09 July 2019 Military News
- Taliban, Afghan Delegates Agree On Road Map To Peace -- But Texts Differ RFE/RL 09 Jul 2019 -- The Taliban and a delegation representing Afghan society have agreed at talks in Qatar upon a road map for a future political settlement in what is seen as a major step toward ending Afghanistan's nearly 18-year war.
- At Least 20 Afghan Troops Killed in Taliban Attack in Kunduz Province - Source Sputnik 09 Jul 2019 -- At least 20 Afghan Armed Forces' servicemen have been killed in an attack by Taliban militants in the northern province of Kunduz as heavy fighting continues to rage despite the intra-Afghan talks being held in Qatar, a local source said.
- Bring Civilian Casualties to Zero, Demand Afghans, Including Taliban VOA 09 Jul 2019 -- A delegation of more than 50 Afghans concluded a high-profile conference with the Taliban Monday with a joint statement emphasizing the need to bring civilian casualties in the nation's civil war to zero and reaching a positive outcome in the on-going negotiations between the Taliban and the United States in Doha.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Department Of Defense Press Briefing on the Secretary of Defense Nomination Process DoD 09 Jul 2019-- Eric Chewning, Chief Of Staff to the Acting Secretary of Defense; Two Senior Defense Officials
- Thunderbolt Brigade reunites in the field for annual training Army News 09 Jul 2019 -- Pvt. Adrian Manginsay aimed an AT4 tube from his shoulder and fired a high velocity anti-tank round, which shot across the range and exploded into the hulk of a wrecked tank. The loud back blast and direct hit caused his fellow Soldiers to whoop and cheer.
- Guard deployed to help after California rocked by quakes Army News 09 Jul 2019 -- Two major earthquakes that hit towns in the Mojave Desert of California July 4 and 5 left behind cracked and burning buildings, closed highway and burst water lines that prompted call-up of the National Guard to help distribute water and food.
- Widespread Obesity Makes Trump's Military Recruitment Goals a Challenge VOA 09 Jul 2019 -- As he reveled in the huge display of military might during last week's Independence Day celebration on the National Mall, U.S. President Donald Trump encouraged Americans to enlist in the military.
- Army Reserve small arms trainer course launched at Fort McCoy Army News 09 Jul 2019 -- In keeping with Chief of Army Reserve Lt. Gen. Charles D. Luckey's vision to shape the U.S. Army Reserve into a more lethal, capable and combat-ready force, the 84th Training Command's Task Force Cold Steel has developed a new weapons proficiency course here.
- Readout of Acting Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper's Meeting with Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani DoD 09 Jul 2019
- USS Carney Departs Odesa, Ukraine NNS 09 Jul 2019 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Carney (DDG 64) departed Odesa, Ukraine, July 9, 2019, after completing a scheduled port visit as part of exercise Sea Breeze 2019.
- US 4th Fleet & Partner Nations Complete the Pacific Phase of UNITAS LX NNS 09 Jul 2019 -- Since arriving in Chile, more than 1,700 personnel from 13 nations have collaborated and participated in UNITAS, the world's longest running multinational maritime exercise, from June 24 – July 3.
- U.S. & Chilean Navies Partner for Teamwork South 2019 NNS 09 Jul 2019 -- U.S. Naval Forces Southern Command/U.S. 4th Fleet (USNAVSO/FOURTHFLT) and Chilean maritime forces partner for exercise Teamwork South 2019 off the Chilean coast July 5.
- Thirteen Nations Complete the Pacific Phase of UNITAS LX NNS 09 Jul 2019 -- Since arriving in Chile, more than 1,700 personnel from 13 nations have collaborated and participated in UNITAS, the world's longest running multinational maritime exercise, from June 24 – July 3.
- Pentagon Seeks Virtual Reality Platform to Prepare Troops for 'Radiological Threats' Sputnik 09 Jul 2019 -- The Defense Threat Reduction Agency, an arm of the US Department of Defense focused on countering weapons of mass destruction, recently issued a solicitation seeking information regarding a potential virtual reality platform that could train and prepare service members for nuclear and radiological threats.
- US Moves Reaper Drone Squadron From Poland to Romania, Buttressing NATO Intel in Black Sea Sputnik 09 Jul 2019 -- A US Air Force squadron of MQ-9 Reaper drones has temporarily relocated to Romania. It's the latest shifting of NATO intelligence equipment to the Black Sea region.
- Exercise Pac Angel 19-1 wraps up in Bangladesh US Air Force 09 Jul 2019 -- More than 50 U.S. military personnel, alongside service members from Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand, conducted several humanitarian assistance events throughout Lalmonirhat during exercise Pacific Angel 19-1, June 22-28, 2019.
- UK Unveils $162Mln Plan to Build Cutting-Edge Laser, Radio Weapons Sputnik 09 Jul 2019 -- The UK Defence Ministry said Tuesday it was developing $162 million worth of cutting-edge electric-powered lasers and radiofrequency weapons for its army, navy and air force.
- MOD to develop cutting-edge laser and radio frequency weapons UK MOD 09 Jul 2019 -- The Ministry of Defence is developing cutting-edge laser and radio frequency weapons which have the potential to revolutionise the battlefield.
- US: Taiwan Arms Sale to Promote Peace, No Change on 'One China' Policy VOA 09 Jul 2019 -- The United States said Tuesday that its arms sale to Taiwan is aimed at promoting "peace and stability" in the Asia Pacific region and Washington is not changing its "One China" policy.
- Taiwan expresses gratitude after U.S approves arms sales CNA 09 Jul 2019 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文), as well as the national defense and foreign affairs ministries, on Tuesday thanked the U.S. government after it approved a new arms sale package to Taiwan.
- U.S. government approves sale of tanks, missiles to Taiwan CNA 09 Jul 2019 -- The U.S. Department of State has approved the sale of a package of weapons to Taiwan worth US$2.2 billion that includes M1A2T Abrams tanks and Stinger missiles.
- Taiwan arms sale slammed Global Times 09 Jul 2019 -- The latest US approval of arms sales to the island of Taiwan will hurt delicate China-US relations at a sensitive time when China and the US are to resume trade talks, and Taiwan secessionists should know that they are only being used as a card by the US, Chinese experts warned Tuesday.
- US needs to 'immediately cancel' arms sale to Taiwan: China Press TV 09 Jul 2019 -- China has called on the United States to "immediately cancel" a major potential arms sale to Taiwan, which Beijing considers as a serious violation of its sovereignty over the self-ruled island.
- US approves $2.2 billion arms sale to Taiwan amid tensions with China Press TV 09 Jul 2019 -- The US has approved sale of $2.2 billion worth of arms to Taiwan, including 108 M1A2T Abrams tanks, in the wake of Washington- Beijing trade tensions.
- China Lodges Protest With US as Washington Approves Arms Sales to Taiwan - Beijing Sputnik 09 Jul 2019 -- China has lodged a protest with and made a diplomatic representation to the United States over the latter's approval of arms sales to Taiwan, which China sees as its rebel province, the Chinese Foreign Ministry's spokesman, Geng Shuang, said on Tuesday.
- Washington Approves $2.2Bln Sale of Tanks, Stinger Missiles to Taiwan Sputnik 09 Jul 2019 -- The US Department of State has signed off on Taiwan's request to purchase more than 100 M1A2T Abrams tanks and a long list of related equipment, including Stinger missiles, in a deal valued at more than $2 billion, the Defence Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) said in a press release on Monday.
- China to deepen military cooperation with Caribbean countries, Pacific island countries: defense minister People's Daily 09 Jul 2019 -- Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister Wei Fenghe on Monday said China is willing to deepen military exchanges and cooperation with the Caribbean countries and Pacific island countries under the framework of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
- New stealth jet project moving ahead on pace People's Daily 09 Jul 2019 -- China's development of the FC-31, the country's second stealth fighter jet, is proceeding smoothly and on schedule, according to its chief designer.
- Mysterious Flying Wing Drone Makes Second Appearance in Chinese Promotional Video Sputnik 09 Jul 2019 -- China's oldest airplane maker just gave observers a glimpse at its new stealth drone, which sports a flying wing design and operates from an aircraft carrier.
- Ukraine to Buy More US Weapons Via Foreign Military Sales Program Sputnik 09 Jul 2019 -- The US is set to supply Kiev with new weapons, including two coast guard cutters, in a bid to bolster the country's military, a US diplomat in Ukraine announced Sunday.
- Russia Expects India's Advance Payment for S-400 by End of 2019 Sputnik 09 Jul 2019 -- Russia is hoping to receive an advance payment for S-400 air defence systems from India by the end of 2019 so that the deliveries may begin in 2020 and be completed by 2025, Deputy Director of the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation (FSMTC) Vladimir Drozhzhov told reporters.
- Iran won't be defeated in any war on the ground: IRGC chief Press TV 09 Jul 2019 -- The chief commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says the Iranian Armed Forces' ground defenses have achieved notable progress, saying the country is today strong enough to defeat the enemies in any war on the ground against the Islamic Republic.
- Tehran Warns US That American Bases Are 'Within the Range' of Iranian Missiles Sputnik 09 Jul 2019 -- On Tuesday, Iran's Minister of Cultural and Social Affairs Hossein Nejat warned that Iran could obliterate US aircraft carriers in the Gulf if the US attacks Iran, further increasing tensions between the two countries.
- Netanyahu Warns Iran It is Within Range of Israeli Warplanes Sputnik 09 Jul 2019 -- This comes after Iranian MP Mojtaba Zolnour warned last week that if the US attacks Iran, "only half an hour will remain of Israel's lifespan".
- Joint Statement from the President of the United States Donald J. Trump and His Highness Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al-Thani, Amir of the State of Qatar The White House 09 Jul 2019
- Remarks by President Trump and Amir Al Thani of the State of Qatar Before Bilateral Meeting The White House 09 Jul 2019
- Department Press Briefing – July 9, 2019 US Dept. of State 09 Jul 2019
- 9 July 2019 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 09 Jul 2019
- UAE Redeploys Forces and Equipment Across Parts of Yemen VOA 09 Jul 2019 -- Reports from an unnamed United Arab Emirates (UAE) official said Abu Dhabi is redeploying some of its forces inside Yemen as part of a strategy to pursue dialogue.
- Houthis demand complete withdrawal of Saudi-led coalition from Yemen Press TV 09 Jul 2019 -- Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement has called for the full withdrawal of the Saudi-led military coalition from the conflict-ridden Arab country, after the United Arab Emirates (UAE), a key part of that alliance, said it was going ahead with plans to reduce the number of troops in Yemen.
- Suspected cholera cases in Yemen soar to 460,000: UN Press TV 09 Jul 2019 -- The United Nations says war-torn Yemen has seen a sharp rise in the number of suspected cholera cases, as more than 460,000 cases have been recorded so far this year, compared to 380,000 cases for all of 2018.
- US-led coalition should address harm to civilians during Syria operations: Human Rights Watch Press TV 09 Jul 2019 -- Human Rights Watch (HRW) has called upon the US-led coalition purportedly fighting the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group should address the harm to civilians during military operations in war-torn Syria.
- Tusk: 'Political Settlement' Only Solution To Karabakh Conflict RFE/RL 09 Jul 2019 -- European Council President Donald Tusk says the European Union believes the only way to resolve a decades-old dispute between Baku and Yerevan over Azerbaijan's breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh is through "a political settlement in accordance with international and principles."
- Indian Minister: After Dogfight With Pakistan, Infiltration Declined by Nearly Half Sputnik 09 Jul 2019 -- Proclaiming the zero-tolerance policy adopted to stabilise the disputed Kashmir region, the Indian government on Tuesday claimed that infiltration from across the border has been reduced by 43 per cent after the Balakot strike on 26 February.
- 'Brutal weather' continues as Rohingya refugee children endure devastating rainfall in Bangladesh UN News 09 Jul 2019 -- Heavy flooding and landslides in the Rohingya refugee camps of Cox's Bazar in Bangladesh, has left thousands of children and families in an increasingly dire situation with critical infrastructure damaged or destroyed, the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) warned on Tuesday, while scaling up relief efforts to those vulnerable children.
- Turkish Drilling in Cypriot Claimed Waters US Dept. of State 09 Jul 2019
- South Sudan Marks Anniversary With Hunger Still a Pressing Issue VOA 09 Jul 2019 -- Eight years after South Sudan's independence, hunger continues to plague the world's youngest nation. A recent United Nations report shows nearly half the population – 6.1 million people – are facing some degree of food insecurity.
- US Homeland Security Department Requests 1,000 Additional Troops for Mexico Border - Reports Sputnik 09 Jul 2019 -- The US Department of Homeland Security has asked the Defence Department to provide 1,000 additional troops from the Texas National Guard to support the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency on the border with Mexico, CNN reported, citing a Pentagon spokesperson.
- British Red-Faced Over Leaked Cables Criticizing Trump VOA 09 Jul 2019 -- Theresa May says Britain's beleaguered ambassador in Washington still enjoys her "full support" – despite U.S. President Donald Trump's excoriation of the envoy, Kim Darroch, whose leaked diplomatic cables describing the American leader as "inept and "incompetent" have left British officials writhing in embarrassment.
- Venezuela's Maduro 'optimistic' about talks with opposition Press TV 09 Jul 2019 -- Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro has expressed optimism about renewed negotiations between his government and the Venezuelan opposition in Barbados.
- Venezuela's Maduro Announces Start of Talks With Opposition in Barbados Sputnik 09 Jul 2019 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said the negotiations with the opposition had started on the eastern Caribbean island of Barbados.
- UN: Sudan Must Respect Human Rights to Achieve Peace and Stability VOA 09 Jul 2019 -- U.N. human rights experts say Sudan must end its horrific legacy of violence and abuse and respect the rights of its people if it wishes to achieve a peaceful and stable society.
- Putin Says He Opposes Call For Sanctions Against Georgia RFE/RL 09 Jul 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has rejected a parliamentary call to impose sanctions on Georgia, saying patching up strained relations was more important than reacting to provocations by "scumbags."
- Russia's President Opposes Duma Call for Georgia Sanctions VOA 09 Jul 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says he won't support a unanimously backed parliamentary resolution to sanction neighboring Georgia, maintaining that improved ties with the former Soviet republic outweigh any response to verbal taunts by what he termed "some scumbags."
- Former State Department Employee Sentenced for Conspiring with Chinese Agents US Dept. of Justice 09 Jul 2019 -- Candace Marie Claiborne, a former employee of the U.S. Department of State, was sentenced today to 40 months in prison, three years of supervised release and a fine of $40,000 for conspiracy to defraud the United States, by lying to law enforcement and background investigators, and hiding her extensive contacts with, and gifts from, agents of the People's Republic of China, in exchange for providing them with internal documents from the U.S. State Department.
- European Leaders Call for Urgent Meeting on Iran VOA 09 Jul 2019 -- European signatories of a nuclear deal with Iran are calling for an urgent meeting of all involved parties to discuss Tehran's compliance with the agreement.
- Iran to stick to its nuclear commitments as much as the Europeans do: Spokesman IRNA 09 Jul 2019 -- Government spokesman Ali Rabiei said on Tuesday that Iran will abide by its nuclear obligations as long as Europe sticks to its duties in order to enable Tehran to take advantage of its economic benefits.
- Iran sanctions not because of weapons, but science: IRGC Cmdr IRNA 09 Jul 2019 -- Economic sanctions on Iran are not because of military weapons; they are set to prevent Iran from progress in science, said the commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) in Mashhad on Tuesday.
- Iran to remain in JCPOA if other parties fulfill their commitments: Envoy IRNA 09 Jul 2019 -- Iran's ambassador to Belarus said on Monday that Tehran will remain in the nuclear deal if other parties abide by their obligations as well.
- Iran offers 3-year oil futures to 'powerful' buyers Press TV 09 Jul 2019 -- Iran has announced that it will allow oil futures contracts for certain international buyers as it seeks to offset the impacts of US sanctions on its supply to the global markets.
- Bolton, Netanyahu luring Trump into killing Iran deal: Zarif Press TV 09 Jul 2019 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the US national security advisor and Israel's prime minister are using the "delusion" of forcing Iran's uranium enrichment level to "zero" to encourage the US president to destroy a 2015 nuclear deal between Tehran and other countries.
- INSTEX: Will it work? Press TV 09 Jul 2019 -- As the United States continues rallying the world to uphold brutal international sanctions against the Islamic Republic in violation of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, or JCPOA, Europe is struggling to convince Iran to remain in the agreement through INSTEX (Instrument in Support of Trade Exchanges).
- The State Of The Deal: How The Numbers On Iran's Nuclear Program Stack Up RFE/RL 09 Jul 2019 -- When it comes to the state of the Iran nuclear deal, there are enough figures flying around to make your head spin like atoms in a first-generation gas centrifuge.
- European Powers Call On Iran To Reverse Nuclear Steps RFE/RL 09 Jul 2019 -- European parties to the 2015 Iranian nuclear deal have called on Tehran to reverse recent steps to enrich uranium at a higher purity than allowed under the agreement while also calling for an urgent meeting of all involved in the accord.
- UK Tanker Given Military Escort Amid Iran's Promise to Respond to Ship Seizure - Report Sputnik 09 Jul 2019 -- Tehran has vowed to take reciprocal steps after British authorities last week seized a tanker while it was passing Gibraltar under the pretext that it was carrying Iranian oil to Syria. London claims that it had the right to do so, as the tanker was allegedly violating the sanctions regime imposed by the EU on Damascus.
- UK's illegal seizure of Iranian oil tanker won't go unanswered: Top general Press TV 09 Jul 2019 -- Iran's top military commander warns that Britain's illegal seizure of an Iranian oil tanker in the Strait of Gibraltar will not go "unanswered."
- Hong Kong Leader Declares Controversial Extradition Bill 'Dead' VOA 09 Jul 2019 -- After several weeks of controversy and large, angry street protests, Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam says legislation that would have allowed extraditions to mainland China is "dead."
- Hong Kong's leader says extradition bill 'dead' Press TV 09 Jul 2019 -- Hong Kong's leader Carrie Lam says a proposed extradition bill that had caused a ruckus in the Chinese territory "is dead," effectively submitting to the will of its opponents.
- Extradition bill death elicits complex replies Global Times 09 Jul 2019 -- The extradition bill is dead, Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor said Tuesday, prompting some observers to urge protesters to end the violence and let the government fix the problem while others warned of the dangers to society of appeasing extremists.
- Hong Kong Chief Lam Says China Extradition Bill 'Dead' Sputnik 09 Jul 2019 -- Hong Kong chief Carrie Lam has said a controversial bill that would've allowed extradition to the Chinese mainland and that subsequently led to mass protests in the city is "dead".
- Threat from petty criminals who turn to terrorism, a growing concern, Security Council hears UN News 09 Jul 2019 -- The less predictable threats represented by small-time criminals who have opportunistically embraced terrorism, are a source of growing concern, the UN Security Council heard on Tuesday. That warning came from Tamara Makarenko, an International Consultant, who works with the UN Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI), speaking at an open debate on threats to international peace and security.
- Tunisia's Upcoming Elections Vulnerable to Terror Threats, Experts Warn VOA 09 Jul 2019 -- As an estimated 6.7 million Tunisian voters prepare to head to the polls to elect their next government later this year, a growing fear of terrorist attacks could risk undermining the democratic process in the North African country, some analysts warn.
- US Treasury imposes sanctions on two Hezbollah lawmakers Press TV 09 Jul 2019 -- The US Treasury Department has imposed sanctions on two Hezbollah members of Lebanon's parliament and a security official responsible for coordinating between the resistance movement and the country's security agencies.
- Sanctioning of Three Senior Hizballah Officials US Dept. of State 09 Jul 2019 -- The United States designated three senior Hizballah political and security officials today who leverage their positions to facilitate Hizballah and the Iranian regime's malign efforts to undermine Lebanese sovereignty.
- Treasury Targets Iranian-Backed Hizballah Officials for Exploiting Lebanon's Political and Financial System US Treasury 09 Jul 2019 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated key Hizballah political and security figures leveraging their privileged positions to facilitate Hizballah's malign agenda and do Iran's bidding. Specifically, OFAC designated Hizballah Members of Parliament Amin Sherri and Muhammad Hasan Ra'd, and Hizballah security official Wafiq Safa, for acting for or on behalf of Hizballah.
- Nigerian soldiers attack protesters demanding release of Sheikh Zakzaky Press TV 09 Jul 2019 -- Nigerian army troops have attacked a peaceful protest rally demanding the immediate release of the country's senior Muslim figure Sheikh Ibrahim al-Zakzaky, who has been held in detention along with his wife for more than three years.
- Kazakh Interior Minister Says Police Detained More Than 100 Protesters On July 6 RFE/RL 09 Jul 2019 -- Kazakhstan's interior minister says a total of 100 protesters were detained in the Central Asian country's two largest cities on July 6.
- Kyrgyz Ex-President Refuses To Obey Subpoena In Unspecified Investigation RFE/RL 09 Jul 2019 -- Former Kyrgyz President Almazbek Atambaev has refused to obey a subpoena calling for him to report to the Interior Ministry in Bishkek for questioning in an unspecified criminal investigation.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|