25 June 2019 Military News
- Joint Statement by the Political Director's of the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS US Dept. of State 25 Jun 2019
- U.S. Secretary Of State Makes Unannounced Visit To Afghanistan RFE/RL 25 Jun 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said he hopes for a peace deal with the Taliban "before September 1," as he spoke to reporters in Kabul during an unannounced visit to the Afghan capital on June 25.
- Pompeo Hopes for Afghan Peace Deal Before September VOA 25 Jun 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Tuesday during a visit to Afghanistan that the Trump administration is aiming for a peace deal in the war-ravaged country by September.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Robotic combat vehicles could change way Army looks, fights Army News 25 Jun 2019 -- Similar to how a boxer with a longer reach finds it easier to hit an opponent, the Army is looking to punch through the standoff defenses of near-peer adversaries.
- Acting Secretary Esper En-Route Media Availability DoD 25 Jun 2019 -- Acting Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper
- Sixth Fleet Announces Sea Breeze 2019 participation NNS 25 Jun 2019 -- U.S. 6th Fleet is going to participate in the upcoming Sea Breeze 2019 (SB19), an exercise which brings together 19 nations, 32 ships, 24 aircraft and more than 3,000 troops.
- US Marine Corps to Test Ground-Based 'Drone-Killing' Laser Weapon Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- Wanting to improve its tactics in countering unmanned aerial systems, the US Marine Corps is now working on testing the Compact Laser Weapons System (CLaWS) in an effort to provide servicemembers with better options during operations.
- US, Australia new C-17 maintenance arrangement enhances readiness, cooperation US Air Force 25 Jun 2019 -- U.S. Air Force and Royal Australian Air Force officials implemented a new maintenance arrangement for the C-17 Globemaster III that will improve strategic airlift efficiency and fleet readiness.
- Oregon National Guard host Defense Support of Civil Authorities training Army News 25 Jun 2019 -- The U.S. Navy launched two Landing Craft, Air Cushioned (LCAC) hovercrafts from the U.S.S. Anchorage as part of ongoing Defense Support of Civil Authorities (DSCA) readiness training conducted at Sunset Beach State Recreation Site, south of Warrenton, Oregon, near Camp Rilea on June 3, 2019.
- Defence Expenditure of NATO Countries (2012-2019) NATO 25 Jun 2019 -- NATO collects defence expenditure data from Allies on a regular basis and presents aggregates and subsets of this information. Each Ally's Ministry of Defence reports current and estimated future defence expenditure according to an agreed definition of defence expenditure.
- NATO Secretary General: Slovakia makes many contributions to our shared security NATO 25 Jun 2019 -- Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met with President Zuzana Čaputová of Slovakia at NATO Headquarters on Tuesday (25 June 2019) for talks about the security situation in Europe, and the Alliance's adaptation ahead of the NATO Summit in London in December.
- US Response to Russia's INF Suspension to Be in Field of Conventional Arms - Envoy to NATO Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- The United States is studying a possible response to Russia's suspension of compliance with the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF), in order to protect itself from Russia's cruise missiles, US Permanent Representative to NATO Kay Bailey Hutchison said on Tuesday.
- UK Defence Ministry Reveals First Target For Its F-35s Fleet Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- The Royal Air Force (RAF) intends to obtain some 138 expensive fifth-generation jets in the coming years, despite the problems, both minor and major that continue to haunt the aircraft and which the manufacturer, Lockheed Martin promises to fix along with introducing improvements to the fighter.
- History made as UK F-35s complete first operational missions UK MOD 25 Jun 2019 -- The UK's newest and most advanced fighter jet, the Lightning F-35B, has successfully completed its first operational missions.
- Chinese aircraft carrier passes through Taiwan Strait CNA 25 Jun 2019 -- Taiwan's military said Tuesday it closely monitored the Chinese aircraft carrier Liaoning (遼寧號), as it passed through the Taiwan Strait earlier in the day.
- No change in U.S. stance on arms sales to Taiwan: AIT CNA 25 Jun 2019 -- The U.S.' decades-long stance in providing Taiwan with weapons has not changed, the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) said Tuesday, amid reports that the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump has temporarily set aside an arms sales package to Taiwan in order to reach a trade deal with China.
- India Reportedly Drops Israeli Missile Deal for Indigenously Made Replacement Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- New Delhi has reportedly scrapped a deal to buy Spike anti-tank missiles from Israel's Rafael Advanced Defense Systems after the Defense Research & Development Organization promised a homemade equivalent in two years' time.
- My Aim is to Make India Self-Sufficient in Defence Production: Indian PM Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- Prime Minister Modi outlined tourism, agriculture, infrastructure and boosting the manufacturing sector as some key steps to lifting the economy of the nation. "Let it be our collective endeavour to make India a five trillion dollar economy."
- India Set to Get US Sanction Waiver on S-400 Purchase: External Affairs Ministry Official Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- On the day US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo arrived in India, a top official in the External Affairs Ministry exuded confidence that India will receive essential sanctions waivers under CAATSA (Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act) on the purchase of S-400 air missile defence systems from Russia.
- Iran ready to hold joint military drill with Iraq IRNA 25 Jun 2019 -- Commander of Iran Army Ground Forces Brigadier General Kiumars Heidari on Tuesday expressed readiness to hold joint military drill with Iraq.
- Iran will never pursue nuclear weapon: FM Zarif Press TV 25 Jun 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the Islamic Republic will never pursue a nuclear weapon based on its religious and strategic beliefs, stressing the importance of dismantling chemical arms across the world.
- US Confirms No Withdrawal From Defence Treaty - Japan Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- The pact was made after World War II and has formed the foundation for the alliance between the former enemies. It guarantees that the US should come to Japan's defence if it is attacked but has no such obligations in the other direction.
- Criminal Probe Launched Into Deadly Blasts At Ammunition Warehouse In Kazakhstan RFE/RL 25 Jun 2019 -- Kazakhstan's president says a criminal investigation has been opened into a series of blasts that hit an ammunition warehouse that killed two people and injured dozens in the southern town of Arys.
- Turkey will lose F-35 warplanes if S-400 deal goes ahead: US NATO envoy Press TV 25 Jun 2019 -- The United States Ambassador to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), Kay Bailey Hutchison, says her country will stop Turkish forces flying and developing F-35 stealth fighter jets in case Turkey presses ahead with its plans to acquire advanced Russian-made S-400 missile defense systems.
- U.S. Signs New Conventional Weapons Destruction Memorandum With Ukraine US Dept. of State 25 Jun 2019 -- "Today, the United States and Ukraine signed a new memorandum of understanding on Conventional Weapons Stockpile Management. Signed by Assistant Secretary of State for Political-Military Affairs R. Clarke Cooper and Ukraine Ministry of Foreign Affairs Acting Director of the Directorate of International Security Ruslan Nimchynskyi, the memorandum sets out a $4 million U.S. contribution toward construction of six explosive storehouses over the next two years for the Ukrainian Ministry of Defense."
- Trump to Hold at Least 8 Bilateral Side Meetings at G-20 VOA 25 Jun 2019 -- Just a month after a state visit to Japan, U.S. President Donald Trump this week heads to the East Asian country again.
- 25 June 2019 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 25 Jun 2019
- Yemeni forces target Saudi airports in Jizan, Asir with combat drones Press TV 25 Jun 2019 -- Yemeni army forces and fighters from allied Popular Committees have launched a string of airstrikes at Saudi military positions in the kingdom's southern regions in retaliation for the Riyadh regime's deadly military campaign against their country.
- Joint Forces Command of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen: Saudi Special Forces Capture Leader of Daesh (ISIS) Branch in Yemen SPA 25 Jun 2019 -- The official spokesman of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen, Colonel Turki Al Malki, stated that at 9:20 am on Sunday, June 3rd, 2019, Saudi Special Forces with cooperation of Yemeni Special Forces conducted a successful operation that resulted in the capture of the leader of Daesh (ISIS) branch in Yemen, a.k.a Abu Osama Al-Muhajir, as well as other elements of the terrorist group including the chief financial officer of Daesh (ISIS) branch in Yemen.
- Command of the Joint Forces of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen: The attack on Abha International Airport and the targeting of civilians by the Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia is a brutal terrorist act SPA 25 Jun 2019 -- Further to the statement issued by the Command of Joint Forces of the Coalition on the evening of Sunday 23 June 2019 regarding a terrorist attack on Abha International Airport, carried out by the Iranian-backed Houthi terrorist militia, the Official Spokesman of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen Col. Turki Almalki said that the terrorist attack killed a Syrian resident, and wounded 21 civilians of various nationalities: 13 Saudis, 4 Indians, 2 Egyptians, 2 Bangladeshis, including 3 women (one Egyptian and two Saudis) and two Indian children.
- Saudi Special Forces Capture Leader of Yemeni Branch of Daesh - Reports Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- Saudi special forces have arrested the leader of the Yemeni branch of the Daesh* terrorist group, Saudi state news agency SPA reported.
- Syria: Ease suffering, save lives, UN Emergency Relief Coordinator tells Security Council UN News 25 Jun 2019 -- "Week after week, month after month, year after year", the Security Council has been briefed on Syria's humanitarian suffering, and on Tuesday, the UN's Emergency Relief Coordinator once again described "the latest horror facing civilians", pleading for greater humanitarian access.
- Number of Terror Incidents in Kashmir Has Tripled Since 2014: Indian Govt Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- India revealed that the number of terror-related incidents in Jammu and Kashmir state swelled to 614 in 2018 from 222 in 2014. the Indian Home Ministry further mentioned that a total of 733 terrorists have been neutralised by Indian forces since 2016
- Kashmiri Secessionists Favour Talks; Says No To Military Solution Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- After the resounding victory of Prime Minister Narendra Modi for a second term, the Governor of Jammu and Kashmir stated that he expects the secessionist group to come around for talks. The state has been under the president's rule since August 2018, when the ruling BJP pulled the rug from under the coalition government.
- Kushner Says Israeli-Palestinian Deal Is Impossible to Reach Within Arab Peace Initiative Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- Shortly before a workshop in Bahrain, where he is to present the economic portion of Washington's long-awaited Arab-Israeli peace plan, White House senior adviser Jared Kushner suggested that reaching a deal along the lines of the Saudi-led Arab peace initiative will not be possible.
- UN chief praises impact of Palestine refugee agency as 'our common success', at key pledging conference UN News 25 Jun 2019 -- The work of the UN body responsible for assisting Palestine refugees, UNRWA, which has allowed millions of children to receive an education that promotes UN values of human rights and tolerance, as well as democracy and conflict resolution, should be viewed "not only as our common responsibility, but as our common success", said Secretary-General António Guterres on Tuesday.
- Palestinians Reject Economic Vision of Trump's 'Deal of the Century' VOA 25 Jun 2019 -- Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza clashed with Israeli forces Tuesday as they protested an economic initiative launched by the White House Tuesday at a conference in Manama, Bahrain.
- UN: Internet Blackout in Western Myanmar May Be Hiding Human Rights Abuses VOA 25 Jun 2019 -- The United Nations special human rights investigator for Myanmar says the military may be carrying out "gross human rights violations" in western Myanmar under the cover of an Internet blackout.
- Thousands of Refugees Flee as Inter-Ethnic Violence Flares in DR Congo VOA 25 Jun 2019 -- The United Nations refugee agency reports around 7,500 Congolese refugees have fled to Uganda this month to escape escalating inter-ethnic violence. Officials are screening them closely, not only for wounds and injuries, but for any who might be carrying the deadly Ebola virus.
- Peace dividend palpable in South Sudan, but 'grassroots' are moving faster than elites, says Shearer UN News 25 Jun 2019 -- The peace dividend from last year's ceasefire in South Sudan is palpable, but political elites need to follow the example set by local communities on the ground if lasting progress is to be achieved, said the top UN official in the country on Tuesday.
- Will Americans Be Kept in the Dark About Foreign Efforts to Alter 2020 Election? VOA 25 Jun 2019 -- Senior U.S. officials say they are already busy buttressing the nation's defenses against foreign interference for the 2020 presidential election. Only they admit the public may be kept in the dark about attacks and intrusions.
- Acting US Border Patrol Chief to Resign in Coming Weeks - Reports Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- Acting US Customs and Border Protection Commissioner John Sanders is expected to resign from his post in the coming weeks, media reported on Tuesday.
- Mexico Deploys 15,000 Troops on US Border to Stop Migration Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- Mexico's Secretariat of National Defense announced Monday that nearly 15,000 troops would be sent to the country's northern border with the United States in a bid to stem the flow of migrants into the US, for which Washington has attempted to hold Mexico City accountable.
- US Confirms 200 Unaccompanied Minors Removed From CBP Facility VOA 25 Jun 2019 -- More than 200 children held in a border facility described as unsafe and unsanitary last week were transferred to the care of another U.S. agency by Tuesday, U.S. health authorities confirmed.
- Briefing With Special Representative for Venezuela Elliott Abrams US Dept. of State 25 Jun 2019 -- Special Briefing by Elliott Abrams, U.S. Special Representative for Venezuela
- US State Department Claims Russian Frigate Heading for Venezuela Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- Previously, Washington repeatedly reproached Russia for allegedly sending its military to the Latin American state, despite Moscow explaining on multiple occasions that it was actually sending maintenance technicians under the provisions of pre-existing military supply treaties with Caracas.
- Moscow Refutes Claims of Russian Military Presence Boost in Venezuela Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov refuted on Tuesday claims about a boost of Russian military presence in Venezuela, stressing that Russian military had arrived in the country to provide scheduled technical maintenance of the previously delivered equipment.
- Georgians Protest For Sixth Night As Opposition Leader Faces Arrest RFE/RL 25 Jun 2019 -- Thousands of protesters rallied in the Georgian capital, Tbilisi, for the sixth consecutive day, demanding the resignation of the interior minister.
- Georgians Protest For Fifth Night Despite Promised Reforms RFE/RL 25 Jun 2019 -- Georgians have taken to the streets of Tbilisi for a fifth day after their country's ruling party failed to meet all their demands.
- Head Of Russia's Volatile Ingushetia Region Resigns Amid Border-Deal Tensions With Chechnya RFE/RL 25 Jun 2019 -- The head of Russia's volatile North Caucasus region of Ingushetia, Yunus-Bek Yevkurov, has announced his resignation after almost 11 years in the position.
- Council of Europe's Parliamentary Assembly votes for Russia's return Press TV 25 Jun 2019 -- The Council of Europe (CE)'s Parliamentary Assembly has voted to allow Russian representatives to return to the pan-European rights body after stripping them of voting rights in 2014 over the Ukrainian crisis.
- Russia Will Not Comply With PACE Resolutions Adopted in Its Absence - Delegation Head Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- Russia's delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) will not comply with PACE resolutions that have been adopted during the years of its absence, the head of the delegation and the deputy speaker of Russia's lower house of Parliament, Pyotr Tolstoy, said on Tuesday.
- PACE Officially Invites Russian Delegation to Take Part in June Session Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- Voting rights of members of PACE delegations are not subject to sanctions, the assembly said in a resolution.
- Polish National Sentenced In Russia On Spy Charges RFE/RL 25 Jun 2019 -- The Moscow City Court has sentenced a Polish national to 14 years in prison after finding him guilty of espionage.
- Polish Citizen Sentenced to 14 Years for Trying to Steal Secret Parts of Russia's S-300 Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- A Moscow city court has conducted a closed-door trial into the case of Polish citizen Marian Radzajewski, accused of espionage, the Russian Federal Security Service stated.
- Experts: Step-by-Step Approach Needed in Denuclearization Deal With North Korea VOA 25 Jun 2019 -- As a door opens slightly for U.S.-North Korea diplomacy to resume, the Trump administration should consider adopting a flexible step-by-step approach toward the full denuclearization of North Korea starting with freezing its fissile material production, said experts.
- Trump and Kim Exchange Letters, But Will They Meet at DMZ? VOA 25 Jun 2019 -- The latest exchange of letters between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has raised hopes of restarting stalled nuclear talks.
- North Korea not ready to denuclearize: US military spy chief Press TV 25 Jun 2019 -- The head of the United States military spy agency says the country's intelligence community does not believe North Korea is ready for denuclearization, just days after an exchange of letters between the leaders of the two countries.
- US Intelligence Agency Chief Says North Korea Is 'Not Ready to Denuclearize' Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- US Defence Intelligence Agency Director Lieutenant General Robert Ashley said on Monday that the US intelligence community does not believe North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is ready to denuclearize following the earlier agreement with US President Donald Trump.
- Rouhani warns of 'decisive' response if Iran space violated again Press TV 25 Jun 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says Tehran is not after war with Washington, but will give the United States a "decisive" response if it once again violates Iran's territorial space.
- Trump Ratchets Up Verbal Attacks on Iran VOA 25 Jun 2019 -- Top American and Iranian officials are continuing to fire verbal warning shots at each other while insisting they want to avoid war.
- Iran Dismisses US Sanctions, Says Calls for Dialogue Not Serious VOA 25 Jun 2019 -- Iranian officials on Tuesday dismissed new U.S. sanctions as putting an end to any diplomatic path for resolving tensions between the two countries, and further described U.S. overtures for dialogue as disingenuous.
- Rouhani: Iran's armed forces ready to give resolute response if US repeats violations IRNA 25 Jun 2019 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday that if the Americans want to repeat violating Iran's air space and territorial waters, its armed forces will deliver a resolute response to them.
- President: Prudent gov't not sanctioning highest political, religious authority IRNA 25 Jun 2019 -- President Hassan Rouhani said that a government with prudence and wisdom does not sanction the highest authority of a country that is not only a political authority, but also a religious, social, spiritual one, and not only the leader of Iran, but the leader of Iran's lovers all over the world, who is the leader of Muslims and Shias of the world.
- US' sanctions against Iran violating human rights: President IRNA 25 Jun 2019 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani stressed that the US sanctions against the Iranian nation are against human rights.
- President Rouhani: US underestimates Iran's military might IRNA 25 Jun 2019 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday that the US had underestimated Iran's military might and did not expect the Iranian forces to successfully down its most sophisticated drone.
- Rouhani: Sanctioning Iran's FM proves US lies IRNA 25 Jun 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani described the sanctions imposed against Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei as irrationality of the US statesmen, and said that if the Americans are honest in negotiations, why are they planning to sanction Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif.
- Russian PM: US made region shaky by JCPOA withdrawal IRNA 25 Jun 2019 -- Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said on Tuesday that the US withdrawal from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action has caused escalation in the region.
- Iran not to tolerate threat to national interests: Minister IRNA 25 Jun 2019 -- Defense minister of Iran Brigadier General Amir Hatami said on Tuesday that the Islamic Republic of Iran will not hesitate to safeguard national interests.
- European parties reaffirm commitment to JCPOA IRNA 25 Jun 2019 -- Three European signatories to the nuclear deal with Iran on Tuesday urged the full implementation of the deal and related UN Resolution 2231, describing them as in line with non-proliferation and collective security.
- Trump violates UN norms on saving int'l peace, security: FM Spox IRNA 25 Jun 2019 -- Trump administration systematically violates criteria of the international community to save the world peace and security, spokesman of the Foreign Ministry Abbas Mousavi said on Tuesday.
- Iran leading country in combating weapons of mass destruction: Zarif ISNA 25 Jun 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif said countries that scarified thousands of people with weapons of mass destruction in the past, cannot claim on combating these weapons today.
- Sanctioning Supreme leader of Iran ridiculous: President Rouhani ISNA 25 Jun 2019 -- Iran's President described serving patients as a human duty and not merely administrative one, saying, "Increasing precision in diagnosis, improving health services and reducing people's expenses are three main principles of healthcare services".
- Iran's practices indicate it wants neither war nor escalation of tension in Persian Gulf region: Takht-Ravanchi ISNA 25 Jun 2019 -- Iran's ambassador to the United Nations, Majid Takht Ravanchi in his introductory remarks in the UN Security Council Media Stakeout said that in order to ease tensions in the broader Persian Gulf region, the U.S. must stop its military adventurism as well as its economic war and terrorism against the Iranian people.
- B-Team despises diplomacy, thirsts for war: FM Zarif ISNA 25 Jun 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif emphasized that B-Team is not concerned with US interests; they despise diplomacy, and thirst for war.
- US sanctions on Iran's Leader, FM permanently close path of diplomacy: Mousavi ISNA 25 Jun 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman stressed that US decision to impose sanctions on Iran's Supreme Leader and other top officials has permanently closed the path of diplomacy with Trump's desperate administration.
- U.S. imposes new, "hard-hitting" sanctions on Iran amid tensions People's Daily 25 Jun 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Monday that his country is imposing new and "hard-hitting" sanctions on Iran amid high tensions between Washington and Tehran.
- Pentagon seeking NATO alliance to 'close the door to conflict' with Iran Press TV 25 Jun 2019 -- Acting US Defense Secretary Mark Esper says he is seeking support from NATO allies to "close the door to conflict" with Iran.
- Russia: New US bans against Iran 'alarming,' could lead to dangerous scenario Press TV 25 Jun 2019 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov warns that the new round of US sanctions on Iran is "alarming," saying the bans signal that the situation amid Washington-Tehran tensions is headed towards a dangerous scenario.
- Iran set to begin suspending more nuclear commitments on July 7: Security chief Press TV 25 Jun 2019 -- Iran's top security official says the country is to begin suspending more of its commitments under a 2015 multilateral nuclear deal early next month, when a deadline set by Tehran for the other signatories to fulfill their side of the accord expires.
- Trump threatens Iran with 'obliteration' by US military Press TV 25 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has threatened Iran with "obliteration" if the country launches any attack on American forces in the Middle East region.
- 'Iran has sent a message!' Experts on downing of US drone Press TV 25 Jun 2019 -- Iran's downing of an advanced US spy drone with a missile last week shows that the Islamic Republic's air defense capabilities represent a serious challenge to America's oft-cited military superiority in the skies, experts say.
- Iran shot down US spy drone inside its airspace: Putin aide Press TV 25 Jun 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin's top security aide says Moscow has military intelligence indicating that a US spy drone was intruding into Iranian airspace when it was shot down by Iran's air defenses, despite Washington's claims to the contrary.
- US sanctions, other pressure will bring Iran to table, Bolton claims Press TV 25 Jun 2019 -- US National Security Advisor John Bolton has claimed that Washington's new sanctions and other pressure against Iran would lead it to enter negotiations with the United Sates.
- Bolton: US waiting for Iran at negotiating table despite new sanctions Press TV 25 Jun 2019 -- US National Security Advisor John Bolton says the United States is still looking forward to talks with Iran, even after President Donald Trump authorized sanctions against senior Iranian officials.
- Iran: New US bans mean permanent closure of path to diplomacy Press TV 25 Jun 2019 -- Tehran says the new set of American sanctions targeting the country's senior officials will permanently close any channel for diplomacy between the two sides.
- Rouhani: New bans expose US lie about seeking dialog with Iran Press TV 25 Jun 2019 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says the fresh American sanctions targeting the country's senior officials prove that Washington is lying about seeking to hold talks with Tehran.
- Germany, France, UK stress commitment to Iran deal Press TV 25 Jun 2019 -- The three European signatories to the Iran 2015 nuclear agreement reaffirm their resolve to save the deal despite America's unilateral withdrawal from the accord, describing the agreement as a "vita pillar" of "collective security."
- Trump Threatens 'Obliteration' As Iran Dismisses Sanctions RFE/RL 25 Jun 2019 -- Iran and the United States have traded insults, with Tehran accusing Washington of "lying" about its willingness to hold talks to steer the two nations away from military conflict, a statement President Donald Trump called "very ignorant and insulting."
- India Calls for Peace in Persian Gulf Amid Surging Iran-US Acrimony Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- A day after Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) shot down an American spy drone on 20 June, the Indian Navy decided to deploy warships and aircraft to the Gulf of Oman and the Persian Gulf, claiming the measure was to re-assure Indian flagged vessels travelling through the area.
- Tehran Slams Sanctions on Khamenei as Attack on Nation, as Trump Threatens Iran With 'Obliteration' Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- Tehran downed an American drone on 20 June after it violated the country's airspace, according to Iran. Washington claims that the drone was flying above neutral waters and later nearly launched strikes against the Islamic Republic in response to the destruction of the UAV.
- Iranian President Rouhani Says White House is 'Mentally Retarded' - State TV Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- Washington previously imposed restrictions on Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei and "those closely affiliated with him". US President Donald Trump has said he is responsible for "the hostile conduct" of Tehran towards the United States.
- Iran urges US to leave Persian Gulf, warns of certain states' "thirst for war" IRNA 25 Jun 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif called on the US to withdraw forces from the Persian Gulf, but warned against some regional countries' "thirst for war".
- Iran urges US to avoid military adventurism, stop 'economic terrorism' IRNA 25 Jun 2019 -- Iran's ambassador to the United Nations urged the US to stop its military adventures and economic terrorism against Tehran.
- Foreign Secretary calls for robust and independent investigation into the violent scenes in Hong Kong UK FCO 25 Jun 2019 -- Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt has called for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) Government to establish an investigation into the recent violence in Hong Kong.
- US Denounces China's Justification of Uighur Re-Education Camps VOA 25 Jun 2019 -- The United States has condemned efforts by China at the U.N. Human Rights Council to justify its incarceration of a reported million Uighurs and other ethnic minorities in 're-education' camps in Xinjiang Province.
- China launches 46th BDS satellite Global Times 25 Jun 2019 -- China successfully sent a new satellite into the space to join the country's home developed BeiDou Navigation Satellite System, or BDS.
- China launches new BeiDou satellite People's Daily 25 Jun 2019 -- China sent a new satellite of the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) into space from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in Sichuan Province at 2:09 a.m. Tuesday.
- SpaceX launches rocket with 24 satellites Global Times 25 Jun 2019 -- The US private space company SpaceX launched its rocket Falcon Heavy on Tuesday carrying 24 satellites into three different orbits in the "most difficult ever" mission.
- Air Force Research Laboratory prepares DSX spacecraft for launch US Air Force 25 Jun 2019 -- Air Force Research Laboratory engineers have completed the final assembly and integration of the Demonstration and Science Experiments, or DSX, spacecraft in preparation for its placement on the first-ever Department of Defense SpaceX Falcon Heavy launch vehicle.
- Fiance of Slain Journalist Khashoggi Calls for Global Criminal Probe VOA 25 Jun 2019 -- Murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi's fiance is urging the U.N. Human Rights Council to investigate his killing after a new report concluded Saudi Arabia is responsible.
- As Georgia's Relations With Russia Sour, Moscow Says Its Wine Has Too RFE/RL 25 Jun 2019 -- Critics say it's a tactic commonly applied by Russia to discipline its backyard. Russia insists politics has nothing to do with it.
- Ukrainian Delegation Bolts, Zelenskiy 'Disappointed' In Russia's Reinstatement To PACE RFE/RL 25 Jun 2019 -- Ukraine's delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) has walked out in protest and President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has voiced his "disappointment" over Russia having its voting rights reinstalled at the body after a three-year hiatus.
- Dmytro Firtash: Who Is The Ukrainian Tycoon Wanted By The U.S. On Bribery Charges? RFE/RL 25 Jun 2019 -- Dmytro Firtash, the Ukrainian power-broker that the United States is seeking to put on trial, built his massive fortune on opaque gas trading with a Kremlin-controlled company.
- Nothing Fishy In The Fish Can: Critics Slam Bulgarian Corruption Probe RFE/RL 25 Jun 2019 -- Bulgaria's Anti-Corruption Commission says it has found no conflict of interest in a property scandal that led four senior government officials to resign after they were found to have bought luxury apartments at discount prices.
- 'Northies' Has Crept Into The Macedonian Debate. Will It Ever Go Away? RFE/RL 25 Jun 2019 -- Even before Macedonians' decades-old spat with neighboring Greece was finally resolved earlier this year, the new name-calling had begun.
- Armenian Ex-President Kocharian Back In Custody RFE/RL 25 Jun 2019 -- Armenia's former president, Robert Kocharian, has returned to a detention center in Yerevan just hours after the country's Court of Appeal ordered his rearrest, overturning a ruling by a lower court.
- Former Armenian President Kocharyan to Appeal Rearrest Verdict - Attorney Sputnik 25 Jun 2019 -- The attorneys of former Armenian President Robert Kocharyan, prosecuted on charges of overthrowing the constitutional order during the 2008 political protests in his country, are going to appeal a recent court ruling to rearrest him, Elina Saakova, a spokesperson for Kocharyan's legal team, told Sputnik.
- Kyrgyz Prosecutor OKs Stripping Ex-President Atambaev Of Immunity RFE/RL 25 Jun 2019 -- The Kyrgyz Prosecutor-General's Office has approved a move by parliament to strip former President Almazbek Atambaev of his immunity from prosecution.
- Ethiopians Mourn Military Chief Slain in Coup Attempt VOA 25 Jun 2019 -- At a memorial service Tuesday, military leaders praised Ethiopia's slain military chief, Seare Mekonnen, and vowed to restore stability to the shaken country.
- Analysts Unsure Why General Killed Amhara Region President VOA 25 Jun 2019 -- As Ethiopia observed a national day of mourning following what the Prime Minister's office called an attempted regional coup in one of its regions, questions remain about the alleged mastermind of the attack and his motives.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|