14 April 2019 Military News
- Afghan Forces Kill 128 Taliban Militants in Country's North, Northeast, East Sputnik 14 Apr 2019 -- Afghan security forces have killed a total of 128 members of the Taliban movement and wounded 40 more in the north, northeast and east of the country, the Afghan Defense Ministry, Interior Ministry and the National Directorate of Security said on Sunday.
- Abdullah Says Won't Attend Afghanistan's Planned Peace Loya Jirga RFE/RL 14 Apr 2019 -- Afghanistan's Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah says he will boycott a planned meeting of nearly 2,500 Afghan politicians and tribal, ethnic, and religious leaders aimed at discussing negotiations with the Taliban.
- Airstrike Kills Deputy Leader of IS in Somalia VOA 14 Apr 2019 -- The deputy leader of the Islamic State group in Somalia has been killed in an airstrike, a Somali regional minister told VOA.
- US military campaign in Somalia could take seven more years to complete: Report Press TV 14 Apr 2019 -- US defense officials estimate that Washington's military campaign in Somalia could take seven years to complete, a new report has revealed, days after President Donald Trump extended the Pentagon's mission for allegedly combating terrorism in the horn of Africa nation.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russia Will React 'Accordingly' to NATO Activity in Black Sea – Deputy FM Sputnik 14 Apr 2019 -- Earlier in April, NATO announced a decision to increase its naval presence and conduct military drills in the Black Sea.
- China builds world's first armed amphibious drone boat that can lead land assault Global Times 14 Apr 2019 -- China has built the world's first armed amphibious drone boat which military analysts said could be used in land assault operations and is capable of forming a combat triad with aerial drones and other drone ships.
- India confident US cannot impose sanctions over S-400 Press TV 14 Apr 2019 -- India says it is confident it will avoid US sanctions over its purchase of Russia's S-400 missile system, which has become a lightning rod in American dispute with China and Turkey.
- India Called 'Nuke-Armed' Pak's Bluff With Balakot Air Strikes – Modi Sputnik 14 Apr 2019 -- While the parliamentary poll is in full swing in India, PM Narendra Modi has addressed an audience at an election rally detailing why he prioritises security issues in his policies, as well as pondering on the soured ties with Pakistan.
- Russia Hails Turkey's Stance on S-400 Systems Despite US Pressure - Kremlin Sputnik 14 Apr 2019 -- Moscow welcomes Turkey's uncompromising position with regard to the purchase of S-400 air defence systems from Russia in spite of the pressure applied by the United States, Russian presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov has stated.
- Remarks With Colombian President Ivan Duque US Dept. of State 14 Apr 2019 -- Remarks by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- Philippines 'Never Shelved' Anti-China UN Ruling on S China Sea Sputnik 14 Apr 2019 -- Previously, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte admitted that the disputed South China Sea is essentially "in possession" of Beijing and called for all nations to avoid creating frictions with China over it. At the same time, he warned Beijing against "touching" the Manila-controlled Pag-asa Island in the disputed region.
- Disputed Drilling: Beijing Announces First South China Sea Deepwater LNG Site Sputnik 14 Apr 2019 -- The first Chinese-manufactured and operated offshore drilling platform has started operations in the South China Sea in recent days, according to the China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC).
- Leader: Houthi Rebels Open to Relations With US VOA 14 Apr 2019 -- More than four years after a brutal civil war in Yemen that has claimed thousands of lives and has pushed millions to the brink of starvation, Houthi rebels are ready to establish relations with the United States, an official responsible for the group's foreign affairs told VOA.
- Yemeni Prime Minister Lauds Saudi Support in Defeating the Coup and Restoring State Institutions SPA 14 Apr 2019 -- Yemeni Prime Minister Maeen Abdulmalik affirmed that the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen under leadership of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia supports the battle of defeating the coup and restoring the state's institutions in Yemen.
- Iraqi FM: Golan is Syrian territory IRNA 14 Apr 2019 -- Iraqi Foreign Minister Mohammad Ali al-Hakim said on Sunday that his country rejects the US president's allegations on the occupied Syrian Golan as it contradicts the international legitimacy, SANA reported.
- At least 6 civilians killed in terrorist rocket attack on Syria's Aleppo Press TV 14 Apr 2019 -- At least six civilians have lost their lives after a barrage of rockets fired by terrorists hit some neighborhoods of Syria's northwestern city of Aleppo.
- UN envoy, Syria FM hold 'substantial' political process talks Press TV 14 Apr 2019 -- United Nations Special Envoy for Syria Geir Pedersen says he has held "detailed substantial" talks with Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem on efforts to find a political solution to the country's eight-year-long war.
- Fate of Middle East must only be decided by its people: Syria's Assad Press TV 14 Apr 2019 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says the fate of the Middle East must only be determined by regional nations rather than outsiders, no matter how grave the crises they are grappling with might be.
- Iraqi forces destroy 18 ISIS hideouts in Al-Anbar IRNA 14 Apr 2019 -- The Iraqi security forces have discovered and destroyed 18 hideouts belonging to ISIS (Daesh) terrorists in Al-Anbar Province western Iraq.
- Libya's UN-backed govt. says downed Haftar warplane Press TV 14 Apr 2019 -- Libya's UN-backed government says its military has shot down a fighter jet belonging to the so-called Libyan National Army (LNA), led by strongman Khalifa Haftar, whose forces are fighting for the control of the capital Tripoli.
- In fight for Libyan capital, 120 have been killed: WHO Press TV 14 Apr 2019 -- On April 4, the self-styled Libyan National Army (LNA) launched a major military offensive against the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA). Now the World Health Organization says more than 120 people have been killed due to the clashes ever since.
- Haftar's Army Blames Tripoli Forces for Attacking Civilian Targets – Spokesman Sputnik 14 Apr 2019 -- A spokesman for the Libyan National Army of Marshal Khalifa Haftar on Sunday blamed the forces loyal to the rival administration in Tripoli for attacking residential areas in the capital.
- Fighter Jet of Haftar's Forces Downed Near Tripoli Sputnik 14 Apr 2019 -- Fighting in Libya has escalated in recent weeks, as clashes between Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar's Libyan National Army (LNA) and forces loyal to the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) near the city of Tripoli has claimed live of more than 120 people.
- WHO Says Over 120 Killed in Libya Since Escalation of Violence Near Tripoli Sputnik 14 Apr 2019 -- A total of 121 people have been killed in Libya in less than two weeks since the renewal of clashes between the Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, and the forces loyal to the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) near the country's capital Tripoli, the World Health Organisation said.
- Libyan Government of National Accord Accuses Haftar Forces of School Shelling Sputnik 14 Apr 2019 -- The Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA), which controls the western parts of Libya, has accused the Libyan National Army (LNA) that is headed by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar of shelling a school in southern Tripoli.
- Pakistan's Hazara Muslims keep sit-in going after Quetta bombing Press TV 14 Apr 2019 -- Hazara Shia Muslims have held the third straight day of a sit-in in the southwestern Pakistani city of Quetta to demand better security in the wake of a terrorist attack that killed two dozen people at a market there.
- 'Down With Terrorism': Pakistan's Minority Hazara Protest For Third Day After Attack RFE/RL 14 Apr 2019 -- Members of Pakistan's Shi'ite ethnic Hazara minority have held a sit-in protest in the southwestern city of Quetta for a third consecutive day, following a deadly suicide bombing that appeared to target the community.
- Armenian, Azeri Foreign Ministers To Discuss Nagorno-Karabakh 'Settlement' In Moscow RFE/RL 14 Apr 2019 -- Moscow is set to host the Armenian and Azerbaijani foreign ministers on April 15 for talks on the conflict over Azerbaijan's breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh.
- Hamas: Abbas' new government will ease way for US 'deal of century' Press TV 14 Apr 2019 -- The Hamas resistance movement has criticized the formation of the new Palestinian government dominated by the Fatah party, saying such a government will ease the way for the imposition of the United States' yet-to-be-unveiled proposal on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Release of Mueller Russia Report on 2016 US Election Appears Imminent VOA 14 Apr 2019 -- Release appears imminent of a redacted version of special counsel Robert Mueller's nearly 400-page report on Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, but sparring over Mueller's conclusions is already rampant.
- Troika statement on the current unrest in Sudan UK FCO 14 Apr 2019 -- The UK, US and Norway have issued a joint statement on the situation in Sudan.
- Sudan Protest Group Calls for Civilian Government VOA 14 Apr 2019 -- Sudan's main protest organizers have called for the immediate handover of power to a civilian government in the wake of the military coup that ousted President Omar al-Bashir last week.
- Sudan's future in question Global Times 14 Apr 2019 -- Sudan's current situation was caused by a combination of economic problems and a corrupt political system, but a change of government may not solve its problems. The new administration and the public will have to face up to a worsening economic situation.
- Sudanese opposition alliance demands involvement of civilians in joint presidential council People's Daily 14 Apr 2019 -- Sudan's opposition Freedom and Change Alliance on Saturday demanded the transitional military council involve civilians in a joint presidential council.
- Saudi Arabia backs new Sudan ruler and ex-Yemen war czar Press TV 14 Apr 2019 -- Saudi Arabia, gloating over the fall of Sudan's longtime ruler Omar al-Bashir, has expressed support for measures taken by the Sudanese transitional military council following his ouster.
- UAE welcomes appointment of Al-Burhan new head of Sudan's transitional military council SPA 14 Apr 2019 -- The UAE has welcomed the appointment of Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah Al Burhan Abdelrahman as the new head of Sudan's transitional military council.
- Bahrain's King affirms support for Sudan SPA 14 Apr 2019 -- King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa of Kingdom of Bahrain has affirmed his country's solidarity with and support for Sudan and expressed his appreciation of the tremendous efforts being exerted by General Abdulfattah AlBurhan, Chairman of the Military Transitional Council, to boost the security, peace and prosperity of the Sudanese people.
- Sudan's Military Council Retires Defence Chief, Envoys to US and Switzerland Sputnik 14 Apr 2019 -- Sudan's military council announced a number of measures in reforming the country after the Sudanese army ousted President Omar Bashir, who had ruled the country for 30 years, amid months-long anti-government protests.
- Pompeo: Venezuelan People Won't Tolerate Maduro Much Longer VOA 14 Apr 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says he does not think the Venezuelan people will tolerate the Maduro regime much longer.
- Mnuchin: US to pump $10bn into Venezuela's shattered trade after Maduro Press TV 14 Apr 2019 -- In yet another move to undermine the legitimate government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has announced that Washington is working on a $10 billion package of trade finance to help the Latin American country out of its economic and humanitarian crisis once a "new government" is put in place.
- Pompeo on Latin America tour to build up support for Maduro ouster Press TV 14 Apr 2019 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who is on a tour of four Latin American countries, has called for maintaining regional pressure on Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his government.
- Venezuelan Militia to Become Part of National Bolivarian Armed Forces - Maduro Sputnik 14 Apr 2019 -- Venezuela will amend its legislation in order to make the militia a part of the National Bolivarian Armed Forces, Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said in his address on Sunday.
- Iran denounces Pompeo's 'ridiculous' claim of meddling in Venezuela Press TV 14 Apr 2019 -- Iran has denounced US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's claim that Tehran is interfering in the internal affairs of Caracas, saying Washington is the one that must stop meddling in Venezuela and targeting its nation with "economic terrorism".
- Pompeo: 'Iranian Money Remains In Latin America' RFE/RL 14 Apr 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says there is "no doubt" that Iran has a financial presence in South America and that Tehran remains a "global threat."
- Pompeo Claims Iranian Money Remains in South America Sputnik 14 Apr 2019 -- Over the last week, the US secretary of state has toured Latin America, building a coalition for Washington's policy against Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and slamming China and Russia for backing him. The trip will culminate with his visit to the Columbian city of Cucuta on the Venezuelan border.
- In response to top DPRK leader, U.S. expresses cautious expectation of 3rd summit People's Daily 14 Apr 2019 -- In response to the latest remarks of Kim Jong Un, the top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), over his possible third summit with U.S. President Donald Trump, Washington on Saturday highlighted the progress made after the Hanoi meeting and expressed cautious expectation of the third summit.
- FM: Iran announces setting up institutes parallel to INSTEX IRNA 14 Apr 2019 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said that Iran has informed the European Union (EU) of establishing institutions parallel to the Instrument in Support of Trade Exchanges (INSTEX).
- Europe has no excuse to delay INSTEX: Zarif IRNA 14 Apr 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif on Sunday criticized the European states for delay in functioning the Instrument in Support of Trade Exchanges (INSTEXT).
- Europe falls far behind its commitments toward Iran: FM Zarif ISNA 14 Apr 2019 -- Iranian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mohammad Javad Zarif said Iran's trade mechanism matching Europe's Instrument in Support of Trade Exchanges (INSTEX) was launched last week, adding that Europeans have fallen far behind their commitments toward Iran.
- Iran's FM Zarif criticizes Europe for delaying INSTEX launch Press TV 14 Apr 2019 -- Iran has once again complained about a delay by European partners in the 2015 nuclear deal to make operational a non-dollar direct payment channel with Tehran, saying they now have "no excuse" for further postponement of the project.
- Iraqi resistance groups express solidarity with Iran's IRGC amid US blacklisting Press TV 14 Apr 2019 -- Iraqi resistance groups, which have been a major partner in the national army's sweeping counter-terrorism operations, have thrown their weight behind Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) in the face of the US blacklisting of the elite military force.
- Iran Summons French Envoy Over Tweet on Sanctions Re-imposition - Reports Sputnik 14 Apr 2019 -- The summoning came in light of a recent tweet by the French ambassador to the US, who stated that sanctions, lifted under JCPOA, could be re-imposed once the deal expires.
- Iranian FM Warns About Consequences of US Labeling IRGC as Terror Entity Sputnik 14 Apr 2019 -- The labelling of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) as a terrorist organisation by the United States will entail consequences and Tehran is going to warn all foreign ministers about them through letters, Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif has stated.
- Floods' damage reaches $2.5 billion: Iran's Interior Minister ISNA 14 Apr 2019 -- Recent floods in Iran have left nearly $2.5 billion damage and hit 25 provinces and more than 4400 villages across the country, Interior Minister Abdolreza Rahmani Fazli said on Sunday.
- 5 Iran provinces remain under flood warning as death toll reaches 76 Press TV 14 Apr 2019 -- Iranian officials are warning that even though floodwaters have been receding in most parts of the country, several provinces remain under a flood warning due to renewed heavy precipitation.
- Iran Says Floods Killed 76, Caused $2.2 Billion In Damage RFE/RL 14 Apr 2019 -- Floods caused by heavy rain across Iran have killed 76 people and caused more than $2.2 billion in damage over the past several weeks, officials say.
- Why Belt and Road Initiative is anything but debt trap People's Daily 14 Apr 2019 -- Almost six years after Chinese President Xi Jinping proposed the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), the grand vision for promoting common development through better connectivity among countries and regions has been morphing into a solution for speeding up global cooperation for greater prosperity.
- Premier Li proposes multiple measures for future China-CEEC cooperation People's Daily 14 Apr 2019 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang on Friday proposed a series of measures to promote cooperation between China and Central and Eastern European Countries (CEECs).
- BoE governor weighs up cost of managed no-deal Brexit against crashing out of EU People's Daily 14 Apr 2019 -- Despite the UK entering into the European Union (EU) exit process more than two years ago, no plan has yet achieved consensus, and all the various options from a no-deal Brexit to no Brexit could still happen.
- Ukrainian President Arrives For Debate In Kyiv, Challenger Doesn't RFE/RL 14 Apr 2019 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko went to Kyiv's Olimpiyskiy Stadium for a presidential election debate, but his challenger didn't show up after a disagreement about the timing.
- Ukraine to Hold Referendum to Join EU After Applying for Membership - President Sputnik 14 Apr 2019 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said on Sunday that he is not opposed to a referendum on the country's accession to the European Union provided it takes place after applying for membership in the bloc.
- Egypt Parliament's Committee Approved President's Term Extension - Reports Sputnik 14 Apr 2019 -- A legislative committee of the Egyptian parliament has approved constitutional amendments extending the presidential term by a majority of vote, the Egyptian state-run television reported.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|