20 July 2019 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- 380th AEW AWACS provide the big picture to combatant commanders US Air Force 20 Jul 2019 -- Imagine a pilot flying their aircraft in theater. While the pilot has onboard sensors downloading, processing and providing a lot of information during the flight, their systems have limited range.
- US Military Develops Intl Maritime Operation to Boost Security in Mideast Waterways - CENTCOM Sputnik 20 Jul 2019 -- The United States military is developing an intentional maritime framework dubbed Operation Sentinel to enhance security in the Arabian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz, the Bab el-Mandeb Strait and the Gulf of Oman, the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) said in a statement.
- King Salman OK's deployment of 500 US troops in Saudi Arabia Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- Saudi King Salman has approved hosting of hundreds of US troops in the kingdom amid rising tensions in the region between the United States and Iran.
- Saudis Approve Hosting U.S. Troops Amid Rising Tensions With Iran RFE/RL 20 Jul 2019 -- Saudi Arabia's King Salman has approved the hosting of U.S. troops for the first time since Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein was toppled in 2003, as the two allies bolster cooperation amid rising tensions with Iran.
- KSA, USA Joint Exercise Enthusiastic Commander 2019, Continue SPA 20 Jul 2019 -- Royal Land Forces units of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) and the United States of America (USA) forces, continue to implement the joint training of the "enthusiastic commander 2019", which will continue, all through this month, at King Khalid Military City, in the Northern Region.
- US Secretary of Defence Authorizes Military Personnel, Resource Deployment to Saudi Arabia Sputnik 20 Jul 2019 -- Earlier in the day, Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud reportedly approved hosting of US troops in the kingdom in a bid to enhance security in the region.
- Saudi Arabia and the United States Strengthen their longstanding partnership in Face of Regional Threats SPA 20 Jul 2019 -- An official in the Saudi Ministry of Defense stated that based on the efforts to strengthen regional security and stability, and based on the joint cooperation between the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the United States of America; His Majesty King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud, the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, has approved hosting US Armed Forces in the Kingdom to increase joint cooperation in defense of regional security and stability and to preserve its peace.
- Saudi King Approves Hosting US Troops to Enhance Regional Security Sputnik 20 Jul 2019 -- Earlier it was reported that five hundred US troops were slated to be deployed to the Prince Sultan Air Base, located to the east of the country's capital of Riyadh, becoming reinforcements to US military and support personnel already on the site.
- Russia deploys, test fires new air defense missiles in Arctic region Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- The Russian Navy has reportedly deployed and test-fired its new Tor-M2DT air defense missiles, designed to cope with the freezing temperatures of the country's Arctic region.
- North Korea continues to develop nukes, missiles, US commander claims Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- A top US military commander has claimed that North Korea continues to develop nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles even though it has stopped testing them.
- U.S. Expresses 'Disapointment' Over Turkey's S-400 Purchase RFE/RL 20 Jul 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has expressed "the United States' disappointment" in a phone call with Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu over Ankara's purchase of a Russian missile-defense system, the State Department says.
- US Blames Beijing for Bullying Other Claimants to South China Sea Energy Resources Sputnik 20 Jul 2019 -- The United States is concerned about reports of Beijing's "bullying" in the South China Sea where it prevents other countries from drilling for oil and gas, State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said Saturday.
- Chinese Coercion on Oil and Gas Activity in the South China Sea US Dept. of State 20 Jul 2019 -- "The United States is concerned by reports of China's interference with oil and gas activities in the South China Sea (SCS), including Vietnam's long-standing exploration and production activities. China's repeated provocative actions aimed at the offshore oil and gas development of other claimant states threaten regional energy security and undermine the free and open Indo-Pacific energy market."
- Yemenis launch retaliatory drone attacks on Saudi air base Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- Yemeni armed forces have conducted drone strikes on King Khalid air base in Saudi Arabia's southwestern Asir Province in retaliation for the kingdom's massive bombing of Sana'a early Saturday.
- Saudi-Led Coalition Launches Offensive Targeting Military Positions in Yemen - Reports Sputnik 20 Jul 2019 -- The Saudi-led coalition said it had launched an offensive to target military positions in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa, Reuters reported Saturday, citing local media.
- Saudi Coalition Says it Destroyed Houthi Ballistic Missiles Around Yemeni Capital VOA 20 Jul 2019 -- Saudi-coalition spokesman Col. Turki al Maliki says that coalition fighter jets took out at least five Houthi air defense sites around the Yemeni capital, Sana'a, early Saturday. Amateur video showed a number of explosions rocking Sanaa, overnight.
- Iraqi forces begin 2nd phase of operation against Daesh sleeper cells Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- Iraqi military forces have launched the second phase of a major operation to hunt down the remnants of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group north of the capital Baghdad and surrounding areas.
- Iraqi PM orders investigation into drone attack on Hashd Sha'abi camp Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi has ordered a probe into an attack by an unmanned aircraft on a base belonging to fighters from pro-government Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), better known by the Arabic name Hashd al-Sha'abi, in Salahuddin Province.
- Turkish forces 'neutralize' several terrorists in eastern Turkey: Defense Ministry Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- Turkish security forces have "neutralized" several terrorists, mostly those of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group, during a counter-terrorism operation in the country's Kurdish-populated eastern province of Tunceli.
- Switzerland Says It Is Mediating Talks as Cameroon's Separatist Crisis Deepens VOA 20 Jul 2019 -- Switzerland has officially said it is helping the government of Cameroon negotiate with rebels to end the separatist crisis that has killed more than 2,000 people in Cameroon. The Swiss ambassador to Cameroon, Pietro Lazzeri, spoke in Yaounde about attempting reconciliation after more than 20 people were killed within two days of fighting in the crisis-stricken regions.
- Thousands Rally In Moscow For Barred Opposition City-Council Candidates RFE/RL 20 Jul 2019 -- More than 10,000 people, including prominent opposition politicians, have gathered in Moscow to demand free and fair local polls, an NGO that tracks participation in protest rallies says.
- North Korea accuses Japan of destroying peace amid trade spat with South Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- North Korea has denounced Japan's decision to impose US-like trade restrictions against South Korea over a wartime dispute, calling the move a threat to "the trend of peace" on the Korean peninsula.
- Foreign Secretary statement on Iranian actions in the Strait of Hormuz UK FCO 20 Jul 2019 -- The Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt spoke to media after a Ministerial COBR meeting on 20 July on the Iranian actions in the Strait of Hormuz.
- Global Tensions Mount Over Iran's Seizure of British Oil Tanker VOA 20 Jul 2019 -- Global tensions continue to mount over Iran's seizure of a British-flagged oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz, with Britain issuing a stern warning to Tehran and the Islamic Republic maintaining the seizure was a "reciprocal" move.
- Britain says to seek diplomatic way but warns of consequences after Iran's tanker seizure Global Times 20 Jul 2019 -- British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt warned late Friday that serious consequences would ensue if Iran's seizure of a British-operated oil tanker is not resolved quickly.
- IRGC: British tanker escorted by British warship IRNA 20 Jul 2019 -- Spokesman for the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) said that Iran is acting decisively in the application of the law and national sovereignty in the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz, and underscored that the British tanker that was escorted by a British warship was stopped by the determination and speed of the Iranian forces and was led to the coastal harbor for legal investigations and necessary measures.
- Zarif terms US economic terrorism as int'l menace IRNA 20 Jul 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in a message described the "US economic terrorism" as a threat to the world.
- Iran starts investigations on UK tanker's violations IRNA 20 Jul 2019 -- Managing Director of Hormuzgan Ports and Maritime said expert investigations have been started to review the UK tanker Stena Impero violation of international maritime regulations.
- US making false sense of security for allies: Zarif IRNA 20 Jul 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Javad Zarif said that problems of the Middle East are rooted in the false sense of security that the US is making for its allies.
- Zarif: US, UK renegade on JCPOA discredits principle of settlement of disputes IRNA 20 Jul 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said that renegade of the US and the UK on the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action endorsed by the UN Security Council Resolution 2231 discredited the principle of settlement of international disputes.
- Shamkhani: Bolton's remarks about enrichment example of US renegade on JCPOA IRNA 20 Jul 2019 -- Secretary of Supreme National Security Council Ali Shanmkhani said on Saturday that remarks made by US national security adviser John Bolton about Iran's uranium enrichment is example of Washington's renegade on the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
- Iran: UK oil tanker seized for violating Int'l Law of Sea IRNA 20 Jul 2019 -- A senior Iranian Ports and Maritime Department official said on Saturday that the UK oil tanker, Stena Impero, was seized for violation of the International Law of the Sea and ignoring the principle of passage without damage to the environment.
- Drone landed safely with pictures from USS Boxer IRNA 20 Jul 2019 -- Drone landed safely with pictures taken from the USS Boxer warship, the Navy of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps said on Saturday.
- Don't play with Iran: Zarif ISNA 20 Jul 2019 -- Iran's Minister of Foreign Affairs Mohammad Javad Zarif told the New Yorker that Iran will survive long after US President Donald Trump is gone and warned against "playing with Iran".
- US brings insecurity to anywhere it goes: Zarif ISNA 20 Jul 2019 -- Iran's Minister of Foreign Affairs Mohammad Javad Zarif who arrived in Caracas on Saturday said, US brings insecurity and instability to anywhere it sets foot.
- Statement by the NATO Spokesperson on the seizure of two ships in the Strait of Hormuz NATO 20 Jul 2019
- US modern adventurism threatening global peace: Zarif Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has slammed the United States for what he has termed as its "modern wave of adventurism," saying the policy is a serious threat to the global peace.
- Saudi Arabia releases Iranian oil tanker held in Jeddah port: Report Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- An Iranian oil tanker, held by Saudi Arabia two months ago, has reportedly been released and is returning home with the entire crew.
- Iran releases footage of seized UK-flagged oil tanker in Strait of Hormuz Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- Iran has released footage of a British-flagged oil tanker which was impounded in the Strait of Hormuz after it ignored distress calls.
- Iran's seizure of UK tanker aimed at upholding intl. maritime rules: Zarif Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has defended Iran's recent measure to confiscate a British-flagged oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz, saying the move aimed to "uphold international maritime rules."
- Foreign Minister Zarif warns US to 'not play with Iran' Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- Amid heightening tensions in the Persian Gulf, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has slammed Washington's global presence as a cause of "insecurity and instability".
- UK tanker hit Iranian boat, ignored its distress call before capture: Iran Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- Iranian authorities say the British oil tanker seized in the Strait of Hormuz was involved in an accident with an Iranian fishing boat and ignored its distress call before capture.
- Mohajer-4: Iranian drone which filmed USS Boxer Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- Surveillance images released by the Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) dismissing Washington's claims of downing an Iranian drone over the Strait of Hormuz indicate that the drone in question was a Mohajer-4 surveillance aircraft.
- Brazil says warned local firms about US sanctions on Iran Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- Eyeing closer ties with the US, Brazil says it has alerted local firms about possible consequences if they do not comply with unilateral American sanctions against Iran.
- Iran's Zarif says US will get nowhere with its excessive demands Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the United States "will get nowhere with its excessive demands" from Tehran, stressing that the Islamic Republic's landmark 2015 nuclear deal, formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), has been "a rational agreement."
- Europe's Outcry Mounts Over Iran's Tanker Seizure, U.K. Stresses 'Desire To Deescalate' RFE/RL 20 Jul 2019 -- The U.K. government's emergency security committee has "reaffirmed" a "desire to de-escalate" but insisted Iran's military acted illegally when it seized a U.K.-flagged tanker in the Strait of Hormuz a day earlier, according to British Foreign Minister Jeremy Hunt.
- EU Express Concern over Iranian Detention of two Ships, in the Gulf SPA 20 Jul 2019 -- The European Union (EU) confirmed here today that the seizure of two vessels by the Iranian forces, in the Straits of Hormuz, establishes a source for deep concern.
- British Warship Tried to Stop Iran From Seizing UK-Flagged Tanker in Hormuz Strait - IRGC Sputnik 20 Jul 2019 -- Earlier, Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt accused Tehran of taking a "dangerous path of illegal and destabilising behaviour" following Friday's seizure of a UK-flagged tanker in the Strait of Hormuz by Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
- Iran Releases Video Allegedly Showing IRGC Rappelling onto UK Tanker's Deck from Helicopter Sputnik 20 Jul 2019 -- On Friday, a UK-flagged tanker was seized in the Strait of Hormuz by Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps after it allegedly violated international regulations. The UK condemned the move calling the act 'unacceptable'. The seizure comes amid UK-Iranian tensions that spiked after Britain seized an Iranian supertanker near Gibraltar.
- British Oil Tanker Stena Impero Detained by Iran, Taken to Port of Bandar Abbas - Reports Sputnik 20 Jul 2019 -- Earlier, Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said that they have confiscated a UK tanker in the Strait of Hormuz.
- UK tanker's tracker was off while passing Hormuz Strait: Military source IRNA 20 Jul 2019 -- UK oil tanker that was seized in the Strait of Hormuz had turned down its tracker and paved wrong way, said an informed military source.
- Pompeo's attacks on Xinjiang deplored People's Daily 20 Jul 2019 -- Scholars and religious personnel in Xinjiang deplored US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's recent accusations and attacks against China's Xinjiang policy by signing a joint statement.
- US interfering in China's internal affairs in name of freedom of religious thoughts: Beijing Press TV 20 Jul 2019 -- China has blasted as "hideous and hypocritical" the United States' interference in its internal affairs in the name of "freedom of religious thoughts," calling on Washington to respect facts instead of vilifying Beijing's human rights record.
- Pro-independence Formosa Alliance forms political party CNA 20 Jul 2019 -- The pro-independence Formosa Alliance formed a political party on Saturday, saying that it hoped to field at least 10 candidates in the legislative election next January and give independence-leaning voters an alternative to the current ruling party.
- Taiwan will not succumb to pressure: President Tsai CNA 20 Jul 2019 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Friday told a large gathering of Taiwanese expatriates in Denver that Taiwan will not succumb to pressure and will continue to safeguard its freedom, democracy and sovereignty.
- Pakistan's Restive Tribal Region Holds First Local Elections RFE/RL 20 Jul 2019 -- Polls have closed in Pakistan's first-ever provincial elections in the northwestern tribal areas, a region along the Afghan border that was once controlled by Islamist militant groups.
- Pakistan Holds Historic Vote in Former 'Epicenter' of Terror VOA 20 Jul 2019 -- Pakistan organized its first ever provincial elections Saturday in a northwestern region along the mountainous border with Afghanistan that until a few years ago was condemned as the "epicenter" of international terrorism.
- One Small Step For Hollywood? In Russia, Denying Moon Landings May Be Matter Of National Pride RFE/RL 19 Jul 2019 -- In October 2015, Russian blogger and space enthusiast Vitaly Yegorov began crowdfunding for an ambitious project.
- US Vice President Mike Pence Unveils Artemis 1 Lunar Mission Spacecraft Sputnik 20 Jul 2019 -- Vice President Mike Pence visited and gave remarks at the Neil Armstrong Operations and Checkout Building at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida on the 50th anniversary of humanity's first visit to the moon.
- Remarks by Vice President Pence Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing | Kennedy Space Center, FL The White House 20 Jul 2019
- Flexible Stagnation: How Lukashenka Has Held On To Power For 25 Years In Belarus RFE/RL 20 Jul 2019 -- In 1994, the last Russian troops left Germany and the Baltic states, bringing a symbolic end to the Cold War. The same year saw the Rwandan genocide, and American entrepreneur Jeff Bezos launched an online bookseller called Amazon.
- Renewal Or 'Revanche'? Buzzwords Of Ukraine's Parliamentary Elections Forecast Tension Following Vote RFE/RL 20 Jul 2019 -- Riding the wave of public anger over corruption, war, and low living standards that swept political newcomer Volodymyr Zelenskiy into the presidency in April, his Servant of the People party looks set to win by far the most parliament seats in the snap elections he scheduled for July 21.
- Nearly 2 Million Cyclone Survivors in Mozambique at Risk of Severe Food Shortages VOA 20 Jul 2019 -- The World Food Program warns 1.9 million Mozambicans battered by two devastating cyclones earlier this year are at risk of severe food shortages without urgent international assistance.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|