22 May 2019 Military News
- Taliban Explodes Humvee-Born Bomb in Eastern Afghanistan VOA 22 May 2019 -- Taliban insurgents detonated a vehicle-born bomb in eastern Afghanistan Wednesday, killing at least three people and injuring 15 others.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pentagon Mulls Sending More Troops to Gulf, Officials Say VOA 22 May 2019 -- The Pentagon is set to brief the White House on a request for thousands more U.S. troops to be sent to the Middle East, amid rising tensions between Iran and Washington, U.S. officials said Wednesday.
- Readout from Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick M. Shanahan's Office Call with Presidents of Palau, Marshall Islands, and Federated States of Micronesia DoD 22 May 2019
- DOD Policy Chief Welcomes Georgia's Defense Minister to Pentagon DoD News 22 May 2019 -- Undersecretary of Defense for Policy John C. Rood met at the Pentagon with Georgian Defense Minister Levan Izoria to reaffirm the U.S. commitment to Georgia's territorial integrity and sovereignty and to underscore the importance of the U.S.-Georgia defense relationship.
- USS Ronald Reagan Begins Underway Operations in Indo-Pacific NNS 22 May 2019 -- The forward-deployed aircraft-carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76), along with supporting Commander Task Force 70 units, began underway operations in the Indo-Pacific May 20.
- VP-9 Represents the U.S. Navy in Exercise "Sea Shield" with NATO Allies NNS 22 May 2019 -- Sailors assigned to Patrol Squadron (VP) 9 participated in exercise Sea Shield 2019 out of Constanta, Romania, during their first week of deployment under commander, Task Force (CTF) 67, April 5-14, 2019.
- US fighter jets intercept Russian warplanes off Alaska Press TV 22 May 2019 -- US fighter jets have intercepted six Russian military aircraft in international airspace off the western coast of Alaska and shadowed them until they exited the area, according to American authorities.
- US to Have Year-Round Presence in Arctic 'Soon' With New Ice Breakers - Bolton Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- The United States will soon have a persistent year-round presence in the Arctic region once its new polar ice breakers are in service, US National Security Adviser John Bolton said during a speech at the US Coast Guard Academy graduation ceremony on 22 May.
- Total Force: Reserve Fighting Falcons train with Lakenheath Strike Eagles US Air Force 22 May 2019 -- 93rd Fighter Squadron F-16C Fighting Falcons and 482nd Fighter Wing support personnel from Homestead Air Reserve Base, Florida, participated in Dissimilar Air Combat Training with U.S. Air Forces in Europe units and partners and allies in the region, May 21.
- Land forces key to free, open Indo-Asia Pacific Army News 22 May 2019 -- While the Indo-Asia Pacific region is mostly ocean, land forces are crucial to ensure it remains free and open so nations can prosper, the region's top U.S. Army officer said Tuesday.
- US deploys THAAD anti-missile system in first deployment to Romania Army News 22 May 2019 -- Approximately 100 soldiers from Fort Hood, Texas, deployed to Romania in April as the NATO's Aegis Ashore Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) site undergoes a long-planned upgrade. The soldiers will temporarily emplace a Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system at the remote site for approximately three months.
- NATO Secretary General has talks with UK Defence Secretary NATO 22 May 2019 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met with the United Kingdom's Defence Secretary, Penny Mordaunt, in London on Wednesday (22 May 2019). Mr. Stoltenberg congratulated the Defence Secretary on her appointment and said he looked forward to working with her to address the security challenges the Alliance faces.
- Two Russian Strategic Bombers Perform Flight Along Alaskan Coast - Russian MoD Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- Two Russian Tu-95MS strategic bombers performed a scheduled 11-hour flight over the Bering, Chukchi, Okhotsk seas and along the coast of Alaska, accompanied by US air force aircraft, the Russian Defence Ministry said in a statement.
- Russia, Pakistan Call for Int'l Efforts to Avoid Military Confrontation in Space Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- The two countries signed a joint statement on Wednesday only a month after Pakistan accused India of weaponising space, as Indian defence scientists successfully destroyed a target satellite 186 miles above the Earth's surface on 26 March.
- Xi stresses military personnel education for strong armed forces People's Daily 22 May 2019 -- President Xi Jinping underlined the importance of better education of military personnel for building strong armed forces, when inspecting the Army Infantry College of the People's Liberation Army in east China's Jiangxi Province Tuesday.
- India Test Fires Air Launched Version of BrahMos Supersonic Cruise Missile Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- The 2.5-ton air-launched version of the BrahMos (BrahMos-A) missile, named after India's Brahmaputra River and Russia's Moskva River, has an operational range of around 300 km. It can be dropped from 500 to 14,000 metres.
- Indian Space Agency Successfully Launches Country's All Weather Spy Satellite Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- The satellite holds great importance for the Armed Forces, as an Indian Air Force (IAF) official reportedly claimed that one Mirage 2000 had missed the target during India's air strike in Balakot, Pakistan on the suspected terror camps on 26 February due to bad weather.
- Iran says monitoring foreign forces movements IRNA 22 May 2019 -- Iranian armed forces in a statement released on Wednesday said that it is monitoring the movement of foreign forces in the region.
- Revolutionary Guards Gen: US & Allies 'Do Not Dare' to Attack Iran Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- Tensions between Iran and the US have recently intensified over the latter deploying additional troops and military equipment to the Middle East and US President Donald Trump issuing threats and warnings to Tehran.
- Iran Allegedly Transfers S-300 to Persian Gulf Amid Tensions With US Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- The reports come just a few weeks after the United States deployed an aircraft carrier strike group and a bomber task force to the Persian Gulf in what White House National Security Adviser John Bolton described as a "clear and unmistakable message" to Iran.
- Pakistan Gets First Upgraded Chinese Fighters Amid 'Concerns' Over F-16 Safety Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- The development comes just days after an Indian media outlet cited government sources as claiming that Pakistan had redeployed its US-made F-16 fighter jets in a bid to avoid major losses in potential strikes from New Delhi.
- Taiwan holds live-fire drill along east coast CNA 22 May 2019 -- Taiwan's military held its largest maritime live-fire training exercise in five years along the country's east coast Wednesday at a time of heightened activity by China's military in areas around Taiwan.
- Russia denounces US deadline given to Turkey to scrap S-400 deal Press TV 22 May 2019 -- The Kremlin has denounced as "unacceptable" a deadline the United States has reportedly given to Turkey to annul a deal to purchase Russian S-400 missile defense systems or get penalized.
- Turkey says preparing for bans as reported US deadline on Russian S-400 deal looms Press TV 22 May 2019 -- Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar says his country is preparing for potential American sanctions as a deadline reportedly set by the US for Ankara to cancel an arms deal with Russia or face penalties draws near.
- Turkey Preparing For U.S. Sanctions Over Russian Missile Deal RFE/RL 22 May 2019 -- Turkey's defense minister said Ankara was preparing for potential U.S. sanctions over its purchase of Russian S-400 missile defense systems, but also spoke of what he called a growing "rapprochement" with Washington over the issue.
- France Wants to Deploy Air Defence System in Turkey Amid S-400 Spat Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- Turkey had long been looking for a supplier of air defence systems and in December 2017, finally set its gaze on Russia's S-400. However, Ankara's decision stirred the ire of one of its NATO allies - the US.
- Turkey Fulfilling Commitments Under F-35 Fighter Jet Program Despite US Threats Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- Turkey complies with all of its commitments under the trillion-dollar F-35 fighter jet program and expects the United States to do the same, Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said on Wednesday.
- Turkish Troops Learning in Russia to Operate S-400 Despite US Threats - Minister Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- A group of Turkish military personnel has arrived in Russia to learn operating Russian S-400 air defence systems, Turkish Defen?e Minister Hulusi Akar said on Wednesday.
- US Requests Turkey Pull Out of S-400 Deal With Russia by June - Reports Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- The United States is giving Turkey until the end of the first week of June to pull out of its agreement with Russia to purchase the S-400 air defence system or face severe consequences including sanctions, media reported.
- Off-Camera, On-The-Record Gaggle US Dept. of State 22 May 2019 -- Special Briefing by Morgan Ortagus, Department Spokesperson
- Remarks by Vice President Pence in Press Gaggle The White House 22 May 2019
- 22 May 2019 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 22 May 2019
- US Aside, China Fears Mostly Japan's Influence in Disputed Sea VOA 22 May 2019 -- Japan is shaping up as China's chief rival in the disputed South China Sea because it has a sustained, multi-pronged approach and a unique set of reasons to test Beijing's growing influence, analysts say.
- Yemeni forces launch drone attack on warplane hangars at Najran airport Press TV 22 May 2019 -- Yemeni armed forces have launched another retaliatory drone strike against an airport in Saudi Arabia's southwestern Najran region, this time targeting hangars housing the regime's warplanes.
- US Tells Syrian Kurds Only Future Is Part of Peaceful Syrian State VOA 22 May 2019 -- The United States is reminding its Syrian Kurdish allies not to get overly ambitious while at the same time trying to allay concerns Washington will abandon them to Turkey or a possibly resurgent Islamic State terror group.
- Government troops thwart major terrorist attacks in Syria's Hama Press TV 22 May 2019 -- Syrian army forces have managed to frustrate a series of attacks by militants from the Jabhat Fateh al-Sham terrorist group, formerly known as al-Nusra Front, in the country's western-central province of Hama as they are engaged in joint counter-terrorism operations with allied fighters from popular defense groups against the extremists.
- U.S. Suspects Chemical Attack In Syria, Denounces Russian 'Disinformation Campaign' RFE/RL 22 May 2019 -- The United States says it suspects that Syrian government forces have carried out a new chemical attack.
- France Stands by OPCW Amid US Claims of Chemical Attacks in Syria - Ministry Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- France has taken into account the US allegations about the Syrian government's use of chemical weapons but has reaffirmed its absolute trust in the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), Spokesperson for the French Foreign Ministry said.
- Russian Air Defences Destroy Rockets Fired at Syria Base From Idlib - MoD Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- On Monday, the Russian Defence Ministry said that al-Nusra Front* terrorists fired six missiles at Russia's Hmeymim base in Syria. The ministry added that no casualties or damages were registered following the attack.
- IS Militants Target Kurdish Farmers in Disputed Iraqi Territories VOA 22 May 2019 -- In a bid to extort revenues from local farmers during the harvest season, Islamic State (IS) militants are threatening to set fire to thousands of acres of wheat fields in territories disputed between the Iraqi government and the Kurdistan region, according to local officials.
- Libya 'On Verge of Descending' Into Civil War - UN Support Mission Chief Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- Libya is "on the verge of descending" into civil war and, since the situation escalated in early April, there has been death and destruction, Special Representative of the Secretary-General and Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya Ghassan Salame said.
- Ukrainian Military Says Eight Soldiers Captured In Donetsk Region RFE/RL 22 May 2019 -- Ukrainian authorities say eight military personnel have been captured by Russia-backed fighters in the eastern region of Donetsk.
- Somalia's population, international partners must be energized to sustain country's 'upward trajectory,' says senior UN official UN News 22 May 2019 -- Despite Somalia's persistent security threats, recurrent political crises, capacity constraints and the difficulties in navigating political obstacles to its reform agenda, the Horn of Africa country remains on a "positive trajectory," the UN Security Council was told on Wednesday.
- Ex-minister among six killed in car bomb attack in Somalia's Mogadishu Press TV 22 May 2019 -- At least six people, including a former Somali foreign minister, have been killed as a car bomb exploded near the presidential palace in Somalia's capital, Mogadishu.
- Suicide car bomber kills at least 12 in Mogadishu SPA 22 May 2019 -- At least 12 people were killed when a suicide car bomber detonated explosives at a security checkpoint in Somalia's capital Mogadishu, police said Wednesday.
- Palestinian nation united in rejecting deal of century: Hamas official Press TV 22 May 2019 -- A high-ranking member of the Islamic resistance movement, Hamas, says the Palestinian nation vigorously rejects US President Donald Trump's controversial proposal for "peace" between the Israeli regime and Palestinians, dubbed "the deal of the century."
- Palestine refugees' relief chief warns Security Council money to fund Gaza operations will run out in mid-June UN News 22 May 2019 -- The head of the UN relief and works agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) warned on Wednesday that despite weathering a "truly existential crisis" over funding last year, money to continue operations this year in the Gaza Strip will only last until mid-June.
- UN Palestinian Refugee Agency Pleads for Funds VOA 22 May 2019 -- The U.N. agency that assists Palestinian refugees warned Wednesday that it would run out of money in a few weeks if donors did not step up quickly.
- Pakistan Says It Told India It's Ready for Peace Talks VOA 22 May 2019 -- The foreign ministers of Pakistan and India met informally Wednesday on the sidelines of a meeting of regional countries in Kyrgyzstan, the first contact between the two nuclear-armed South Asian rival nations since they stepped back from the brink of war in February.
- Indian Soldier Killed, 7 Wounded in Explosion Near India-Pakistan Border Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- Earlier this month, two soldiers were injured in a similar explosion in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. In another incident in February, an army officer was killed in an IED blast that occurred in the Lam Jhanger area, near the Line of Control (LoC).
- Venezuela's Maduro urges military to 'capture traitors' Press TV 22 May 2019 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has ordered the country's armed forces to "capture traitors" within their ranks.
- Sudanese protest group calls strike as transition talks stall Press TV 22 May 2019 -- A leading Sudanese protest group has called for a strike as the ruling generals in the country refuse to grant a demand for the establishment of a civilian-majority transitional body.
- North Korea Slams Biden as 'Fool of Low IQ' VOA 22 May 2019 -- North Korean state media slammed Joe Biden as an "imbecile" and a "fool of low IQ" Wednesday, Pyongyang's first substantial comments on the 2020 U.S. presidential election.
- Russia stresses serious need for talks on JCPOA IRNA 22 May 2019 -- Deputy Foreign Minister of Russia and senior nuclear negotiator says that there is a serious need for negotiations on a Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Russia calls for JCPOA arbitral commission to convene IRNA 22 May 2019 -- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation in a statement called for the arbitral commission on the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) to convene.
- Iran reacts to France's stance on JCPOA IRNA 22 May 2019 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman said that Iran is ready to implement JCPOA exactly in the same way France and its European allies did it.
- EU under huge pressure from US over Iran: French minister IRNA 22 May 2019 -- European powers are facing huge pressure from the United States to drop its proposed trade channel with Iran, French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire said on Tuesday.
- Iran ready to implement JCPOA just as France did: Foreign Ministry spokesman ISNA 22 May 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman, Seyyed Abbas Mousavi says Iran is prepared to support the nuclear deal exactly in the same way that France and its European allies have supported and implemented the agreement during the past year.
- China says JCPOA implementation sole way to ease tensions, as US blows hot and cold on Iran Press TV 22 May 2019 -- China says ensuring the complete and effective implementation of the 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and the six world powers is the only way to ease tensions between Tehran and Washington.
- Iran forex reserves remain ample: Central bank Press TV 22 May 2019 -- Governor of the Central Bank of Iran Abdolnaser Hemmati says the country's foreign exchange reserves are robust despite tightening US sanctions which seek to stem the Islamic Republic's hard currency stream.
- EU under huge US pressure over Iran trade: France Press TV 22 May 2019 -- French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire says France, Germany and Britain are coming under immense pressure from the US to cancel out their proposed trade channel with Iran, which has yet to see the light of day.
- Russia, France, Germany defend JCPOA, support trade with Iran Press TV 22 May 2019 -- The leaders of Russia, France and Germany have underscored the need to preserve the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran, stressing their commitment to boosting trade ties with the Islamic Republic despite the United States' unilateral withdrawal from the accord.
- US sanctions amount to military conflict with Iran: Official Press TV 22 May 2019 -- Despite the US officials' claim that they are not after a war with Iran, Washington's sanctions on Iranians amount to an all-out military conflict, says a senior Iranian official.
- US Urges Russia to Join Efforts to Counter Iran Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- The war of words between the US and Iran intensified earlier in the month after the Pentagon deployed an aircraft carrier strike group and a bomber task force near Iran in response to what Washington called a potential threat from Tehran.
- Iran says ready to support nuclear deal 'just as France did' Press TV 21 May 2019 -- Iran says it is fully prepared to implement the 2015 nuclear deal exactly in the same way that France and its European partners did during the past year.
- More officials take initiative to surrender as anti-graft drive intensifies Global Times 22 May 2019 -- Voluntary confessions from officials suspected of violations prove the deterrent strength of China's anti-corruption system, observers said, after another official from Central China's Hunan Province turned himself in on Monday, a few days after the confession of the former head of China's securities watchdog.
- Rare earths an important strategic resource: Xi Global Times 22 May 2019 -- Rare-earth minerals are important strategic yet non-renewable resources, and efforts are needed to ramp up scientific and technological innovation for there to be increased added value in the sector, Chinese President Xi Jinping said while visiting a major rare-earth company in East China's Jiangxi Province, the Xinhua News Agency reported on Wednesday.
- Beijing Could Use Rare Earth Metal Exports as Pressure Point in US Trade War Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- After Chinese President Xi Jinping visited a rare earth metal facility earlier this week, fears of a coming clamp-down on exports of the valuable materials have been renewed. China produces the vast majority of the world's rare earths, which are used in electronic devices.
- China to send 6-8 BeiDou-3 navigation satellites by year-end: official Global Times 22 May 2019 -- China will send another six to eight BeiDou-3 (BDS-3) navigation satellites into space before the end of 2019, and complete construction of BDS-3 - the new generation global navigation satellite system - by 2020, a senior official said Wednesday.
- Taiwan needs voice at WHA: U.S. health secretary CNA 22 May 2019 -- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar met Taiwan's Health Minister Chen Shi-chung (陳時中) in Geneva Tuesday, and voiced his backing for Taiwan's participation at the World Health Assembly (WHA), later displaying his support for Taiwan on social media.
- PM statement on new Brexit deal: 22 May 2019 Gov.UK 22 May 2019 -- With permission, Mr Speaker, I would like to make a statement on the Government's work to deliver Brexit by putting forward a new deal that members of this House can stand behind.
- UN Urges UK to Leave Overseas Territory Chagos Islands Hosting US Air Base Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- London has retained control over the group of islands in the Indian Ocean, having separated them from Mauritius several years prior to the country receiving independence as part of Britain's decolonisation policy.
- Britain's May Faces Calls to Resign After Revised Brexit Plan Unveiled VOA 22 May 2019 -- British lawmakers are denouncing Prime Minister Theresa May's latest proposal to withdraw from the European Union (EU) amid growing demands from her own Conservative Party for her resignation.
- New Jersey Man Charged with Attempting to Provide Material Support to Hamas, Making False Statements US Dept. of Justice 22 May 2019 -- Also Charged with Making Threats against Pro-Israel Supporters
- Cyber innovation at the forefront of UK's approach to modern warfare UK MOD 22 May 2019 -- Defence Secretary Penny Mordaunt has announced £22 million in funding for Army cyber operations centres
- Ukrainian Lawmakers Decline To Address Zelenskiy's Proposals At Emergency Session RFE/RL 22 May 2019 -- Ukraine's parliament has defied new President Volodymyr Zelenskiy a day after he issued a decree to disband it and hold snap elections in July, declining to discuss his proposed changes in electoral legislation.
- Clashes in Jakarta in Wake of Election VOA 22 May 2019 -- Indonesian President Joko Widodo says he will not tolerate anyone disturbing the country's democratic process, after deadly clashes between police and supporters of Prabowo Subianto, the former army general who lost the recent election but is contesting the results.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|