29 June 2019 Military News
- US Deploys F-22 Fighter Jets to Qatar to Defend American Forces, Interests - Air Force Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- The United States has for the first time deployed its stealth F-22 fighter jets to Qatar as added protection for US forces amid the current tensions with Iran, the US Air Force Central Command said in a release on Friday.
- Latest Taliban Attacks Kill At Least 42 Afghan Forces VOA 29 Jun 2019 -- The Taliban has killed dozens of government forces in its latest battlefield attacks in Afghanistan as the insurgent group opens a new round of peace negotiations with the United States in Qatar to discuss a political settlement to the deadly Afghan war.
- Taliban kills 26 pro-govt. militias in Afghanistan's Baghlan Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- At least 26 pro-government militiamen have been killed in an attack by the Taliban militants in northern Afghanistan amid a new round of peace talks in Qatar.
- U.S. Envoy, Taliban Begin New Round Of Afghan Peace Talks In Qatar RFE/RL 29 Jun 2019 -- Zalmay Khalilzad, the U.S. peace envoy for Afghanistan, is opening a new round of talks with the Taliban in Doha as Washington bids to speed up the process to end the 18-year conflict in the war-torn country.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Carney en Route to Exercise Sea Breeze 2019 NNS 29 Jun 2019 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Carney (DDG 64) began its north-bound transit to the Black Sea June 29, 2019, to enhance regional maritime stability by participating in exercise Sea Breeze 2019.
- Russian Engineers Create, Test 'Stealth Radar' Invisible to Enemy Aircraft and Drones Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- Until now, one of the traditional problems of military radar installations had been their vulnerability to attack, since the signals they send out in search of enemy aircraft are easily picked up by these same aircraft, betraying the radar's physical location.
- Putin Says Discussed Prospects of New START Treaty Extension With Trump - Reports Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin told the Kommersant newspaper after his meeting with his US counterpart, Donald Trump, that prospects of extension of the bilateral New START treaty had been addressed but it was too early to discuss the outcome of the talks since there was a "long way" ahead.
- Putin Says U.S., Russia To Resume Nuclear Arms Talks RFE/RL 29 Jun 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has said that he and his U.S. counterpart, Donald Trump, have ordered their foreign ministers to begin consultations on nuclear arms control.
- Donald Trump: S400-F35 tension between US, Turkey Obama's fault, not Ankara's Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump says the current tension over Turkey's purchase of Russian-built S-400 air defense missile systems and US F-35 stealth warplanes is former American President Barack Obama's fault, not Ankara's.
- Trump tells Erdogan S-400 deal with Russia is a 'problem' Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has told his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan that Ankara's contract with Russia to purchase S-400 missile systems is a "problem" that gets in the way of expanding ties between the two NATO allies, as Turkey approaches the US deadline for either ditching the deal or facing punishments.
- Trump, Erdogan Make No Progress On S-400 Standoff RFE/RL 29 Jun 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has met with his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, to urge him not to proceed with the purchase of Russia's advanced S-400 ground-to-air defense system.
- Trump Admits US Treated Turkey 'Unfairly' Amid Row Over Russia's S-400 Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- Relations between the NATO allies deteriorated sharply amid Washington's threats to sanction Ankara over its purchase of Russian air defence systems and to renege on its agreement to sell the country Lockheed F-35 warplanes.
- Russian-Turkish S-400 Contract Envisions Partial Technology Transfer - Kremlin Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- The contract for delivering Russia's S-400 air defence systems to Turkey envisions partial technology transfer, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov confirmed on Saturday.
- Turkey's Erdogan Expects US F-35 Jets Despite Missile Row Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Saturday, Turkey expected US F-35 stealth fighter jets to be delivered as Ankara had paid for them.
- Process of Russian S-400 Systems Delivery to Turkey Underway Without Delays - Erdogan Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- The process of delivery of Russian S-400 missile systems to Turkey is ongoing without any delays, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday, adding that the bilateral agreement on joint missile building and transfer of technologies was very important for Ankara.
- China opposes U.S. defense bill over negative China-related content People's Daily 29 Jun 2019 -- China on Friday voiced opposition to a U.S. defense policy bill over negative China-related provisions.
- US Pressing Germany for Extending Its Military Action in Syria – Report Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- US officials allegedly want the German military to continue their missions in the country, as well as deploy forces on the ground. If the German government pursues the move, it could put the CDU/CSU bloc on a collision course with the Social Democrats, who want their country to pull forces out of Syria.
- US Approves $122Mln Sale of Tactical Missiles to Germany - Pentagon Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- The United States has approved a sale of tactical missiles worth more than $122 million to Germany, the US Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) said in a press release on Friday.
- India, Russia to use euro for military transactions in face of US sanctions Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- India will reportedly be using euro as the payment currency for S-400 missile defense systems and other weapons it has purchased from Russia, in an attempt to avoid threat of US sanctions over military transactions with Moscow.
- Iran defense industry to help car project abandoned by Peugeot Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- Iran's defense industry is to offer expertise to save a major car project which suffered after France-based company PSA Peugeot Citroën left the country under pressure of sanctions from the United States.
- Trump calls for revising 'unfair' US-Japan military treaty in meeting with Abe Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump, who has repeatedly criticized a decades-old military treaty with Japan as "unfair," says he told Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe during the latest meeting that the deal needs to be revised.
- Europe's Military Expands to Internet as First-Ever Joint Army Grid Deal Signed Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- NATO defence ministers met in Belgium this week to discuss key security challenges, progress on burden sharing, defence and deterrence posture, and new technologies as the alliance strives to achieve greater integration.
- Remarks by President Trump and President Erdogan of Turkey Before Bilateral Meeting | Osaka, Japan The White House 29 Jun 2019
- Remarks by President Trump in Press Conference | Osaka, Japan The White House 29 Jun 2019
- Coalition fighters destroy stores and vehicles of Houthi terrorist militia in Sa'ada SPA 29 Jun 2019 -- Fighters of the Coalition to Support Legitimacy in Yemen have destroyed vehicles belonging to the Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia in its stronghold of Sa'ada province.
- Haftar Threatens to Target Turkish Ships, Assets in Libya - Reports Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- Earlier in the week, forces loyal to the Government of National Accord (GNA) announced that they had managed to break up Haftar's months-long advancement towards Tripoli and recapture the town of Gharyan.
- Libyan National Army Says Closed Skies for Tripoli-Bound Turkish Civilian Planes Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- The eastern Libyan National Army (LNA) has been ordered to close the country's skies for Tripoli-bound Turkish civilian planes, the LNA spokesman, Ahmed Mismari, said, accusing Turkey of supporting the forces loyal to the western Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA).
- Haftar's Libyan National Army Says Shot Down Drone of National Accord Government Forces Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar said on Friday that its air defence had shot down a drone launched by the forces of the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) near Tripoli.
- Haftar orders forces to attack Turkish ships, interests in Libya Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- Libya's strongman Khalifa Haftar has ordered his forces to attack Turkish ships and interests in the North African state, his spokesman said Friday, accusing Ankara of supporting Haftar's rivals in the Libyan conflict.
- Mobile Data Shutdown in Burma's Rakhine and Chin States US Dept. of State 29 Jun 2019
- Putin, Abe Hail 'Substantive Dialogue' On Kurile Islands Standoff RFE/RL 29 Jun 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe agreed to expand bilateral economic ties but failed to make progress toward a peace agreement to formally end World War II.
- Abe After Talks With Putin: It Is Now More Clear What Issues to Resolve to Sign Peace Deal Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- On Possible Joint Activities on Nuclear Energy in Third Countries
- Experts Warn Mali Border Violence Could Spiral Out of Control VOA 29 Jun 2019 -- A volatile mix of intercommunal conflict and violent extremism near Mali's border with Niger and Burkina Faso has become a looming crisis, experts are warning.
- Troika Statement on Freedoms in Sudan US Dept. of State 29 Jun 2019
- Putin say Moscow seeks improved ties with Washington, warns of countermeasures Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says his country seeks improved relations with the United States but has warned that Moscow will take countermeasures if Washington imposes more sanctions.
- Western intel agencies hacked Russian online search firm to plant spying virus Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- Elements tied to Western spy agencies hacked into online search engine firm Yandex – the Russian equivalent to Google -- late last year to embed a malware designed to snoop on its user accounts, a report has revealed.
- Trump's Korea Visit to Include 'Long-Planned' Visit to DMZ VOA 29 Jun 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said early Sunday that his schedule while in South Korea would include a visit with U.S. troops and a trip to the Demilitarized Zone.
- Trump says he may meet Kim Jong Un at DMZ Global Times 29 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump said here Saturday that he might meet top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), Kim Jong Un, at the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) during his visit to South Korea this weekend, although further details have not been finalized.
- China supports North Korea-US communication Global Times 29 Jun 2019 -- China supports the communication between North Korea and the US, Chinese President Xi Jinping said during his meeting with US President Donald Trump on Saturday.
- DPRK Led by Kim Jong Un Will Be Prosperous Forever KCNA 29 Jun 2019 -- Newspapers of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea Saturday dedicate editorials to the 3rd anniversary of Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un's election as chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the DPRK.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un, Peerlessly Great Man Displaying Dignity of DPRK KCNA 29 Jun 2019 -- It has been three years since Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un was elected as chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea on June 29, Juche 105 (2016).
- DPRK welcomes Trump's proposed meeting but receives no official proposal yet People's Daily 29 Jun 2019 -- A senior foreign ministry official of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) said Saturday that the proposed meeting between the leaders of DPRK and the United States, if it happens, would serve as a meaningful occasion further deepening their personal ties.
- DPRK Needs 'Some Kind of Break' in Sanctions Before Denuclearization - South Korean Special Adviser Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- Dr. Moon Chung Il, the special adviser to South Korean President Moon Jae In on national security and foreign policy, discussed with Radio Sputnik Friday how the denuclearization of North Korea should occur in tandem with peacemaking and the reunification of the Koreas.
- Trump Invites North Korea's Kim Jong Un to Meet at DMZ During South Korea Visit Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump tweeted out early Saturday morning from Japan that during his next stop in South Korea, he would like to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at the demilitarized zone "just to shake his hand and say Hello."
- US claims Saudi pipeline attack originated from Iraq, not Yemen: Report Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- A US report says American officials claimed that the drone attacks on Saudi Arabia's oil pipeline in May originated from Iraq, not Yemen.
- JCPOA signatories stress lifting sanctions as main part of deal IRNA 29 Jun 2019 -- The participants of the JCPOA joint commission meeting in Vienna in a statement underlined the fact that lifting sanctions is the most important part of the deal and reviewed their respective commitments in this regard.
- Russia shows interest to join INSTEX IRNA 29 Jun 2019 -- Russian deputy foreign minister said at the end of JCPOA Joint Commission's meeting in Vienna on Friday that his country is interested to join the Instrument in Support of Trade Exchanges (INSTEX) to do financial interaction with Iran.
- EU' adherence to JCPOA main reason for Iran's stay in it: Spox IRNA 29 Jun 2019 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Seyyed Abbas Mousavi said Iran will probably remain in the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) provided European parties stay faithful to their commitments as well.
- JCPOA malfunctioning, Iran not to shoulder it on its own: UN envoy Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- Iran's permanent ambassador to the United Nations has warned that a 2015 nuclear deal signed between the country and global powers, known as the JCPOA, is not functioning properly because parties to the deal have not done enough to save it since the United States pulled out of the agreement in May 2018.
- Iran will respond to US pressure with resistance, not diplomacy: Spokesman Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- Iran has dismissed assertions by US officials that the country should choose the path of diplomacy to deal with Washington, saying the country will stick to its policy of resisting the American pressure.
- Iran to mount resistance in face of US pressures as it repelled Iraq's 1980s war: Zarif Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the Islamic Republic will continue to put up spirited resistance in the face of the United States' "maximum pressure" campaign, just as it persevered during the 1980s Iran-Iraq war.
- Russia: JCPOA sides to help Iran export heavy water Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- Russia says the signatories to the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran are seeking to introduce measures that will enable Tehran to resume exports of low enriched uranium and heavy water despite US sanctions.
- Tehran Mocks 'Totally Useless' US Sanctions as Europe's Iran Trade Mechanism Comes Online Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- Already tense relations between Tehran and Washington went into a tailspin last week, after President Trump slapped the Islamic Republic with new sanctions and threatened the country with "obliteration" after Iran's Revolutionary Guards shot down a US spy drone they said was operating in Iranian airspace.
- Remarks by President Trump and President Xi of the People's Republic of China Before Bilateral Meeting | Osaka, Japan The White House 29 Jun 2019
- China, US agree to restart trade talks; hurdles seen for negotiators Global Times 29 Jun 2019 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and US President Donald Trump have agreed to restart trade consultations on equal terms, the Xinhua News Agency reported on Saturday. The outcome of the meeting has been welcomed but analysts have warned of a difficult process ahead for negotiators.
- US and China agree to restart trade negotiations Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump says Washington and Beijing have agreed to restart trade negotiations and the US will not levy new tariffs on Chinese exports during the talks, though experts doubt the world's two largest economies will resolve their trade war.
- Hong Kong Protests Stir Questions in Macau VOA 29 Jun 2019 -- Since Portugal's colony of Macau reverted to Chinese control in 1999, it has become known for operating the world's most profitable gaming industry and a go-along, get-along attitude toward Beijing.
- US, China Leaders Agree to Resume Trade Talks VOA 29 Jun 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he will hold off on imposing additional tariffs on China after a meeting with President Xi Jinping that resulted in the stalled trade negotiations getting "right back on track."
- I brought up Khashoggi murder with Saudi crown prince: Trump Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump says he raised the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in a meeting with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
- Trump praises saudi bin Salman despite complicity in Khashoggi murder Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has praised Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for doing what he calls "a spectacular job," turning a blind eye to a new report that holds him liable for the killing of prominent journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- DRC Violence Threatens Lifesaving Ebola Operation VOA 29 Jun 2019 -- A senior World Health Organization official warns efforts to contain the spread of the deadly Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo will remain elusive unless the vicious cycle of violence in the region is broken. Latest WHO figures put the number of Ebola cases at 2284, including 1540 deaths and 637 survivors.
- Turkmenistan Opens Major New Gasoline Refinery Amid Fuel Shortages RFE/RL 29 Jun 2019 -- Turkmenistan has opened a major new gasoline refinery as the natural-gas-rich country struggles with major deficits of gasoline that have angered drivers for months.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|