangard Hypersonic Glide Vehicle Not Violating New START Deal - General Staff Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- Russia's new Avangard hypersonic glide vehicle, which the Russian Strategic Missile Forces are set to receive by the end of the year, will not violate the provisions of the Russian-US New START arms reduction treaty, Viktor Poznikhir, an acting head of the Main Operational Directorate at the Russian General Staff, said.
- Russia's South Military District Starts Exercise Ahead of NATO Drills In Georgia RFE/RL 24 Jul 2019 -- Two armies of Russia's Southern Military District on July 24 began a large-scale military exercise in the region ahead of a scheduled NATO exercise in Georgia, TASS reported citing the district's press service.
- China's defense white paper downplays military threat: MND CNA 24 Jul 2019 -- China on Wednesday released its first defense white paper since 2012, a document criticized by Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense (MND) as deliberately downplaying the growing military threat posed by Beijing.
- China issues white paper on national defense in new era Global Times 24 Jul 2019 -- China on Wednesday issued a white paper to expound on its defensive national defense policy in the new era and explain the practice, purposes and significance of China's efforts to build a fortified national defense and a strong military.
- China adheres to defensive national defense policy: white paper Global Times 24 Jul 2019 -- China adheres to a national defense policy that is defensive in nature, said a white paper titled "China's National Defense in the New Era" released on Wednesday.
- China will never seek hegemony: defense white paper Global Times 24 Jul 2019 -- China released its 10th national defense white paper on Wednesday, which established a defensive national defense system of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) in the new era to demonstrate the Chinese military's peaceful development strategy and slammed the US' unilateralism that has undermined global stability.
- Peace an irreversible trend, but world not tranquil place: white paper Global Times 24 Jul 2019 -- Peace, development and win-win cooperation remain the irreversible trends of the times, but the world is not yet a tranquil place, said a white paper on China's national defense released Wednesday.
- China pursues nuclear strategy of self-defense: white paper Global Times 24 Jul 2019 -- China pursues a nuclear strategy of self-defense, the goal of which is to maintain national strategic security by deterring other countries from using or threatening to use nuclear weapons against China, a white paper said Wednesday.
- White paper explains fundamental goal of China's national defense Global Times 24 Jul 2019 -- Resolutely safeguarding China's sovereignty, security and development interests is the fundamental goal of China's national defense in the new era, said a white paper released by the State Council Information Office on Wednesday.
- China Releases Military White Paper, Disclosing Defense Spending VOA 24 Jul 2019 -- For the first time in four years, China's Ministry of National Defense on Wednesday released a white paper on the country's overall national defense strategy, disclosing that, before 2017, its military spending accounted for 1.28 percent of its GDP.
- China-Russia military ties come first Global Times 24 Jul 2019 -- A newly released white paper said military relations between China and Russia have reached a high and continue to develop, a signal experts said demonstrates the two countries' determination to safeguard regional and international peace and stability.
- White paper states global significance of China's national defense Global Times 24 Jul 2019 -- The global significance of China's national defense in the new era is actively contributing to building a community with a shared future for mankind, a white paper said Wednesday.
- China's defense expenditure reasonable, appropriate: white paper Global Times 24 Jul 2019 -- China's defense expenditure is reasonable and appropriate, said a white paper released Wednesday by the State Council Information Office.
- White paper gives overview of reshuffled armed forces Global Times 24 Jul 2019 -- A white paper titled "China's National Defense in the New Era," released Wednesday by the State Council Information Office, gave a systematic introduction to the reshuffled People's Liberation Army (PLA) and the People's Armed Police Force (PAP) troops.
- China establishing modernized weaponry, equipment system: white paper Global Times 24 Jul 2019 -- China's armed forces are optimizing the overall composition of weaponry and equipment and coordinating the efforts of all services and arms in this regard, a white paper said Wednesday.
- China keeps active military force at 2 mln after downsizing: white paper Global Times 24 Jul 2019 -- The Chinese military has cut 300,000 personnel to keep the total active force at 2 million, said a white paper released by the State Council Information Office on Wednesday.
- Historic strides made in strengthening Chinese armed forces: white paper Global Times 24 Jul 2019 -- China is advancing defense and military modernization across the board, and deepening reform in national defense and armed forces in all respects with a focus on removing institutional barriers and solving structural and policy-related problems, a white paper said Wednesday.
- White paper expounds on missions, tasks of China's armed forces in new era Global Times 24 Jul 2019 -- A white paper titled "China's National Defense in the New Era" released by the State Council Information Office Wednesday expounded on the missions and tasks of China's armed forces.
- PLA establishes modern weapons, equipment system: white paper Global Times 24 Jul 2019 -- The Chinese military is establishing a modernized weaponry and equipment system by commissioning the likes of Type 15 tanks, Type 052D destroyers, J-20 fighters and DF-26 intermediate and long-range ballistic missiles, according to a white paper issued by defense ministry on Wednesday.
- China will never seek hegemony: white paper People's Daily 24 Jul 2019 -- China will never seek hegemony, expansion or spheres of influence, said a white paper released by the State Council Information Office on Wednesday.
- Chinese bombers on exercise 'did not violate any country's airspace' People's Daily 24 Jul 2019 -- China's Air Force conducted a joint air patrol exercise with its Russian counterpart in the East China Sea and Sea of Japan on Tuesday, and did not violate any international regulations or any country's airspace, Ministry of National Defense spokesman Wu Qian said on Wednesday.
- China to further improve welfare for retired soldiers People's Daily 24 Jul 2019 -- China will further increase the pension and subsidies for disabled veterans, Red Army veterans and families of martyrs.
- China's national defense white paper sends signal of peace People's Daily 24 Jul 2019 -- China on Wednesday issued a white paper on national defense in the new era, sending a strong signal for peace.
- China: US undermining global stability with unilateralism Press TV 24 Jul 2019 -- China says the United States is undermining global strategic stability by adopting unilateral policies against major countries in the world.
- China, Russia Never Violated Other Countries' Airspace During Patrols - Defence Ministry Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- Russian and Chinese military aircraft did not violate the airspace of other countries during joint patrols over the Sea of ??Japan, Chinese Defence Ministry spokesman Wu Qian told a press conference on Wednesday.
- China Says US Military Strategy Undermines Strategic Stability Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- In its national defence white paper China said that international non-proliferation regime compromised by double standards and faces new challenges.
- China probes ex-military official for discipline violations, denies espionage claims Global Times 24 Jul 2019 -- China's defense ministry said Wednesday that former military official Qian Weiping is being investigated for suspected discipline violations and duty-related crime, dismissing reports that the probe was linked to espionage allegations.
- Former officer being investigated for discipline violations, not espionage People's Daily 24 Jul 2019 -- China's Ministry of National Defense denied on Wednesday that a former senior military officer, Qian Weiping, is suspected of espionage.
- Russia Starts Shipping New S-400s to China Months Ahead of Schedule – Report Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- Previously, Russia began delivering its top air defence systems to Turkey despite major pressure from the US to force Ankara to drop its contract with Moscow.
- PLA garrison can conduct public security missions if HK govt requests, says Defense Ministry citing law Global Times 24 Jul 2019 -- China's Defense Ministry said on Wednesday that the military is following closely the recent situation in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), citing a law that allows the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA)'s Hong Kong Garrison to conduct public security missions after the local government makes a request to the central government.
- Cambodia Needs No US Guidance on How to Be Friends With China Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- Cambodia is building its relationship with China, adhering to the constitution, and refutes US information regarding Sino-Cambodian military ties. Prime Minister of Cambodia Hun Sen has called reports on China's access to Cambodia's Ream Naval Base in the Gulf of Thailand "the worst news that has ever been fabricated" against the country.
- North Korea Fires 2 Missiles Off East Coast, Seoul Says VOA 24 Jul 2019 -- North Korea fired two missiles off its east coast early Thursday, South Korea's military said, Pyongyang's latest provocation that threatens to further delay stalled nuclear talks.
- Russia changes story on S. Korea airspace intrusion Updated: 2019-07-24 ARIRANG 24 Jul 2019 -- Seoul's defense ministry has rejected what it's saying are distorted claims by Russia regarding Tuesday's intrusion into Korea's airspace.
- Moscow Denies Voicing 'Deep Regret' To Seoul Over Airspace Violation RFE/RL 24 Jul 2019 -- South Korean officials say Russia has expressed "deep regret" over the intrusion of one of its military aircraft into South Korean airspace, a claim that Moscow is denying.
- Russia and China Deny Violating South Korean Airspace VOA 24 Jul 2019 -- Both Russia and China are denying their military aircraft violated South Korea's territorial airspace during a joint air patrol Tuesday.
- Top Dems on Senate Foreign Relations Panel Urge Trump to Sanction Turkey Over S-400 Buy Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- President Donald Trump must impose sanctions on Ankara for accepting Russian S-400 defence systems or US measures against Moscow will suffer, top Democrats on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee said in a letter.
- Trump, US Republican Senators Meet at White House to Discuss Turkish Sanctions Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- US Republican Senators are meeting with US President Donald Trump at the White House to discuss potential sanctions on Turkey as a response to its procurement of the Russian S-400 air defence systems, a White House press pool report revealed.
- No drone lost: Iran's defense chief IRNA 24 Jul 2019 -- Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier-General Amir Hatami on Wednesday rejected reports on an Iranian drone shot-down by US navy.
- No Iranian drone shot down by US forces, aircraft flew over Persian Gulf for hours: IRGC chief Press TV 24 Jul 2019 -- The chief commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has roundly dismissed as a "big lie" American officials' claims that US forces may have downed more than one Iranian drone over the Persian Gulf, emphasizing that the Islamic Republic has not lost any unmanned aerial vehicle.
- Tehran Denies Pentagon's Claim US Downed Two Iranian Drones in Strait of Hormuz Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- The day before, US Central Command commander Gen. Kenneth McKenzie claimed that the US Navy warship could have destroyed two Iranian drones last week in the Strait of Hormuz.
- India to Begin First-Ever Simulated Space Warfare Exercise - Report Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- The Indian military plans to begin a two day first-ever simulated space warfare exercise on 25 July to draft a joint military space doctrine to secure outer space assets.
- Taiwan to hold missile test in Pingtung CNA 24 Jul 2019 -- The National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology (NCSIST) will soon conduct a live-fire missile drill from its coastal base in Pingtung County and send missiles toward waters off the coast of Yilan County.
- Remarks by President Trump Before Marine One Departure The White House 24 Jul 2019
- 24 July 2019 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 24 Jul 2019
- Israeli airstrike kills, injures several civilians in southwestern Syria: Report Press TV 24 Jul 2019 -- Several civilians have lost their lives and sustained injuries when Israeli fighter jets launched an airstrike against a strategic area in Syria's southwestern province of Dara'a, north of the border with Jordan.
- Turkey: New US proposals for safe zone in northern Syria fall short Press TV 24 Jul 2019 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says Ankara is not satisfied with new US proposals for a safe zone in northern Syria, warning that Turkey is running out of patience with Washington over the issue.
- Exclusive: Haftar Army Has No Intention of Controlling Tripoli or Libya by Force – Libyan Interim Govt. FM Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- The Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the Interim Libyan Government of Eastern Libya, Abdul Hadi Al-Hweij, has spoken about the ongoing Haftar army's operation to gain control over Tripoli and the situation in Libya an exclusive interview to Sputnik in Benghazi.
- Explosion rocks Somali capital, injures Mogadishu mayor Press TV 24 Jul 2019 -- The mayor of Somalia's capital Mogadishu and several other officials have been wounded in an explosion that hit local government headquarters.
- Trump's Mideast envoy under fire at UNSC for attacking intl. law on Palestine issue Press TV 24 Jul 2019 -- US President Donald Trump's Middle East envoy faces strong criticism from members of the UN Security Council, including Washington's own allies, after he downplayed the world body's resolutions on the Middle East conflict and said the Israeli-Palestinian issue cannot be resolved by relying on "fictions" of global consensus.
- Outgoing Kosovo PM Haradinaj Silent At War Crimes Court Questioning RFE/RL 24 Jul 2019 -- Ramush Haradinaj, Kosovo's outgoing prime minister, has appeared before a special court in The Hague investigating alleged war crimes by separatist fighters from the Kosovo Liberation Army two decades ago.
- Pakistan Summons Indian Envoy Over Alleged Kashmir Ceasefire Violations Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- Two days earlier the Indian Army reported an exchange of fire between Indian and Pakistani forces on the Line of Control (LoC) in the disputed Jammu and Kashmir region, resulting in at least one soldier being killed and four civilians being injured.
- Police, Residents Clash In Kyrgyzstan Following Deadly Incident On Tajik Border RFE/RL 24 Jul 2019 -- Police in Kyrgyzstan's southern Batken region on the border with Tajikistan say three officers have been injured in clashes with local residents as officials meet to ease tensions after a deadly incident in the area between Kyrgyz and Tajik nationals.
- Successful elections and 'political dialogues' push democracy forward in West Africa and the Sahel UN News 24 Jul 2019 -- Progress has been made in consolidating democracy in West Africa and the Sahel, according to the United Nation's Special Representative in the region on Wednesday, who cited successful elections and "political dialogues" as part of the advances made.
- Mueller Testimony Frustrates Both Parties by Rarely Straying From His Report VOA 24 Jul 2019 -- Ahead of his appearance before the House judiciary and intelligence committees, Mueller, a former FBI director, had warned that he'd not stray beyond his 448-page legal thicket. He stuck to his word, frustrating both Democrats and Republicans in the process.
- Mueller: Investigation Did Not Exonerate Trump of Alleged Obstruction VOA 24 Jul 2019 -- Former special counsel Robert Mueller told Congress Wednesday that his investigation of Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election did not exonerate President Donald Trump of allegedly obstructing justice by trying to thwart the probe, even though the U.S. leader has claimed it did.
- Russia Says it Will Scrutinize Mueller's Congressional Testimony VOA 24 Jul 2019 -- Russian government officials are watching former U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller's testimony before Congress Wednesday while continuing to deny Moscow interfered in the 2016 presidential election.
- Mueller Again Shatters 'Collusion' Claims, But Says Trump Could Still Be Prosecuted After Presidency Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- Mueller was summoned to testify in the US Congress despite earlier statements that he had nothing to say about the probe except for what had already been written in his report on the investigation's results, which was published with several parts redacted in April 2019.
- Statement from the Press Secretary The White House 24 Jul 2019
- Sudan military says foils coup attempt, detains senior officers Press TV 24 Jul 2019 -- Sudan's military says it has thwarted a coup attempt and detained several high-ranking officers linked to the putsch.
- Sudan's Army Chief Among Several Arrested in Alleged Coup Plot VOA 24 Jul 2019 -- Sudan's military said Wednesday that it had arrested the army chief and several senior officers in connection with a foiled coup attempt.
- Sudanese Military Council May Consider Appendix to Power-Sharing Deal Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- The Sudanese transitional military council is ready to consider an appendix to its power-sharing deal with the opposition to include demands of the armed movements, a senior council member said.
- Venezuelan Opposition Congress Moves to Request Foreign Military Aid Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- Venezuela's opposition-led legislature agreed Tuesday to get the country back into the so-called Rio Treaty which would allow them to request foreign military help.
- Russian Authorities, Opposition Go Toe-To-Toe Over Moscow Duma Elections RFE/RL 24 Jul 2019 -- Moscow authorities and members of the anti-Kremlin opposition are on a collision course after election officials in the capital refused to register a large number of independent candidates for the September 8 city Duma elections in the Russian capital.
- Russian Activist Navalny Sentenced Amid Clampdown On Moscow Opposition RFE/RL 24 Jul 2019 -- A Russian court has sentenced Aleksei Navalny to 30 days in jail as part of a larger clampdown on opposition leaders ahead of an unauthorized protest this weekend.
- Iran defends seizure of British tanker in letter to UN Security Council Press TV 24 Jul 2019 -- Iran has defended its move in capturing a British tanker in the Persian Gulf, saying that the vessel was impounded after it breached international law by attempting to flee the scene of a dangerous collision with an Iranian boat.
- Iran warns Brazil of consequences over refusing fuel to ships Press TV 24 Jul 2019 -- Iran has asked Brazil to allow refueling of Iranian ships or have Tehran cancel imports worth about $2 billion a year from the Latin American country.
- Iran to confront acts of mischief in Persian Gulf: Rouhani Press TV 24 Jul 2019 -- President Hassan Rouhani says Iran has the responsibility for securing the Strait of Hormuz and the Persian Gulf and will decisively confront any attempt at destabilizing the strategic waters.
- Iran will secure Strait of Hormuz, won't allow any shipping disturbance: Official Press TV 24 Jul 2019 -- Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Abbas Araqchi says the Islamic Republic will strive to ensure security of the Strait of Hormuz, and will not allow any disturbance in shipping in the strategic sea passage between the Persian Gulf and the Sea of Oman.
- Iranian President Hints At Possible Tanker Swap With Britain, Talks With U.S. RFE/RL 24 Jul 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani has hinted that Tehran is open to a possible tanker swap with Britain and indirect talks with the United States over its nuclear program and sanctions.
- Iran Pledges to Do Utmost to Ensure Security in Persian Gulf and Strait of Hormuz Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- Iran will do everything to ensure the security of the Persian Gulf, especially the Strait of Hormuz, following several incidents that resulted in increased global tensions, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi told French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian during their recent meeting, IRNA reported on Wednesday.
- Li Peng, former chairman of NPC Standing Committee, dies at 91 Global Times 24 Jul 2019 -- Li Peng, former chairman of the National People's Congress Standing Committee, died of illness in Beijing at the age of 91 at 11:11 pm Monday, an official statement said Tuesday.
- India's Lunar Probe Chandrayaan-2 Completes First Orbit Manoeuver Successfully Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- India's second Moon Mission, Chandrayaan-2 completed its first orbit manoeuver successfully. The Earthbound manoeuvers of the spacecraft will be executed starting today, and it is scheduled to reach the Moon by 20th August 2019. The second orbit manoeuver is planned for 26th July.
- Pakistan remands alleged mastermind of Mumbai attacks for 14 days Press TV 24 Jul 2019 -- A court in Pakistan has remanded to custody a terror suspect accused of masterminding a four-day attack on India's financial capital, Mumbai, in 2008, his lawyer says.
- PM Imran Khan Admits 40,000 Pakistani Militants Linked to 40 Groups Exist on His Country's Soil Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- In a first of its kind admission, Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan revealed that around 40,000 militants linked to 40 different groups exist on his country's soil. Khan also admitted that it was members of Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) who carried out the Pulwama attack.
- Rise in US domestic terror arrests linked to white supremacy: FBI Press TV 24 Jul 2019 -- White supremacist violence is to blame for a spike in US domestic terror arrests, says Christopher Wray, the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- 'Deadly environment' plus 'political and social' obstacles hinder Ebola fight in DR Congo, Security Council hears UN News 24 Jul 2019 -- The problems of eradicating Ebola in the Democratic Republic of the Congo are not only medical, but also linked "to a variety of political and social factors", the head of the UN mission in the country told the Security Council on Wednesday.
- EU warns UK's new PM: No revising of Brexit deal! Press TV 24 Jul 2019 -- The European Commission's newly-appointed President Ursula von der Leyen has warned Britain's incoming Prime Minister Boris Johnson of "challenging times ahead" with his vow to renegotiate Brexit.
- Boris Johnson's first speech as Prime Minister: 24 July 2019 Gov.UK 24 Jul 2019 -- Boris Johnson gave his first speech as Prime Minister in Downing Street.
- Uzbek President's Office Statement On Birthday Call Contradicts Rumors Of Turkmen Leader's Death RFE/RL 24 Jul 2019 -- Uzbekistan's presidential press service says Turkmen President Gurbanguly Berdymukhammedov spoke by telephone with Uzbek President Shavkat Mirziyoev on July 24 to congratulate him on his birthday.
- Kyrgyzstan's Embattled Atambaev Leaves For Moscow From Russian Air Base Aboard Private Jet RFE/RL 24 Jul 2019 -- Former Kyrgyz President Almazbek Atambaev, who faces five counts of criminally abusing his office when he held power from 2011 to 2017, has left Kyrgyzstan aboard a private jet headed to Moscow.
- Malawi Protesters Reject Former President's Call for Dialogue VOA 24 Jul 2019 -- Malawi protesters have rejected a call by former President Bakili Muluzi to suspend street action to allow for talks to end further election-related clashes. Protesters have been calling for the Malawi Electoral Commission chairperson to resign over alleged fraud since President Peter Mutharika's May re-election.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|