20 May 2019 Military News
- 3 Haqqani militants arrested in Afghan capital: gov't People's Daily 20 May 2019 -- Three members of the Haqqani militant group have been arrested in Kabul, capital of Afghanistan, the government said on Monday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Bulldog Bridges the Gap in the ROK Army News 20 May 2019 -- Soldiers with 3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team "Bulldog", 1st Armored Division (Rotational), 2nd Infantry Division/ ROK-U.S. Combined Division, conducted a combined bridging exercise across the Imjin-gang River April 21-25.
- Carney Completes Formidable Shield 19 NNS 20 May 2019 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Carney (DDG 64) completed her support of the U.S.-led multinational integrated air and missile defense (IAMD) exercise Formidable Shield (FS) 19, May 17.
- New Submarine Force Battle 'E' Instruction Released NNS 20 May 2019 -- Commander, Submarine Forces released an updated instruction for the Battle Efficiency ("E") Competition Award for submarine commands.
- U.S., Allies Conclude Formidable Shield 2019 NNS 20 May 2019 -- Exercise Formidable Shield 2019, a live-fire integrated air and missile defense (IAMD) exercise held at the U.K. Ministry of Defence's Hebrides Range in the vicinity of the Western Isles of Scotland and conducted by Naval Striking and Support Forces NATO (STRIKFORNATO) on behalf of U.S. 6th Fleet, concluded May 19.
- PP19 Concludes Vietnam Mission Stop NNS 20 May 2019 -- Senior mission leadership, host nation and partner nation participants attended the closing ceremony of the sixth Pacific Partnership 2019 mission stop in Vietnam at April First Square, May 17.
- COMPACAF visit to Mongolia affirms growing partnership US Air Force 20 May 2019 -- Gen. CQ Brown Jr., Pacific Air Forces commander, met with senior leaders from Mongolia and the United States, May 14, to seek opportunities to enhance cooperation and partnership with the Mongolian Air Force Command.
- NATO Agency plans for 1.4 billion EUR in upcoming business opportunities NATO 20 May 2019 -- The NATO Communications and Information (NCI) Agency is planning to release 1.4 billion EUR in business opportunities in the next 18 months.
- UK Special Forces 'Joining US Strike Force' in Gulf Amid Iran Tension - Report Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- The USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier strike group earlier arrived for patrols in the Arabian Sea, with the US reportedly ready to deploy as many as 120,000 troops to the Middle East to counter alleged threats from Tehran.
- Remarks by President Trump Before Marine One Departure The White House 20 May 2019
- Remarks by Vice President Pence to U.S. Service Members The White House 20 May 2019
- 20 May 2019 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 20 May 2019
- Cambodia: Giving back to UN peacekeeping UN News 20 May 2019 -- It's an overcast morning, in South Sudan's capital Juba, and growling thunder announces the start of some light rain. Standing in the drizzle in his military police uniform, is Colonel Channy Vongvannak, the commander of the Cambodian Force Military Police at the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS).
- Coast Guard Gives US New Tool in Disputed South China Sea VOA 20 May 2019 -- A rare U.S. Coast Guard exercise in the South China Sea this month shows that the United States is broadening its reach in a disputed waterway, a new pressure point between Washington and the sea's chief claimant Beijing.
- USS Preble Sails Near Scarborough Shoal in South China Sea VOA 20 May 2019 -- The United States military said one of its warships in the South China Sea sailed Monday near the disputed Scarborough Shoal claimed by China and the Philippines.
- US warship sails in disputed South China Sea amid escalating trade tensions Press TV 20 May 2019 -- The US military says its warships have sailed close to the islands claimed by Beijing in the disputed South China Sea, in a move that angered China, which is already engaged in trade tensions with Washington.
- Chinese Navy Warns US Destroyer Sailing in S China Sea as Trade War Reaches Peak Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- The disputed South China Sea is just one of a number of flashpoints in the US-China relationship, which also include a raging trade war, with Washington imposing new tariffs and Beijing responding with tit-for-tat measures last week, as well as the US blacklisting Huawei tech giant.
- Qatar not invited to emergency summits in Saudi Arabia: Official Press TV 20 May 2019 -- Qatar has not received an invitation to take part in two regional summits called to discuss attacks on Saudi oil assets inside the Arab kingdom and off the coasts of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), a Qatari Foreign Ministry official says.
- Qatari Broadcaster Shows Alleged Satellite Images of Damaged Saudi Oil Sites Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- Two Saudi oil facilities located along a major pipeline were hit in a drone attack on Tuesday, which prompted Riyadh to temporarily shut down the pipeline and carry out retaliatory airstrikes on Houthi positions in Yemen.
- Fresh Saudi strike leaves four civilians dead, nearly dozen injured in Yemen Press TV 20 May 2019 -- At least four civilians have been killed when Saudi military aircraft carried out an airstrike on Yemen's northwestern province of Hajjah as the Riyadh regime presses ahead with its bombardment campaign against its southern neighbor.
- Satellite images show major damage to Saudi oil sites as Yemen vows to attack 300 targets Press TV 20 May 2019 -- Satellite imagery has revealed the extent of damage to Saudi Arabia's oil facilities caused by Yemen's drone strikes last Tuesday, which forced the kingdom to temporarily stop oil flow in a major pipeline.
- Saudi Air Defence Intercepts Two Houthis Missiles in Mecca Province - Report Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- Saudi Arabia's air defence system has reportedly intercepted two Houthi missiles in the Mecca province, Reuters reported, citing a statement from the kingdom's embassy in Washington DC.
- Hunger in Yemen: WFP considers aid suspension in face of repeated interference by some Houthi leaders UN News 20 May 2019 -- The UN emergency food relief agency said on Monday that without full access and "freedom to decide" who receives lifesaving aid, in Houthi rebel-controlled areas of Yemen, it could be forced to implement a "phased suspension".
- WFP: Houthi Obstruction May Force Aid Suspension in Parts of Yemen VOA 20 May 2019 -- The World Food Program warned Monday that it may have to suspend the distribution of food aid in Houthi rebel-controlled areas of Yemen, if the group does not stop obstructing its work.
- Yemeni Houthis Plan to Attack Some 300 Targets in Saudi Arabia, UAE - Reports Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- The Yemeni Shia Houthi rebels are going to attack some 300 critical infrastructure facilities in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, local media reported on Sunday.
- What Is Behind Protests Against US-Backed Forces in Eastern Syria? VOA 20 May 2019 -- For three consecutive weeks, residents in parts of the eastern Syrian province of Deir el-Zour have been protesting against U.S.-backed forces that recently defeated Islamic State in its last stronghold there.
- Russia repels missile attack by militants on its main airbase in Syria's Latakia Press TV 20 May 2019 -- The Russian Defense Ministry says its surface-to-air missile systems have managed to foil an attack by militants from the Jabhat Fateh al-Sham terrorist group, formerly known as al-Nusra Front, on its main air base in Syria's western coastal province of Latakia.
- Russia: Syrian army declares unilateral truce in Idlib Press TV 20 May 2019 -- Russia says Syrian government forces have suspended their operations against foreign-backed Takfiri militants in the northwestern province of Idlib as part of a "unilateral" ceasefire.
- Russian Air Force Repels Terrorist Attack on Hmeymim Airbase - MoD Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- The day before, the Russian Centre for Reconciliation in Syria reported that militants had violated the ceasefire regime in Idlib de-escalation zone 13 times in one day, injuring 3 Syrian servicemen.
- Nation hopes US envoy respects facts on Tibet: FM Global Times 20 May 2019 -- China welcomed Terry Branstad, the US Ambassador to China, to visit Southwest China's Tibet Autonomous Region, and hopes he could draw his own conclusions based on facts without prejudice, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
- Message to the Congress on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Stabilization of Iraq The White House 20 May 2019
- Text of a Notice on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Stabilization of Iraq The White House 20 May 2019
- Water Supply to Libyan Capital in Jeopardy After Attack VOA 20 May 2019 -- The United Nations is expressing concern over the reported cut-off of water to the Libyan capital, Tripoli.
- Pakistani PM May Get National Security Advisor to Settle India Issues − Reports Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- It is expected that a former military official will be appointed to the position regardless of the outcome of the Indian general election. Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan believes, however, that there may be better chances of peace talks with India if the current prime minister retains power.
- Palestinians will not attend US-sponsored conference in Bahrain: Minister Press TV 20 May 2019 -- Palestine's Minister of Social Development Ahhmed Majdalani says Palestinians will not participate in an economic conference sponsored by Washington in Bahrain next month as US President Donald Trump will unveil the first part of his so-called "deal of the century" to end the Palestine-Israel conflict during the summit.
- Palestinian cabinet not consulted on US-led Bahrain summit, PM says Press TV 20 May 2019 -- Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh says his government has not been consulted about an economic conference that the United Stated will hold in Bahrain next month.
- Indian Army Warns Pakistan Against Any Misadventure Along the Border Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- The latest warning by the Indian Army comes amidst existing sourness in Indian-Pakistan relations, triggered by the Pakistan-based terror group attacking Indian security personnel and India avenging it through air strikes on Pakistan-based alleged terror camps.
- Terrorist Attacks in Niger, Mali, and Burkina Faso US Dept. of State 20 May 2019 -- "The United States condemns in the strongest terms last week's terror attacks in Niger, as well as recent attacks in Mali and Burkina Faso, which have taken the lives of security forces defending their nations."
- Egyptian Forces Kill 12 Suspected Militants in Raids VOA 20 May 2019 -- Egypt's interior ministry said security forces killed 12 suspected militants during raids Monday near Cairo.
- Children in crisis-torn eastern Ukraine 'too terrified to learn' amid spike in attacks on schools UN News 20 May 2019 -- Schoolchildren are bearing long-lasting mental and physical scars of eastern Ukraine's conflict, the head of the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) said on Monday, as the agency warned of an "alarming" increase in attacks on schools during the first four months of 2019.
- MI5, MI6 Briefed on Trump Dossier Before He Knew of Its Existence - Report Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- The dossier, compiled by former MI6 spy Christopher Steele, additionally contained allegations of Russian interference in Trump's election campaign. In April, a report by Special Counsel Robert Mueller concluded that there was no collusion between the US president and the Kremlin.
- Maduro Proposes Early Elections For Opposition-led National Assembly - Report Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- The country's opposition, headed by self-proclaimed interim president Juan Guaido, won a majority in the National Assembly in the 2015 vote. The next congressional elections are currently scheduled for late 2020.
- Venezuela Oil Output in April Drops to 16-Year Low - US Energy Department Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- Venezuela's oil production hit a 16 year low in April as a result of mismanagement as well as US sanctions against the nation's energy sector, the Energy Information Administration said in a report on Monday.
- Kremlin Says Russia Denies Any Prior, Future Involvement in Cyberattacks Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- Russia neither has been nor will ever be involved in cybercrimes, whereas the involvement of the United States has been officially confirmed, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said in a statement on Monday.
- Britain announces overhaul of espionage, treason laws Press TV 20 May 2019 -- The British government is preparing parliamentary legislation to overhaul the country's espionage and treason laws.
- Jailed in the US, Russian Maria Butina Launches Legal Defense Fundraiser Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- Maria Butina, a Russian national and gun rights activist who was imprisoned in the US after being accused of acting as a foreign agent, is seeking financial support for her legal costs, which include mounting an appeal of her charges.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un's Noble Love for People KCNA 20 May 2019 -- All thinking and practical activities of Kim Jong Un, Supreme Leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, are run through with devoted service for the good of the people.
- Iran Quadruples Uranium Enrichment VOA 20 May 2019 -- Iran said Monday it has quadrupled its uranium enrichment capacity as the war of words between Tehran and Washington shows little sign of cooling off.
- Iran's %3.67 uranium production capacity grows four times IRNA 20 May 2019 -- Spokesman for Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Behrouz Kamalvandi said on Monday that Iran's 3.67-percent uranium production capacity has grown by four times.
- Iran quadruples production of 3.67% enriched uranium: AEOI Press TV 20 May 2019 -- Iran says has increased by fourfold the production rate of uranium enriched to 3.67% just a few weeks after the country officially stopped implementing some of its commitments under an international nuclear accord.
- Tehran Increases Uranium Enrichment Fourfold Amid Iran Deal Suspension - Report Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- The hike comes after Tehran announced on 8 May that it had partially discontinued some of its commitments under the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, giving the other signatories 60 days to ensure Iran's interests were protected under the agreement.
- Zarif Suggests Trump 'Try Respect' Instead of Threats VOA 20 May 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif suggested Monday that U.S. President Donald Trump "try respect" instead of issuing threats.
- Zarif: B_Team empowering military-industrial complex IRNA 20 May 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister in a message slammed Trump's dual standard as regard military-industrial complex saying B_Team under the support of US president is empowering it.
- Never threaten Iranian, try respect-it works: Zarif ISNA 20 May 2019 -- Iran's Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mohammad Javad Zarif responded to US President, Donald Trump's recent warning against Iran, advising him, "Never threaten an Iranian".
- No power higher than Iran's nation, young generation: President Rouhani ISNA 20 May 2019 -- Speaking in a cordial meeting with a number of students and the young, Iran's President said, "May 19 is the reminiscent of the Iranian nation and the young generation's massive turnout in elections".
- Iran says doesn't approve of talks under status quo Press TV 20 May 2019 -- President Hassan Rouhani says despite championing dialog, he absolutely rules out the possibility of such engagement with the United States under the current circumstances.
- Hawkish US senator warns Iran of 'overwhelming military response' Press TV 20 May 2019 -- US Senator Lindsey Graham, a long-time war hawk, has accused Iran of carrying out the recent attacks on oil pipelines and tankers around the Persian Gulf, and warned Tehran to expect "an overwhelming military response" if it harms US interests in the Middle East region.
- UK sides with US amid rising tensions, threatens Iran with 'retaliation' Press TV 20 May 2019 -- The British government, which has on several occasions endorsed Washington's anti-Iran rhetoric amid heightened tensions between the two countries, has once again taken sides with Washington by brazenly threatening the Islamic Republic that in case US interests were attacked in the region, there would be retaliation.
- Trump says no war, but won't let Iran have nuclear weapons Press TV 20 May 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has said he does not want to go to war with Iran, but would not allow Tehran to have nuclear weapons -- a goal the Islamic Republic has never pursued.
- Zarif: Trump's 'Genocidal Taunts' Won't End Iran RFE/RL 20 May 2019 -- The Iranian foreign minister has dismissed what he called Donald Trump's "genocidal taunts" and warned the U.S. president not to threaten Iran.
- Trump, Saudi Arabia Issue New Threats To Iran RFE/RL 20 May 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has issued a new threat to Iran, saying a conflict would be the "official end" of the Islamic republic.
- UK Warns Iran of US Retaliation if Washington's Interests 'Attacked' Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- Earlier in the day, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif lashed out at US President Donal Trump after the latter said that Iran would see its "official end" should it put up a fight against the United States.
- Trump: 'If Iran Wants to Fight, That Will Be the Official End of Iran' Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- US President Donald Trump warned against "threatening" the United States amid recent US-Tehran tensions.
- Xi's visit boosts China's critical rare-earth sector Global Times 20 May 2019 -- A visit by Chinese President Xi Jinping to a rare-earth company in East China's Jiangxi Province on Monday offered huge support to the critical industry that has been widely viewed as a form of leverage for China in the trade war with the US, but one that also faces issues that need to be addressed.
- China completes first successful liquid rocket engine trial Global Times 20 May 2019 -- The first 80-ton liquid-oxygen methane engine in China, named "Tianque" (TQ-12), completed successfully its trial test on Friday, Landspace, an emerging private Chinese rocket company, told the Global Times.
- Advanced rocket engine ready for space mission People's Daily 20 May 2019 -- A company in China has become the third in the world, after two others in the United States, to have developed a new type of rocket engine at the cutting edge of space propulsion, its maker said.
- Cross-strait peace and stability remains priority: president Tsai CNA 20 May 2019 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) hinted Monday that her cross-strait policy will remain unchanged in the future, saying that maintaining peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait will continue to be the focus of her administration.
- Taiwanese will start tasting fruit of government policies: Tsai CNA 20 May 2019 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Monday that Taiwanese will soon start reaping the benefits of her administration's various policies, which has taken a while because it usually requires years for a good policy to deliver results.
- China Bars Taiwan From World Health Assembly VOA 20 May 2019 -- Taiwan is protesting China's decision to exclude the island from participation in the annual World Health Assembly, calling such action an unjustified political move that could harm global health.
- Pakistan's Army to Deploy Division to Protect Economic Corridor With China Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) is set to become a crucial leg of the broader Belt and Road Initiative, Beijing's mega-project aiming to enhance "all-around connectivity through infrastructure construction".
- Balochistan Militants Issue Threat to Chinese President, Pakistan - Report Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- China is investing over $60 billion in the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) that extends from Xinjiang Province in China to Gwadar in Pakistan's Balochistan province. Pakistan has already deployed an army division for CPEC security.
- Ukraine's New President Vows To Dissolve Parliament As PM, Other Key Officials Resign RFE/RL 20 May 2019 -- New Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has pledged to dissolve parliament as the prime minister and key members of his government announced they would resign as the country's new leader seeks fresh political support.
- Ukrainian PM Hroysman Announces Resignation RFE/RL 20 May 2019 -- Ukrainian Prime Minister Volodymyr Hroysman has announced his intention to resign.
- Sudan's junta and protest leaders fail to reach deal, agree to hold more talks Press TV 20 May 2019 -- Sudan's junta and protest leaders have ended another round of negotiations without any agreement on the structure of an interim government to rule the country following the ouster of president, Omar al-Bashir, with more talks planned on Monday.
- Sudan's Military Council, Opposition Resume Talks in Khartoum Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- The Sudanese Transitional Military Council (TMC) and the opposition Forces for the Declaration of Freedom and Change resumed talks in Khartoum on Sunday after a three-day break, according to the TMC statement.
- Algeria's army chief hails elections as best way out of crisis Press TV 20 May 2019 -- The chief of Algerian armed forces says elections are the best way to overcome the country's political crisis and avoid a constitutional vacuum following the ouster of long-time leader Abdelaziz Bouteflika.
- Algeria's parliament appoints interim president, students protest Press TV 20 May 2019 -- Algeria's parliament appointed its upper house chairman as interim president following the resignation of ailing Abdelaziz Bouteflika in the face of weeks of mass demonstrations against his rule.
- Armenian PM Calls For Radical Justice Reforms As 'Second Phase Of Revolution' RFE/RL 20 May 2019 -- Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian has called for a radical reform of the country's judiciary -- contending that many courts have lost their legitimacy and too many judges are beholden to the country's former authorities.
- Main Serbian Party Wins By Landslide In Northern Kosovo Mayoral Poll RFE/RL 20 May 2019 -- Candidates from the main Kosovo Serb party took more than 90 percent of the vote in snap mayoral elections that were held in four predominantly ethnic Serb municipalities in northern Kosovo, according preliminary official results and independent monitors.
- Austrian Far-Right Ministers Leave Government Amid 'Russian Video' Scandal RFE/RL 20 May 2019 -- Austria's far-right Freedom Party (FPO) says that all its ministers will step down from the coalition government amid a corruption scandal.
- Joko Widodo Re-Elected Indonesian President VOA 20 May 2019 -- Indonesian President Joko Widodo, also known as Jokowi, has been re-elected with 55.50% of the vote, defeating former army general Prabowo Subianto. The victory was confirmed by the General Elections Commission (KPU).
- Populists Barnstorm Across Europe With Straightforward Message VOA 20 May 2019 -- The return of Britain's Mr. Brexit, the breezy, barnstorming Nigel Farage, to frontline politics epitomizes the challenge established centrist parties are facing across the 28-member European Union as they struggle to curtail fiery populism in the final days of campaigning in EU parliamentary elections.
- Zuma Seeks Dismissal Of Corruption Charges VOA 20 May 2019 -- Former South African president Jacob Zuma is in court Monday, fighting to have corruption charges against him dismissed.
- Latest Deportation, Disappearances Rattle Thai Dissident Diaspora VOA 20 May 2019 -- Yammy and her friends sleep in shifts. They venture out of the house they share only every few days to stock up on food, and have stopped their live webcasts so as not to give away their location.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|