08 June 2019 Military News
- ICC prosecutor challenges court's rejection of probe into US war crimes in Afghanistan Press TV 08 Jun 2019 -- The International Criminal Court's (ICC) chief prosecutor has filed an appeal challenging the court's rejection of a probe into war crimes in Afghanistan by invading US forces, local Afghan troops as well as Taliban and other militant groups.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Corps' moving forward with full-rate production of G/ATOR system USMC News 08 Jun 2019 -- The Marine Corps has reached another acquisition milestone decision by gaining approval for full-rate production of the AN/TPS-80 Ground/Air Task-Oriented Radar system from the Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Research, Development and Acquisition on May 23, 2019. The G/ATOR system combines five legacy radar systems into a single, modernized solution with multiple operational capabilities, providing Marines with comprehensive situational awareness of everything in the sky.
- SWRMC Completes On Time Delivery of USS Pearl Harbor from Availability NNS 08 Jun 2019 -- Southwest Regional Maintenance Center (SWRMC) supported Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) on-time delivery goal with the completion of USS Pearl Harbor's (LSD 52) availability on May 31.
- USS Boxer and FS Charles de Gaulle Sail in the Andaman Sea NNS 08 Jun 2019 -- Amphibious assault ship USS Boxer (LHD 4) and French navy aircraft carrier, FS Charles de Gaulle (R 91), and its escort ships conducted drills while sailing through the Andaman Sea, June 7.
- NATO navies test readiness in Baltic Sea NATO 08 Jun 2019 -- Around 8,600 U.S. and European troops from 18 nations are taking part in the annual BALTOPS naval exercise that starts on Sunday (9 June) in Germany's Baltic Sea port of Kiel.
- Annual NATO Baltic Drills to Kick Off on Sunday – US Navy Sputnik 08 Jun 2019 -- Eighteen NATO nations will launch the annual Baltic Operations exercise (BALTOPS) on Sunday, with more than 50 ships, dozens of aircraft and more than 8,000 service members, the US Navy announced on Friday.
- NATO supports groundbreaking cyber exercise at GLOBSEC 2019 Forum NATO 08 Jun 2019 -- The first-ever cyber crisis simulation workshop, called "Disruptive Dilemmas", took place in Bratislava, Slovakia, on June 6 2019.
- China to establish national technological security management list system Global Times 08 Jun 2019 -- The National Development and Reform Commission has been tasked with organizing a study on establishing a national technological security management list system, Xinhua learned Saturday.
- China's military technology eroding US supremacy: Study Press TV 08 Jun 2019 -- A new US report has warned that American global military dominance may be coming to an end as China rises, saying Beijing is pursuing a "deliberate, patient and robustly resourced" strategy to achieve military superiority.
- US May Try to Steer India Away From Russian S-400 Deal by Luring It With F-35 Offer - Report Sputnik 08 Jun 2019 -- An anonymous US State Department official told India's NDTV at the end of May that New Delhi could face problems similar to those of Turkey over its purchase of S-400 air defence systems from Russia, beginning with diminished cooperation in the defence sphere and ending in sanctions.
- Goa Airport Closed Amid Fire Involving MiG-29K Fighter - Indian Navy Sputnik 08 Jun 2019 -- Goa Airport has said in a statement that operations have been closed for two hours due to a jettisoned fuel tank on the runway, which occurred during a MiG sortie.
- Enemies dare not attack powerful Iran: Defense minister Press TV 08 Jun 2019 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami says the high deterrent power of the Islamic Republic disappoints enemies' potential plans of war with the country.
- US Pushes Germany to Remain in Syria for Spy, Training Missions – Report Sputnik 08 Jun 2019 -- Germany has been taking part in the US-led coalition in Syria since 2015, helping the allies with reconnaissance and mid-air refuelling. The German jets and soldiers, now based in Jordan, were set to leave the country this year. However, Washington has reportedly tried to persuade Berlin to stay to assist in a safe zone in northern Syria.
- US begins "unwinding" Turkey from F-35 program over S-400 deal with Russia Global Times 08 Jun 2019 -- US Department of Defense announced on Friday that it began "unwinding" Turkey from the F-35 program, while Ankara showed no sign of backing off from its purchase of the Russian-made S-400 air defense system.
- U.S. Gives Turkey July 31 Deadline To Abandon Russian Missile Deal RFE/RL 08 Jun 2019 -- The United States has given Turkey a deadline of July 31 to reverse its purchase of a Russian missile-defense system or face the loss of subcontracting work on the U.S.-led F-35 fighter jet project.
- Turkey, Azerbaijan launch joint military drill in Nakhchivan region Press TV 08 Jun 2019 -- Turkey and Azerbaijan have launched a joint military drill in the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic, a landlocked exclave of Azerbaijan, with the aim of developing the armies' coordination and ability to carry out joint operations, Azerbaijani Defense Ministry says.
- Yemeni forces just a few kilometers away from Saudi Arabia's Najran: Defense minister Press TV 08 Jun 2019 -- The Yemeni Defense Minister says the country's armed forces have managed to advance near Saudi Arabia's southern city of Najran, calling the battlefield gains a major victory over the aggressors.
- UAE-backed militants kill six, abduct four in attack on Yemeni mosque Press TV 08 Jun 2019 -- Militants backed by the United Arab Emirates have killed six Yemeni worshippers and abducted four others in an attack on a mosque in the southern province of Dhale.
- Turkish forces 'neutralize' 43 Kurdish PKK terrorists in northern Iraq: Turkey Press TV 08 Jun 2019 -- Turkish military forces have "neutralized" dozens of members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group following a string of artillery and airstrikes followed by operations by commando brigades in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region
- Pakistan PM Khan Offers Reconciliation in Letter to India's Modi VOA 08 Jun 2019 -- Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan has written a letter to his Indian counterpart, Narendra Modi, offering dialogue to reconcile their differences.
- Two Pakistani Soldiers Killed In Another Attack In Waziristan RFE/RL 08 Jun 2019 -- Two Pakistani soldiers were killed and three others wounded on June 8 in a roadside bomb blast, the latest attack in recent weeks in the restive North Waziristan region.
- Israel has right to annex parts of occupied West Bank: US ambassador Press TV 08 Jun 2019 -- US Ambassador to Israel David Friedman has said Israel has the right to annex at least "some" of the occupied West Bank reiterating similar remarks made earlier by US President Donald Trump.
- Trump says U.S. reaches agreement with Mexico to avert tariffs People's Daily 08 Jun 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday night that his country has reached a signed agreement with Mexico to avert the threat of tariffs on all Mexican imports next week.
- US, Mexico Seal Deal and Issue Joint Declaration on Illegal Migration Curbs Sputnik 08 Jun 2019 -- The US-Mexico deal, reached after lengthy bilateral talks, provides a variety of measures related to curbing illegal migration and has been characterised by Mexico's foreign minister as a "fair balance". US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo also noted that the deal contains a "set of joint obligations" that will benefit both countries.
- US, Mexico Reach Deal on Migration, Averting Tariffs VOA 08 Jun 2019 -- The United States and Mexico have reached a deal on migration to avert tariffs, but U.S. officials say President Donald Trump retains the authority to impose tariffs if Mexico fails to live up to it.
- House Committees to Hold Hearings on Mueller Report on Russia Probe VOA 08 Jun 2019 -- Congressional hearings on Robert Mueller's report on the investigation into Russia's meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election take place in coming days, amid mounting pressure to launch proceedings that could lead to the impeachment of President Donald Trump.
- Venezuela's Guaido Says No Plans for More Talks in Norway Sputnik 08 Jun 2019 -- The self-proclaimed interim president says talks that do not lead to resignation of President Maduro are "useless" to the opposition. Previously the opposition denied negotiating with the Maduro delegation directly.
- Venezuela's Economic and Political Crisis Exacts Heaviest Price on Children VOA 08 Jun 2019 -- The U.N. children's fund says Venezuela's economic and political crisis is having a devastating impact on millions of children.
- Sudan Protesters Call for Civil Disobedience VOA 08 Jun 2019 -- Protest leaders in Sudan are urging people to participate in acts of civil disobedience to put pressure on the military after the deadly disruption of their recent sit-in.
- Cargo of N. Korean Coal Adrift Near Vietnam VOA 08 Jun 2019 -- A vessel loaded with $3 million worth of North Korean coal is now floating off Vietnam's coast, searching for a place to dock.
- Another 60 million cubic meters of gas to be added to grid: Minister IRNA 08 Jun 2019 -- Minister of Petroleum Bijan Zanganeh underscored on Saturday that 60 million cubic meters of gas will enter the circuit in the current Iranian year (started March 21) and all phases will be completed by the end of next year, except for the phase 11 of South Pars.
- Gas production in South Pars to hit over 60 million cubic meters IRNA 08 Jun 2019 -- Managing Director of the South Pars Oil and Gas Company Mohammad Meshkinfam said on Saturday that gas production in the field is to hit over 60 million cubic this year.
- In a hostile measure against Iran's nation; US imposes new sanctions against Iran petrochemicals ISNA 08 Jun 2019 -- In a hostile measure, the U.S. Treasury Department announced that it imposed new sanctions on 39 petrochemicals companies.
- Iran strongly condemns US' petrochemical sanctions ISNA 08 Jun 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman, Seyyed Abbas Mousavi has strongly denounced the US Treasury's latest move to impose new sanctions against Iran's petrochemical companies.
- Iran-Turkey ties key to Mideast stability, security: Rouhani Press TV 08 Jun 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says Iran and Turkey are two "powerful and influential" countries in the Muslim world, adding that expansion of mutual relations will play a leading role in promoting stability and security in the Middle East.
- Iran has no plan to leave OPEC: Oil minister Press TV 08 Jun 2019 -- Iranian Minister of Petroleum Bijan Zangeneh says Tehran has no plans to leave the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), criticizing certain member states for politicizing the group to counter two OPEC founding members--Iran and Venezuela.
- Iran: Abe visit success depends on unwinding US measures Press TV 08 Jun 2019 -- Iran's top security body says Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's upcoming visit to Tehran can be successful if efforts are made to return the US to the 2015 JCPOA nuclear deal and lift sanctions on the Islamic Republic.
- Iran says new US sanctions show talks offer hollow Press TV 08 Jun 2019 -- Iran says new US sanctions on its petrochemical industry show the hollowness of President Donald Trump's claims to be open to fresh negotiations with Tehran.
- Iran Uses 'Unconventional' Methods to Continue Selling Oil Under US Sanctions – Minister Sputnik 08 Jun 2019 -- Earlier, Deputy Oil Minister Amir Hossein Zamaninia revealed that the country had mobilised its resources to start selling oil on what he called a "grey market" as the US announced the end of sanctions waivers for importers of Iranian oil.
- Xi, Putin lead bilateral ties into new era, embark on fresh journey of int'l cooperation Global Times 08 Jun 2019 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping's visit to Russia showed that the consensus on deepening mutual trust between the two countries is unbreakable and that China's belief in win-win cooperation is unshakable, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Friday.
- Kazakh Voters Look Set To Elect Nazarbaev's Chosen Successor, Toqaev, As President RFE/RL 08 Jun 2019 -- Voters in Kazakhstan are electing a new president on June 9 as interim President Qasym-Zhomart Toqaev looks set to continue in the post.
- Uncle Toqaev Wants You! Kazakh Conscriptions, Jailings Greet Wave Of Preelection Protests RFE/RL 08 Jun 2019 -- Sensing a loosening in the authoritarian choke hold they've lived under for some 30 years, Kazakhs are rallying for rights and reforms in a stream of protests unlike any in this energy-rich Central Asian country since the early 2000s.
- Backtracking on initial support, Trump criticizes NASA for focusing on Moon Press TV 08 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump's enthusiasm for revisiting the Moon has abruptly faded as he criticizes NASA for spending money to put astronauts back on the Earth's sole natural satellite by 2024 instead of focusing on "much bigger" initiatives like going to Mars.
- Conservatives Battle to Replace Theresa May VOA 08 Jun 2019 -- The race to succeed the Brexit-fouled Theresa May as Conservative party leader and the country's prime minister got underway Saturday in earnest, two days after Britain's governing party suffered one of its worst ever humiliations in a parliamentary by-election.
- Escape From Turkmenistan: Almost 2 Million Have Fled, But The President Looks The Other Way RFE/RL 08 Jun 2019 -- When confronted with dispiriting population statistics, the president of Turkmenistan apparently took action: He ordered up a new census.
- Moldovan Parliament Approves New Government Over Constitutional Court's Objections RFE/RL 08 Jun 2019 -- Parliamentary leaders in Moldova have met in an extraordinary session in the latest attempt to form a government following inconclusive elections in February.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|