05 May 2019 Military News
- Afghan President Makes Rare Phone Call to Pakistani PM VOA 05 May 2019 -- Afghanistan's President Ashraf Ghani telephoned Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan on Sunday and the two leaders discussed ongoing Afghan peace efforts, security as and bilateral economic cooperation.
- Taliban Stage Deadly Attack on Afghan Provincial Police Headquarters VOA 05 May 2019 -- A Taliban suicide car bomb-and-gun attack against a provincial police headquarters in northern Afghanistan has killed at least 13 security personnel and injured more than 55 other people.
- Taliban attack hits police HQ in northern Afghanistan, kills over dozen Press TV 05 May 2019 -- At least thirteen people have been killed and scores injured in an attack by the Taliban militant group on the police headquarters in Afghanistan's northern Baghlan Province.
- At Least Eight Dead, Dozens Injured In Taliban Attack On Police HQ RFE/RL 05 May 2019 -- At least eight people have been killed in a suicide attack by the Taliban on a police headquarters in the northern Afghan city of Pul-e-Khumri.
- Afghan Forces Kill Leader in Charge of Daesh Activities in Central Asia- Reports Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- Afghan Special Forces have killed a senior militant leader who was in charge of Daesh* activities in northern Afghanistan and Central Asia, local media reported.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Statement from the National Security Advisor Ambassador John Bolton The White House 05 May 2019 -- "In response to a number of troubling and escalatory indications and warnings, the United States is deploying the USS Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group and a bomber task force to the U.S. Central Command region to send a clear and unmistakable message to the Iranian regime that any attack on United States interests or on those of our allies will be met with unrelenting force."
- Russia Reveals Its First Military Tractor to Be Built in 2019 Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- The newest addition to the Russian Army will allow it to reduce minefield clearance costs, while at the same time increasing the capabilities of mine removal vehicles.
- Arctic version of China threat theory another show of US double standard: experts Global Times 05 May 2019 -- Reports published by US defense authorities labeling China a strategic competitor in the Arctic are selling a new polar version of the China threat theory, Chinese observers warned on Sunday.
- China, Russia conduct first ever joint warship-based live-fire missile exercise Global Times 05 May 2019 -- Chinese and Russian navies conducted on Saturday their first ever joint warship-based live-fire missile exercise, as naval vessels from both sides launched surface-to-air missiles and successfully intercepted incoming anti-ship cruise missile dummies.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Guides Strike Drill of Defence Units in Frontline Area and on Eastern Front KCNA 05 May 2019 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea, chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and supreme commander of the armed forces of the DPRK, guided the strike drill of defence units in the forefront area and on the eastern front which took place in the East Sea of Korea on Saturday.
- DPRK Drills Aimed at Testing Large-Calibre Long-Range MLRS - State Media Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- North Korean drills were aimed at testing large-calibre long-range multiple rocket launchers, tactical guided weapons, the North Korean state-run KCNA news agency reported on Sunday.
- Top DPRK leader guides strike drill of defense units, says KCNA People's Daily 05 May 2019 -- Kim Jong-un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), guided the strike drill of defense units in the East Sea of Korea on Saturday, the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported Sunday.
- India Plans to Build Copy of Britain's Largest Warship – Report Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- UK Minister for Defence Procurement Stuart Andrew remains extremely reticent about a possible deal with India on building an aircraft carrier similar to Britain's biggest warship HMS Queen Elizabeth, the Mirror reported.
- Iran ready to reinforce Iraqi defenses: IRGC aerospace cmdr. Press TV 05 May 2019 -- Iran is prepared to offer various types of assistance to reinforce Iraq's defensive capabilities, including the sharing of experience, says a senior Iranian military commander.
- Turkey will not give in to US sanctions over S-400 deal with Russia: Vice president Press TV 05 May 2019 -- A senior Turkish official says his country will not bow to US sanctions over its agreement to purchase advanced Russian-built S-400 air defense missile systems.
- Turkey Refuses to Bow to US Sanctions Over S-400 Deal Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- The development comes a day after acting US Defence Secretary Patrick Shanahan warned that Washington would cease its manufacturing support for F-35 fighter jets in Turkey if Ankara goes ahead with the purchase of Russian-made S-400 surface-to-air missile defence systems.
- US ends training course for Afghan pilots due to high desertions Press TV 05 May 2019 -- The US military has terminated a training program for Afghan pilots and maintainers in the United States due to high desertion rates among the trainees, the office of the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR) says.
- Israel Promises 'Massive' Response to Gaza Rockets VOA 05 May 2019 -- Palestinian militants fired hundreds of rockets from the Gaza Strip and Israel responded with airstrikes throughout Gaza. At least eight Palestinians and three Israelis have been killed in the violence.
- Nearly two dozen Palestinians killed in Israeli strikes on Gaza Press TV 05 May 2019 -- Fourteen more Palestinians have been killed on the third day of Israeli strikes against the besieged Gaza Strip, bringing the total Palestinian death toll since Friday to 21, while over 150 Palestinians reported injured.
- US backs Israeli attacks on Gaza Strip as 'right to self-defense' Press TV 05 May 2019 -- The United States has backed Israel's deadly airstrikes and shelling of the Gaza Strip, describing the attacks as an act of self-defense.
- Gaza violence enters 3rd day, UN voices concern Press TV 05 May 2019 -- A fresh flare-up of violence in the Gaza Strip caused by deadly Israeli airstrikes and retaliatory Palestinian rocket attacks has entered its third day, prompting the United Nations to raise alarm at the "dangerous escalation."
- Netanyahu Orders Israeli Troops to Continue 'Massive Strikes' on Gaza Targets Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- Tensions in the Gaza Strip escalated early Saturday when Israeli military said they had detected hundreds of rockets fired from the area, with the Iron Dome system managing to intercept "dozens". The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) responded by hitting Hamas and Islamic Jihad terrorist targets.
- US State Department Condemns Rocket Attacks on Israel Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- The US State Department has condemned the recent rocket attacks on Israel and called upon the responsible parties to cease aggression immediately.
- Deadly violence at Israel-Gaza border escalates dangerously: UN chief condemns in strongest terms UN News 05 May 2019 -- The United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, is following with "deep concern" the latest developments across the Gaza-Israeli border and urges all parties to exercise maximum restraint. Over the weekend, hundreds of rockets were launched from the Occupied Palestinian Territory into southern Israel, and Israel retaliated with hundreds of airstrikes and tank fire.
- Turkey 'may go into Syria region despite Russia deal' Press TV 05 May 2019 -- Turkey has hinted that it may send in military forces to the Syrian border region of Tel Rifaat despite an agreement with Russia to stay clear of the area.
- Turkey, Russia Discuss Deployment in Syrian Area Controlled by US Allies: Ankara Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- Ankara has repeatedly announced plans to launch a full-scale operation against the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG), considering them to be a part of the Kurdistan Workers' Party, blacklisted in Turkey as a terror group.
- Militants in Idlib prepare attacks on military sites in western Syria: Report Press TV 05 May 2019 -- Foreign-sponsored Takfiri terrorists positioned in Syria's militant-held northwestern province of Idlib are reportedly getting ready to launch attacks on military sites and safe areas in the neighboring provinces of Latakia and Hama.
- Syrian Army Repelled Attack by Armed Groups in Aleppo Province - Source Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- The Syrian army repelled an attack carried out by armed groups on the village of Maaranaz in Aleppo province in northwestern Syria, a Syrian military source told Sputnik.
- Head of Libya's GNA Calls LNA-Led Offensive on Tripoli 'Stab in The Back' Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- The head of Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA) Fayez Sarraj told Sputnik that the offensive on the country's capital of Tripoli led by the Libyan National Army (LNA) is merely "stab in the back."
- IDF Responds to Rockets Fired from Gaza, Says Hamas Headquarters Destroyed Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- Earlier, Israel Defence Forces said that air-raid sirens were heard in the city of Beer Sheva, the largest city in southern Israel's Negev desert.
- India's ruling party leader in Kashmir killed ahead of polls Press TV 05 May 2019 -- Vice-president of India's ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in the disputed Kashmir's Anantnag district has been killed by unidentified gunmen ahead of elections.
- US: Nicolas Maduro Only 'Ruling for the Moment' VOA 05 May 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Sunday that Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro is only "ruling for the moment" despite last week's failed effort by opposition leader Juan Guaido to overthrow his regime.
- Russia urges US to cancel 'irresponsible' plans for regime change in Venezuela Press TV 05 May 2019 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has condemned Washington's "unprecedented campaign" and "irresponsible plans" aimed at toppling the legitimate government of Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela.
- Venezuela's Maduro calls on military to be 'ready' for US military action Press TV 05 May 2019 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has called on the country's armed forces to be on standby for potential US military action against the Latin American nation following a failed coup attempt earlier this week.
- Trump contradicts Bolton, Pompeo on military option against Venezuela Press TV 05 May 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has contradicted his national security team on pushing for a military intervention against Venezuela, saying he and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin share the goal of a peaceful end to the crisis in the Central American nation.
- Lavrov: Russia 'Condemns' What It Calls U.S. Moves To Topple Venezuela's Maduro RFE/RL 05 May 2019 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has condemned what the Kremlin calls the "irresponsible plans" of the United States aimed at toppling Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
- Russia Urges US to Cancel 'Irresponsible' Plans to Overthrow Maduro by Force Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- The Russian foreign minister has made several comments on the recent attempt to overthrow Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro by the opposition during violent rallies on 30 April and 1 May.
- Pompeo Claims Any US Action in Venezuela, Including Military, to Be 'Lawful' Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's interviews follow a "very positive" phone conversation between Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin, where the two presidents discussed the situation in Venezuela. The sentiment from Trump is in stark contrast to the rhetoric that has recently been emanating from Washington.
- Maduro Praises 'Always Loyal, Never Traitors' Venezuelan Troops Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro's tweets come as Juan Guaido admitted that the opposition had miscalculated its support within the military after a botched coup attempt against legitimately elected Maduro.
- Russian and Venezuelan FMs to Hold Talks After Failed Coup Attempt in Caracas Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov will hold talks on Sunday in Moscow with his Venezuelan counterpart, Jorge Arreaza, to discuss developments in the Latin American country and bilateral relations.
- Guaido Admits Failure in Staging Coup Against Maduro Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido acknowledged on Saturday that errors were made in an attempt to start a military uprising and that he would take any offer from the US to provide a military option in Venezuela to a vote.
- Trump voices confidence in North Korea deal, 'great' Russia ties Press TV 05 May 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has expressed confidence in North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and forging a "deal" with Pyongyang as well as "great relationship" with Russia after a phone conversation with his Russian counterpart and despite the North's latest test firing of missiles.
- 'I Am With Him': Trump Is Confident in Kim Jong-un After DPRK's Latest Launch Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- President Trump on Saturday voiced confidence in North Korea's Kim Jong-un after Pyongyang fired what officials said were multiple large-calibre long-range projectiles.
- US Downplays North Korean Missile Launches VOA 05 May 2019 -- The U.S. on Sunday downplayed North Korea's short-range missile launches, saying it believes there still is an opportunity to reach an agreement to denuclearize the Korean peninsula.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Gives Field Guidance to Kumyagang Power Station No. 2 KCNA 05 May 2019 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea, chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and supreme commander of the armed forces of the DPRK, gave field guidance to Kumyagang Power Station No. 2 on Saturday.
- Europe under criticism for delay to honor commitments to JCPOA IRNA 05 May 2019 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and other Iranian top negotiators are critical of Europe yet to fulfill its commitments to JCPOA, so, the danger of the total loss of the agreement is looming.
- US is doing hostile to Iran with mixed-up mind: Majlis Speaker IRNA 05 May 2019 -- The US Administration is doing a chain of hostile acts against Iran with mixed-up mind, Speaker of Majlis (Iranian Parliament) Ali Larijani said in the formal session on Sunday.
- US cannot exert pressure on Iran: IRGC commander IRNA 05 May 2019 -- Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guard Crops (IRGC) Major General Hossein Salami said on Saturday that Iran's daily bread is not based on oil and the US will not be able to pressure the country.
- One year on, Europe still passive in face of US's JCPOA withdrawal Press TV 05 May 2019 -- Almost a year has passed since the United States withdrew from a landmark multilateral nuclear deal with Iran and reinstated unilateral sanctions against the country. During this time, the Islamic Republic has been chastising European countries for their inaction in the face of Washington's measures, noting that what European partners to the deal have done so far to offset the impact of the sanctions has been far less than sufficient.
- US sanctions will have no political effect on Iran: Zarif Press TV 05 May 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the United States sanctions against Iran will have no political effect on the Islamic Republic.
- IRGC commander: America cannot put Iran in tight spot Press TV 05 May 2019 -- The chief commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says the United States cannot restrict Iran's sources of livelihood as oil sales do not constitute the Islamic Republic's sole source of income.
- Iran Says Will Sell Oil On 'Gray Market' RFE/RL 05 May 2019 -- Iran has mobilized all its resources to sell oil on the "gray market," bypassing U.S. sanctions that Tehran considers illegitimate, Iran's Deputy Oil Minister Amir Hossein Zamaninia said on May 5.
- Iran Switching Its Oil Sales to 'Grey Market' in Bid to Defy US Sanctions Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- The US earlier terminated waivers for several Iranian oil-buying countries, once again threatening them with sanctions if they continue doing business with Tehran. The Islamic Republic has slammed these actions, vowing to continue oil exports despite Washington's efforts.
- China opposes 5G politicking Global Times 05 May 2019 -- While Chinese officials have repeatedly supported unified and open cybersecurity standards for the upcoming 5G era, they would oppose any maneuver by certain countries to politicize the issue and unfairly target any particular country or company, Chinese analysts told the Global Times on Sunday.
- Trump: US to Impose Higher Tariffs on Chinese Exports VOA 05 May 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump, looking to pressure China to speed up talks on a new trade agreement, says that starting Friday he will impose sharply higher tariffs on billions of dollars of Chinese exports to the United States.
- India Complains About Pakistan Intel Agents Harassing its Diplomats – Reports Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- The stand-off between the two nuclear-armed neighbours escalated in mid-February after al-Qaeda* affiliated terrorists believed to be operating from Pakistani territory attacked an Indian security convoy in Pulwama, India. New Delhi subsequently launched airstrikes inside Pakistan that resulted in a series of clashes along the Line of Control.
- Bouteflika's brother, two former intelligence chiefs arrested: Report Press TV 05 May 2019 -- Algerian police have arrested the powerful brother of the North African country's ousted President Abdelaziz Bouteflika and two former intelligence chiefs, reports say.
- Pendarovski Leads In North Macedonia Presidential Vote RFE/RL 05 May 2019 -- Stevo Pendarovski, backed by North Macedonia's ruling party, appears headed for victory in a presidential runoff vote that will be ruled valid after the minimum participation threshold was reached.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|