13 July 2019 Military News
- US Soldier Killed 'in Action,' Taliban Attack Afghan Police Base VOA 13 Jul 2019 -- The NATO-led security alliance in Afghanistan says an American soldier was killed "in action" Saturday, which brings to 11 the number of deaths among the U.S. military this year in the Afghanistan.
- Taliban militants storm hotel in northwestern Afghanistan, kill at least 8 people Press TV 13 Jul 2019 -- Members of the Taliban militant group have bomb attacked a hotel in Afghanistan's northwestern province of Badghis, killing at least eight people and wounding nearly a dozen more, officials say.
- US soldier killed in Afghanistan amid Washington's 'peace talks' with Taliban Press TV 13 Jul 2019 -- A US military officer has been killed in Afghanistan, the NATO military alliance's so-called Resolute Support (RS) mission in the country has announced without spilling more details.
- U.S., Russia, China, Pakistan Urge Taliban To Agree To Cease-Fire, Negotiations With Kabul RFE/RL 13 Jul 2019 -- The United States, Russia, China, and Pakistan have called on the Taliban to immediately agree to a cease-fire and to direct negotiations with the Afghan government.
- Taliban Attacks Hotel In Northwestern Afghanistan, Killing At Least Three RFE/RL 13 Jul 2019 -- Taliban militants have attacked a hotel in northwestern Afghanistan, killing at least three police officers.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US House Passes Defense Bill With Amendment That Prevents Trump From Waging War on Iran Sputnik 13 Jul 2019 -- The US House of Representatives on Friday passed a version of the National Defen?e Authorization Act (NDAA) which includes an amendment that will prevent the Trump administration from waging war on Iran unless it is acting in self-defence.
- Macron Declares That French Space Command is in the Works Sputnik 13 Jul 2019 -- The new space initiative is expected to help France better ensure the safety of its satellites.
- Taiwan rejects China's sanction threat over U.S. arms deal CNA 13 Jul 2019 -- Taiwan will not accept China's arrogant and suppressive remarks, Presidential Office spokesman Ting Yun-kung (丁允恭) said Friday in response to Beijing's threat to impose sanctions on American companies that will participate in a recently announced arms sale to Taiwan.
- Turkey gets fresh S-400 shipment as US mulls sanctions Press TV 13 Jul 2019 -- Turkey says a fresh shipment of Russian S-400 missile defense systems has arrived in the country, a day after it received the first batch of the systems.
- US assured no change in Turkey's strategic orientation amid S-400 delivery Press TV 13 Jul 2019 -- Turkey has assured the US that its acquisition of the Russian-made S-400 missile defense system does not in any way mean a change of the country's "strategic orientation".
- U.S., Turkey Move Closer To Full-Blown Crisis After S-400 Deliveries Begin RFE/RL 13 Jul 2019 -- The United States moved closer to a full-blown crisis with fellow NATO member Turkey after Ankara said the first parts of the S-400 Russian missile defense systems had been delivered on July 12 and that more deliveries will follow.
- Washington Plans to Announce Sanctions Against Turkey Over S-400 Delivery Next Week - Reports Sputnik 13 Jul 2019 -- Previously, the US threatened to exclude Turkey from its F-35 programme over its decision to buy Russia's S-400 missile systems, saying that they could compromise US-made aircraft.
- Another Batch of Russian S-400 Air Defense System Components Arrives in Turkey Sputnik 13 Jul 2019 -- A Russian aircraft delivered on Saturday another batch of Russian S-400 air defence system components to a Turkish air base, according to the NTV broadcaster.
- UN Calls for Dismissal of Politically Motivated Death Sentences in Yemen VOA 13 Jul 2019 -- The UN Human Rights Office is calling on Yemen's Appellate Court to dismiss the death sentences handed down on 30 people earlier this week by the Houthi authorities in the capital Sana'a.
- Iranian-backed Houthis Sentencing 30 Political Prisoners To Death in Yemen US Dept. of State 13 Jul 2019
- Assad, Russian diplomats discuss Syria constitutional committee Press TV 13 Jul 2019 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has discussed with two Russian diplomats the formation of a constitutional committee as the war against the foreign-backed terrorists is winding down in the Arab country.
- Nasrallah says all of Israel is within range of Hezbollah's missiles Press TV 13 Jul 2019 -- The secretary general of the Lebanese Hezbollah resistance movement says all of Israel is within the range of the missiles of the group, adding that the resistance movement is stronger than ever despite Western sanctions.
- Hizballah Leaders Claims U.S. Seeks Talks With Iran-Backed Movement RFE/RL 13 Jul 2019 -- Hassan Nasrallah, the leader of Lebanon's Iran-backed Hizballah movement, says the United States has been attempting to open communications with his group despite imposing new sanctions against its leaders.
- Somalia Hotel Attack Kills 33 VOA 13 Jul 2019 -- Authorities in Somalia say the death toll from Friday's attack on a hotel in the southern Somali port city of Kismayo has climbed to 33.
- UN chief condemns terror attack in Kismayo, Somalia UN News 13 Jul 2019 -- UN Secretary-General António Guterres has condemned the terrorist attack that took place on July 12 in southern Somalia.
- US sabotaging Venezuelan dialogue to push for military intervention: Envoy Press TV 13 Jul 2019 -- Venezuelan Ambassador to the United Nations Samuel Moncada has accused the United States of pushing for military intervention in the Latin American country by undermining ongoing negotiations between Caracas and the opposition.
- High-Level Defector Suggests North Korea Employs State-Sponsored Schemes to Elude Sanctions VOA 13 Jul 2019 -- A high-level North Korean defector who delivered millions of dollars to Pyongyang's elite as a trusted, overseas trader, suggests the Kim regime is employing state-sponsored strategies to elude international sanctions on oil needed to maintain its military and economy.
- Foreign Secretary calls Chief Minister of Gibraltar, Iranian Foreign Minister UK FCO 13 Jul 2019 -- The Foreign Secretary spoke to the Chief Minister of Gibraltar and the Iranian Foreign Minister to discuss the recent detention of the Grace 1.
- Iran to sell oil under any condition: FM Zarif IRNA 13 Jul 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif told his British counterpart that Tehran will continue selling oil no matter what the conditions are.
- Iran installs super-size drilling rig at South Pars gas field Press TV 13 Jul 2019 -- Iran has finished installing a super-size drilling rig at South Pars gas field, the largest in the world which the country shares with Qatar.
- UK must help immediate release of Iran tanker: Zarif Press TV 13 Jul 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has called on Britain to accelerate efforts meant to release an Iranian oil tanker held in the British overseas territory of Gibraltar since earlier this month.
- Detained crew of Iranian supertanker released on bail, ship remains impounded Press TV 13 Jul 2019 -- Royal Gibraltar Police have announced that the arrested crew members of supertanker, which carried Iranian crude oil, have been released.
- Gibraltar Police Say Four Crew Of Seized Iranian Tanker Freed On Bail RFE/RL 13 Jul 2019 -- Police in Gibraltar say all four arrested crew members of the Iranian oil tanker seized on suspicion of carrying oil to Syria in violation of European Union sanctions have been freed on bail.
- Refuting 22 Western nations, 37 governments laud China's human rights achievements Global Times 13 Jul 2019 -- Government of 37 countries, including Russia, Pakistan, Nigeria, Egypt, Belarus, Saudi Arabia, the Philippines and UAE, said they support China's human rights records, and China's policies of resolutely fighting terrorism and extremism in its northwestern Xinjiang region.
- Hong Kong Protests Erupt Near China's Border VOA 13 Jul 2019 -- Thousands of protesters in Hong Kong turned out Saturday to demonstrate against traders from mainland China.
- China announces controlled deorbit plan for Tiangong-2 Global Times 13 Jul 2019 -- China Manned Space Engineering Office (CMSEO) on Saturday announced its plan to deorbit Tiangong-2 space lab in the near future. The controlled re-entry in the atmosphere after successfully completing experiments and tasks on time, marks solid technical progress for further development of manned space, according to an expert.
- China's Tiangong-2 space lab to re-enter atmosphere under control Global Times 13 Jul 2019 -- China's Tiangong-2 space lab is planned to be controlled to leave orbit and re-enter the atmosphere on July 19 (Beijing time), China Manned Space Engineering Office (CMSEO) announced on Saturday.
- Russia Successfully Launches Next-Generation Space Telescope RFE/RL 13 Jul 2019 -- A Russian Proton-M rocket has successfully launched a new cutting-edge space-based telescope after several days of launch delays.
- Proton-M carrier Rocket Launches Spektr-RG Orbital Observatory Sputnik 13 Jul 2019 -- The Russian Proton-M carrier rocket with the Spektr-RG space observatory on board has successfully blasted off the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on Saturday after the launch had been delayed on two occasions, Russian state space corporation Roscosmos said.
- In Moldova Visit, U.S. Diplomat Expresses Support For New Government RFE/RL 13 Jul 2019 -- U.S. Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs David Hale congratulated Moldova's new prime minister, Maia Sandu, and expressed U.S. support for her government during a July 13 meeting in the Moldovan capital.
- UN: Nicaragua Continues to Repress and Harass Opponents VOA 13 Jul 2019 -- A report submitted to the UN human rights council this week accuses Nicaragua of continuing to repress, threaten and harass human rights defenders and other opponents one year after the government's violent crackdown on nationwide demonstrations.
- Brazil's Bolsonaro mulling son for US ambassador Press TV 13 Jul 2019 -- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has confirmed that he is weighing nominating his son, a federal congressman, to become the Latin American country's ambassador to the US as he seeks to strengthen ties with the administration in Washington.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|