29 April 2019 Military News
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 29 Apr 2019 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Syria.
- Afghanistan kicks off grand peace assembly in Kabul under tight security Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- Thousands of Afghans have got together under tight security in the capital Kabul to hold four days of negotiations aimed at finding ways to strike a peace deal with the Taliban militant group.
- Afghanistan Opens Loya Jirga To Discuss Peace Talks RFE/RL 29 Apr 2019 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has opened a four-day Loya Jirga, or grand assembly, with more than 3,200 delegates seeking to agree on a common approach to peace talks with the Taliban.
- Ghani Opens Grand Assembly to Discuss Afghanistan's Peace Process VOA 29 Apr 2019 -- Amid criticism, boycotts, and calls for postponement, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani officially launched a loya jirga, or grand assembly of the people, in Kabul Monday to discuss Afghanistan's peace process.
- Prominent Taliban Spy Arrested in Kabul - Reports Sputnik 29 Apr 2019 -- A special unit of the Afghan National Police has arrested a prominent Taliban spy in the Afghan capital of Kabul, the Khaama Press news agency reported on Monday, citing the Afghan Interior Ministry.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Report Finds Rising Military Spending In Europe Amid Russia Fears RFE/RL 29 Apr 2019 -- Military spending in Ukraine and several other Central and Eastern European countries rose sharply in 2018, largely in reaction to perceived threats from Russia, a leading research institute says in a new report.
- Trump admin boosts US military spending for first time in 7 years: SIPRI Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- The US military spending has risen for the first time in seven years, reflecting the Trump administration's policy, according to a new report released Monday by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.
- Presidential Message to the Senate of the United States on the Withdrawal of the Arms Trade Treaty The White House 29 Apr 2019
- John C. Stennis Arrives in Marseille NNS 29 Apr 2019 -- The aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) arrived in Marseille, France, for a scheduled port visit, April 27.
- USS Cheyenne Returns From Deployment NNS 29 Apr 2019 -- The Los Angeles-class fast attack submarine USS Cheyenne (SSN 773) returned from a deployment to Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, April 26.
- ESPS Mendez Nuñez Participates in Carrier Strike Force Operation NNS 29 Apr 2019 -- The Abraham Lincoln and John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Groups (CSG) completed carrier strike force operations in the Mediterranean Sea with the lvaro de Bazan-class Spanish navy frigate ESPS Mendez Nuñez (F 104).
- NMCB-3 Completes Indo-Pacific Deployment, Relieved by NMCB-4 NNS 29 Apr 2019 -- Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 3 transferred authority of all Indo-Pacific Region Naval Construction Force (NCF) missions to NMCB-4 during a Relief in Place/Transfer of Authority (RIP/TOA) ceremony at Camp Shields in Okinawa, Japan, April 19.
- USS Ross Conducts Bilateral Exercise with Turkish Navy NNS 29 Apr 2019 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Ross (DDG 71) participated in maritime interoperability training and replenishment-at-sea with Turkish maritime counterparts April 27 in the Black Sea.
- Navy's High-Speed, Mission-Focused Surface Combatant Completes Advanced Training NNS 29 Apr 2019 -- For the first time in the littoral combat ship's class history, Naval Surface and Mine Warfighting Development Center (SMWDC) conducted Surface Warfare Advanced Tactical Training in the U.S. 3rd Fleet area of operation (AOR).
- Ready for Refit: Navy-Owned Research Vessel Getting Suped-Up for Service NNS 29 Apr 2019 -- Like a classic car being restored, the research vessel (R/V) Roger Revelle is undergoing a year-long makeover to extend its working life, enhance its operating systems, and strengthen its research capabilities for the Navy and scientific organizations.
- USS Ross Conducts Military Exercise With Turkish Navy in Black Sea - US Navy Sputnik 29 Apr 2019 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Ross conducted a military exercise with the Turkish navy over the weekend in the Black Sea, the US Navy said in a press release on Monday.
- 100th space sharing agreement signed, Romania Space Agency joins US Air Force 29 Apr 2019 -- U.S. Strategic Command reached a milestone with the signing of its 100th space situational awareness agreement when the Romanian Space Agency signed an agreement with USSTRATCOM April 25. These agreements foster openness, predictability of space operations and transparency in space activities.
- U.S. vessels conduct 7th transit of Taiwan Strait since July 2018 CNA 29 Apr 2019 -- Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense (MND) confirmed Monday that two American vessels sailed through the Taiwan Strait on Sunday, the seventh such transit since July 2018.
- U.S. Navy uses new tactic in navigating Taiwan Strait: expert CNA 29 Apr 2019 -- Two American vessels sailed through the Taiwan Strait on Sunday with their Automatic Identification System (AIS) on, an unprecedented move used to highlight the international nature of the strait's waters, a military expert said Monday.
- China 'paid close attention' to US warships passing Taiwan Straits Global Times 29 Apr 2019 -- China has paid close attention to US warships passing through the Taiwan Straits, and has made representations to the US side, China's Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
- US warships pass through strategic Taiwan Strait amid tensions with China Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- The US military has once again sent warships through the Strait of Taiwan despite China's repeated calls for Washington to refrain from such military moves – one of the several sources of tension in bilateral ties.
- Two US Navy Warships Transit Taiwan Strait - Report Sputnik 29 Apr 2019 -- The US military said it sent two Navy warships through the Taiwan Strait on Sunday as the Pentagon increases the frequency of movement through the strategic waterway despite opposition from China, Reuters reports.
- Italian Eurofighters to enhance Air Policing capabilities over Romania NATO 29 Apr 2019 -- The Italian Air Force is scheduled to deploy fighter aircraft to Romania under NATO's enhanced Air Policing flying alongside the Romanian Air Force.
- Presidential Message to the Senate of the United States on the Protocol to the North Atlantic Treaty The White House 29 Apr 2019
- Siberian Regional Leader Demands Military Tests Be Moved After Blast Injures Teen RFE/RL 29 Apr 2019 -- The head of Russia's Siberian region of Tyva is demanding the Defense Ministry relocate a military test field away from an area close to a village after a teenager was seriously injured in an explosion.
- Russian vessels arrive in Qingdao for joint exercise with Chinese navy Global Times 29 Apr 2019 -- Russian naval vessels arrived in Qingdao, east China's Shandong Province, on Monday to participate in the Sino-Russian "Joint Sea-2019" exercise.
- Russian warships arrive in Qingdao for joint exercises Global Times 29 Apr 2019 -- Russian warships arrived in Qingdao, a port city in East China's Shandong Province, on Monday to hold scheduled joint naval exercises with China, as military experts said the navies will practice joint defensive operations and show a high level of mutual trust.
- China improves retired soldiers' welfare People's Daily 29 Apr 2019 -- China has released a guideline on solving the difficulties faced by some retired soldiers' in securing social insurance coverage.
- Iran, Oman joint military drill wraps up IRNA 29 Apr 2019 -- A joint military maneuver by Iran and Oman wrapped up on Monday after holding a successful exercise.
- Iran, Russia to perform joint Navy maneuver: Navy cmdr (Updated) IRNA 29 Apr 2019 -- Navy Commander Rear-Admiral Hossein Khanzadi announced on Monday that Iran and Russia are due to carry out joint naval drills in the southern Iranian seas.
- Iran, Russia navies to stage joint drill in Persian Gulf Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- Iranian and Russian military forces will stage a rare naval drill in the Persian Gulf later this year, the commander of Iran's Navy has announced.
- Iran, Turkey sign agreement on border security IRNA 29 Apr 2019 -- Iranian and Turkish delegates held a meeting in Van City to review safety of border lines and signed an agreement on border security.
- Pakistan increases number of troops along Pak-Iran border IRNA 29 Apr 2019 -- Spokesperson of the Pakistan Army says that Pakistan has increased the number of troops along joint border with Iran.
- India Should Not 'Test Our Resolve': Pakistan Army to India on Nuclear Threat Sputnik 29 Apr 2019 -- The Pakistan Army has sought to remind India that it is no more a country of 1971 when the latter managed to divide the Islamic nation.
- Trump, Erdogan talk about Turkey's purchase of Russian S-400 Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- US President Donald Trump and his Turkish counterpart, Tayyip Erdogan, talk about a working group to deal with Ankara's planned purchase of a Russian S-400 missile defense system.
- Turkey interested in Russian weaponry other than S-400: Russia's arms exporter Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- The chief executive of Russia's state-owned arms trade company Rosoboronexport says Turkey has expressed great interest in the acquisition of Russian military hardware other than advanced S-400 air defense missile systems.
- Turkey Interested in Other Russian Weaponry Apart From S-400s – Official Sputnik 29 Apr 2019 -- The contract for Turkey to procure Russian air defence systems has been vehemently opposed by Washington, who is trying to convince Ankara to ditch it threatening the country with sanctions and freezing deliveries of F-35 fighters.
- Beluga Whale With Russian Harness Raises Alarm In Norway RFE/RL 29 Apr 2019 -- Norwegian officials say they are concerned that a harnessed beluga whale found in the Arctic Sea may have come from a Russian military facility.
- Norway Claims to Have Caught Runaway "Spy Whale From Russia" Sputnik 29 Apr 2019 -- A white whale with a sort of harness and a camera mount caught off the coast of northern Norway has triggered suspicions of "Russian spying".
- Russian Missiles in Venezuela Heighten US Tensions VOA 29 Apr 2019 -- Russian military personnel flying into Venezuela in recent weeks were likely sent to ensure the nation's sophisticated S-300 surface-to-air missiles remain a credible deterrent to any U.S. military action against the government of socialist President Nicolas Maduro, according to defense analysts in Latin America, the U.S. and Russia.
- 29 April 2019 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 29 Apr 2019
- UN Chief Warns of Rise in Religion-Based Violence VOA 29 Apr 2019 -- The U.N. secretary-general warned Monday of a "disturbing groundswell" of intolerance and hate-based violence aimed at followers of many faiths, and he called on world leaders to stop it.
- Pompeo says US support for Saudi-led war on Yemen is 'in America's best interest' Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has defended US support for the Saudi-led war on Yemen, saying it is 'in America's best interest".
- Yemeni troops seize villages in Dhale from pro-Hadi forces Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- Yemen's army and allied forces have reportedly seized two villages from forces loyal to the country's former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi in the southwestern Province of Dhale.
- Video purportedly shows Daesh ringleader after 5 years Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- The Takfiri terror group of Daesh has released a propaganda video purporting to show its ringleader Ibrahim al-Samarrai, aka Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, for the first time in five years.
- IS Claims Video Shows Reclusive Leader, Calls for Revenge VOA 29 Apr 2019 -- The Islamic State issued a new video Monday claiming to show its reclusive leader delivering a message to his followers, urging them to seek revenge for the fall of the terror group's self-declared caliphate In Iraq and Syria.
- IS Leader Appears In Video For First Time In Five Years RFE/RL 29 Apr 2019 -- The leader of the extremist Islamic State (IS) group has appeared in a video for the first time in five years.
- Video purportedly shows Daesh ringleader after 5 years Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- The Takfiri terror group of Daesh has released a propaganda video purporting to show its ringleader Ibrahim al-Samarrai, aka Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, for the first time in five years.
- Daesh Head Baghdadi Appears on Video, Vows Revenge for Fallen Militants - Report Sputnik 29 Apr 2019 -- According to recent reports, the leader of the terrorist organisation was hiding in the Iraqi desert while the remnants of Daesh* were fighting for the group's last sliver of land in Baghouz - something which caused anger among the surviving militants.
- Russia vows to expel terrorists out of Syria's Idlib Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says the remnants of Daesh Takfiri terrorists and al-Qaeda affiliate Jabhat al-Nusra militants continue to stage provocations and are reluctant to abide by a ceasefire agreement in the northwestern province of Idlib.
- Turkish airstrikes kill over dozen Kurdish PKK terrorists in northern Iraq Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- Turkish military aircraft have "neutralized" more than a dozen members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group when they carried out a string of airstrikes against a terrorist hideout in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- UN warns of deteriorating humanitarian crisis in Libya Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- The United Nations (UN) has warned against the deteriorating humanitarian situation in Libya as fierce fighting rages on between rival forces for control of the capital, Tripoli.
- Libyan National Army Says Gains Ground on Way to Country's Capital Tripoli Sputnik 29 Apr 2019 -- Forces of the Libyan National Army (LNA) under the command of Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar managed to drive back the units of the Government of National Accord (GNA) on the approaches to Tripoli and are moving toward the city centre, LNA spokesman Ahmed Mismari said on Monday.
- Libyan National Army Claims It Possesses Evidence of Turkey Supporting Daesh Sputnik 29 Apr 2019 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, said on Monday that it possessed documents and other evidence confirming Turkey's support for Daesh*.
- Libya in Turmoil: A Journey Through Tripoli's Tangled War VOA 29 Apr 2019 -- In a suburb of Tripoli on Monday, two gunshots ring out kilometers from where the fighting was the day before.
- EU Extends Myanmar Sanctions by Another Year Over Rights Violations Sputnik 29 Apr 2019 -- The Council of the European Union extended its sanctions against Myanmar on Monday for another year over continued rights violations in the country and repression against the Muslim Rohingya minority, according to an official statement published on the EU website.
- Palestinians reject tax revenues amid Israeli deduction Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- The Palestinians have restated their refusal to accept tax revenues in the wake of the Israeli regime's controversial deduction of certain amounts from the tax it collects on behalf of the Palestinian Authority (PA).
- 'Continuing absence' of political solution to Israel-Palestine conflict 'undermines and compounds' UN efforts to end wholesale crisis UN News 29 Apr 2019 -- The UN is "continuing to address the humanitarian, economic and political crisis in the Occupied Palestinian Territory" but efforts are continually undermined by the lack of any political progress towards a two-State solution, said the head of UN Political and Peacebuilding Affairs (DPPA) on Monday.
- Pompeo says Russia will be meddling in US elections for decades Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has claimed that Russia would seek to interfere in American elections for decades to come, after allegedly meddling in the 2016 presidential elections.
- US Watchdog: 16 Countries 'Egregious' Violators of Religious Freedom VOA 29 Apr 2019 -- An independent U.S. watchdog named 16 nations Monday as "countries of particular concern" for engaging in "systematic, ongoing, egregious violations" of religious freedom.
- U.S. Religion Report Assails China Over Abuses Of Muslims, Calls Russia, Uzbekistan 'Countries Of Particular Concern' RFE/RL 29 Apr 2019 -- Members of China's Uyghur Muslim population continue to be subject to "egregious abuses" but the government in Beijing has faced few, if any, consequences, a bipartisan U.S. federal commission says in its 2019 annual report on religious freedom worldwide.
- Analysts: Ouster of Sudanese Leader Hurts Ankara's Regional Goals VOA 29 Apr 2019 -- The recent ouster of Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir after decades in power is threatening a key Turkish strategic project on the Red Sea.
- Sudan Opposition Discusses Role of Expected Civilian-Military Council VOA 29 Apr 2019 -- Opposition leaders in Sudan are discussing who will sit on a joint civilian-military council expected to run the country for the next two years. Military leaders who ousted President Omar al-Bashir earlier this month agreed to the joint council on Saturday.
- Some 300,000 Venezuelan children in Colombia need humanitarian assistance; UNICEF looks to boost response funding UN News 29 Apr 2019 -- Without increased support, the health, education and well-being of at least 327,000 children from Venezuela living as migrants and refugees in Colombia will be in jeopardy, the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) warned on Monday.
- New Report Documents 'Ever-Increasing Array of Laws' Used In Russian Political Repression RFE/RL 29 Apr 2019 -- The number of political prisoners in Russia has reached above 230 as President Vladimir Putin's government implements an "ever-increasing array of laws specifically designed to criminalize acts of everyday life," according to a new report created with input from the Moscow-based rights group Memorial.
- Suspected UAE spy held in Turkey commits suicide Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- One of the two suspected UAE spies detained by Turkey earlier this month has committed suicide, Turkey's media outlets said on Monday.
- Man Suspected of Spying for UAE Commits Suicide in Turkish Prison - Reports Sputnik 29 Apr 2019 -- One of the two Turkish prison detainees suspected of spying for the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has committed suicide, Turkey's Haberturk media outlet reported on Monday, citing a senior official.
- Huawei a touchstone for ties with China Global Times 29 Apr 2019 -- According to leaks from the UK's National Security Council meeting last week, the UK has agreed to Huawei's involvement in its non-core 5G network. This triggered a great disturbance. British Prime Minister Theresa May was shocked by the leaks and has ordered an inquiry. Some people, including critics in the US, have asked May to change her government's position on Huawei.
- US warns UK of risks to intelligence sharing over Huawei Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- A senior US official has hinted that Britain could be denied having access to American intelligence if it goes ahead with involving Chinese giant telecommunication company Huawei in plans to build its next-generation internet network.
- Iran oil clients to find ways of resisting US sanctions: Zarif ISNA 29 Apr 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif says the US decision to end sanctions waivers on imports of Iranian oil has angered Washington's allies, noting that they will find ways to resist the measures.
- FM: Iran oil clients to find ways of resisting US sanctions Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the US decision to end sanctions waivers on imports of Iranian oil has angered Washington's allies, noting that they will find ways to resist the measures.
- US plan to cripple Iranian economy doomed to fail: First VP Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- Iran's First Vice President Es'haq Jahangiri says a recent plan by the administration of US President Donald Trump to reduce Iran's oil exports to zero is doomed to fail, because Americans ignore the country's immense economic potentialities.
- US sanctions on Iran's oil industry harm global markets' stability: Official Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- A senior Iranian official says US sanctions against Iran's oil industry will harm the stability of global markets, adding that the three European sides to a 2015 landmark nuclear agreement should live up to their promises to make up for Washington's restrictions.
- Iran to ignore EU demands, get even with US: Larijani Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- Parliament speaker Ali Larijani says Iran no longer holds value for Europe's demands as European governments have let it down in fighting hostile US policies, pledging that the Islamic Republic will "get even" with the US on its own.
- Iran decries Europe's inaction, pledges response to 'unlawful' US behaviors Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- Iran says it soon will give an appropriate response to the unlawful behaviors of the United States after making a comprehensive assessment of the present situation.
- IMF: Iran Inflation Could Reach 40 Percent Amid Sanctions RFE/RL 29 Apr 2019 -- Iran's economy is expected to shrink by six percent this year and inflation could reach 40 percent, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) forecasts, as the country copes with the impact of tighter U.S. sanctions.
- Iran Won't Negotiate With US Under Pressure - Revolutionary Guards General Sputnik 29 Apr 2019 -- Earlier this month, relations between Washington and Tehran deteriorated as the US formally designated the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) as a foreign terrorist organisation, while Iran retaliated by blacklisting the entire US military as terrorists.
- Iran is a 'Force for Stability in the Region' – Foreign Minister Zarif Sputnik 29 Apr 2019 -- Javad Zarif has noted the role that Iran plays in the Middle East region, while criticising the US, who sees itself as a "force for good" despite "aligning with the wrong people".
- IMF: US Sanctions Cutting Iranian Growth, Boosting Inflation VOA 29 Apr 2019 -- The International Monetary Fund is forecasting Iran's economy to shrink by 6% this year as it faces pressure from U.S. sanctions.
- Border patrol officers keep Xinjiang secure Global Times 29 Apr 2019 -- Farmers and herdsmen have been deployed as civilian border guards in Aksu Prefecture, Northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region to work with local police officers to patrol border areas to stop any suspected terrorists from either leaving or sneaking into Chinese territory.
- China sets up special passages at 18 ports to fast track exit-entry procedures for BRI-related people People's Daily 29 Apr 2019 -- Starting Sunday, 12 Chinese airports including those in Beijing and Shanghai, six road ports in Manzhouli in North China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region and Khorgas in Northwest China's XinjiangUyghur Autonomous Region, will set up special Belt and Roadpassages to facilitate exit-entry procedures for people involved in the initiative.
- China slams Washington's 'gross interference' over Hong Kong matter Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- China has denounced the behavior of the US Department of State as "gross interference" in the issue of the imprisonment of activist leaders of a pro-democracy movement in Hong Kong.
- Pompeo: US-China Trade Talks Will Not Be Impacted by End of Iran Oil Waivers VOA 29 Apr 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says Washington's decision to end Iran oil waivers to China will not have a negative impact on the latest trade talks between the world's two leading economies.
- Eight Nominees Submit Applications To Run For Kazakh President RFE/RL 29 Apr 2019 -- Eight nominees, including interim President Qasym-Zhomart Toqaev, who is expected to win, have submitted applications to run for president of Kazakhstan in the June snap election, the Central Election Commission said on April 29.
- China, Pakistan sign deal on peaceful use of space Global Times 29 Apr 2019 -- A newly signed space exploration agreement between China and Pakistan on manned space missions manifests their more profound cooperation on the peaceful use of outer space, experts said.
- China's Chang'e-4 probe resumes work for fifth lunar day People's Daily 29 Apr 2019 -- The lander and the rover of the Chang'e-4 probe have resumed work for the fifth lunar day on the far side of the moon after "sleeping" during the extreme cold night.
- Pakistan Moving to Bring Madrassas Under State Control VOA 29 Apr 2019 -- Pakistan announced Monday a major reform plan for the "mainstreaming" of more than 30,000 Islamic seminaries, known as madrassas, amid long-running allegations some of these religious schools promote violent extremism and maintain ties to transnational terrorist networks.
- Pakistan, IMF Launch Final Round Of Talks On $8 Billion Bailout RFE/RL 29 Apr 2019 -- Pakistan and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) have begun the final round of negotiations over the $8 billion rescue package for Islamabad amid a deepening economic crisis.
- California Man Arrested in Terror Plot to Detonate Explosive Device Designed to Kill Innocents US Dept. of Justice 29 Apr 2019 -- Mark Steven Domingo, 26, of Reseda, California, was arrested Friday night after he received what he thought was a live bomb, but in fact was an inert explosive device that was delivered by an undercover law enforcement officer as part of an investigation by the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force.
- Sri Lanka on alert for attacks by militants in military uniforms Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- Sri Lankan security officials have warned that militants behind a series of deadly blasts targeting churches and hotels on Easter Sunday are planning a new wave of such attacks and could disguised in military uniforms.
- Sri Lanka Asks India to Send Anti-Terror Commandos After Easter Blasts - Report Sputnik 29 Apr 2019 -- India, which also helped Sri Lanka in ending the reign of the militant organisation LTTE about a decade ago, doesn't intend to send troops out of its own volition and is waiting for a formal request, a media report said.
- Sri Lanka Bans Face Veils VOA 29 Apr 2019 -- Sri Lanka, still reeling from the impact of the deadly Easter Sunday explosions, has banned women from wearing face veils.
- Erdogan: Turkey will either 'live or die' in confronting foreign powers Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey will not surrender to economic terrorism of "foreign powers", vowing to confront "those who are plotting against our people".
- Berlin Summit Seeks To Relaunch Serbia-Kosovo Talks RFE/RL 29 Apr 2019 -- French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel will co-host a regional summit in Berlin on April 29 in a bid to reboot dialogue between Serbia and Kosovo.
- Spain's Center Citizens Party Rules Out Coalition Deal With Socialists Sputnik 29 Apr 2019 -- The centre-right Citizens party won't enter into any coalition agreements with the Spanish Socialist Workers' Party (PSOE), which won Sunday snap parliamentary elections, as it sees its talks with Catalan and Basque nationalists as unacceptable, Ines Arrimadas, one of the centrists' leaders said on Monday.
- Spain's Splits Laid Bare as Socialists Win, Far Right Gains First Seats VOA 29 Apr 2019 -- Spain's ruling Socialist party has won Sunday's general election with around 29% of the vote. Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez is set to begin coalition talks to try to form a government.
- Rains Pound Mozambique After Cyclone, Hampering Aid Deliveries VOA 29 Apr 2019 -- Rains continued to pound northern Mozambique Monday, hampering aid deliveries in the aftermath of Cyclone Kenneth, as the death toll from the storm rose to 38.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|