24 June 2019 Military News
- USS Boxer ARG, 11th MEU Arrive in U.S. 5th Fleet CENTCOM 24 Jun 2019 -- The Boxer Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) and 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) arrived in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations, June 23, relieving the Kearsarge ARG and 22nd MEU.
- US Marine Corps Expeditionary Force Arrives Off Iran's Coast Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- The amphibious assault ship USS Boxer has arrived in the US Fifth Fleet's area of operations, the US Navy announced Monday. The ship and its battle group carry thousands of US Marines as well as strike aircraft and helicopters.
- Taliban Threaten Afghan Media Not To Air Government Ads Against The Militants RFE/RL 24 Jun 2019 -- The Taliban have issued a threat to Afghan media, saying journalists will be targeted unless news outlets stop broadcasting what they describe as government propaganda against the militants.
- Taliban Warns Afghan Media Against Airing Anti-Insurgency Ads VOA 24 Jun 2019 -- The Taliban has given radio stations and television channels in Afghanistan one week to stop broadcasting government-funded advertisements against the Islamist insurgent group.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Trump calls on countries to protect own ships in Strait of Hormuz Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has said that other countries, including China and Japan, should protect their own oil tankers in the Middle East, suggesting that the American military may withdraw from securing the Strait of Hormuz for international commerce.
- Battle Group Poland strengthens interoperability during Exercise Puma 19 Army News 24 Jun 2019 -- Battle Group Poland participated in the week-long, multinational Exercise PUMA 19, alongside Polish and Czech Republic units, at the Bemowo Piskie Training Area, Jun. 21.
- Army National Guard Soldiers return home from National Training Center Army News 24 Jun 2019 -- More than 4,500 Army National Guard and U.S. Army Reserve Soldiers returned home late last week after completing a month-long rotation at the U.S. Army's National Training Center at Fort Irwin, California, with the 116th Cavalry Brigade Combat Team. The large-scale exercise was the brigade's final training requirement in its four-year training cycle before it is available to complete a real-world mission in 2020.
- USS Ronald Reagan, JMSDF Conduct Bilateral Exercises NNS 24 Jun 2019 -- The Navy's forward-deployed aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) participated in bilateral exercises with Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) ships JS Izumo (DDH-183), JS Murasame (DD-101) and JS Akebono (DD-108) June 20.
- Naval Oceanography has Small Footprint, Big Impact at BALTOPS NNS 24 Jun 2019 -- With more than 18 nations, 50 surface ships, 36 aircraft, two submarines and 8,600 personnel involved in the 47th annual Baltic Operations (BALTOPS), the people of Naval Oceanography are easily overshadowed but their work fortifies the entire exercise.
- Lincoln Supply Department Performs During Replenishments-at-Sea NNS 24 Jun 2019 -- Supply Department works hard during replenishments-at-sea (RAS) to keep the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) mission-ready while underway for extended periods of time.
- Collaboration Between U.S. Navy, NOAA, and Global Space Agency Scientists Advances Monitoring and Forecasting of Tropical Cyclones NNS 24 Jun 2019 -- On the morning of October 7, 2018, forecasters at the National Hurricane Center (NHC) in Miami, Florida, began issuing advisories on the newly formed tropical depression Michael. Armed with an impressive observation network comprised of aircraft, radars, buoys, and state-of-the-art sensing technologies to monitor the system's position, intensity and size, the NHC's forecast track had Tyndall Air Force Base directly in its crosshairs.
- US Navy Carriers Getting Upgraded Precision Landing Systems Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- American defense contractor Raytheon was recently granted a four-year, $234.6 million contract from the US Navy in exchange for a low-rate initial production of 23 Joint Precision Approach and Landing Systems (JPALS) for the service's nuclear-powered aircraft carriers and amphibious assault ships.
- 815th Airlift Squadron delivers during Swift Response '19 US Air Force 24 Jun 2019 -- The troop doors open, the wind rushes through the C-130J Super Hercules and paratroopers await the commands of the jumpmasters before disappearing into the darkness.
- NATO Secretary General and Pakistan's Foreign Minister share views on NATO-Pakistan partnership, regional security and the peace process in Afghanistan NATO 24 Jun 2019 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg and Foreign Minister of Pakistan Shah Mahmood Qureshi met on Monday (24 June 2019) at NATO Headquarters to discuss a range of issues of mutual concern.
- Australia secretly planning to construct new port to accomodate US military forces: report Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Australia is reportedly working on a secret plan to construct a new deep-water port to accommodate US Marine deployments on its northern coast, a move that is aimed to counter China's growing presence in the region.
- Europe proves biggest spender on US arms: Report Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Europe proved to be the biggest spender on US-made arms last year, and is expected to retain a devouring appetite for the weapons in near future, shows one report.
- US sending missiles near Russia borders may repeat Cuban missile crisis: Russian deputy FM Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov says the US deployment of short or mid-range land-based missile systems in Eastern Europe and close to Russia's borders could trigger a dangerous standoff akin to the Cuban missile crisis, which occurred in the darkest moments of the Cold War.
- US Missile Deployment Near Russian Borders May Trigger Conflict Akin to Caribbean Crisis - Moscow Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- Washington has been mulling plans to deploy missiles to Europe following a unilateral decision to withdraw from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty in February 2019. Russia has repeatedly criticised such plans and vowed to deploy its own missiles, capable of reaching all parts of Europe in response.
- Russian Military Undergoing Op Readiness Check Amid Existing Terrorism-Related Threats Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- An unexpected operational readiness check has begun in the troops and forces from the Russian Central Military District upon order of Russian President Vladimir Putin, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Monday.
- Russian Military to Commission Cutting Edge 'Sosna' Air Defence System - Source Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- The Russian Defence Ministry will introduce the nation's newest anti-aircraft missile system "Sosna" into service, according to a source in the press service of the holding Vysokotochnye Kompleksy, part of the state corporation Rostec.
- Speculation rife about DF-17 after video shows hypersonic vehicle Global Times 24 Jun 2019 -- China's missile manufacturing giant showcased hypersonic boost-glide vehicles in a recent animated video, and media reports speculate that the weapon might be the DF-17 of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Rocket Force.
- One pilot dead as Eurofighter jets crash over eastern Germany Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- One pilot was killed after two Eurofighter warplanes crashed over northeastern Germany, N-TV television reported, while the pilot of the other jet was reported as having parachuted to safety.
- Two Euro Fighters Crash Into Each Other in Northern Germany - Reports Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- Media outlets have reported that the pilots were able to safely eject, but the crash has started a forest fire in the area. Rescue service troops have arrived at the site of the incident.
- India to Continue Flying An-32 Aircraft in Mountainous Areas: Air Force Chief Marshal Dhanoa Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- 13 Indian Air Force personnel perished in the Antonov An-32 twin-engine turboprop transport aircraft which went down on 3 June, including eight crew members and five passengers. Inclement weather and inaccessible terrain were a major obstacle in the rescue and retrieval operations.
- Iran downing of sophisticated US spy drone can be repeated: Khanzadi Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- The commander of the Iranian navy says the downing of an intruding American spy drone was a "crushing response" to the United States, warning that the Islamic Republic is always capable of repeating it.
- Iranian Navy Commander Says Downing of US Drone Can Be Repeated - Reports Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- On 20 June, Iran downed a US spy drone, stating that it had violated the Iranian border. The US military confirmed that the aircraft had been shot down, claiming, however, that it was flying in international airspace in the Strait of Hormuz.
- US cyber attacks on Iranian missile systems failed: Minister Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Iran says the recent US cyber attacks against Iranian missile control systems have failed to cause any disruptions.
- Dozens Injured As Massive Blast Hits Military Warehouse In South Kazakhstan RFE/RL 24 Jun 2019 -- Dozens of people have been injured and tens of thousands have been evacuated following a series of massive blasts at an ammunition warehouse in Kazakhstan's southern town of Arys, Kazakh authorities said.
- At least 70 Wounded by Munitions Depot Explosions in Kazakhstan Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- At the moment, firefighters can't put out the flames due to the blasts. The Kazakh National Guard has cordoned the affected area in order to prevent casualties.
- Turkey unfazed by US sanctions threats over S-400 deal: Cavusoglu Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says Ankara does not fear US sanctions over its decision to acquire advanced S-400 missile defense systems, adding that his country is discussing a delivery date with Russia.
- Turkey Says US Crackdown on Ankara Over S-400s Finds Little Support Among F-35 Programme Partners Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- Washington has been pressuring Ankara into abandoning the S-400 deal with Russia by threatening to stop deliveries of F-35 jets, despite Turkey's contribution to the project's funding and development. The US claims that the Russian air defence system can render the jet's stealth capabilities useless by passing data on it to Moscow.
- 24 June 2019 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 24 Jun 2019
- Don't take African generosity towards refugees for granted, says UN refugee chief UN News 24 Jun 2019 -- The international community must not take the generosity of Africans for granted, UN refugee chief, Filippo Grandi, told an informal meeting of Security Council members at UN Headquarters in New York on Monday.
- Houthi Attack on Abha Airport US Dept. of State 24 Jun 2019 -- "Yesterday, Iran-backed Houthi rebels launched a drone attack on the Abha airport in Saudi Arabia for the second time in less than two weeks."
- Statelessness for terrorists' families, never an acceptable option, urges UN rights chief UN News 24 Jun 2019 -- Thousands of suspected foreign ISIL terrorist fighters and their families who are being held in detention in Syria and Iraq, must be treated fairly by their captors and taken back by their home countries, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights said on Monday.
- UN's Bachelet: Denying Fair Trials Leads to Radicalization VOA 24 Jun 2019 -- U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet says all individuals suspected of crimes, even former Islamic State fighters, are entitled to due process guarantees. She warns failure to guarantee such risks further radicalization and violence.
- India says Kashmir separatists ready for talks Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- India says the leader of Kashmir's largest separatist group is ready for talks with New Delhi to resolve the conflict over the Himalayan valley.
- Pakistani Fighter Jet Never Entered Indian Air Space: Air Force Chief Dhanoa Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- The Pakistan Air Force claimed to have dropped bombs on 27 February in retaliation for the 26 February Indian airstrike on Balakot, Pakistan, reportedly to destroy the facilities of the terrorist group Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM).
- 'Palestinians Have the Ultimate Decision': Saudi Minister Adel Jubeir on US 'Deal of the Century' Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- The White House's 'deal of the century', aimed at ending the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, has yet to be unveiled in full but Palestinian representatives have nonetheless rejected it in advance, calling for a political solution.
- Netanyahu to Consider US Middle East Peace Offer 'Fairly And With Openness' Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- The White House rolled out an economic-incentives package dubbed "Peace to Prosperity" that it hopes will attract $50 billion in new investment in the West Bank, Gaza and neighboring countries. The project is part of US President Donald Trump's "deal of the century" to settle the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Government internet ban leaves parts of Myanmar 'in a blackout', UN expert calls for immediate lifting UN News 24 Jun 2019 -- With "no media access" in parts of the country and "serious restrictions" on humanitarian organizations, the United Nations expert on the situation of human rights in Myanmar urged the Government on Monday to "reverse its decision" and lift the mobile internet ban.
- Boko Haram terrorists kill 11 Chadian soldiers in Lake Chad Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Boko Haram terrorists have killed at least 11 Chadian soldiers in the Lake Chad region bordering Nigeria, Niger, Chad and Cameroon.
- 'Wanton destruction' in Sudan's Darfur region, 'blatant violation' of international law UN News 24 Jun 2019 -- The looting and destruction of UN food relief agency premises and property in Sudan, has prompted the UN-African Union mission in Darfur (UNAMID) and UN Country Team, to condemn the assault as a "blatant violation of international humanitarian law".
- US Moves Hundreds of Children from Suspect Detention Facility VOA 24 Jun 2019 -- Several hundred children, held in a U.S. border detention facility in Texas after entering the country without authorization, will be sheltered elsewhere, following a media report last week that described unsanitary living conditions and inadequate food and medical treatment at the facility.
- UN urges Sudan to halt 'repression' against protesters Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- UN human rights chief Michelle Bachelet has called on Sudanese military rulers to end "repression" against pro-democracy protesters and restore the country's severed Internet services.
- Sudan military council rejects Ethiopia's proposal for peace, accepts African Union's Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Sudan's military has rejected a proposal made by Ethiopian mediators and already accepted by the opposition coalition for the creation of a civilian transition body, and instead expressed gratitude to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE), both of whom are accused of backing the junta's crackdown against civilians.
- Georgia Ruling Party Head Announces Electoral Reform After Protests RFE/RL 24 Jun 2019 -- Georgia's ruling party has announced electoral changes in line with demands of protesters who have taken to the streets of the capital Tbilisi in the past days.
- Georgia Ruling Party Announces Reforms Amid Continued Protests VOA 24 Jun 2019 -- Thousands of protesters demonstrated in Georgia's capital for the fifth consecutive day Monday, calling for government reform, a snap election and the resignation of the nation's interior minister.
- Alleged Mastermind of Ethiopia State Coup Shot and Killed VOA 24 Jun 2019 -- The alleged leader of Saturday's coup attempt in Ethiopia's northern Amhara state has been shot and killed.
- Czechs Hold Mass Protest Against Prime Minister Babis RFE/RL 24 Jun 2019 -- Hundreds of thousands of protesters have rallied in Prague demanding that Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babis resign.
- Russian president extends food counter-sanctions against US, EU, allies until end of 2020 Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has extended a ban by Moscow on food product imports from the United States, the European Union and allies until the end of 2020, continuing its retaliation against the sanctions imposed on Russia over Ukraine.
- PACE To Vote On Reinstating Russia In Human Rights Body RFE/RL 24 Jun 2019 -- The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) may allow Russia to return to the continent's main human rights body in its opening summer session due to be held later on June 24.
- Trump says he sent North Korean leader 'friendly letter' Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump says he sent North Korean leader Kim Jong-un a "very friendly letter" in response to birthday greetings he received last week from Kim, even as the two countries remain at odds over the future of Pyongyang's nuclear program.
- Trump Says He Sent North Korean Leader 'Very Friendly Letter' VOA 24 Jun 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says the letter he sent North Korean leader Kim Jong Un was a "very friendly" response to a letter he received from Kim earlier this month wishing him a happy birthday.
- Committees for Election of Deputies to Province (Municipality), City (District) and County Assemblies Start Work in DPRK KCNA 24 Jun 2019 -- According to the DPRK's Law on the Elections of Deputies to the People's Assemblies at All Levels, election committees were organized at constituencies and sub-constituencies in every province (municipality), city (district) and county and started their work.
- Security Council urges 'maximum restraint' around Gulf region as Iran and United States trade diplomatic blows in New York UN News 24 Jun 2019 -- There is a need for "genuine regional dialogue" to address rising tensions in the Gulf, Iran's Ambassador to the United Nations said on Monday, calling on Secretary-General António Guterres "to play a role" in bringing countries to the table.
- Remarks by President Trump at Signing of Executive Order on Iran Sanctions The White House 24 Jun 2019
- President Donald J. Trump Is Imposing Sanctions on the Supreme Leader of Iran and the Worst Elements of the Iranian Regime The White House 24 Jun 2019
- Message to the Congress on Imposing Sanctions with Respect to Iran The White House 24 Jun 2019
- Trump Imposes New Iran Sanctions, Targeting its Supreme Leader VOA 24 Jun 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump imposed what he described as "hard-hitting" new financial sanctions on Iran Monday, specifically targeting the country's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
- Trump Announces New Iran Sanctions VOA 24 Jun 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has signed an executive order imposing fresh sanctions on Iran, seeking to put additional pressure on the country's economy in order to extract changes in behavior from its government.
- Britain Sharpens Tone Towards Iran VOA 24 Jun 2019 -- Britain appears to be moving closer to U.S. President Donald Trump's position on Iran and hardening its attitude towards Tehran – the result, diplomats say, partly of talks during the American leader's recent visit to London, but also because of aggressive Iranian actions.
- Executive Order to Impose Sanctions on the Office of the Supreme Leader of Iran US Dept. of State 24 Jun 2019 -- "Today, the White House issued an Executive Order sanctioning the Supreme Leaders Office and authorizing further sanctions on those associated with it."
- Treasury Targets Senior IRGC Commanders Behind Iran's Destructive and Destabilizing Activities US Treasury 24 Jun 2019 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) took action today against eight senior commanders of Navy, Aerospace, and Ground Forces of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC). These commanders sit atop a bureaucracy that supervises the IRGC's malicious regional activities, including its provocative ballistic missile program, harassment and sabotage of commercial vessels in international waters, and its destabilizing presence in Syria.
- Zarif : Iranian-made system shots US drone IRNA 24 Jun 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif stressed the fact that the air defense system which shot US spy drone down was Iranian-made.
- US coalition-making vs Iran has failed so far: FM spox IRNA 24 Jun 2019 -- US attempts to form a coalition against Iran are not new and have not prevailed, said Abbas Mousavi, the Foreign Ministry spokesman, in his weekly press conference on Monday.
- Iran will reduce commitments to JCPOA on schedule IRNA 24 Jun 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said on Monday that Iran will reduce commitments to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action to reciprocate failure of the states parties to JCPOA to honor their obligations and the economic terrorism the US has waged against Iran.
- Iran says has defused 33m cyber attacks in a year IRNA 24 Jun 2019 -- Iran's ICT Minister Mohammd-Javad Azari Jahromi said on Monday that national cyber defense shield defused 33 million cyber attacks in the past Iranian year (ended on March 20).
- Iran standing against sanctions, threats with full force: Zarif ISNA 24 Jun 2019 -- Iran's Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mohammad Javad Zarif said, "We are standing against the enemy's sanctions and threats with full power and will continue resistance".
- Iran to begin 2nd phase of reducing JCPOA commitments more seriously if Europe not take significant step: Mousavi ISNA 24 Jun 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman announced that Iran not only doesn't seek escalation of tensions in the region, but welcomes de-escalation of tensions.
- AEOI spokesman warns time getting over for Europe ISNA 24 Jun 2019 -- Spokesman of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) reminded the importance of honoring commitments to Iran nuclear deal by other parties, stressing on Iran's resolve to carry out a series of measures in accordance with the Articles 26 and 36 of the agreement.
- No more sanctions remain for US to impose on Iran: Foreign Ministry spokesman ISNA 24 Jun 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman stressed that US sanctions against Iran are only part of a propaganda campaign and US has already imposed every kind of sanctions it has been considering, and there is no more sanction remaining.
- New sanctions another sign of US disrespect for intl. law: Iran UN envoy Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Iran's ambassador to the UN asserts that the United States' new sanctions targeting the Islamic Republic's topmost authorities still serves to reflect Washington's disrespect for the international law.
- Iran increases refining capacity by %40 in 2 years Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Iranian authorities say sanctions on the country's oil industry has caused a boom in the refining sector as the capacity for turning crude into others products has increased by nearly 40 percent in the past two years.
- Iranians facing economic terrorism: Judiciary chief Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Iran's Judiciary chief says the Iranian people are currently facing "economic terrorism" as a result of the systematic violation of their rights by the United States.
- Trump imposes new harsh sanctions on Iran Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has announced new sanctions against Iran targeting the office of Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei, Iran's foreign minister and senior commanders of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC).
- IRGC forces bust terrorist cell in northwestern Iran Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Forces of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) have dismantled a four-member gang of terrorists in the country's northwestern border with Turkey.
- Iran minister dismisses reports on declined oil exports Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Iranian Oil Minister Bijan Namdar Zanganeh has dismissed as false reports claiming that the country's oil export decreased in June due to reinforcement of sanctions imposed by the United States.
- Europeans lack determination, power to implement JCPOA commitments: Iran FM Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says a request by the British Middle East minister to delay the implementation of Europeans' non-dollar mechanism for trade with Iran shows their lack of genuine determination to abide by their commitments as per a 2015 nuclear deal with the Islamic Republic.
- US sanctions, unilateralism, economic terrorism hamper anti-drug war: Iran FM Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the United States is the main impediment to the global drug war due to sanctions it has imposed on Iran, as the main country curbing the flow of traditional narcotics to the West.
- Anti-Iran coalition doomed to failure: Foreign Ministry Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Iran has dismissed attempts by the United States to form a coalition against the Islamic Republic, saying such measures are destined to fail.
- Russia to take measures against Washington's 'major' new sanctions on Iran Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Russia says it and its partners will take steps to counter new sanctions that US President Donald Trump has said it will impose on Iran Monday.
- Trump's New Sanctions On Iran Target Supreme Leader Khamenei RFE/RL 24 Jun 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order imposing "hard-hitting" sanctions on Iran, including on the office of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, as tensions between the two nations heat up.
- Pompeo Meets With Saudi Leaders For Iran Crisis Talks RFE/RL 24 Jun 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says he has discussed heightened tensions in the region with Saudi Arabia's King Salman during a June 24 meeting in Jeddah.
- US Treasury Secretary Announces Freezing of Iranian Assets, in billions of Dollars SPA 24 Jun 2019 -- US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said here that the new executive order signed by US President Donald Trump earlier today, which includes tough sanctions on Iran, would freeze billions of dollars of Iranian assets, thus further mounting pressure on Iran.
- US Slaps Iran's Supreme Leader Khamenei With 'Hard-Hitting' Sanctions Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- The US president announced that major sanctions would be put on Iran soon after he stopped the strikes on targets in the Islamic Republic, which were supposed to be a response for the downing of an American drone.
- US Defence Intel Chief: Iran Likely at 'Inflection Point,' Seeks 'Status Quo' Change Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- According to the top US military intelligence officer, Iran is experiencing economic hardships due to US sanctions and its actions are a sign of Tehran's attempt to change the situation it's currently in.
- Trump on Iran Nuclear Deal: 'I Don't Care About Europeans' Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump said in an interview that he is interested in direct talks with Iran without preconditions. At the same time, he dismissed the European point of view that Tehran is complying with the 2015 nuclear deal, arguing that it is EU business interests talking.
- Chinese FM slams US religious freedom report, says it slanders China's Xinjiang policies Global Times 24 Jun 2019 -- Chinese foreign ministry on Monday slammed the newly released religious freedom report of the US which criticizes China's Xinjiang policies, urging the US to stop slandering and using religion and Xinjiang issues to interfere in China's domesic affairs.
- Self-reforming CPC walks confidently on charted path Global Times 24 Jun 2019 -- The 98-year-old Communist Party of China (CPC) is taking new strides in improving and reforming itself to stay vigorous as the People's Republic of China celebrates its 70th anniversary.
- UN: Hong Kong Should Consult Broadly on Extradition Bill VOA 24 Jun 2019 -- The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights is urging Hong Kong authorities to "consult broadly before passing or amending" an extradition bill or "any other legislation," as protests in the autonomous territory continue.
- Opposition Victory Shows Turkey Still Capable of Competitive Elections VOA 24 Jun 2019 -- Turkey's opposition victory in the Istanbul mayoral election was officially ratified Monday, with analysts saying it shows the country is still capable of having competitive elections.
- Turkey puts 16 public figures on trial for 2013 anti-government protests Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Turkey has put on trial 16 high-profile figures accused of involvement in acts of "terror" and trying to overthrow the government of then-Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan in 2013 nationwide protests.
- Erdogan Congratulates Opposition Candidate Imamoglu After Istanbul Mayoral Victory Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- In May, Ekrem Imamoglu won mayoral elections in Istanbul, but rival Binali Yildirim contested the results, and a new round was scheduled for 23 June. Following the second vote, Imamoglu won by an even larger margin.
- Jailed Gulnara Karimova Asks Mirziyoev For Clemency RFE/RL 24 Jun 2019 -- Gulnara Karimova, the eldest daughter of the late president of Uzbekistan, who is serving a prison term on corruption charges, has asked President Shavkat Mirziyoev for clemency.
- Switzerland Says $133 Million Belonging To Gulnara Karimova To Be Sent To Uzbekistan RFE/RL 24 Jun 2019 -- Switzerland said it would send $133 million in seized assets linked to Gulnara Karimova to Uzbekistan, amid a continuing international struggle over the fate of more than a billion dollars tied to the elder daughter of the late president of Uzbekistan.
- Mauritania Ruling Party Candidate Wins Presidential Election - Report Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- Mauritania's electoral commission announced Sunday that ruling party candidate Mohamed Ould Ghazouani had won the presidential election with 52 percent of the vote, Reuters reported. His nearest rival, anti-slavery campaigner Biram Dah Abeid, came reportedly second with 18.58 percent.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|