09 June 2019 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Boxer and Charles de Gaulle Sail in Andaman Sea NNS 09 Jun 2019 -- Amphibious assault ship USS Boxer (LHD 4) and French navy aircraft carrier, FS Charles de Gaulle (R 91), and its escort ships conducted drills while sailing through the Bay of Bengal, June 7.
- US Redeploys Electronic Warfare Attack Plane to Poland to Conduct Joint Drills Sputnik 09 Jun 2019 -- Previous reports suggested that the US and Poland are close to inking a deal to deploy an additional 1,000 American troops to the European state. Warsaw has been seeking such a deployment since September 2018, offering to build a separate military base called Fort Trump to accommodate the soldiers.
- Iran Says Europe In No Position To Criticize Its Military Capabilities RFE/RL 09 Jun 2019 -- Ahead of a trip to Tehran by Germany's foreign minister, Iran's top diplomat, Mohammad Javad Zarif, told European countries not to criticize the Islamic republic for seeking to bolster its military capabilities.
- Iran unveils new sophisticated air defense system IRNA 09 Jun 2019 -- Iran's Defense Ministry on Sunday unveiled a new home-made advanced air defense system enabling to simultaneously hit six high-altitude targets.
- Iran unveils new advanced air defense system ISNA 09 Jun 2019 -- Iran unveiled a new advanced air defense system dubbed "Khordad 15", designed and produced by domestic scientists and experts of Aerospace Industries Organization of Ministry of Defence and Armed Forces Logistics.
- Iran unveils new indigenous air defense system Press TV 09 Jun 2019 -- Iran has unveiled a domestically-designed and -manufactured air defense system capable of simultaneously destroying six incoming hostile targets.
- Iran Unveils New Air Defence System Capable of Intercepting 6 Targets at Once - Reports Sputnik 09 Jun 2019 -- The Iranian Defence Ministry has presented its new domestically-designed air defence system Khordad 15 capable of shooting down six targets at the same time, the Tasnim news agency reported, citing Iranian Defense Minister Brig. Gen. Amir Hatami.
- Brazil Runs Tests of Its Brand New Military Plane at US Army Range Sputnik 09 Jun 2019 -- The Brazilian Air Force already visited the Yuma Proving Ground (YPG) in the US a month ago to run a series of low-altitude cargo extraction tests as part of a certification process for their new cargo plane.
- 'US Institutions Don't Take Into Account Trump-Erdogan Agreements' Over Russia S-400 Deal - Report Sputnik 09 Jun 2019 -- Tensions between the United States and Turkey have further escalated in recent months, with Ankara set to begin receiving potent and highly sophisticated Russian S-400 surface-to-air missile (SAM) systems next month.
- Raytheon and United Technologies Aerospace Businesses to Combine in Merger of Equals Raytheon - United Technologies 09 Jun 2019 -- Raytheon Company and United Technologies Corp. have entered into an agreement to combine in an all-stock merger of equals. The transaction will create a premier systems provider with advanced technologies to address rapidly growing segments within aerospace and defense.
- Raytheon, United Technologies Announce Merger Sputnik 09 Jun 2019 -- The all-stock deal will merge Raytheon with United Technologies' aerospace unit that would combine the aviation and defence sectors, bringing the two major US-based defence suppliers under one roof.
- Enemies' airports will be targeted until Sana'a siege ends: Ansarullah Press TV 09 Jun 2019 -- The spokesman for Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement says the airports of countries involved in the devastating military aggression and blockade against his impoverished homeland will be targeted as long as the embargo imposed by the Saudi-led coalition on Sana'a International Airport remains in place.
- Yemen conducts drone attacks on Saudi Arabia's Jizan airport Press TV 09 Jun 2019 -- Yemeni armed forces have launched fresh drone attacks on the airport in Saudi Arabia's southwestern Jizan region.
- Multiple Drones Attack Saudi Arabia's Jizan Airport - Report Sputnik 09 Jun 2019 -- Multiple unmanned air vehicles have attacked the airport in the city of Jizan, Saudi Arabia, Reuters reported citing the TV channel Al-Masirah.
- Security forces neutralize 'wanted' PKK terrorist in southeastern Turkey Press TV 09 Jun 2019 -- Turkish security forces have killed a prominent member of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group during a counter-terrorism operation in the country's Kurdish-populated southeastern province of Diyarbakir.
- Hamas slams US envoy for condoning Israeli settlements Press TV 09 Jun 2019 -- The Palestinian resistance movement Hamas has condemned US envoy for his remarks condoning Israel's expansionist policy on illegal settlements, saying they reflect Washington's extremist view on the issue.
- Trump, Mexico's Lopez Obrador Tout Migrant Accord VOA 09 Jun 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump and Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador are touting an accord to reduce the flow of Central American migrants to the U.S.-Mexico border – a deal that led Trump to suspend threatened tariffs on Mexican exports to the United States. Many Republican lawmakers are expressing relief while Democrats are contesting Trump's claims of victory.
- Mexican President Says Immigration Deal with US Will Protect Migrant Rights VOA 09 Jun 2019 -- Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador rallied thousands of supporters in the northern border city of Tijuana on Saturday, saying that a new immigration deal with the United States would protect the human rights of migrants and maintain friendly ties with U.S.
- Trump's Mexico Deal Based on Agreement Reached Long Time Ago – Report Sputnik 09 Jun 2019 -- According to the document, Mexico will deploy 6,000 National Guard troops to stop thousands of Central American migrants from travelling across the country to enter US territory illegally, among other provisions.
- Mexican President Vows to Collaborate With US, Including on 'Migratory Phenomenon' - Report Sputnik 09 Jun 2019 -- Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said Saturday that Mexico has no intention of harming the United States, stressing that his country will collaborate with Washington on all areas, especially on 'the migratory phenomenon', Reuters reported.
- White House blocked climate change testimony warning: Report Press TV 09 Jun 2019 -- The White House has blocked a State Department's climate testimony warning of a "possibly catastrophic" future because it did not jibe with President Donald Trump's policy, a report says.
- Four killed on first day of Sudan 'civil disobedience' campaign, doctors say Press TV 09 Jun 2019 -- At least four people have been killed across Sudan on the first day of a "civil disobedience" campaign, which was launched in the wake of a deadly crackdown on protesters by the ruling generals.
- Sudan military attacks protesters as civil disobedience begins Press TV 09 Jun 2019 -- Sudan's military forces have fired tear gas at protesters after they began a civil disobedience campaign, called in the wake of a deadly crackdown on demonstrators.
- Sudan Police Fire Tear Gas to Break Up Protests VOA 09 Jun 2019 -- Sudanese police fired tear gas to disperse protesters in Sudan's capital Khartoum during a civil disobedience campaign to demand civilian rule.
- Leader Of Merkel's CDU Rejects Call To Ease Sanctions On Russia RFE/RL 09 Jun 2019 -- The leader of German Chancellor Angela Merkel's Christian Democrats (CDU) has rejected a call by a fellow party member to ease sanctions pressure on Russia, saying they should remain until Moscow changes its behavior in Crimea and eastern Ukraine.
- IAAF Extends Ban on Russian Track And Field Athletes Over Doping 'Backsliding' RFE/RL 09 Jun 2019 -- The governing body for world track and field has said a ban on Russian athletes is being extended amid concerns that the country was "backsliding" on reforms to its anti-doping programs.
- Zarif says US maximum pressure indicates desperation IRNA 09 Jun 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Sunday that the US maximum pressure indicates desperation of the White House, affirming that Tehran will overcome the maximum pressure.
- Zarif says EU is obliged to open way for Iran economy IRNA 09 Jun 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Javad Zarif said Sunday that the EU is obliged to open the way for Iranian economic activities in accordance with the nuclear deal.
- Europeans not in position to criticize Iran: Zarif ISNA 09 Jun 2019 -- Iranian Minister of Foreign Affairs Mohamad Javad Zarif stressed that Europeans are not in a position to criticize Iran.
- Iran, US must open doors to de-escalation in row: Qatar FM Press TV 09 Jun 2019 -- Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman al-Thani warns that rising tensions between Iran and the United States will be detrimental to all countries in the Middle East, urging both sides to meet and find a compromise to de-escalate their row.
- Protesters Fill Hong Kong Streets Over Proposed Extradition Law VOA 09 Jun 2019 -- Hundreds of thousands of Hong Kongers from all ages and walks of life marched on Sunday against a legislative bill that would allow people to be extradited to mainland China to face charges, in the largest demonstration city has seen in years.
- Hong Kong students in Taiwan protest against extradition bill CNA 09 Jun 2019 -- Hundreds of Hong Kong students gathered in front of the Hong Kong representative office in Taipei Sunday to express their objection to a proposed bill in Hong Kong that would allow the extradition of crime suspects to China for trial.
- China on watch as Hong Kong takes up extradition bill Press TV 09 Jun 2019 -- Demonstrators have taken to the streets of Hong Kong to protest a proposed law that would allow suspects to be transferred and tried in courts of law on mainland China.
- China gears up to use rare-earth advantage Global Times 09 Jun 2019 -- A series of policies, including environmental enforcement and stricter export management aiming to regulate and upgrade the country's rare-earth industry, are expected to be rolled out soon, industry insiders said on Sunday, as China's top economic planner made a rare move by holding three meetings to solicit opinions from rare-earth industry regulators and businesses within just two days.
- China warns tech firms of 'dire consequences' if they follow US ban Press TV 09 Jun 2019 -- China has summoned major technology companies and warned them of "dire consequences" if they comply with US efforts to ban sales of technology to Chinese companies, a US paper says.
- Indian Prime Minister Visits Maldives, Sri Lanka VOA 09 Jun 2019 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid homage to the victims of deadly Easter suicide attacks by Islamist militants in Colombo as he called for global efforts to tackle the threat of terrorism during a visit to two tiny Indian Ocean countries, the Maldives and Sri Lanka.
- Police 'arrest hundreds' as Kazakhs elect new president Press TV 09 Jun 2019 -- Police in Kazakhstan have reportedly arrested hundreds of opposition protesters at presidential election polls in the Central Asian country.
- Hundreds Detained In Kazakhstan As Nazarbaev's Chosen Presidential Successor Leads Exit Poll RFE/RL 09 Jun 2019 -- The first exit-poll results from Kazakhstan point to an overwhelming victory for interim President Qasym-Zhomart Toqaev, who was handpicked by former authoritarian President Nursultan Nazarbaev to be his successor.
- Kassym Tokayev Wins Kazakh Presidential Election by Landslide of Some 70% Of Votes - Exit Polls Sputnik 09 Jun 2019 -- The voter turnout in Sunday's presidential election in Kazakhstan amounted to 77.4 per cent, the country's central election commission said.
- Hundreds Arrested in Kazakhstan Election Protests VOA 09 Jun 2019 -- Police in Kazakhstan have arrested about 500 protesters marching against Sunday's early presidential election that they call illegal.
- Moldovan Elections US Dept. of State 09 Jun 2019
- Statement by the NATO Spokesperson on the situation in the Republic of Moldova NATO 09 Jun 2019 -- NATO is following with concern the political crisis in the Republic of Moldova. We call on all political forces in the country to exercise calm and restraint, and to resolve their differences through dialogue, in full respect of the rule of law.
- Moldova's Interim Leader Dissolves Parliament, Calls Snap Elections RFE/RL 09 Jun 2019 -- Moldova has plunged deeper into political crisis after the country's top court suspended President Igor Dodon and his appointed replacement dissolved parliament and called for snap elections.
- Moldovan Court Ousts President, New Elections Called VOA 09 Jun 2019 -- Moldova has plunged deeper into political crisis after the Constitutional Court stripped pro-Russian President Igor Dodon of his power over his failure to form a new government after months of political deadlock.
- Albania's President Cancels Local Elections, A Move Rejected By Prime Minister RFE/RL 09 Jun 2019 -- Albania's president says he is canceling upcoming municipal elections, asserting that conditions for a democratic vote are not present -- a move immediately rejected by the country's prime minister.
- Haiti Rocked by Mass Anti-Graft Rallies; 1 Dead VOA 09 Jun 2019 -- Gunfire caused panic in the streets of downtown Port-au-Prince, Haiti's capital, Sunday, and at least one person was reported killed as thousands protested against government corruption.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|