07 July 2019 Military News
- In a First, Afghan Government on Board With Taliban Talks VOA 07 Jul 2019 -- A 50-member delegation of Afghan elites is in Qatar for peace talks with Taliban leaders, with the hopes of ending the 18-year-long conflict in Afghanistan.
- Taliban bomb attack kills 12, wounds 50 in central Afghan province Press TV 07 Jul 2019 -- A car bomb attack by the Taliban militant group has killed at least a dozen people, including security forces and civilians, in the country's central province of Ghazni.
- US envoy lauds latest 'peace talks' with Taliban as 'most productive' so far Press TV 07 Jul 2019 -- US special envoy to "peace talks" with notorious Afghan Taliban terrorist group, Zalmay Khalilzad, has described the latest round of their negotiations in the Persian Gulf state of Qatar as the "most productive session" as both sides are set to reconvene the talks in two days.
- At Least 12 Dead In Afghan Suicide Bombing Claimed By Taliban RFE/RL 07 Jul 2019 -- The Taliban set off a car bomb in central Afghanistan killing 12 people and wounding 179 others just as representatives of the militant group were taking part in a two-day conference in Qatar aimed at bringing peace to the troubled central Asian nation.
- Nongovernment Afghan Delegates Meet Taliban In Qatar RFE/RL 07 Jul 2019 -- Dozens of Afghan delegates, including political figures, women, and other stakeholders, are attending an Intra-Afghan Dialogue Conference in Qatar involving negotiators from the Taliban.
- Deadly Car Bombing Hits Key Afghan Security Facility in Ghazni VOA 07 Jul 2019 -- Officials in Afghanistan say the Taliban has detonated a vehicle-borne bomb near the national spy agency's office in the central eastern Ghazni city.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Truman Gets Underway for Composite Training Unit Exercise NNS 07 Jul 2019 -- The Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group (HSTCSG) departed Naval Station Norfolk July 5 to participate in a scheduled composite training unit exercise (COMPTUEX) with Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 8 ships and squadrons.
- USS Montgomery Arrives in Singapore NNS 07 Jul 2019 -- The Independence-variant littoral combat ship USS Montgomery (LCS 8) arrived at Changi Naval Base in Singapore July 6 as part of a rotational deployment to the Indo-Pacific area of operations.
- US missile shield in Europe riddled with issues: Report Press TV 07 Jul 2019 -- The Aegis Ashore missile defense network, which the United States has deployed to Eastern Europe over the years, is only partially operational due to a host of issues from repeated delays to failed interceptor missile tests and problems with contractors, a new report by the Government Accountability Office has revealed.
- Royal Navy destroyer HMS Duncan in Ukraine for major multinational maritime exercise UK MOD 07 Jul 2019 -- The Type 45 has docked in the Port of Odesa on the Black Sea alongside NATO Allies and partner nations for Exercise Sea Breeze 2019.
- Turkish Official on S-400 Deal: Protection of Our Borders Means Protection of NATO, Europe Sputnik 07 Jul 2019 -- Ankara's agreement with Russia to purchase S-400 surface-to-air defence missile systems has been a major source of tension between Turkey and the United States, as Washington has warned Ankara of possible sanctions if the deal goes through.
- Tibet Military Region forces mobilize to Xinjiang for live-fire mock combat exercise Global Times 07 Jul 2019 -- An artillery brigade under the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Tibet Military Region recently mobilized from Southwest China's Tibet Autonomous Region to Northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region for a live-fire mock combat exercise.
- Pigeons Deemed a Threat to Fighter Jets at India's Future Rafale Base - Reports Sputnik 07 Jul 2019 -- Cutting-edge Rafale fighter jets will start arriving at the Ambala Air Base from May 2020 and will be placed into the 17 squadrons there, positioned along the western border with Pakistan.
- Iran Rolls Out Home-Grown Mobile Military Communications Unit 'Invulnerable to Hacking' Sputnik 07 Jul 2019 -- Last week, days after Iran's destruction of a US drone, Tehran accused the US of engaging in cyberattacks attempting to "cripple" Iran's missile launch capabilities.
- Remarks by President Trump Before Air Force One Departure | Morristown, NJ The White House 07 Jul 2019
- Yemeni armed forces display new domestically-built missiles, drones Press TV 07 Jul 2019 -- Yemeni Armed Forces have unveiled new domestically-built military hardware, including ballistic and winged missiles in addition to unmanned aerial vehicles, which Sana'a says could act as game changers in the face of the Saudi-led military aggression against the Arab country.
- Yemeni army retakes three new areas north of Al-Dhale SPA 07 Jul 2019 -- The Yemeni army announced that it had made new progress in the Directorate of Qatabah, north of the province of Al-Dhale in the south of Yemen.
- Syria: At least seven children killed in yet another airstrike UN News 07 Jul 2019 -- According to the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF), at least seven children were killed in an airstrike against displaced civilians on Saturday on the village of Mhambel, in the outskirts of Idlib, in northwest Syria. News reports state that over 20 civilians were killed in this attack led by Government forces using missiles and barrel bombs.
- Rights Group Says Russia-Backed Offensive In Northern Syria Has Killed 544 Civilians RFE/RL 07 Jul 2019 -- A British-registered Syrian rights watchdog says that at least 544 civilians have been killed and more than 2,000 injured since a Russia-backed assault on the final rebel stronghold in northwestern Syria began two months ago.
- US Pressures Germany to Send Ground Troops to Syria to Partially Replace American Forces Sputnik 07 Jul 2019 -- US Special Representative for Syria Engagement James Jeffrey was in Berlin on 5 July seeking to draw pledges of military and financial support from the German government as Washington ramps up its pressure on Berlin with the aim of expanding its mission in Syria.
- ICRC: Families of Foreign Fighters in Syria Should be Repatriated VOA 07 Jul 2019 -- The International Committee of the Red Cross is calling for the repatriation of families of foreign fighters suspected of being allied with Islamic State militants in Syria.
- Iraq launches new op against Daesh toward Syria border Press TV 07 Jul 2019 -- Iraq's military, backed by Iraqi Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), has launched a new operation to take out Daesh terrorists in the country's western areas stretching to the Syrian border.
- Migrants, Stuck in Libya, Demand Evacuation as Conflict Escalates VOA 07 Jul 2019 -- "We don't need to eat," said a young man held in a Libyan detention center five days after the compound was bombed killing more than 50 people and injuring at least 130. "We didn't touch the food. We need to be out of Libya."
- Turkey 'neutralizes' high-ranking PKK militant in northern Iraq Press TV 07 Jul 2019 -- Turkish military forces have killed a high-ranking member of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group during a counter-terrorism operation in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Turkish Security Forces Neutralize at Least 3 PKK Militants in Country's South - Reports Sputnik 07 Jul 2019 -- Turkish security forces have killed, captured or forced to surrender at least three militants linked to the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) during an operation carried out in the nation's southern province of Hatay, local media reported, citing the country's Interior Ministry.
- Venezuelan Oil Refineries Halted by Blackout - Reports Sputnik 07 Jul 2019 -- The crisis-hit Latin American country has suffered a series of mass power outages since early March, which the government has blamed on the United States and the country's opposition, describing the blackouts as "sabotage attacks".
- Sudan's military council urges national unity to achieve stability, renaissance Global Times 07 Jul 2019 -- Deputy Chairman of Sudan's Transitional Military Council (TMC) Mohamed Hamdan Daqlu on Saturday urged the Sudanese political forces and people to unite to achieve the country's stability and renaissance.
- UK Intelligence Pushes for "Ghost Protocol" to Give State Spies Access to Private Chats - Reports Sputnik 07 Jul 2019 -- UK spy agency MI5 and the Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) intelligence gathering unit earlier admitted in court that they act illegally in their use of bulk data.
- UK statement on Iran's commitment to the nuclear deal UK FCO 07 Jul 2019 -- Iran has broken its agreed commitments to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPoA) over their nuclear activity.
- Trump to Iran: 'Better Be Careful' VOA 07 Jul 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump is warning Iran in "better be careful" after Tehran said Sunday it was boosting uranium enrichment beyond the limits set in the 2015 nuclear deal.
- Iran says US can attend new round of nuke negotiations: official Global Times 07 Jul 2019 -- A senior Iranian official announced on Sunday that the United States can attend the new round of nuclear talks that the Islamic republic and the remaining parties to the Iranian 2015 nuclear deal plan to start in future.
- Tehran's second step to balance nuclear deal IRNA 07 Jul 2019 -- Violation of the commitments on the part of the signatories of 2015 nuclear accord known as Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), forced Iran, as the only committed party, to take the second step on the path of step-by-step adherence to the JCPOA. The Islamic Republic will increase its enriched uranium concentration beyond 3.67 percent as of July 7 based on its need, according to its previous promise.
- Iran hopeful of future oil sales: Minister IRNA 07 Jul 2019 -- Iran says it's hopeful that it can sell oil in the future despite the US unilateral sanctions.
- US at JCPOA talks OK if lifts sanctions: Iran deputy FM IRNA 07 Jul 2019 -- A senior Iranian diplomat said Sunday that Washington will be admitted into talks with the remaining nuclear deal signatories provided that it lifts sanctions.
- European JCPOA parties expected to support Iran's stance: FM IRNA 07 Jul 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Sunday that the European signatories to the nuclear deal have no pretext to strongly counter the US unilateral moves against the international issues.
- Russia: JCPOA ball in US court IRNA 07 Jul 2019 -- Chair of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Russian Federation Council Konstantin Kosachev said the US is responsible for preserving Iran nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) and they should now take steps for keeping the deal since ball is in their court.
- INSTEX without credit not acceptable to Iran: Deputy FM IRNA 07 Jul 2019 -- Europe's efforts to help Iran thwart the US sanctions is valuable but not enough unless it receives the required credit, a senior Iranian diplomat said Sunday.
- Needs determine Iran's nuclear activities: Spokesman IRNA 07 Jul 2019 -- Spokesman of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran said on Sunday that the second phase adopted by AEOI focused on the needs of the country.
- Iran to start 2nd phase of reducing JCPOA commitments today: Dep. FM IRNA 07 Jul 2019 -- Today is the last day of the 60-day opportunity given to the Europeans and since Iran has not gained what it expects from its JCPOA commitments, it is to start the second phase of reducing its commitments, said Deputy Foreign Minister of Iran Abbas Araqchi.
- Uranium purity to be fixed as per Iran's need, Gov't spokesman IRNA 07 Jul 2019 -- Iranian Government spokesman Ali Rabiei said on Sunday that in the second phase of reducing its commitment to the nuclear deal, Iran will raise the degree of uranium enrichment from 3.67 percent, so that the purity will be fixed as per Iran's need.
- Iran's remedial steps under JCPOA reversible only through E3 compliance: Zarif ISNA 07 Jul 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif stressed that E3 had no pretexts to avoid a firm political stance to preserve Iran nuclear deal and counter U.S unilateralism.
- Iran officially begins enriching uranium beyond 3.67% level ISNA 07 Jul 2019 -- Iran on Sunday has officially announced the beginning of the second phase of reduction of its commitments under the 2015 nuclear deal, increasing the level of its uranium enrichment to a level beyond the 3.67% limit set by the accord.
- US economic pressures against Iranian nation act of terrorism, fully-fledged economic war: Rouhani ISNA 07 Jul 2019 -- Presidents of the Islamic Republic of Iran and France spoke by telephone and discussed bilateral, regional and international issues.
- MP reveals details of Iran plan to charge ships passing through Strait of Hormuz Press TV 07 Jul 2019 -- A senior member of the Iranian parliament has shared more details of a plan to collect tolls from foreign ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz in the Persian Gulf.
- Germany, UK, France urge Iran to reverse decision on JCPOA commitments Press TV 07 Jul 2019 -- France, Britain and Germany, the three European signatories of the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran, have asked the Islamic Republic to reverse its decision to enrich uranium beyond the limits set in the agreement.
- US can attend JCPOA meetings if it lifts certain anti-Iran bans: Iranian official Press TV 07 Jul 2019 -- Iran says the United States can take part in the meetings of the signatories to the Iran nuclear deal – from which Washington has withdrawn – on the condition that it lifts sanctions against the country's oil and banking sectors.
- Cmdr. suggests Iran warning made US call off strikes Press TV 07 Jul 2019 -- The head of Iran's Passive Defense Organization has suggested that a stern warning by Iran compelled the United States to step back from a purported decision to strike targets inside Iran after the downing of an intruding US spy drone.
- Iran starts enriching uranium to higher purity than 3.67% as Europe misses deadline Press TV 07 Jul 2019 -- Iran says it is starting to enrich uranium to a higher purity than 3.67%, as the European signatories to a 2015 agreement with Tehran miss a 60-day deadline to offset the adverse impacts of a unilateral pullout by the United States.
- U.S. Threatens More Sanctions, Isolation After Iran Boosts Nuclear Program RFE/RL 07 Jul 2019 -- The United States said Iran will face more sanctions for enhancing its nuclear program beyond the limits of a 2015 landmark deal that Washington no longer supports.
- Macron Scrambles To Save Nuclear Deal Amid Reports Of Imminent Breach By Iran RFE/RL 07 Jul 2019 -- French President Emmanuel Macron is scrambling to save the 2015 Iranian nuclear deal amid reports that Tehran is on the verge of announcing it will lift uranium enrichment to above the limits set in the landmark accord.
- Pompeo Warns Iran After Nuclear Program 'Expansion', Promises New Sanctions, Further Isolation Sputnik 07 Jul 2019 -- On Sunday, Iranian authorities announced that the country's enrichment of uranium would surpass 3.6 percent "in a few hours," and promised to reduce the nation's commitment to the Iran nuclear deal, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), every 60 days, if the issue is not resolved.
- EU Concerned About Iran's Decision to Exceed Uranium Enrichment Limit - Spokeswoman Sputnik 07 Jul 2019 -- The European Union is worried about Iran's recent decision to raise uranium enrichment beyond nuclear deal limits and is calling upon Tehran to refrain from further steps that will go against the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), spokeswoman for EU Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Maja Kocijancic told Sputnik.
- France, Germany, UK Call on Iran to Immediately Stop and Reverse All Activities on Uranium Enrichment Sputnik 07 Jul 2019 -- Earlier in the day, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said that Tehran will in 60 days announce further nuclear obligations it will discontinue as the third step of scaling down its commitments under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Iran Raises Enrichment of Uranium, Blames Europe for Failure to Fulfill Commitments to Nuclear Deal Sputnik 07 Jul 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Monday that the country had exceeded the 300 kilogram (660 pound) enriched uranium stockpile limit set out by the 2015 deal, a fact that was then confirmed by the International Atomic Energy Agency. As explained by President Rouhani, Iran's move is an attempt to save the nuclear deal.
- Iran: Oil tanker seized by UK not bound for Syria Press TV 07 Jul 2019 -- Iran says an oil supertanker seized by Britain in Gibraltar was not carrying oil to Syria, denouncing the seizure as "maritime piracy".
- Iran deplores UK Navy wrongful act to seize supertanker IRNA 07 Jul 2019 -- Iranian Government on Sunday deplored the UK Navy's wrongful act to seize Iranian supertanker on the high seas.
- Iranian Oil-Laden Tanker Seized by UK Marines Off Gibraltar Was Not Bound for Syria - Tehran Sputnik 07 Jul 2019 -- The seizure of a Panamanian-flagged supertanker laden with Iranian oil by Royal Marines off the British territory of Gibraltar has resulted in intense condemnation from Tehran, which called the move "a form of piracy" and accused London of parroting Washington's "hostile policies."
- Iranian President Slams US Sanctions Against Tehran as 'Act of Terrorism' Sputnik 07 Jul 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, who held a phone conversation with his French counterpart, Emmanuel Macron, on Saturday, called the sanctions imposed on Tehran by the United States an "act of terrorism" and warned that should the "economic war" continue, it will affect the world, presidential press services noted.
- Thousands Rally in Hong Kong Tourist District Sputnik 07 Jul 2019 -- Thousands rallied on Sunday in a luxury shopping district in Hong Kong, popular with mainland Chinese tourists, in an attempt to alert the public to their worries, the South China Morning Post reported.
- Hong Kong Protesters Clash With Police at Latest Rally VOA 07 Jul 2019 -- Tens of thousands of people marched in the streets of Hong Kong Sunday to protest a law that would allow people to be extradited for trial to mainland China where courts are controlled by the Communist Party.
- Former governor Chris Patten slammed for 'absurd' remarks Global Times 07 Jul 2019 -- Officials from the Chinese central government have strongly condemned former governor of Hong Kong Chris Patten for "absurd" and "shameless" comments on the city's situation and urged him to stop telling blatant lies or putting on ridiculous performances.
- China slams UK 'Cold War mentality' over Hong Kong Press TV 07 Jul 2019 -- China says it is not interested in a diplomatic war with the United Kingdom but strongly rejects the "Cold War mentality" that Beijing has seen from London over Hong Kong, a former British colony.
- China's Mars rover to launch in 2020 Global Times 07 Jul 2019 -- Chinese scientists on Sunday announced that China will launch its first mission to Mars in 2020 and the construction of its rover has been completed.
- Omani FM visits Syria for talks on regional, international developments Press TV 07 Jul 2019 -- Oman's Foreign Minister Yusuf bin Alawi bin Abdullah has paid an official to Damascus for talks with Syrian President Bashar Assad on ways of restoring stability and security to the Middle East region, amid growing Arab overtures towards the Damascus government now that the country seems to be on the verge of full victory against foreign-backed terrorists.
- Nigerian authorities seek to murder Sheikh Zakzaky, toxic elements found in his blood: Son Press TV 07 Jul 2019 -- The son of Nigeria's Muslim leader Sheikh Ibrahim al-Zakzaky has warned about the deteriorating health of the 66-year-old cleric, who has been held in detention along with his wife for more than three years.
- Reforms In Central Asia Can Be 'Painful,' Says Top EU Diplomat RFE/RL 07 Jul 2019 -- The European Union's foreign policy chief says promoting democratic change in Central Asia can sometimes be a "painful process," but added that she sees signs of "encouragement," especially in Uzbekistan.
- Africa Launches Free Trade Pact VOA 07 Jul 2019 -- Africa is about to enter into what could be an era of peace and prosperity with the official launch of a continental trade agreement.
- Greek Conservatives Oust Leftist Premier Tsipras VOA 07 Jul 2019 -- Conservative Greek opposition leader Kyriakos Mitsotakis rode to a landslide victory over leftist Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras in Sunday's parliamentary elections and is set to become the country's new head of government Monday.
- Malawi President Warns of Action Against Protest Organizers VOA 07 Jul 2019 -- Malawi President Peter Mutharika has warned of unspecified action against the leaders of violent protests following his narrow recent election victory.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|