28 April 2019 Military News
- Afghanistan To Hold Loya Jirga Grand Assembly To Discuss Peace Talks RFE/RL 28 Apr 2019 -- Afghanistan is scheduled on April 29 to convene a rare Loya Jirga -- a traditional gathering of elders, religious scholars, and prominent Afghans -- with more than 2,000 people from across the country having been invited to discuss U.S.-led peace efforts.
- Pakistan: Afghan Peace to Boost China-Funded Regional Connectivity Effort VOA 28 Apr 2019 -- Pakistan said Sunday peace in Afghanistan is key to increasing economic connectivity with Central Asian countries under China's global Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), of which Islamabad is a major beneficiary.
Defense Policy / Programs
- World military spending grows to $1.8 trillion, new SIPRI data SIPRI 29 Apr 2019 -- Total world military expenditure rose to $1822 billion in 2018, representing an increase of 2.6 per cent from 2017, according to new data from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI). The five biggest spenders in 2018 were the United States, China, Saudi Arabia, India and France, which together accounted for 60 per cent of global military spending.
- Russia open to possible new arms control pacts with US: Kremlin aide Press TV 28 Apr 2019 -- A Russian official says Moscow is open to the possibility of negotiating new arms control agreements with Washington, but the United States should first honor the existing ones, shortly after a report said US President Donald Trump seeks a new deal with Moscow and Beijing.
- CENTCOM chief suggests readiness to deter unspecific Iran action Press TV 28 Apr 2019 -- Commander of US Central Command (CENTCOM) has reportedly implied his forces possess essential resources to deter what he claimed as "dangerous" actions by Iran, further insisting on "long-term presence" of US forces in Iraq.
- IRGC surveillance drone films US warships in Persian Gulf Press TV 28 Apr 2019 -- Iranian media have released high-quality footage that shows a surveillance drone belonging to the elite Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) flying over an American aircraft carrier in the Persian Gulf and capturing images of the aircraft parked on its deck.
- Iran not after closing Strait of Hormuz: Military chief IRNA 28 Apr 2019 -- Closing the Strait of Hormuz is not on the agenda of Iran's Armed Forces who are providing the security of the critical waterway, Iranian military chief of staff Major General Mohammad Baqeri said on Sunday.
- US ships still responsive to IRGC in Strait of Hormuz: Top Iranian cmdr. Press TV 28 Apr 2019 -- Iran's top military commander says all American ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz have so far remained answerable to the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) as the force in charge of security in the strategic waterway despite Washington's latest wave of hostile measures against the Iranian nation.
- 'It took me one call': Trump brags how he made King Salman pay more for US military support Press TV 28 Apr 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has boasted to his supporters about a bizarre phone call with Saudi Arabia's King Salman, where he made the monarch pay more money in exchange for the military support that the kingdom receives from Washington.
- China develops unique heat-resistant material for hypersonic aircraft Global Times 28 Apr 2019 -- Chinese scientists have developed a new heat-resistant material for hypersonic aircraft which can endure over 3,000 C from friction caused by a Mach 5-20 flight within the atmosphere.
- Indian carrier's fire likely result of lax military regulation: Chinese experts Global Times 28 Apr 2019 -- Chinese military experts on Sunday said that India's military culture cannot keep up with its ambitious weapon and equipment development, which might be the reason behind its aircraft carrier's fatal fire on Friday.
- US Not Sharing Any Info on Pak's Alleged Use of F-16 in India Dogfight – Reports Sputnik 28 Apr 2019 -- India has accused Pakistan of violating a fighter jet sale deal with the United States, claiming that Islamabad had downed an Indian warplane using an F-16 in late February that was allegedly acquired under a "fight against terrorism" programme.
- President Tsai thanks U.S. for continued support of Taiwan CNA 28 Apr 2019 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Sunday expressed gratitude to the United States government for continuing to make arms sales to Taiwan and for its cooperation in helping Taiwan bolster its self-defense capabilities.
- US-backed SDF militants open fire on protesters in Syria's Dayr al-Zawr Press TV 28 Apr 2019 -- US-sponsored and Kurdish-led militants from the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have opened fire for the second straight day at people protesting their atrocious activities and demanding their withdrawal from Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr.
- US-led coalition killed over 1600 civilians in Syria's Raqqa: Rights groups Press TV 28 Apr 2019 -- The US-led military coalition to purportedly fight the Daesh (ISIL) terrorists in Syria, has killed more than 1,600 civilians in the country's northern city of Raqqa during months of airstrikes that led to eviction of the foreign-backed militants, two UK-based rights groups said, noting that the figure reflects hundreds more than the number claimed by the mainly Western coalition.
- Airstrikes by forces of renegade Libyan general kill 4 in Tripoli Press TV 28 Apr 2019 -- A series of aerial raids by renegade Libyan general Khalifa Haftar's so-called Libyan National Army (LNA) has killed at least four people and wounded 20 others in Libya's capital, Tripoli.
- Haftar forces send warship to oil port for first time Press TV 28 Apr 2019 -- Forces loyal to Libya's rebel General Khalifa Haftar have dispatched a warship to the oil port of Ras Lanuf for the first time and carried out airstrikes against the capital, Tripoli.
- Libyan GNA Claims Foreign-Owned Warplanes Behind Strikes on Tripoli Sputnik 28 Apr 2019 -- On 4 April, General Khalifa Haftar, whose forces control Eastern Libya, announced the first phase of an offensive intended to gain control of forces loyal to Tripoli, prompting the mobilisation of the defense. In response, armed forces loyal to the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) launched a military op against the LNA.
- Haftar's Forces Reportedly Sent Warship to Secure Oil Export Port Sputnik 28 Apr 2019 -- Forces from the Libyan National Army (LNA) led by General Khalifa Haftar and in control of the country's east have been besieging Tripoli, the capital of the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) in control of Libya's west, since 4 April.
- Escalated Clashes in Libya Pose Threat to Oil Production – National Oil Corp. Sputnik 28 Apr 2019 -- The escalated hostilities in Libya may result in reduction of oil production and fuel shortages in the country, Chairman of the National Oil Corporation (NOC) Mustafa Sanalla said.
- 'Don't Waste Your Time,' Zelenskiy Tells Putin After Citizenship Offer To Ukrainians RFE/RL 28 Apr 2019 -- Ukraine's President-elect Volodymyr Zelenskiy has told Moscow "not to waste time trying to lure Ukrainian citizens with Russian passports," after Russian President Vladimir Putin said Moscow could ease the process of granting Russian citizenship to Ukrainians.
- Ukraine to grant citizenship to Russians 'suffering' under Putin's rule Press TV 28 Apr 2019 -- Ukraine's president-elect offers to provide citizenship to Russian nationals "suffering" from what he calls the "authoritarian" regime ruling the country in response to Moscow's decision to offer Ukrainians in eastern conflict zones quick citizenship.
- Sudan army, opposition agree on joint civilian-military council: Sources Press TV 28 Apr 2019 -- Sudan's military rulers and protest leaders have agreed on the formation of a joint civilian-military council that would lead a transition from three decades of autocratic rule by Omar al-Bashir.
- Sudanese Opposition, Military Agreed to Create Joint Council – Reports Sputnik 28 Apr 2019 -- The Sudanese opposition coalition and the Transitional Military Council (TMC) reached an agreement on creating a joint transitional council, local media reported.
- Maduro Says Venezuela Now Free of 'US Ministry of Colonies' Sputnik 28 Apr 2019 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro described the country's withdrawal from the Organization of the American States (OAS) as a liberation from the "US ministry of colonies."
- Spain PM wins snap elections marked by far-right emergence Press TV 28 Apr 2019 -- With nearly all votes counted, Spain's socialist prime minister wins snap elections on Sunday but without the necessary majority to govern as far-right party Vox prepares to enter parliament for the first time since the death of dictator Francisco Franco in 1975.
- Socialists Win Divisive Spanish Elections VOA 28 Apr 2019 -- Spain's governing Socialist party won the most votes in elections held Sunday but has fallen far short of an overall majority.
- Kremlin Spokesman Praises Kim as 'Professional, Well-Trained' Leader Sputnik 28 Apr 2019 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un proved to be a professional and well-trained head of state during his recent expanded-format talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin in the Russian Far East, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Sunday.
- Bolton: US Ignored $2 Million Bill from North Korea VOA 28 Apr 2019 -- The U.S. signed a document agreeing to pay North Korea $2 million for the medical care of American Otto Warmbier who had been detained by Pyongyang, U.S. national security adviser John Bolton said Sunday, but then ignored the bill and never paid it.
- Envoy terms JCPOA as result of Iran's successful diplomacy IRNA 28 Apr 2019 -- Iranian Ambassador to France described Iran's nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) as the result of a successful, efficient and effective diplomacy in a complicated issue.
- Europeans not fulfill their JCPOA commitments: Iran's ambassador to France ISNA 28 Apr 2019 -- Iran's ambassador to France said, the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) is the result of a successful, efficient and influential diplomacy in a complicated and difficult issue, which is valuable for United Nation, European Union and Security Council as a historical achievement.
- "If Iran's oil not to pass through Strait of Hormuz, others' oil won't pass either" ISNA 28 Apr 2019 -- Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces, Major General Mohammad Bagheri stressed that if Iran's oil is not to pass through the Strait of Hormuz, other countries' oil won't pass through the strait either.
- B-team targeting Iranians with economic terror, war: Iran FM Press TV 28 Apr 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has slammed contradictory approaches pursued by US National Security Adviser John Bolton and what he calls "the B-Team," saying they are targeting the Iranian nation with "economic terrorism."
- NPT withdrawal an option after US sanctions re-imposed: Iran FM Press TV 28 Apr 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says Tehran is weighing various options, including leaving the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), in response to the re-imposition of sanctions by the administration of US President Donald Trump.
- Iran Suggests Leaving NPT Nuclear Treaty Possible if US Tightens Sanctions - FM Sputnik 28 Apr 2019 -- Earlier in April relations between Washington and Tehran deteriorated after the US formally blacklisted the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) military unit as a foreign terrorist group, with Iran responding by first designating the US Central Command and then the entire US military as terrorists.
- Iran's Zarif: US Trying to 'Bring Iran to Its Knees' VOA 28 Apr 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif is accusing the United States of trying to "bring Iran to its knees" and overthrow its government by seeking to thwart its international oil trade.
- Hezbollah will eventually prevail over US sanctions: Official Press TV 28 Apr 2019 -- A high-ranking Hezbollah official says the United States has slapped economic sanctions against the Lebanese resistance movement due to its bitter defeats from the group, stressing that Hezbollah will finally emerge victorious over the punitive measures.
- Two Main Suspects in Sri Lanka Terror Attacks Detained - Reports Sputnik 28 Apr 2019 -- The police previously stated that at least 20 suspects had been arrested in recent days in connection with the Easter bombings earlier this month that claimed the lives of more than 250 people and wounded 500 others.
- Sri Lankan Police Enter HQ of Group Blamed for Easter Attacks VOA 28 Apr 2019 -- Sri Lankan police entered the headquarters Sunday of the terrorist group believed to be behind the deadly Easter Sunday explosions at churches and luxury hotels that killed more than 250 people.
- UN appeals for international support as flood waters rise in wake of second Mozambique cyclone UN News 28 Apr 2019 -- With Mozambique and Comoros battling heavy rains and raging flood waters in the wake of Cyclone Kenneth – the second major storm to hit southern Africa in the past six weeks – the United Nations and its humanitarian partners are supporting national authorities in assessing needs and providing help.
- 5 Killed as Cyclone Kenneth Slams Into Mozambique VOA 28 Apr 2019 -- Authorites in Mozambique have urged citizens to "seek higher ground" to avoid the flooding and mudslides that are sure to come in the aftermath of Cyclone Kenneth.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|