02 June 2019 Military News
- US Envoy Discusses Afghan Peace in Visit to Pakistan VOA 02 Jun 2019 -- U.S. special representative for Afghanistan reconciliation, Zalmay Khalilzad, visited Pakistan Sunday at the beginning of his 16-day multi-nation trip that will also take him to Qatar for another round of peace negotiations with the Taliban.
- Afghan Violence Reports: Nearly 2,300 Casualties in May VOA 02 Jun 2019 -- The armed conflict in Afghanistan has reportedly caused more than 2,300 casualties, including 1,317 deaths, over the past month in operations conducted by pro-government forces and Taliban insurgents.
- Reports of casualties after blasts rock Afghan capital Press TV 02 Jun 2019 -- Three successive blasts have rocked the Afghan capital Kabul, leaving one person dead and 17 others wounded.
- US special envoy to Afghanistan to talk peace with Taliban militants Press TV 02 Jun 2019 -- The US envoy for "peace in Afghanistan" reportedly plans to meet with representatives of the Taliban militant group later this month during an international tour to promote the peace talks opposed by the Afghan government.
- Eight Policemen Killed, 7 Injured in Car Bomb Blast in East Afghanistan - Police Sputnik 02 Jun 2019 -- At least eight policemen were killed and seven others were injured after a Taliban-hijacked military armoured car laden with explosives rammed into a police building in the eastern Afghan province of Ghazni on June 1, the local law enforcement agency said on Sunday.
- New Blast Kills Six Police In Ghazni As Taliban Reject Calls For Afghan Holiday Truce RFE/RL 02 Jun 2019 -- Violent bomb blasts continued to shake Afghanistan as Taliban militants have rejected calls for a holiday truce.
- Taliban Head Rejects Call For Holiday Truce; U.S. Envoy Heads To Region RFE/RL 02 Jun 2019 -- The head of the Taliban ruled out calling a cease-fire anytime soon, as the United States envoy headed to the region for new round of efforts to end the long-running war in Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Acting Secretary Shanahan En Route Press Gaggle - Singapore to ROK DoD 02 Jun 2019 -- Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick M. Shanahan
- Pentagon Tells White House Not to Politicize Military VOA 02 Jun 2019 -- The Pentagon has told the White House to keep the military out of politics, after someone from the White House directed the Navy to keep the warship USS John S. McCain "out of sight" when President Donald Trump visited Japan.
- Pentagon Urges WH to Keep Military Out of Politics Amid USS John McCain Debate Sputnik 02 Jun 2019 -- The vessel was initially named after the senator's father and grandfather, both navy admirals also called John McCain. Last year, the navy added the late senator as a namesake to honour his memory.
- US Carrier, Strategic Bomber Do 'Simulated Strike' Near Iran's Maritime Borders Sputnik 02 Jun 2019 -- The drills took place amid simmering tensions between Washington and Tehran, with the US sending a carrier battle group into the Middle East last month and threatening to sail it into the Persian Gulf, claiming the deployment was a response to intelligence about an alleged Iranian threat to US interests in the region.
- Japan-Republic of Korea-United States Defense Ministerial Meeting Joint Press Statement DoD 02 Jun 2019
- Joint press conference with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg and the Prime Minister Albania of Albania, Edi Rama NATO 02 Jun 2019
- Stoltenberg, North Atlantic Council Visit NATO Hopeful North Macedonia RFE/RL 02 Jun 2019 -- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg has embarked on a two-day visit to North Macedonia, which is expected to become the next country to join the Western military alliance.
- Investigators Seeking Cause Of Russian Explosives Plant Blast RFE/RL 02 Jun 2019 -- Regional authorities say emergency rescue operations have been completed following a series of massive blasts that devastated an explosives plant in central Russia, and investigators are seeking the cause of the accident.
- Speech at the 18th Shangri-La Dialogue by Gen. Wei Fenghe, State Councilor and Minister of National Defense, PRC Global Times 02 Jun 2019
- China rejects U.S. acting defense secretary's "false remarks" on Taiwan People's Daily 02 Jun 2019 -- China firmly rejects the "false remarks" on Taiwan-related issues made by U.S. Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan at the ongoing 18th Shangri-La Dialogue, Chinese Lieutenant General Shao Yuanming said here on Saturday.
- Chinese defense official calls for efforts to avoid conflict at sea People's Daily 02 Jun 2019 -- A Chinese defense official on Saturday at the 18th Shangri-La Dialogue called for reducing and avoiding close military activities at sea that are viewed by the other side as unfriendly or even hostile.
- China makes 3-point proposal on enhancing defense cooperation in Asia-Pacific People's Daily 02 Jun 2019 -- China on Saturday made a three-point proposal on enhancing defense cooperation in the Asia-Pacific region at the Shangri-La Dialogue being held here.
- China rebuts U.S. acting defense secretary's remarks on Taiwan, South China Sea People's Daily 02 Jun 2019 -- China firmly objected to the U.S. side's remarks on Taiwan and the South China Sea while welcoming the U.S. statement of continuing to develop and stabilize the bilateral military relationship, a senior Chinese military official said here Saturday.
- China to 'fight at all costs' to defend Taiwan, South China Sea claims Press TV 02 Jun 2019 -- China says a war with the United States would be a disaster for the world as it warns Washington not to meddle in Taiwan and the South China Sea.
- China Defence Minister on Trade, Taiwan: 'We'll Fight to the End' if US Want It Sputnik 02 Jun 2019 -- Chinese Defence Minister Wei Fenghe criticized the United States on Sunday for its policy in regard to Taiwan and for naval operations in the disputed South China Sea, yet noted that conflict or war between Washington and Beijing would be a disaster.
- Commander: Iran not to compromise on its defensive power IRNA 02 Jun 2019 -- Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major-General Mohammad Hossein Baqeri on Sunday reaffirmed Iranian sovereignty right to bolster defense power, saying that Iran never compromises on the main issue of Revolution, the self-defense.
- US Hits EU With Ultimatum to Save Close Ties to American Arms Industry - Report Sputnik 02 Jun 2019 -- The Western alliance has come under increasing strain in recent years amid President Trump's insistence that NATO's European members commit more to defence spending, and reports that the president has repeatedly raised the issue of withdrawing Washington from the bloc.
- Remarks by President Trump Before Marine One Departure The White House 02 Jun 2019
- Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo And Swiss Foreign Minister Ignazio Cassis At a Joint Press Availability US Dept. of State 02 Jun 2019 -- Press Availability by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State and Ignazio Cassis, Swiss Foreign Minister
- Where there are threats, there are defenses: Chinese defense minister on South China Sea People's Daily 02 Jun 2019 -- Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister Wei Fenghe said here on Sunday that China's construction on its South China Sea islands and reefs is its legitimate right and is purely defensive in nature.
- 'We will have surprises for you!' Yemen warns aggressors Press TV 02 Jun 2019 -- Yemen's Defense Minister Mohammed Nasser al-Atifi says the country has made great strides in the defense sector and will "surprise" Saudi Arabia and those of its allies that are waging a war on the impoverished nation.
- Syrian air defenses confront Israeli attacks: State media Press TV 02 Jun 2019 -- Syria's air defense systems have confronted Israeli attacks in the country's southwest, state media say, adding that three soldiers were killed in the raids.
- Israel Strikes Syrian Military Targets in Response to Golan Rocket Fire Sputnik 02 Jun 2019 -- On Saturday evening, the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) reported that two projectiles were fired from Syrian territory in the direction of Mount Hermon in Northern Israel.
- Israeli Army Says Attack on Syrian Military Targets Was Retaliatory Sputnik 02 Jun 2019 -- Syria's air defence systems have shot down enemy missiles to the south of Damascus, Syria's SANA state news agency reported Sunday. Later, the agency reported that continued missile strikes resulted in three Syrian soldiers killed.
- Syria rebuffs statement issued after OIC Mecca summit Press TV 02 Jun 2019 -- Syria has rejected a final communique issued following a Saudi-hosted summit of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Mecca, saying it reflected the submission of some participating countries to their masters in Washington.
- 10 killed, 20 wounded in twin Daesh car bombing in Syria's Raqqa Press TV 02 Jun 2019 -- The Takfiri terrorist group Daesh has launched two major car bombings in northern Syria, killing 10 people and injuring 20 more.
- Two more French Daesh terrorists put on death row in Iraq Press TV 02 Jun 2019 -- An Iraqi court has sentenced two more French citizens to death for joining the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group and involvement in acts of terror across the conflict-ridden Arab country and neighboring Syria, bringing the total number of former French terrorists condemned to death over the past few weeks to nine.
- Iraq Sentences 2 French Citizens to Death for Being Daesh Members - Reports Sputnik 02 Jun 2019 -- An Iraqi court has sentenced two more French citizens to the death penalty for belonging to the Daesh* terrorist group, the Al-Sumaria broadcaster reported on Sunday.
- Islamic Group Condemns U.S. Transfer Of Israeli Embassy To Jerusalem, Urges 'Appropriate Measures' RFE/RL 02 Jun 2019 -- The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) has condemned decisions by the United States and other countries to move their Israeli embassies to Jerusalem, the divided city that Palestinians hope to make the capital of their future state.
- Trump calls Mexico an 'abuser' of US, defends trade move Press TV 02 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has ruled out the possibility of holding talks with Mexico to resolve differences with the southern neighbor and accused the country of abusing the United States.
- US Now Requiring Social Media Details From Most Visa Applicants VOA 02 Jun 2019 -- Nearly everyone applying for a visa to enter the United States will have to provide their social media accounts as well as other detailed personal information as part of the Trump administration's "extreme vetting" process for all immigrants and visitors.
- Two killed at protest site as Sudan junta digs heels Press TV 02 Jun 2019 -- Sudanese security forces have opened fire, killing two protesters and wounding 10 others near a protest site in the capital Khartoum.
- Forget Changing The System. Just Don't Build The Church Here: 'Localized' Protesting Poses A New Challenge To The Kremlin RFE/RL 02 Jun 2019 -- Eight years ago, it was "Stop Lying," and "Down With The Party Of Crooks And Thieves." Today, it's "We're For The Square," and "Close The Dump," and "Hands Off Our Pensions." As President Vladimir Putin closes in on his 20th year as Russia's preeminent leader, the Kremlin has effectively sucked the oxygen out of any viable, independent political opposition. It has neutered civic society and nongovernmental groups through the implementation of "foreign agent" and "undesirable organization" laws.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Gives Field Guidance to Phyongnam General Machine Plant KCNA 02 Jun 2019 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea, chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and supreme commander of the armed forces of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, gave field guidance to the Phyongnam General Machine Plant.
- Rouhani's statement to heads of Islamic states relayed to present delegations ISNA 02 Jun 2019 -- During the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) summit which was opened in Mecca on Friday and closed the next morning, two documents including the final communique and Palestine resolution which were passed in ministers' meeting, were approved.
- Spokesman urges US to correct its anti-Iran policy IRNA 02 Jun 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman on Sunday urged Washington to correct its anti-Iranian policy instead of playing with words.
- Zarif : Talks with Iran not to work under pressure IRNA 02 Jun 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif warned the US against consequences of the economic warfare, saying negotiations with Iran will not work under pressure.
- Pompeo: US ready to talk with Iran with no preconditions IRNA 02 Jun 2019 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced that the US is ready to hold negotiations with Iran with no preconditions.
- Pompeo Says U.S. Willing To Talk To Iran With 'No Preconditions' RFE/RL 02 Jun 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says the United States is willing to talk to Iran with "no preconditions" but will continue to pressure the country.
- Signs of US retreat from pugnacity with Iran IRNA 02 Jun 2019 -- Washington's growing and worrying tensions over Tehran have plummeted in recent days, as we witness more flexible positions by the White House officials; decrease in the verbal abuses by Trump team and the conditional acceptance of INSTEX are among these signs.
- Arak Heavy Water Reactor Facility to release latest report IRNA 02 Jun 2019 -- An informed source in the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) announced that reporters are slated to pay a visit to Arak Heavy Water Reactor Facility to prepare a report on its latest developments.
- People to push enemies back until final victory: Iran's President ISNA 02 Jun 2019 -- Stating that athletes bring pride and liveliness to the country alongside medals, Iran's President stressed that the arena of sport must be the arena of unity in the entire Iran and the entire nation need to be united in sports and not let competitions bring about division.
- Iran, Turkey to create new financial mechanism ISNA 02 Jun 2019 -- Iran and Turkey are reportedly planning to establish a joint bank to promote trade in the face of the US sanctions campaign against the Islamic Republic.
- Playing with words no enough, US must change its practical stance: Iran Press TV 02 Jun 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman says a game of words on the part of the United States is not important to Iran, but the Islamic Republic expects a change in Washington's general approach to the Iranian nation.
- First shot fired in Persian Gulf will push oil to over $100: Iranian commander Press TV 02 Jun 2019 -- A senior Iranian commander has dismissed the United States' aggressive posturing against Iran, reasoning that any potential confrontation in the Persian Gulf would instantly increase oil prices to over 100 dollars per barrel, something that Washington and its allies would not be able to endure.
- China releases white paper on its position on economic and trade consultations with U.S. People's Daily 02 Jun 2019 -- The State Council Information Office on Sunday issued a white paper to provide a comprehensive picture of the China-U.S. economic and trade consultations, and present China's policy position on these consultations.
- China does not want but is not afraid of a trade war: white paper People's Daily 02 Jun 2019 -- The China-US commercial relationship serves as both the ballast and the propeller of the overall bilateral relationship. At stake are the fundamental interests of the two peoples, and the prosperity and stability of the world, according to a white paper released Sunday by the State Council Information Office.
- US accusation of China IP theft, forced technology transfer unfounded: white paper People's Daily 02 Jun 2019 -- Accusing China of stealing intellectual property to support its own development is an unfounded fabrication, according to a white paper titled China's Position on the China-US Economic and Trade Consultations released by the State Council Information Office on Sunday.
- China Blames Washington for Trade Talks Breakdown VOA 02 Jun 2019 -- China says Washington bears the "sole and entire responsibility" for the breakdown in trade talks earlier this month and that Beijing won't back down on matters of principle. In a defiant rebuttal of who is to blame, China released a white paper Sunday, arguing that it is the United States that has backtracked in the talks and that tariffs will not resolve the two country's trade issues.
- China: 1989 Tiananmen Square Crackdown Was 'Correct Policy' VOA 02 Jun 2019 -- China on Sunday defended its deadly crackdown 30 years ago on pro-democracy protesters in Beijing's Tiananmen Square, saying it was "the correct policy."
- China builds own part for rocket payloads Global Times 02 Jun 2019 -- China's new payload for its Long March-3A launch vehicles with all core materials manufactured domestically will hopefully usher in a new era where all launch vehicles use homegrown fairings, the state space vehicle developer said on Sunday.
- Thousands Defy Police in Cameroon, Demanding Kamto's Release VOA 02 Jun 2019 -- At least 73 people have been arrested in demonstrations in Cameroon as thousands of supporters of Maurice Kamto, the man who says he won the October 7 presidential election, have defied a heavy police presence and are staging protests in several towns of the central African state. They are seeking the immediate release of their party leader, among other things, and scores of his supporters have been jailed since January.
- International partners pledge $1.2 billion to help cyclone-hit Mozambique recover, 'build back better' UN News 02 Jun 2019 -- Donors have pledged an initial $1.2 billion to help restore livelihoods and rebuild infrastructure destroyed by cyclones Kenneth and Idai in Mozambique, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) announced on Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|