23 June 2019 Military News
- Afghans Remain Skeptical About U.S.-Taliban Talks VOA 23 Jun 2019 -- Senior government and opposition leaders in Afghanistan have warned that armed hostilities in the country will continue if ongoing negotiations between the United States and the Taliban fail to jump-start a sustainable intra-Afghan peace dialogue.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Lockheed Tries to Catch Up With Announced European 'Sixth-Gen' Fighters by Vowing F-35 Upgrades Sputnik 23 Jun 2019 -- European countries have recently revealed their progress in creating sixth-generation fighter jets showcasing the Future Air Combat System suite of weapons at the Paris Air Show this week.
- Chinese military tests long-range, heavy aerial delivery with unmanned transport aircraft Global Times 23 Jun 2019 -- Chinese military analysts predicted on Sunday that more unmanned transport aircraft could join the Chinese military logistics arsenal for long-range and heavy delivery in the future, as the Chinese military recently made breakthroughs in the heavy cargo delivery exercise with an unmanned transport plane.
- Indian Navy 'Hunted' for 'Missing' Pakistani Submarine for 3 Weeks - Report Sputnik 23 Jun 2019 -- In March, the Indian Navy deployed over 60 ships, including an aircraft carrier and nuclear submarines near Pakistani waters in the Arabian Sea to "prevent and deter any misadventure" by Islamabad following the 14 February attack in Pulwama allegedly claimed by the Pakistani-based Jaish-e Mohammad that killed about 40 Indian soldiers.
- Top Iranian Commander Issues Stark Warning to US: 'Protect Lives of American Troops' Sputnik 23 Jun 2019 -- The warning comes several days after US President Donald Trump approved and abruptly called off a strike on Iran minutes prior to the launch as long-running tensions between the two countries nearly escalated into a direct confrontation.
- Iran, Iraq willing to improve bilateral defense cooperation ISNA 23 Jun 2019 -- Commander of Khatam al-Anbia Air Defense Base, Brigadier General Alireza Sabahi Fard held a meeting with Iraqi deputy Commander of Army Major General Tariq Abbas Ibrahim Abdul Hussain on Sunday.
- Iraq seeks air defense cooperation with Iran after IRGC downing of US drone Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- Iraq has called for enhanced cooperation with neighboring Iran in the area of air defense, days after Tehran successfully thwarted an American spying mission by downing a sophisticated surveillance drone over Iranian territorial waters.
- Iraq eager to cooperate with Iran in air defense IRNA 23 Jun 2019 -- Senior official at the Iraqi Army called here Sunday for gaining access to the Iranian expertise in the air defense area and also in conducting electronic war.
- UK Sends Elite Commandos, Divers to Iranian Shores as Tensions Spike – Reports Sputnik 23 Jun 2019 -- The reports about the UK deployment come against the backdrop of British Minister for the Middle East Andrew Murrison's visit to Iran to de-escalate tensions.
- Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo Remarks to Press US Dept. of State 23 Jun 2019 -- Remarks by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- Statement by Saudi Arabia, the UAE, the UK and the US about the situation in Yemen and the region UK FCO 23 Jun 2019 -- The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and the United States of America have expressed their concern over escalating tensions in the region.
- One killed, eight wounded in fresh Yemeni drone attack on Abha Airport Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- The Yemeni armed forces have launched fresh retaliatory attacks on Abha and Jizan airports in southern Saudi Arabia, leaving multiple casualties.
- Yemeni forces shoot down 3rd Saudi-led spy drone as retaliatory attacks rise Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- Yemeni army forces, supported by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have intercepted and targeted another unmanned aerial vehicle belonging to the Saudi-led military coalition in the skies over Saudi Arabia's southwestern border region of Najran in retaliation for the alliance's atrocious military aggression against their impoverished country.
- Yemen's Houthi Faction Claims Responsibility for Drone Attack on Saudi Arabia's Abha, Jizan Airports Sputnik 23 Jun 2019 -- The Saudi Arabian city of Abha was targeted in a drone attack for the second time this month, Al Masirah TV reported, citing a military source.
- Saudis: Yemeni Rebel Attack on Saudi Airport Kills 1, Wounds 7 VOA 23 Jun 2019 -- A Yemeni Houthi rebel attack on an airport in southern Saudi Arabia has killed one civilian and wounded seven others, the Saudi-led military coalition said Sunday.
- Analysts: New Rebel Offensive May Further Complicate Syria's Conflict VOA 23 Jun 2019 -- Syrian rebel groups have launched a major offensive this week against government troops in a Syrian province in what is seen by analysts as a new twist to the ongoing conflict in the northwestern part of the country.
- Turkish forces 'neutralize' 58 Kurdish PKK terrorists in northern Iraq: Defense Ministry Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- Turkish security forces have "neutralized" nearly 60 members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group in a string of artillery strikes and air raids followed by operations by commando brigades in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Kushner's economic plan for Mideast amounts to Balfour Declaration II, Palestinians say Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- The Palestinian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates has dismissed US President Donald Trump's economic vision as part of the proposal for "peace" between the Israeli regime and Palestinians, dubbed "the deal of the century," describing it as a new version of the Balfour Declaration.
- Palestine rejects US economic revival plan as 'illusion' Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- Palestinian Finance Minister Shukri Bishara has rejected the recently-released details about the economic section of a US-devised plan on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict as an "illusion" that will fail to bring about peace.
- Abbas rejects Trump's Palestine deal as 'humiliating blackmail' Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas once again rejects as "a humiliating blackmail" US President Donald Trump's upcoming deal on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict hours after Washington released details about the economic aspect of the highly-controversial plan.
- PLO, Hamas Representatives Reject Kushner Peace Plan - Report Sputnik 23 Jun 2019 -- According to the representatives, the only solution to the ongoing Palestinian-Israeli conflict is for Israel to leave Palestinians to themselves and remove all obstacles to their existence and trade. The entirety of the US peace plan for the Middle East will be presented later next week.
- ASEAN avoids condemning Myanmar for Rohingya plight Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) has failed to condemn member state Myanmar for its massive purge of Rohingya Muslims from the country despite calls from rights campaigners and other members that the massacres and atrocities against the minority group should not go unnoticed.
- Trump: 'Every Last Chance' for Democrats to Reach Immigration Deal VOA 23 Jun 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Sunday he wants to give opposition Democratic lawmakers "every last chance" to stiffen the country's asylum laws and immigration policies before launching nationwide raids to deport undocumented migrants.
- Opposition candidate leads in Istanbul's mayoral vote: Early results Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- Early results from the re-run of Istanbul's mayoral election shows that Ekrem Imamoglu, from Turkey's Republican People's Party (CHP), has defeated Binali Yildirim, from President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's ruling AK Party.
- Opposition Candidate Wins Istanbul Mayoral Seat VOA 23 Jun 2019 -- Turkey's opposition won decisively in the controversial re-vote in the Istanbul mayoral election. The victory is a significant defeat for President Recep Tayyip Erdogan who lost his Istanbul power base of 25 years.
- Istanbul Votes Again in Key Ballot VOA 23 Jun 2019 -- Residents of Turkey's largest city, Istanbul, voted again after the opposition's historic victory ending 25 years of dominance by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was annulled.
- 6 military, police officials arrested in Venezuela: Report Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- Reports from Venezuela have suggested that six high-ranking police and military officials have been arrested with no immediate confirmation available from the government.
- Sudanese protesters accept Ethiopian initiative to end political crisis Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- Sudanese protest leaders have agreed with a proposal set forth by Ethiopian mediators aiming to end the months-long unrest in the African country.
- Assassinations in Ethiopia amidst regional 'coup' attempt, condemned by UN chief UN News 23 Jun 2019 -- The assassination of the chief of staff of the Ethiopian army and killing of a regional governor in what the Government has described as a regional coup attempt, has been condemned by the UN Secretary-General.
- Rally In Moscow Denounces Fabricated Cases Against Activists, Journalists RFE/RL 23 Jun 2019 -- Hundreds of people attended a sanctioned rally in the Russian capital on June 23 to denounce what they called fabricated cases against activists and journalists.
- DRPK leader Kim Jong Un receives letter from Trump Global Times 23 Jun 2019 -- Top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Kim Jong Un has received a personal letter from U.S. President Donald Trump, the country's official Korean Central News Agency reported on Sunday.
- North Korea's Kim receives 'excellent' letter from Trump: KCNA Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- North Korea says its leader Kim Jong-un has received a personal letter of "excellent content" from US President Donald Trump amid a stalemate in nuclear talks between Pyongyang and Washington.
- Experts: Xi-Kim Talks Without Denuclearization Road Map Are Just Talk VOA 23 Jun 2019 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping may have encouraged North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to renew talks with the U.S. during his recent visit to Pyongyang, but without a concrete road map for denuclearization, diplomacy is meaningless, experts say.
- Kim Jong Un Praises 'Excellent' Letter From Trump VOA 23 Jun 2019 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has received a personal letter from U.S. President Donald Trump and is contemplating its contents, North Korean state media reported Sunday.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Receives Personal Letter from U.S. President Donald Trump KCNA 23 Jun 2019 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea, chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and supreme commander of the armed forces of the DPRK, received a personal letter from President of the United States of America Donald Trump.
- Trump: 'Not Looking for War' With Iran VOA 23 Jun 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he is "not looking for war" with Iran and willing to negotiate with its leaders without preconditions, but that under no circumstances can the Islamic Republic be allowed to mass a nuclear weapons arsenal.
- US to impose major sanctions against Iran on Monday: Trump Global Times 23 Jun 2019 -- President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the United States would impose major additional sanctions against Iran on Monday.
- New US sanctions on Iran to destabilize region Global Times 23 Jun 2019 -- The latest US sanctions on Iran will only worsen safety and stability in the Middle East, so China should take active measures to ensure its economic interests and stability in this region, experts said.
- Military action against Iran still on table: Trump Global Times 23 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the United States would impose additional sanctions against Iran, adding that military action is still on the table.
- Official: Iran serious in its JCPOA decisions IRNA 23 Jun 2019 -- President of Iran's Strategic Council Kamal Kharrazi said after the end of the 60-day moratorium to the three European Union countries Iran will take serious strides, adding that the Iranian officials are serious in their decisions.
- Zarif says talks underway over monetary agreements IRNA 23 Jun 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says negotiations are "underway" with other countries over monetary agreements.
- B_Team was moments away from trapping Trump into a war: Zarif ISNA 23 Jun 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif said B_Team was moments away from trapping US President into a war, presenting new evidence of US spy drone's encroachment into the Iranian airspace.
- Pompeo visiting Saudi, Emirates to seek 'global coalition' against Iran Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says he is visiting Saudi Arabia and UAE after Iran shot down a US drone violating its airspace, stating that he is seeking a "global coalition" against Tehran.
- Iran to suspend more JCPOA commitments if other parties fail to act: Official Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- A senior Iranian official has taken to task European signatories to a historic 2015 nuclear agreement for failing to fulfill their obligations, vowing that the Islamic Republic would suspend more commitments if they do not act seriously as per the accord.
- Bolton says US move in calling off Iran attacks sign of prudence, not weakness Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- US National Security Adviser John Bolton, a known Iran hawk, the last minute decision by his country to scrap planned strikes on Iran was a sign of prudence rather than weakness.
- UN warns against 'escalation' of tensions in Persian Gulf Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- The United Nations (UN)'s Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has warned against "any form of escalation" in the Persian Gulf, amid threats of military strikes by the United States against Iran.
- B-Team tried to trap Trump into war with Iran, prudence prevented it: FM Zarif Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says a recent incident in which a US spy drone encroached on the Iranian territory in the Sea of Oman was the extension of previous efforts by the B-Team to drag US President Donald Trump into a war with Iran.
- Rouhani: US drone intrusion beginning of new tension in region Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says the recent encroachment on the Islamic Republic's airspace by a US spy drone is the "beginning of new tension in the region."
- Iranian lawmakers praise IRGC for shooting down intruding US spy drone Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- Iranian lawmakers have praised the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) for shooting down a trespassing American surveillance drone over the country's southern territorial waters.
- US must act responsibly to protect lives of its forces: Senior Iranian commander Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- A senior Iranian commander warns the United States to "act responsibility" in the region to protect the lives of American forces operating there.
- Pompeo accuses Iran of 'violence' after Iran shoots down US spy drone Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has accused Iran of "violence and disinformation" after Iran shoots down an American state-of-the-art spy drone over its territorial waters, repeating claims without evidence that the aircraft was targeted over international waters.
- Bolton Says U.S. 'Prudence' On Iran Isn't Weakness RFE/RL 23 Jun 2019 -- U.S. national security adviser John Bolton says Iran should not "mistake U.S. prudence and discretion for weakness."
- US envoy for Iran: US won't allow threats to trade, navigation in Gulf SPA 23 Jun 2019 -- US Special Representative for Iran Brian Hook has affirmed to Tehran that his country will not allow threats to trade and navigation routes in the Gulf region.
- Iranian President Urges International Bodies to Respond to US 'Aggressive' Moves in Region Sputnik 23 Jun 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has urged international organisations to react to Washington's aggressive moves following an incident with the US drone downed by Tehran.
- Netanyahu 'Pleased to Hear' About 'Crippling' New US Sanctions on Iran Sputnik 23 Jun 2019 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has welcomed Washington's intentions to impose additional sanctions on Iran.
- Trump's National Security Adviser Bolton Warns Iran: US Military 'Ready to Go' Sputnik 23 Jun 2019 -- Bolton arrived in Israel after US President Donald Trump claimed he had "stopped" an airstrike against the Islamic Republic on Thursday night just ten minutes before it was slated to occur.
- Trump Snubbed National Security Team Over Iran Strikes: 'They Want to Push Us Into War' - Reports Sputnik 23 Jun 2019 -- It was earlier reported that while President Donald Trump had "agonised" over a decision whether to attack Iran over a downed US drone, his team, including Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, National Security Adviser John Bolton and CIA Director Gina Haspel, incited him to unleash fire and fury on the Islamic Republic.
- US, Iran Engage in Tit-For-Tat Cyber Attacks Amid Escalating Tensions – Reports Sputnik 23 Jun 2019 -- The two nations are said to have a long history of mutual cyberattacks, with the notorious Stuxnet attack on Iranian nuclear centrifuges being arguably the most famous example.
- US to Increase Diplomatic Isolation, Economic Pressure on Iran - Pompeo Sputnik 23 Jun 2019 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced the creation of a global task force to enhance supervision of Iran-based financial entities, citing alleged money laundering conducted by Tehran.
- Trump rejects UN request for FBI probe into Khashoggi's murder to save weapons sales Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has rejected a United Nations (UN) request for the FBI to investigate the brutal murder of Saudi Arabian journalist Jamal Khashoggi, expressing concern that the move would affect America's trade with the kingdom.
- India Dismisses US Religious Freedom Report VOA 23 Jun 2019 -- India says it is proud of its secular credentials as it rejected a U.S. report that said that religious freedom in the country has come under attack in recent years.
- The Women Who Came Home: Kazakhstan Tries To Rehabilitate Islamic State Returnees RFE/RL 23 Jun 2019 -- Freshly returned from Syria to Kazakhstan, 24-year-old Zarina says she is taking one day at a time and has no clear plan for the future.
- Ethiopia PM Says Nation's Army Chief of Staff Shot - Reports Sputnik 23 Jun 2019 -- Ethiopia's Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed said Sunday that the army chief of staff Seare Mekonnen had been shot, however, his condition remains unknown after unrest erupted in the country, AFP reported, citing local media.
- Protests Resume In Georgian Capital For Fourth Night RFE/RL 23 Jun 2019 -- Thousands of demonstrators have gathered for a fourth day in the Georgian capital, Tbilisi, calling for the resignations of some top officials and early elections.
- Ruling Party Candidate Declares Victory in Mauritania VOA 23 Jun 2019 -- Mauritania's ruling party candidate Mohammed Ould Ghazouani has won an absolute majority of votes in the country's presidential election, the electoral commission said Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|